HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Canucks Doing their Best Tom Petty Impersonation

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2009, 09:44 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Canucks Doing their Best Tom Petty Impersonation

Can anyone stop the free fall?

Watching this team tonight I'm sure I can't be the only one thinking it. I'm sure I'm going to get a whole boat load of "I told you so's", I can handle it at this point. That first 20 minutes of the period pretty much sums up the direction this team is heading best.

The team looks like they have quit on their coach and more importantly themselves. AV has been throwing people under the bus and calling everyone out but to no affect. I sure hope Luongo coming back on Thursday lights a fire under these guys because 8-16 in their last 24 games is not going to cut it, and everyone else seems to have games in hand.

We can all talk about Sundin til we're red in the face, but it's obvious we need another move or two at the deadline to have any chance to keep ourselves afloat unless they learn to play together.

The inability to beat bottom feeder teams like the Blues and the Thrashers is what is going to drive this team into the dirt. The fact that losses like that seem to come in regulation is even more disturbing, as anything less than a point against them should be unnacceptable.

What's it going to take to get this team back on track?

Edit- Me personally I think we can go a long way with the pieces we have, but if we are still losing 3-4 games after Luongo comes back AV has got to go.

Let me be perfectly clear: Even if the Canucks come back to win this one tonight, it cannot be ignored. They have not been themselves for the better part of a month, and "good" teams should never play like they have at certain points. It's been plain for everyone to see. I'm confident that Luongo coming back will bring a winning personality back to the team and have a trickle down effect, but can we rely on that?

Apparently I wasn't clear enough. I am not giving up on the team. I'm simply raising the question that if Luongo were to say re-aggravate his injury soon after coming back, this team does not seem to have the culture around them to make a long drive for the cup. Heres to them proving me wrong.

Last edited by wilty00: 01-13-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old
01-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
They should be fine with Luongo, I think. With that [healthy] defense and goaltending, they should be able to make the playoffs....and the scoring will only improve.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Jag68Sid87

vCash: 500
I was trying to figure out the song you were using as an analogy before I clicked on the thread. I thought more of "The Waiting", as in first for Sundin and now for Luongo, or "Breakdown" as in system. Or maybe it's "Running down a dream" if they turn it around.

This is fun.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Tripwyre

Stop dragging my heart around.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

I like how most Canuck fans are saying the game tonight would be tied 0-0 if Luongo was in net. Admit it, your team is very overrated and it shows.

Sundin

Old
01-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Tripwyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shogun_ View Post
I like how most Canuck fans are saying the game tonight would be tied 0-0 if Luongo was in net. Admit it, your team is very overrated and it shows.

Sundin
Have you seen any of the goals?

Old
01-13-2009, 09:52 PM
caycanuck

Quote:

Sundin
Well it wouldn't be 3-0, that's for sure. But, Luongo can't make us generate offense, so we'd probably still have a goose egg on the scoreboard.

Old
NJ_Devil_Boy

What a boring game?

Old
source

Quote:

Sundin
It's a bit early to call him out. If after 20 games he hasn't improved his play, then you can judge.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Geez, even if Calgary tails off and winds up with 95 pts. this division could be theirs. Vancouver has been blowing it against every type of team lately. And at home too. I'd be pissed as a Canuck fan right now. They have a pretty unclutch offense (see the many one goal losses where they had a whole period to chip away) and when their offense and PP does wake up, it seems their defense and goaltending go straight to hell (see 6-4 loss to St. Louis). Like Habs fans, Canucks fans should put catching up to the division winner aside for a minute and hope the team just focuses on securing a comfortable spot in the top 8 because Calgary is smoothly sailing along while the Nucks are finding it hard to beat anyone right now.

Old
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I can't believe you Canuck fans don't appreciate Zajac's play on that 2nd goal.

Old
wilty00

Quote:

Sundin

People are pissed, but I have not seen a SINGLE person say that to this point.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Vintage93

Running down a dream?
- The ultimate goal to win the Stanley Cup

Learning to fly?
- Going through growing pains without their franchise netminder and new star centre?

Old
01-13-2009, 09:59 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quit yer drama. The Canucks are having a bad game and it's not really necessary to drag this to the main board and have everyone mock the Canucks.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:03 PM
40oz

Wilty00, I wouldnt be so quick to get rid of AV. Good coaches are hard to comeby.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:04 PM
wilty00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakovsky View Post
Quit yer drama. The Canucks are having a bad game and it's not really necessary to drag this to the main board and have everyone mock the Canucks.
I, and I think a few others, would argue it's more than just a bad game. They've been on a slide for a solid month. The San Jose game before Xmas was a BAD GAME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Wilty00, I wouldnt be so quick to get rid of AV. Good coaches are hard to comeby.
And I'm willing to wait for one to come around.

AV is not the "good coach" this team needs at the moment. He has never improved in his second season with a team and has only gone downhill after. I don't see him bucking the trend.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:05 PM
fools russian

a lot of fans holding onto Luongo's absence as an excuse, but the team absolutely should not be performing this badly without him. both Sanford and LaBarbara are competent backups. something else is going on here.

if there's another collapse like last season, with the team we have now, I'll a hard time looking forward to success next season unless something pretty significant changes.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:09 PM
wilty00

Quote:
Originally Posted by fools russian View Post
a lot of fans holding onto Luongo's absence as an excuse, but the team absolutely should not be performing this badly without him. both Sanford and LaBarbara are competent backups. something else is going on here.

if there's another collapse like last season, with the team we have now, I'll a hard time looking forward to success next season unless something pretty significant changes.
Brodeur is down and the Devils seem to be doing okay.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
Brodeur is down and the Devils seem to be doing okay.
That's because our group of forwards is better than your group of forwards. Your defense is better than ours though.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:11 PM
noobman

Having Luongo back will boost the team's on-ice confidence, and will give them a goalie to bail them out.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Tripwyre

This Thursday:

Old
01-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Warren Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
I can't believe you Canuck fans don't appreciate Zajac's play on that 2nd goal.
It was a good passing play, but the finish most likely would have been stopped by Luongo. No one is saying the Canucks would be winning with Luongo, but he usually keeps us in games until the end when nothing else is going right.

I think the Canucks play lately makes a good case for Luongo getting the Hart. With Luongo the Canucks are number three in the West, without him they are last.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:16 PM
guinness
those were the days

I don't see what the problem is, other than the Canucks starting their failure a bit early this year.

Conversely, the season is only about halfway through, it's not over yet, so anything is possible.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Anthony*

the flames are still better with luongo and sundin

itll be interesting to see what the excuse is when the 2 TIME VEZINA RUNNER UP is finally healthy

Old
01-13-2009, 10:23 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
the flames are still better with luongo and sundin

itll be interesting to see what the excuse is when the 2 TIME VEZINA RUNNER UP is finally healthy
Better in the regular season standings at least. I don't know how Calgary is doing it, their best players are mostly big minuses and Kiprusoff's numbers are ass ugly. Balance and depth, I suppose.

You lose tonight Vancouver, and you're four points up Edmonton in 3 more games played. That puts your winning percentage dangerously close to ours.

Luongo will probably destroy that though. Dude's good.

Closed Thread