HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Canucks Doing their Best Tom Petty Impersonation

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2009, 12:41 AM
Ol Dirty Bstrd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Well I would trust the opinion of an actual nhl coach who just watched the devils play over some people on a messageboard.
Here...let me try to walk you through this.

Lets look at the Devils first goal. It involved a dump in where your goalie came out to play the puck. The Devils had 2 men BELOW THE GOAL LINE, and one man in the slot who scored the goal. YOU DONT SAY????

The second goal was a two on one STARTED FROM THEIR BREAK OUT. But I thought trapping teams only created chances off of turnovers?!?!?!?!???????

The third goal - once again a dump which required your goaltender to come out because the Devils were FORECHECKING HARD.

And the fourth goal? A 3 on 1. GASP!! ALL THREE FORWARDS ON ONE RUSH?!?!?!?!?

I hope that made it a little bit simpler for you. I have a feeling you might have trouble with it still.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:42 AM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog Hodgson View Post
Actually, it appears, quite the opposite is true. Clemmy actually has a higher SVP% then Brodeur had when he went down, while the Canucks goaltending, has been significantly worse then Luongo.
Save% can be a very misleading statistic. Clemmer hasn't been winning us many games he's just prevented us from losing. Our offense and defense has been the key to us staying afloat. Everyone one on our team has stepped it up.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:42 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Actually, it appears, quite the opposite is true. Clemmy actually has a higher SVP% then Brodeur had when he went down, while the Canucks goaltending, has been significantly worse then Luongo.
Look at Clemmy's number after tonight..........his save percentage is dropping. Don't mistake that hot streak he had with him being any good. His rebound control is horrible and lets just say we're so so lucky to have Martin Brodeur manning our nets.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:45 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
You guys have the trap to protect you and clemmer's stats are far superior to any of the goalies the canucks have used during luongo's absence. The canucks aren't even getting average goaltending right now. We're getting below average to terrible goaltending at the moment.
No, since Brodeur went out we are scoring over 3 goals a game...thats why we are winning. Last year we scored 2.5 goals a game.

Old
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur4Vez View Post
Here...let me try to walk you through this.

Lets look at the Devils first goal. It involved a dump in where your goalie came out to play the puck. The Devils had 2 men BELOW THE GOAL LINE, and one man in the slot who scored the goal. YOU DONT SAY????

The second goal was a two on one STARTED FROM THEIR BREAK OUT. But I thought trapping teams only created chances off of turnovers?!?!?!?!???????

The third goal - once again a dump which required your goaltender to come out because the Devils were FORECHECKING HARD.

And the fourth goal? A 3 on 1. GASP!! ALL THREE FORWARDS ON ONE RUSH?!?!?!?!?

I hope that made it a little bit simpler for you. I have a feeling you might have trouble with it still.
You can argue till you're blue in the face, but I'll take the word of a jack adams winning coach over some random person on a messageboard.

Old
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Look at Clemmy's number after tonight..........his save percentage is dropping. Don't mistake that hot streak he had with him being any good. His rebound control is horrible and lets just say we're so so lucky to have Martin Brodeur manning our nets.
We keep winning because every player has stepped up their game big time. We have incredible depth and are scoring goals because we apply pressure on the forecheck and no longer line match. Our backups have kept us afloat nothing more.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:46 AM
daveskirtun
:o)

Quote:
You can argue till you're blue in the face, but I'll take the word of a jack adams winning coach over some random person on a messageboard.
Bitter much?

For you

Old
01-14-2009, 12:47 AM
Ol Dirty Bstrd

Quote:
Actually, take a look at the offensive numbers since Brodeur went down if you can get your hands on them. While we have been getting adequate goaltending, the offense usually carries the load. I forget the stat but our record is pretty horrible in low scoring games this year, which was never the case with Brodeur. The Devils were shutout 11 times last year and held to one goal 15 other times, which means there were 26 games in which Brodeur had to be perfect or near perfect for them to stand a chance, and they were one of the top teams in the conference last year.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:47 AM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Miss Nieds View Post
Bitter much?

For you
Why would I be bitter? I just relayed what AV said his in post game comments. Some devils fans didn't like the message. They're not even my own comments.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:48 AM
Bourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzrule27 View Post
We keep winning because every player has stepped up their game big time. We have incredible depth and are scoring goals because we apply pressure on the forecheck and no longer line match. Our backups have kept us afloat nothing more.
Therein lies the difference. Instead of having our players step up and push for more offense, our coach is content with trapping our way towards victory. Too bad it's not working.

The Devils seem to be having fun out there; the Canucks are miserable.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:48 AM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Why would I be bitter? I just relayed what AV said his in post game comments. Some devils fans didn't like the message.
Because it's silly and totally inaccurate.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Rover*

Quote:
Because it's silly and totally inaccurate.
So you're saying AV is a liar and that people on a messageboard know more about hockey than a jack adams winning coach?

Old
01-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Here's the funny part..............you're a random person on a message board who detracts Brodeur all the time........but I'll trust the general managers who vote on the Vezina to make the right call in awarding those Vezinas to Brodeur and NOT that pissant Luongo.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Save% can be a very misleading statistic. Clemmer hasn't been winning us many games he's just prevented us from losing. Our offense and defense has been the key to us staying afloat. Everyone one on our team has stepped it up.
I agree, I've watched the devils quite a bit this year, Sutter has them playing hard and as a team. Not many will agree but it wouldn't surprise me to see them come out of the east this year.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
So you're saying AV is a liar and that people on a messageboard know more about hockey than a jack adams winning coach?
Precisely, just like the rest of the GM's like SC Winning Ken Holland and Lou Lamoriello are liars and Luongo is the true Vezina winner of years past.

Old
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon View Post
Therein lies the difference. Instead of having our players step up and push for more offense, our coach is content with trapping our way towards victory. Too bad it's not working.

The Devils seem to be having fun out there; the Canucks are miserable.
I think the Devs learned this when they brought Sutter in as coach. The trap isn't going to win you much anymore. It can get you by in the regular season but you just can't rely on it anymore. Sutter has transformed the way the Devils play hockey. Unfortunately he has 15 years of trapping stigma to erase from other hockey fans minds before they realize we aren't the same devils. Sure we still focus on defense but not the trap.

Old
Ol Dirty Bstrd

Quote:
So you admit you didnt watch the game then? That or you obviously cant form an opinion yourself, since AV's word seems to be indisputable according to yourself.

Be honest with yourself. If you know ANYTHING AT ALL about hockey, you'll admit that the Devils first and third goals required HARD 2 MAN FORECHECKING. If you cant admit that, youre an even bigger joke than I thought. Rather than try to dance around this issue like I know you would love to, answer me this:

Is the statement I just made about the Devils first and third goals accurate?

Old
01-14-2009, 12:52 AM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Yes and I'm saying he's an idiot and obviously has no clue about hockey.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Here's the funny part..............you're a random person on a message board who detracts Brodeur all the time........but I'll trust the general managers who vote on the Vezina to make the right call in awarding those Vezinas to Brodeur and NOT that pissant Luongo.
Well here's the ironic part. You don't believe me about brodeur because I'm a random person on a messageboard, so why would you want me to believe you over an nhl coach in this case? If you want me to believe you over an nhl coach, then you're going to have to believe me about brodeur.

Quote:
So you admit you didnt watch the game then? That or you obviously cant form an opinion yourself, since AV's word seems to be indisputable according to yourself.
No I never admitted to not watching the game, because I watched the game. I just took my own opinion out of it and used AV's opinion on the game cause he has more credibility than me.

Quote:
Yes and I'm saying he's an idiot and obviously has no clue about hockey.
Interesting....

Old
01-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Why would I be bitter? I just relayed what AV said his in post game comments. Some devils fans didn't like the message. They're not even my own comments.
Why wouldn't he, he also is using Sundin as an excuse to his team not being ready against St Louis and New Jersey. He is using one of his players a scapegoat....thats sad.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Ol Dirty Bstrd

Quote:
No I never admitted to not watching the game, because I watched the game. I just took my own opinion out of it and used AV's opinion on the game cause he has more credibility than me.
So whats your opinion?

Doesnt that mean you should also use the majority of the 30 GMs opinions and realize that Brodeur has been the best goalie in the league for 4 of the past 5 years since they have more credibility than you?

Old
01-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

LOL...........you're serious? I'm being hypocritical? I'm telling you you're being hypocritical and that's how you turn it around?!!!??!!? hahahahahaha.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Interesting....
if he thinks the Devils are trapping the ni have no option but to question his knowledge of the game.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:59 AM
Rover*

Quote:
So whats your opinion?

Doesnt that mean you should also use the majority of the 30 GMs opinions and realize that Brodeur has been the best goalie in the league for 4 of the past 5 years since they have more credibility than you?
No, it's my prerogative to have that opinion and people like you insult me about it all the time, so why is this case any different if I call you guys out on it for saying you have more knowledge than an nhl coach? It's the same situation really.

I say you guys don't know more than an nhl coach in this case, and you guys well within your right say AV is an idiot. I say you're wrong for saying that. You say I'm wrong for my brodeur opinions based on the same argument.

Old
01-14-2009, 01:01 AM
daveskirtun
:o)

So Rover, do you think your team lost tonight because of the trap?

Closed Thread