HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dreger - CBJ - Ott

Old
01-13-2009, 11:23 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
uhhhhhh.....
seriously?
well i ment its a yes from ottawa, no thanks for trade...as in not that good :s

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
I hope so. If we could get Vermette without giving up Russell and losing LeClaire, I would be very happy.
LeClaire has little value to Ottawa, Russell is the only thing keeping us interested.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:34 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Forgive my ignorance, as I haven't really followed what's been going on in Ottawa this year, but are you guys really sold on a goaltender who has played two games in the NHL? So much so that you want nothing to do with Leclaire? I've heard his contract called horrendous. He's only signed for two more years. He's definitely had a rough start to the season, but he's had some injury trouble and the Jackets, as a whole, struggled quite a bit early on in the year. He's coming off of a fantastic season, though, is only 26, is a former top ten pick, and clearly has HUGE upside. He's a gamble, but I'd say less of a gamble than hinging your hopes on a kid who's played two NHL games. It could be that Leclaire is a one hit wonder. Or, it could be that he didn't get a lot of help from his team in his first few starts this year, then he hurt his ankle, and it really never healed(he's back on the IR with an ankle problem, is he not?). Maybe, with some time off, he'll come back and be the player he was last season, again.

I don't know, if my team was searching for a goaltender, and Leclaire became available, I'd definitely think about rolling the dice on him. Especially if the price is Vermette(who's also having a disappointing year), Gerber(who is a just plain disappointment), and a checker. That's low risk, high reward. Especially if you can get a decent defenseman out of the deal as a consolation prize, if Leclaire doesn't pan out. Either one of Klesla or Russell should be a welcome addition to any team.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:36 PM
bleuetbio

last year 9 SO - 2,25 .919

Ok bad stats this year, but only 12 games played. Colombus will not dump him, they will trade him, Leclaire can fin a place for him, Im pretty sure of this

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:39 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Forgive my ignorance, as I haven't really followed what's been going on in Ottawa this year, but are you guys really sold on a goaltender who has played two games in the NHL? So much so that you want nothing to do with Leclaire? I've heard his contract called horrendous. He's only signed for two more years. He's definitely had a rough start to the season, but he's had some injury trouble and the Jackets, as a whole, struggled quite a bit early on in the year. He's coming off of a fantastic season, though, is only 26, is a former top ten pick, and clearly has HUGE upside. He's a gamble, but I'd say less of a gamble than hinging your hopes on a kid who's played two NHL games. It could be that Leclaire is a one hit wonder. Or, it could be that he didn't get a lot of help from his team in his first few starts this year, then he hurt his ankle, and it really never healed(he's back on the IR with an ankle problem, is he not?). Maybe, with some time off, he'll come back and be the player he was last season, again.

I don't know, if my team was searching for a goaltender, and Leclaire became available, I'd definitely think about rolling the dice on him. Especially if the price is Vermette(who's also having a disappointing year), Gerber(who is a just plain disappointment), and a checker. That's low risk, high reward. Especially if you can get a decent defenseman out of the deal as a consolation prize, if Leclaire doesn't pan out. Either one of Klesla or Russell should be a welcome addition to any team.
is CBJ sold on Mason?

we arent completly sold, but it isnt like elliot came out of nowhere, this guy has been highly touted here in Ottawa, was the hottest goalie in the AHL before being called up

Vermette's offensive game is showing signs of life again, but his defensive/PK/faceoff skills are still one of the best

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:40 PM
36crazyfists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reydin View Post
This guy Dreger just doesn't stop.
as outlandish as some stuff he says is, you gotta believe the guy is really hearing these rumblings. he is in fact related to dave nonis.

but this trade in my eyes is not so bad, maybe it needs tweaking, something less than rusell, but leclaire going to the sens makes a ton of sense. they need a goalie badly and he has proved he can win at this level.

plus this gives the jackets some solid depth to make a solid playoff push..

36crazyfists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:41 PM
The Fuhr*

Have Elliott no need for Leclaire

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:45 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36crazyfists View Post
as outlandish as some stuff he says is, you gotta believe the guy is really hearing these rumblings. he is in fact related to dave nonis.

but this trade in my eyes is not so bad, maybe it needs tweaking, something less than rusell, but leclaire going to the sens makes a ton of sense. they need a goalie badly and he has proved he can win at this level.

russell would be the main part of the deal

Old
01-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Davis3*

And ppl stop putting spezza's name in trades, hes not going anywhere.

Davis3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:38 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Even without Russel, I would do that trade if I was the Sens.

Neil is no longer an integral part of the team. He has been terrible since the cup run, and in any case we have Ruutu to replace him as the pest.

Really, it becomes Vermette for Leclaire, which I can live with.

If Ottawa gets Russell back, I think Foligno is the checker, not Neil.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:48 AM
jmor
Sens and Jets

is russel really that good?

i mean, he's got good upside, but not proven yet in the NHL. I don't watch any CBJ games, so i could be wrong.

vermette+neil could help columbus make a pretty strong playoff push though.

jmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Dick Whitman

Quote:

Ottawa has had it's share of flash in the pan goaltenders. I think they're wise to go with a youth movement at this point instead of taking on yet another big contract for 2 more years. We're getting rid of Gerber's at the end of this season. Elliott is more than just some goaltender who's played well for 2 games. He's a bonified top goaltending prospect and deserves a chance to see what he can do. If he doesn't work, we can pick up leclaire next year or some other goaltender that was good this year but is a bust next. Gerber was our mistake and it appears that Leclaire is now Columbuses.

Russell on the other hand is definitely interesting to a team floundering when it comes to scoring. Ottawa will be looking to move contracts as the season goes on, not acquire them.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:59 AM
Reydin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36crazyfists View Post

must be the recessive gene.

Reydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:26 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Injury problems are nothing new with this guy, though. For 3.8M, we'd be paying for a guy whose only once played more than 33 games in a season. That doesn't sound like someone whose very durable, and now he's lost his job to a rookie. Ottawa has a lot of money tied up in players to take a gamble on him.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Red Dragon

Quote:

Here is where you are wrong, he has played 3 nhl games.

He seems to be our goalie for the future and is proving himself at the nhl level currently. We aren't sold on him yet but he is not proving us wrong that he can be our guy.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:38 AM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, as I haven't really followed what's been going on in Ottawa this year, but are you guys really sold on a goaltender who has played two games in the NHL?
Murray is sold on him, and watching him play the past few games, pre-season and last year for his 1 game, I would have to agree.

He's ready and Murray has said that he thinks Elliott is ready multiple times.

In an interview with the local radio I think he said Elliott would get the call up after 30 or so starts in the AHL, and that's exactly what has happened.

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:46 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Murray promised Elliott that if he went down to the AHL and dominated, then he'd get a chance to show what he can do. Elliott held up his end of the bargain, and now Murray is holding up his end. It's bizarre that he doesn't get mentioned when people talk about top goalie prospects, but he's dominated at every level so far and has earned his shot to prove himself.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:21 AM
Kiddington
heehats

Gerber blows. Who would want to take on him and his contract, even as a backup?

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 06:03 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Dreger is very connected.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 06:06 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
is CBJ sold on Mason?

You clearly haven't seen him play...

To answer your question, yes, yes they are.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:34 AM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post

You clearly haven't seen him play...

To answer your question, yes, yes they are.
i know they are sold on him that is why i asked :p

Elliott is proving to us that he is ready, but we shall wait and see the real part of the deal here is Russell

Old
01-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
I don't see this deal happening for this reason alone.

Columbus needs a guy like Russell to help with their terrible power play more than they need a guy like Vermette. Russell is their only threat from the back end with speed and offensive savvy. Kid can really carry the mail and his play is picking up lately.

If I were Scott Howson, I would not do this deal. Columbus needs to add another goalie now, but they should add a cheap backup and spend their money on something else.

Although, Gerber's contract is up after this season and he'll become a UFA, while Leclaire is signed through to the end of 2011. So, that part of the equation makes sense.

But from a talent perspective, if you look past this year, it's Leclaire and Russell (who the team really needs and would miss dearly if they traded) for Vermette (who is not an improvement over any of the centres they have) and Neil. If you truly think Leclaire will not bounce back and you want to dump his salary, this is why you make this trade. Otherwise, I don't see the logic.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:24 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Dregs bounced his proposals off Bill Watters who has no idea what Dreger is talking about.Watters is looking to do his 40 minutes,collect his check and take his afternoon nap for his show later that day.A few months ago,it was Carlo Cola for a first round pick.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:25 AM
bdp

Vermette's been playing extremely well lately. They won't trade him for a guy who can't stay healthy (with a huge contract) and an unproven player.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:01 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Vermette is one of the few Sens who doesn't have a bad contract and you get something for without worrying about the money.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote