HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Tournament idea

Old
01-13-2009, 04:39 PM
bicycles

vCash: 50
Tournament idea

Here's my idea for a tournament called the Canada Cup.

Basically, in October, you take a week before the season starts and pick a city in Canada to host. Ideally, it would be great to hold each tournament in a huge outdoor stadium. There would be 8 teams (BC Alberta, Sask, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic, and North) made up of players from each province and they'd play a few game round robin then the a championship round. Two top teams would play for the Canada Cup. The NHL pre-season is way too long as it is and I think this would be a way more exciting idea. The US could do something like this too if they want. Even if it was only helf every couple years, I think it would be great. Just curious as to what each provinces team would look like. North might have to merge with another team due to lack of players as well.

bicycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:08 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Man, here I was thinking you were going to propose an Euro-style in-season tournament... now THAT would rock.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorrowis2014 View Post

Basically, in October, you take a week before the season starts and pick a city in Canada to host. Ideally, it would be great to hold each tournament in a huge outdoor stadium. There would be 8 teams (BC Alberta, Sask, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic, and North) made up of players from each province and they'd play a few game round robin then the a championship round. Two top teams would play for the Canada Cup. The NHL pre-season is way too long as it is and I think this would be a way more exciting idea. The US could do something like this too if they want. Even if it was only helf every couple years, I think it would be great. Just curious as to what each provinces team would look like. North might have to merge with another team due to lack of players as well.
Sanderson & Tootoo Vs Team Ontario

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:30 PM
willie

Quote:
Sanderson & Tootoo Vs Team Ontario

If you thought Canada and Kazakhstan was bad at this past WJCs...

No disrespect intended to our great citizens of the North but at ~100,000 people, they would obviously get pummelled by everyone.

Either way, it's a fun concept that I'm sure many have thought of. But our poor overworked hockey players only get 4 or so months off a year and probably couldn't be convinced to enter into such a tourney. Plus NHL teams wont like the risk of injuries.

I think the best we could hope for would be a 4 team tourney during the summer evaluation camp for the Olympics. Perhaps based along the lines BC + Edmonton/Alta. North vs Alta. South + West including NW Ontario vs So. Ontario vs Eastern Canada. Those teams would probably be roughly comparable and give a good look for the Hockey Canada in evaluating the Olympic team.

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 08:14 PM
The Joker
Simba

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post

If you thought Canada and Kazakhstan was bad at this past WJCs...

No disrespect intended to our great citizens of the North but at ~100,000 people, they would obviously get pummelled by everyone.

Either way, it's a fun concept that I'm sure many have thought of. But our poor overworked hockey players only get 4 or so months off a year and probably couldn't be convinced to enter into such a tourney. Plus NHL teams wont like the risk of injuries.

I think the best we could hope for would be a 4 team tourney during the summer evaluation camp for the Olympics. Perhaps based along the lines BC + Edmonton/Alta. North vs Alta. South + West including NW Ontario vs So. Ontario vs Eastern Canada. Those teams would probably be roughly comparable and give a good look for the Hockey Canada in evaluating the Olympic team.
And Saskatchewan just wouldn't get a team even though we've produced a lot of good players?

The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:51 AM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
And Saskatchewan just wouldn't get a team even though we've produced a lot of good players?
Saskatchewan based players would be on the team with Manitoba, Northwestern Ontario & Alberta South. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I just made a rough estimation of what would be fairly equal teams.

Team A: B.C. + Edmonton/Northern Alberta + Yukon
Team B: Calgary/Southern Alberta + Sask + Manitoba + NW Ontario + NWT
Team C: Southern/Central Ontario
Team D: Quebec + Atlantic Canada + Nunavut

It'd be a fun way to evaluate talent for Team Canada's Olympic team.

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:37 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Actually, about a year ago, I started a thread here with the same idea, and I even made the line-up for the 6 teams tournament I was projecting.

1- BC
2- Alberta
3- Saskatchewan & Manitoba
4- Ontario
5- Quebec
6- Atlantic & North

Those line-ups were all pretty strong, with Ontario and Quebec probably having the strongest teams.

Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to find that thread back.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:32 AM
CaptKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorrowis2014 View Post

better give the players some water wings too

CaptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Chootoi

I've always thought a good idea for a tournament would be an NCAA Final-Four style tourney for the CHL teams, and then invite a few USHL teams to fill the remaining spots so that you have 64 teams.

then you have 4 host cities and play them off in brackets. you could allow the losers to play exhibition games against each other to make the trip worth while.

there'd have to be some funding in place to accomodate the travel, but it would allow for interleague play which could spike interest and generate some revenue to be share amongst the CHL.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote