HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Habs lose 3-1

Old
01-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Did we actually play with "passion" last year? Does this team or any Habs team in the last 10 years play with passion? There have been some great moments but I don't think passion is the right word. Where was the passion when we were trailing last night, where was it when Thomas hit Andrei? There's lots to like about this team, but their "passion" is one of the only things that worry me.
I don't think you can overcome a 5-0 deficit vs a very talented team without passion.
Ya, we played with passion last year.

As for yesterday, the Thomas hit, I don't know what you're talking about because there was a pile up after that. His bro jumped on Chara's back and there was 3-4players down, and Gorges tackled Savard down.
What about Chipchura dropping the gloves after the hit on D'Ago(which was worse than the A.Kost one)??..

I think people nitpick a lot. We can't fight after every hit, but we never back down.
Remember Toronto?..Bouillon fighting May??..Kosto vs Mayers??..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:33 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Wow Bob Gainey, you must not have taken this mornings meds, you traded last years first rounder for Tanguay.
Both of you are right:

On June 20, 2008, during the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Tanguay waived his no-trade clause and was traded to the Montreal Canadiens along with a fifth-round pick in 2008 (Maxim Trunev) in exchange for the 25th overall pick (Greg Nemisz) and a second-round pick in 2009.[3][4]

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:34 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I'm so sorry to burst your bubble, but even Price could not have stopped the 2nd goal period
Probably not, but who knows really... Maybe he could positioned him self a little better and since he is bigger, it could have gone off his shoulder. But maybe Price would have let in one of the shots Halak saved...again, I don't know. My point is just that he's gonna have to be able to steal one for his team once in a while if he wants to be a good #1 goalie in this league.

I didn't intend to bash Halak in this thread, just to say i'm dissapointed globaly in his performances since he took over from Price. You can't fault me just looking at his stats in the 6 games since...I just wish he could have stepped up a little more is all. Its just my opinion and nothing more.

3.5 GAA + .894 SV PCT

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:35 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Great moves by Carbo. Lapierre line on the PP and with 2 mins left, after an icing too. Great coaching.
How on earth can you blame our coach for this loss?? Just unbelievable....Carbo haters must watch the games just to find reasons, no matter how far reaching, to bash the coaching.

His scoring lines were tired and he wanted the AK line out there with the goalie pulled. Plus, the Laps line has been wonderful at keeping the opposing team hemmed in and generating chaos and scoring chances.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Ya but how can you argue with his stats recently up to and including last nights game?? I'm just sick of "played well"..we need Halak to play amazing sometimes..we can't always score 5 goals to help him out (even though I know at the start of the year we coulden't score a lick for him while he was in nets). I don't think he's the type of goalie that can win games by himself like Thomas or Price can which is the point i'm getting to.

Its not about "having a weak case", its about him not performing as well as we need him to. It might be "his" best...but if that's his best, we need Carey back soon.
I disagree.
What about 2years ago when he was the only reason we still had a shot at making the POs in the last game?
We know he can be clutch.

But give the kid a break too, before Carey went down, Halak was used once every 2weeks. Now he's seeing extensive ice time, but I personally find he's getting better every game and made some really nice saves yesterday as well.

Old
01-14-2009, 11:38 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I disagree.
What about 2years ago when he was the only reason we still had a shot at making the POs in the last game?
We know he can be clutch

But give the kid a break too, before Carey went down, Halak was used once every 2weeks. Now he's seeing extensive ice time, but I personally find he's getting better every game and made some really nice saves yesterday as well.
Thats what we both agree on and why I have been dissapointed with the Jaro of this year. I know he can play better then he has.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
Both of you are right:

On June 20, 2008, during the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Tanguay waived his no-trade clause and was traded to the Montreal Canadiens along with a fifth-round pick in 2008 (Maxim Trunev) in exchange for the 25th overall pick (Greg Nemisz) and a second-round pick in 2009.[3][4]
Huet was traded for a 2010 2nd round draft pick, not a 2009

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:40 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The big problem I have with the Hamrlik penality is they didn't call the exact same thing in the 2nd, right before the fringe call on Brisebois that led to the 1st goal.

Thomas was more than stellar, he made 3-4 great saves.

I agree on the Lapierre line, if he keeps overplaying them they'll get tired and not be nearly as effective.
Good observation about the Lapierre line. Can they keep up their effective crash and bang style of play with so many minutes and long shifts? Plus, they kill penalties (but not Lats) and they now have PP time.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post

3.5 GAA + .894 SV PCT
I don't think that's fair.
Your #1 Goalie gets injured, and you ask your young goalie to come in after playing once every 2weeks. He had 2bad games in that span where he seemed lost and allowed 9G, after that he started playing better.
There's only the 5-4W over WSH where he gave up a lot of goals too but that happens.

Old
01-14-2009, 11:43 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think that's fair.
Your #1 Goalie gets injured, and you ask your young goalie to come in after playing once every 2weeks. He had 2bad games in that span where he seemed lost and allowed 9G, after that he started playing better.
There's only the 5-4W over WSH where he gave up a lot of goals too but that happens.

he does want to be a #1 in this league doesn't he ? then he should play like one.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:46 AM
1UP

I liked the game. Because when it came to the play in the ice, it showed the Habs are competitive with the Bruins, with the same amount of hurt players.

The difference was that Price is hurt too.

Now, seriously, Thomas wasn't lucky. He played like an all star. He is currently among the best goalies of the league. Whether this will continue or not, who knows (I believe it will), but there is no luck there. He works hard on his crease. As seen by his hit on Kostitsyn (grrrr!), he has passion.

The game was a wonderful hockey game. But Lee came and ****ed it up.

Plain and simple.

In the 3rd, what I saw was the Habs not knowing what they could do or not to the opposition to stop them. They were afraid to take penalties and were much less aggressive on the players. Bruins bottled us nicely.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:49 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

I had some sweet coin on this game.

Frustrating loss for sure. Thomas was magic, and we got killed by the refs...

We outplayed them, for sure.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Good observation about the Lapierre line. Can they keep up their effective crash and bang style of play with so many minutes and long shifts? Plus, they kill penalties (but not Lats) and they now have PP time.
My roommate is a die hard habs fan and he was literally pulling his hair out over the amount of ice time Lapierre's line got, and the fact they were on the PP...

Personally I was just confused why Kovalev's line wasn't out much (he generally burns the bruins) or Lang's line wasn't out too much either (which might be the hottest line for the habs right now)

I think Carbo was out coached this game personally, not sure what he was trying to do, but you cannot depend on your 3rd and 4th liner guys to carry the load like that, you need to go to your weapons to score... maybe he was trying to get a matchup or something constantly... I am not sure, but my roommate (die hard Habs) was pissed...and I was just confused, didn't make sense

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Zendevi

The Bruins are proving to be a real force this season - extra kudos to Thomas! He looks like he has no idea what he's doing and still manages to make not only the big saves but the small ones too; his stats are really amazing.

At the end of the day though the Bruins played a Habs team that didn't include their captain, their starting goaltender or one of their top scorers and were still dominated for most of the game by a stronger and more committed Canadiens team.

Final note: somebody tell Kovalev that he's an bum and that even the most loyal fans of Les Habitants cringe every single time he flies up the middle of the ice alone with the puck only to lose it to the defense and force a turnover. We cringe even more when he randomly bats an opposing player with his stick and takes stupid penalty after stupid penalty. Time for him to find a new home I think.

GO HABS GO!

Zendevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Wow Bob Gainey, you must not have taken this mornings meds, you traded last years first rounder for Tanguay.
Hey thanks. The '08 first and the '09 second were used to get Tanguay. Don't beleive me? Google NHL trade history and click the first link.

PS
I did take my morning meds, don't you see how excited and full of energy I look?

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I had some sweet coin on this game.

Frustrating loss for sure. Thomas was magic, and we got killed by the refs...

We outplayed them, for sure.
Not the FULL 60minutes did you out play them...the first period for sure, espicially the first 10 minutes, I think Boston only had 3 or 4 shots on net...the second period was more equal and the 3rd I thought personally went to Boston

You cannot blame the refs for the loss...sure Akost should have gotten maybe 2 minutes instead of 5...but the league is looking to crack down on hits from behind, the player never turned...his back was to play the whole time and he was hit from behind...deserved a 2mins...5 was harsh, but you can't blame the refs on 1 call... if your going to say the tripping call which was made was BS (you have every right) BUT that was a make up call for the bad call the ref gave to Ryder (giving you the 1-0 lead)...so those wash eachother out

Refs will make bad calls...its not like the Hurricanes game where it was a farce, this was overall a well managed hockey game, not the best mind you, but certainley not the worst

Old
01-14-2009, 12:00 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
My roommate is a die hard habs fan and he was literally pulling his hair out over the amount of ice time Lapierre's line got, and the fact they were on the PP...

Personally I was just confused why Kovalev's line wasn't out much (he generally burns the bruins) or Lang's line wasn't out too much either (which might be the hottest line for the habs right now)

I think Carbo was out coached this game personally, not sure what he was trying to do, but you cannot depend on your 3rd and 4th liner guys to carry the load like that, you need to go to your weapons to score... maybe he was trying to get a matchup or something constantly... I am not sure, but my roommate (die hard Habs) was pissed...and I was just confused, didn't make sense

Yea, I couldn't believe that when the Bruins got a penalty on MaxPac and then there was a TV time out, Carbo's first PP unit was Lang and the bros (no problem there) but then the Lapierre line was the second PP unit with Kovy and Plek sitting on the bench. It's not like they've been playing bad lately and were being punished. The Plek line has been very good. Actually, the PP had been very good lately.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Not the FULL 60minutes did you out play them...the first period for sure, espicially the first 10 minutes, I think Boston only had 3 or 4 shots on net...the second period was more equal and the 3rd I thought personally went to Boston

You cannot blame the refs for the loss...sure Akost should have gotten maybe 2 minutes instead of 5...but the league is looking to crack down on hits from behind, the player never turned...his back was to play the whole time and he was hit from behind...deserved a 2mins...5 was harsh, but you can't blame the refs on 1 call... if your going to say the tripping call which was made was BS (you have every right) BUT that was a make up call for the bad call the ref gave to Ryder (giving you the 1-0 lead)...so those wash eachother out

Refs will make bad calls...its not like the Hurricanes game where it was a farce, this was overall a well managed hockey game, not the best mind you, but certainley not the worst
I blame Thomas more than anyone else, robbing us blind at least 3 times in the 3rd.

The 5 minute boarding and the 2 minutes to Hamrlik giving the Bruins a full 2 minute 5-3 was harsh though...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:

What about the high stick in the 1st period on Begin?The hit from behind on D'agostini by any chance?So IMO and I do ref hockey if you're going to let them play then let them play but the game will get out of hand and it did yesterday when they awarded a 5 minute penalty to Kostitsyn.I wouldn't even have given him a 2.Not the worst it i've seen and Ward got up pretty quickly.What about Savard hitting Komisarek after the whistle?That was ok right?Then bruin fans wonder we he goes after these little punks like savard

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
I blame Thomas more than anyone else, robbing us blind at least 3 times in the 3rd.

The 5 minute boarding and the 2 minutes to Hamrlik giving the Bruins a full 2 minute 5-3 was harsh though...
Yeah no doubt, Thomas played good... made some key saves in the end...

The one thing that was frustrating me watching the game I had the VS feed, so the hamrlik penalty they never showed a replay, I think it was for highsticking (might be wrong) but for a lot of the penalties (on both sides) watching it at full speed you couldn't see why it was a penalty, and just hope they would replay it so you can see...but they never did... i can understand not doing that live at the game (in order not to get the fans pissed at the areana) but show it for the viewers at home at least

Old
01-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

penalty to Hamrlik was a very good call,Kostitsyn well I guess the referees decide how bad the players go down on the hits they get

Old
01-14-2009, 12:08 PM
roy munson
Bon voyage capitaine

"I hate the smell of defeat in the morning".

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Yeah no doubt, Thomas played good... made some key saves in the end...

The one thing that was frustrating me watching the game I had the VS feed, so the hamrlik penalty they never showed a replay, I think it was for highsticking (might be wrong) but for a lot of the penalties (on both sides) watching it at full speed you couldn't see why it was a penalty, and just hope they would replay it so you can see...but they never did... i can understand not doing that live at the game (in order not to get the fans pissed at the areana) but show it for the viewers at home at least
Cross checking and it was the right call

Old
01-14-2009, 12:13 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:

very good points
i was pissed too, didn't understand what Carbo was trying to do

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Cross checking and it was the right call
Your right... I remember it now, it was on St. Pierre

But I just found it frustrating they didn't show the replays of the penalties that is all you need so you have a good idea of what happened and make your opinion....in real time its hard, and sometimes a penalty will happen in the corner of the camera away from the puck...and i mean all penatlies, not just habs, but bruins too so you have a better idea... i dunno, i would prefer that personally