HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Swiss prospects

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2009, 07:22 PM
  #1
swisshockey
 
swisshockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Swiss prospects

Thought it would be good to start a thread on them with the NHL releasing its midterm rankings the other day.

We did pretty well on the goalies list (Flueler and Conz).
Less so on the skaters list (as expected).

Some more info on Flueler.

swisshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:17 AM
  #2
ilsuonatorejones
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisshockey View Post
Thought it would be good to start a thread on them with the NHL releasing its midterm rankings the other day.

We did pretty well on the goalies list (Flueler and Conz).
Less so on the skaters list (as expected).

Some more info on Flueler.
Doesn't exist a site introducing to the swiss Prospects?

ilsuonatorejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:13 AM
  #3
swisshockey
 
swisshockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsuonatorejones View Post
Doesn't exist a site introducing to the swiss Prospects?
I haven't been able to find one.

swisshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:30 AM
  #4
koh19
Registered User
 
koh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
yeah, this draft year is pretty weak. Nobody really stands out for switzerland.
Apart from that, I cannot understand why nobody's picked Dino Wieser up yet!?!? he could have been chosen last year already.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:57 PM
  #5
swisshockey
 
swisshockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
yeah, this draft year is pretty weak. Nobody really stands out for switzerland.
Apart from that, I cannot understand why nobody's picked Dino Wieser up yet!?!? he could have been chosen last year already.
probably because he has a nice salary he wouldn't want to give up? A lot of these guys were available last year. I think Flueler and Conz, the other goalie, are good bets to go. Other than that?

swisshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:56 PM
  #6
koh19
Registered User
 
koh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
yeah but making the HC Davos team as a 17 year old, that's quite an achievement. He also had a great spengler cup!

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:43 PM
  #7
zecke26
Registered User
 
zecke26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 500
what's going on with sciaroni? he's on the CSB list for the 3rd time. he doesn't seem to get much ice-time with ambri and plans to leave i heard. is he still among the better players of his age group?

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:50 PM
  #8
koh19
Registered User
 
koh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
what's going on with sciaroni? he's on the CSB list for the 3rd time. he doesn't seem to get much ice-time with ambri and plans to leave i heard. is he still among the better players of his age group?
yep. Ambri is having a terrible season and Scarioni isn't IMO as good as last year. Apparently, other swiss elite league teams are interested in him.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:51 PM
  #9
ilsuonatorejones
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisshockey View Post
probably because he has a nice salary he wouldn't want to give up? A lot of these guys were available last year. I think Flueler and Conz, the other goalie, are good bets to go. Other than that?
Maybe Schaeppi next year - only if he plays in NLA or impresses in wjc.
Flueler is our only likely drafted this year; Conz has some chanches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
yeah but making the HC Davos team as a 17 year old, that's quite an achievement. He also had a great spengler cup!
Perhaps his development hasn't been so spectacular. I don't know.
He's not that good technically and he hasn't great scorers talent. Sure, he has the skating, the explosiveness, the physicalness, the two-ways game in nuce to turn into a new Ambühl, but apparently now is far from being a top prospect.

ilsuonatorejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:57 PM
  #10
ilsuonatorejones
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fribourg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
what's going on with sciaroni? he's on the CSB list for the 3rd time. he doesn't seem to get much ice-time with ambri and plans to leave i heard. is he still among the better players of his age group?
Yes. He has some talent, but he struggles to produce good things on offense. Probably he lacks of maturity.
He'lls play in Davos next season.


Last edited by ilsuonatorejones: 01-14-2009 at 04:41 PM.
ilsuonatorejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 02:21 PM
  #11
TheFirstSaviour
 
TheFirstSaviour's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver/Basel
Country: Canada
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Swisshockey, great site!

Weber is a safe bet for Montreal next season, IMO.

The Habs only have four returning Dmen under contract, and Gorges and O'Byrne are not potentially as effective at moving the puck and playing in the Top 4 as he is (although Gorges did put up good numbers as a junior). Markov and Hamrlik are the other two under contract still.

Therefore, there is a real opening on D for guys like McDonagh or Weber to take. Weber, having played in the AHL this season, is the favourite for that spot. Subban is still a few years away and Fischer is not as good a prospect as the three other aforementioned players, IMO.

If Gainey is still in change, he will need to start bringing these guys in to justify letting Streit and Souray walk in the past. The entire province of Quebec is demanding answers for their massive drop in power play percentage this season. Hence, the Schneider trade at the deadline.

They will certainly do everything they can to keep Komisarek and possibly even Schneider as well, however. Still, there is at least one (or possibly two) openings back for Weber to take.

Expect the Habs to have a new look next season in general, with the core of their team (minus Markov, the Kostistsyns and the Goalies) entering free agency.

Weber is in the perfect situation.

TheFirstSaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 09:12 PM
  #12
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirstSaviour View Post
Swisshockey, great site!

Weber is a safe bet for Montreal next season, IMO.

The Habs only have four returning Dmen under contract, and Gorges and O'Byrne are not potentially as effective at moving the puck and playing in the Top 4 as he is (although Gorges did put up good numbers as a junior). Markov and Hamrlik are the other two under contract still.

Therefore, there is a real opening on D for guys like McDonagh or Weber to take. Weber, having played in the AHL this season, is the favourite for that spot. Subban is still a few years away and Fischer is not as good a prospect as the three other aforementioned players, IMO.

If Gainey is still in change, he will need to start bringing these guys in to justify letting Streit and Souray walk in the past. The entire province of Quebec is demanding answers for their massive drop in power play percentage this season. Hence, the Schneider trade at the deadline.

They will certainly do everything they can to keep Komisarek and possibly even Schneider as well, however. Still, there is at least one (or possibly two) openings back for Weber to take.

Expect the Habs to have a new look next season in general, with the core of their team (minus Markov, the Kostistsyns and the Goalies) entering free agency.

Weber is in the perfect situation.
You think so ? i would be happy. In fact i thought the same, but i have some doubts because :

... at a point in time they brought up from AHL 3 players : ... d'agostini, weber and ... (do not remember his name) ... weber played 1 game and was benched ... never had his chance again. the 2 others played regularly.

then Habs problem in PP was too obvious. Weber, if mature or if convinient was too obviously the answer ... the mob was asking for it ... some journalist with hockey specialisation started speculating on weber joininig the Habs ... Carbo did nothing in that sense, as well as Gainey ...

I would be happy seing Weber playing in Habs' PP, yet i wouldn't be surpised to see him staying another year in hamilton. (where by the way he is doing pretty well ... beating record of goals for a Dmen).

I understand also that Dmen are NHL ready later ... and that Weber must bulk up a bit.

but I hope you are right ... of course.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 09:36 AM
  #13
TheFirstSaviour
 
TheFirstSaviour's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver/Basel
Country: Canada
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
My prediction is based only on speculation, and I haven't had a chance to see Weber this year, so please take it for what it's worth.

But I will say that the Habs will most certainly be looking to renovate this summer. Weber will be 21 when the season starts next year and is putting up unreal numbers in the AHL. The fact he was called up at all is impressive, considering he is only a rookie and a defenseman. He is without a doubt in my mind their best defensive propsect in the AHL right now, and assuming that he doesn't need to stay behind and work on defensive short comings I can't see why Montreal would want to keep him in a league where he is already dominating.

I think the minutes that guys like Doughty and Bogosian are logging prove that NHL teams are more willing to give young players a chance to play a large role.

He will be a third pairing defenseman in the NHL next season. By the end of the year, he may even be playing 18 minutes or more a night.

Like I said, however, this is merely my prediction.

TheFirstSaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:41 AM
  #14
stv11
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
You think so ? i would be happy. In fact i thought the same, but i have some doubts because :

... at a point in time they brought up from AHL 3 players : ... d'agostini, weber and ... (do not remember his name) ... weber played 1 game and was benched ... never had his chance again. the 2 others played regularly.

then Habs problem in PP was too obvious. Weber, if mature or if convinient was too obviously the answer ... the mob was asking for it ... some journalist with hockey specialisation started speculating on weber joininig the Habs ... Carbo did nothing in that sense, as well as Gainey ...

I would be happy seing Weber playing in Habs' PP, yet i wouldn't be surpised to see him staying another year in hamilton. (where by the way he is doing pretty well ... beating record of goals for a Dmen).

I understand also that Dmen are NHL ready later ... and that Weber must bulk up a bit.

but I hope you are right ... of course.
I think the third player you're thinking about is Pacioretty. And both he and D'Agostini are forwards, so you really can't compare their cases with Weber's.

I also don't agree about the Habs' problem on the power play being solely the lack of a big shooter (or maybe it was indirectly, as Markov had to take up that role and so couldn't be used as a PP QB anymore), poor play by the forwards also played a big role.

And fortunately for the Habs, Gainey doesn't base his opinion on what the fans and the medias want

Anyway, with Bouillon and probably Schneider gone, and O'Byrne not bringing much skill, Weber will probably get his fair share of NHL action.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 02:54 PM
  #15
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
I think the third player you're thinking about is Pacioretty. And both he and D'Agostini are forwards, so you really can't compare their cases with Weber's.

I also don't agree about the Habs' problem on the power play being solely the lack of a big shooter (or maybe it was indirectly, as Markov had to take up that role and so couldn't be used as a PP QB anymore), poor play by the forwards also played a big role.

And fortunately for the Habs, Gainey doesn't base his opinion on what the fans and the medias want

Anyway, with Bouillon and probably Schneider gone, and O'Byrne not bringing much skill, Weber will probably get his fair share of NHL action.
i am not comparing the players among them, but rather the fact that they were called ... and Weber only played once. Not even 2 times. While their PP problem was obvious.

About what Gainey not basing his opinion on the fans and on the medias ... as you say ... fortunately he doesn't. Yet some journalists still are good in analyzing the game and the players. You see clearly that the fan base (not all again !!) or the journalists are of much higher level than the ones we have here. Since there are some good ones, you can expect that through their analysis they reach same conclusions than other knowledgeable people. This is what i refer to.

And because he is swiss, i would love him to succeed in NHL, i wish he gets a spot next year. Yet i simply wouldn't be surprised if he would spend another year in AHL for the different elements that facts i noticed that are singns that Gainey / Carbo (not important anymore) do not deem him NHL ready.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 03:54 AM
  #16
TheFirstSaviour
 
TheFirstSaviour's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver/Basel
Country: Canada
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Can anyone please tell me more about Reto Schaeppi? He seemed to have a good u-18. He also has good size.

TheFirstSaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:10 PM
  #17
MrSports*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirstSaviour View Post
Can anyone please tell me more about Reto Schaeppi? He seemed to have a good u-18. He also has good size.
Size is not the only matter in the tournament. He needs more time
and enough exposure to be drafted in other teams.


http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/...layer.cgi?7640

MrSports* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.