HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Adam Hall on his way back?

Old
01-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
I don't know why we didn't re-sign Hall in the first place.
Most likely because he didn't like the idea of a two-way contract and there's a limit to the number of bottom six players a team should keep on its roster?

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 10:18 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
Most likely because he didn't like the idea of a two-way contract and there's a limit to the number of bottom six players a team should keep on its roster?
I'd put money on the two-way part being the sticking point.

Also, not everyone is going to want to resign here, especially if another team offers them more responsibility, ice time, or money. That's the way it goes.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Jag68Sid87

The irony is that Hall is seeing fourth-line minutes in Tampa Bay as well, and is playing mainly right wing. So, his responsibilities are even less there than here.

If we didn't like the idea of giving him $600,000/year for three seasons last summer, I don't understand why all of a sudden we would like that idea now, even if it's just 2+ seasons left.

I just think guys like Adam Hall and Colby Armstrong (a suggestion in another thread) are not at all what we need, and it would anger me to see us go back in this kind of direction.

A scoring winger or a defensive upgrade, that's what I am hoping we are searching for.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 11:21 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
The irony is that Hall is seeing fourth-line minutes in Tampa Bay as well, and is playing mainly right wing. So, his responsibilities are even less there than here.

If we didn't like the idea of giving him $600,000/year for three seasons last summer, I don't understand why all of a sudden we would like that idea now, even if it's just 2+ seasons left.

I just think guys like Adam Hall and Colby Armstrong (a suggestion in another thread) are not at all what we need, and it would anger me to see us go back in this kind of direction.

A scoring winger or a defensive upgrade, that's what I am hoping we are searching for.
To be fair to Colby, he has 13 goals. I'm not advocating bringing him back at all, just sayin'.

We're definitely set in the bottom 6. Our AHL guys can do what Hall does, and I don't see any point giving away a pick or prospect for him.

If we can work out a deal where we send a salary + a pick for taking on the salary dump (which TB won't do because of their financial trouble) then I wouldn't be too upset.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
I think we have too many defensemen to really think about defensive upgrades this season (would take too many trades) beyond Gonchar which should be huge either way.

As for scoring winger, a guy who can actually contribute with Sid instead of Satan is what everyone is really wishing for isn't it?
But there's also an alternative I feel. Cooke is not anyone's dream of a top line forward, but he does add something Dupuis hasn't and that's genuine sandpaper and physicality. I think the last couple of matches have shown as much.

Cooke Sid xxxx
Fedotenko Malkin Sykora
Dupuis Staal xxxx
Talbot Jeffrey Godard/Bis

I think Tyler Kennedy can play in both of those roles and be successful, and if we cannot find funds for the upgrade for the first line or the assets we're asked to give up becomes too much, we can make it happen for someone more than adequate for the third line instead.
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy has been great and has gone to battle with opponents best lines. Crosby there instead of Staal shouldn't make the line worse....

But also talk of management inaction really should fade for a while, I think. We're up against the cap and would be irrespective of the Garon trade. In order to get someone meaningful, first we have to clear cap-space, and we are not going to get anywhere near decent value for our excess defensemen - and perhaps even Satan himself - before the deadline. Until then I think we have to make do with what we have.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Giskard

Yeah Adam Hall, another 4th-liner.
Exatelly what we are missing ...

Giskard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 03:58 PM
ryno2292

If Adam Hall is bringing Marty St. Louis with him I'm all for it.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/pit090118.html

ryno2292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Gooch

if we waste any draft pick on him I will be quite pissed.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno2292 View Post

That could be interesting, depending on what we're giving up. St Louis is exactly the kind of winger we're looking for, but obviously we'd need to shed salary ourselves to make it work, so we'd have to give up a big piece back in exchange (Staal? Gonch?).

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 06:06 PM
angelgirl77

Quote:

We couldn't afford him.

angelgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
ryno2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Talbot View Post
That could be interesting, depending on what we're giving up. St Louis is exactly the kind of winger we're looking for, but obviously we'd need to shed salary ourselves to make it work, so we'd have to give up a big piece back in exchange (Staal? Gonch?).
I agree, he'd make a great winger for Sid. At 33 the guy still averages a point a game for the Lightning. Great playoff performer as well, plenty of experience. Like you said, I'd be interested in knowing what it would take to get him here although if it's Staal I doubt Shero makes the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelgirl77 View Post
We couldn't afford him.
His cap hit is $5.25 so the Pens would take on less than half of that since we are over halfway through the season. They could easily fit him in by moving any one of Satan, Boucher, Eaton, or Gill for a pick or prospect. Two years left on his contract and probably a better option for the money than any free agent you'll find in the offseason for that price.

Old
01-19-2009, 06:44 PM
CrosbyMalkin

I think D. Jeffrey is making the need to get Hall a moot point. Jeffrey looks good in the 4th line center position and I see no need to make a deal for Hall. I would love to trade for St. Louis though. Trade some money away for picks like Satan and Eaton and give me St. Louis which would be less cap hit. $3.5 million for Satan and $2 million for Eaton and St. Louis gets $5.25 million cap hit. It all depends on what we had to give for that deal. Now if it was Eaton, Sneep, and a pick I would do it. St. Louis would solve our winger for Sid problem for the next 3 years.

Maybe Tampa see's St. Louis is on his downside and not worth that $5+ million over the next 3 years so it is hard to say if this would be a good thing cap wise. You trade for an older player at the wrong time and you can get burned. He could play great for many years like Joey Mullen did for us or he could drop off drastically which many have by that age. Joey Mullen for a 2nd round pick was a great trade and he still had many great years for us. If Shero could do anything close to that for St. Louis I would be happy. Tough call and I would rather have a young 23-28 year old winger type for Sid but beggers can't be choosy.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:03 PM
tocchet92

Quote:
His cap hit is $5.25 so the Pens would take on less than half of that since we are over halfway through the season. They could easily fit him in by moving any one of Satan, Boucher, Eaton, or Gill for a pick or prospect. Two years left on his contract and probably a better option for the money than any free agent you'll find in the offseason for that price.
Half the season is over so the Pens only have half of their cap space left. You cannot clear room for half of St. Louis' salary by subtracting all of Satan's.

tocchet92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:06 PM
tocchet92

The only way the Pens get St. Louis is by giving up Whitney or Orpik (or Fleury). Those players would be enticing to TB and clear signigicant cap space on the Pens end. TB would have to want one of those players enough to accept Satan, Boucher, or Eaton as well.

Old
01-19-2009, 07:11 PM
ryno2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
I think D. Jeffrey is making the need to get Hall a moot point. Jeffrey looks good in the 4th line center position and I see no need to make a deal for Hall. I would love to trade for St. Louis though. Trade some money away for picks like Satan and Eaton and give me St. Louis which would be less cap hit. $3.5 million for Satan and $2 million for Eaton and St. Louis gets $5.25 million cap hit. It all depends on what we had to give for that deal. Now if it was Eaton, Sneep, and a pick I would do it. St. Louis would solve our winger for Sid problem for the next 3 years.

Maybe Tampa see's St. Louis is on his downside and not worth that $5+ million over the next 3 years so it is hard to say if this would be a good thing cap wise. You trade for an older player at the wrong time and you can get burned. He could play great for many years like Joey Mullen did for us or he could drop off drastically which many have by that age. Joey Mullen for a 2nd round pick was a great trade and he still had many great years for us. If Shero could do anything close to that for St. Louis I would be happy. Tough call and I would rather have a young 23-28 year old winger type for Sid but beggers can't be choosy.
I agree on Jeffrey, not bad for a 20 year old first year pro. He's probably impressed me the most out of the WBS call ups. I like what Bissonnette brings to the lineup too but that's comparing apples and oranges.

As far as Marty goes, ideally I'd prefer and up and coming Nathan Horton type, but I have a feeling he'd cost significantly more in a trade than St. Louis would. Plus at this point in time I'm not so sure the Pens couldn't use a little more experience and leadership on the team as opposed to another young guy.

Old
01-19-2009, 07:12 PM
ryno2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocchet22 View Post
Half the season is over so the Pens only have half of their cap space left. You cannot clear room for half of St. Louis' salary by subtracting all of Satan's.
Right, temporary brain cramp there.

Old
01-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownExile View Post
Also, not everyone is going to want to resign here, especially if another team offers them more responsibility, ice time, or money. That's the way it goes.
Bingo. It's like the people that complain that Shero didn't re-sign Conklin who don't realize that there is about a zero chance that Conklin was interested in re-signing in Pittsburgh for exactly the reasons that you identify here.

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:21 PM
PenguinGuru*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Beeks View Post
Bingo. It's like the people that complain that Shero didn't re-sign Conklin who don't realize that there is about a zero chance that Conklin was interested in re-signing in Pittsburgh for exactly the reasons that you identify here.
link? please show me a link where a guy straight out of the AHL wouldn't stay here for .5 million more over 2 years?

neither one of us is a mind reader, neither one of us know what he would or wouldnt do. But it's CLEAR that Shero wanted Sabu to be the back up this season. He never offered Conklin a deal during the exclusive negotiation time period. That's my point. Shero did not want him here, so whether Conks wanted to be here or not is irrelevant. So you can stop suggesting that Conklin would have laughed off the extra .5 million I suggested Shero should have offered him so he could be the back up there instead of here.

PenguinGuru* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Jag68Sid87

St. Louis doesn't make any sense for us right now if the Bolts are in total selling mode. They will want picks and prospects back, since it sounds like they are looking to sell the team again (or at least attract investors to pump in some cash).

I don't think it's a good idea to be trading away picks and prospects right now. Not this season.

Old
01-19-2009, 07:38 PM
tocchet92

Quote:
St. Louis doesn't make any sense for us right now if the Bolts are in total selling mode. They will want picks and prospects back, since it sounds like they are looking to sell the team again (or at least attract investors to pump in some cash).

I don't think it's a good idea to be trading away picks and prospects right now. Not this season.
The Pens could not do that even it they wanted to. They have to shed salary to bring anything significant back.

I agree that St. Louis doesn't seem to make sense and TB is probably looking to dump salary.

Old
01-19-2009, 07:55 PM
moonknight31

id take a trade of eaton for hall any day

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonknight31 View Post
id take a trade of eaton for hall any day
You would. I would. Tampa Bay wouldn't.

Old
01-19-2009, 07:59 PM
moonknight31

lol how do we know that? they are one of the worst run teams in the league

Old
01-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonknight31 View Post
lol how do we know that? they are one of the worst run teams in the league
Because they are now in selling mode. They are not going to add $1.4 million in salary for next season for Mark frickin' Eaton.

Old
01-19-2009, 08:08 PM
moonknight31

lol true, i wonder what they want other then picks