HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

food for thought-Leafs/Ott

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2009, 10:21 PM
  #1
The King 1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
food for thought-Leafs/Ott

Before Leaf fans react, think then answer.

Luke Schenn for Ott 1st in 09 and SJ 1st in 09

Interesting

The King 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:24 PM
  #2
Obama
Registered User
 
Obama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
...stupid

Obama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:25 PM
  #3
glucker
Registered User
 
glucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London, ON
Posts: 4,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King 1 View Post
Before Leaf fans react, think then answer.

Luke Schenn for Ott 1st in 09 and SJ 1st in 09

Interesting
DEFINITELY an interesting offer... but Ottawa wouldn't, and TO... he's the first piece drafted in the rebuild, he's the future captain, and well liked in the city already... I think both teams say no


but TO would definitely win this trade from the value perspective

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:25 PM
  #4
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,730
vCash: 500
Er, before Sens fans react?

Leafs flub a top 5 pick and they're not going to get the Sens pick to try and make up for the mistake.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:25 PM
  #5
DJB
Sens best prospect
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,775
vCash: 820
Horrible trade for Ottawa...

Did you not think about what the Sens need? They certainly do not need another shut-down defenceman....

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:26 PM
  #6
The King 1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
one early first and one late. Could be a over payment

The King 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:26 PM
  #7
Red Dragon
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post
...stupid
my thoughts exactly.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:27 PM
  #8
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King 1 View Post
one early first and one late. Could be a over payment
Leafs will be lucky if Schenn turns into Volchenkov or Phillips.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:29 PM
  #9
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,720
vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
horrible :'(

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:30 PM
  #10
The King 1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post
DEFINITELY an interesting offer... but Ottawa wouldn't, and TO... he's the first piece drafted in the rebuild, he's the future captain, and well liked in the city already... I think both teams say no


but TO would definitely win this trade from the value perspective
True but they get two rebuild pieces back of Burkes choice. He is well received in Toronto.

The King 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:30 PM
  #11
The King 1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatley15 View Post
horrible :'(
Explain

The King 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:31 PM
  #12
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,250
vCash: 500
Not a chance anyone touches our 1st rounder. And if we were gonna deal it, it wouldn't be for Schenn (as much as I like him).

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:32 PM
  #13
Sens4Cup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
Stupidest proposal I've seen in a long time.

Ottawa's 1st at this point gets Victor Hedman who projects far higher than Luke Schenn. Schenn has a fairly low offensive ceiling and projects basically to be a Chris Phillips type of player. Now since we already have Chris Phillips and Anton Volchenkov, who Schenn may turn out to be as good as one day, why do we need him?

Couple that with the fact that teams rarely trade 1st round picks away while they're in as high a draft spot as Ottawa. With the deepness of this draft SJ 1st round pick will also likely garner a top-six forward or top-four defenseman down the road, so why would we trade it for a guy who isn't even much help immediately?

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:33 PM
  #14
The King 1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post
Not a chance anyone touches our 1st rounder. And if we were gonna deal it, it wouldn't be for Schenn (as much as I like him).
Fair enough. But you could be picking 5th? 8th? who knows.

The King 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:37 PM
  #15
The King 1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup View Post
Stupidest proposal I've seen in a long time.

Ottawa's 1st at this point gets Victor Hedman who projects far higher than Luke Schenn. Schenn has a fairly low offensive ceiling and projects basically to be a Chris Phillips type of player. Now since we already have Chris Phillips and Anton Volchenkov, who Schenn may turn out to be as good as one day, why do we need him?

Couple that with the fact that teams rarely trade 1st round picks away while they're in as high a draft spot as Ottawa. With the deepness of this draft SJ 1st round pick will also likely garner a top-six forward or top-four defenseman down the road, so why would we trade it for a guy who isn't even much help immediately?
You know what your getting in Schenn. Ott will go on a roll and finish just out of the playoffs. Im not saying its great for Ott but you know what your getting.

The King 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:38 PM
  #16
DJB
Sens best prospect
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,775
vCash: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King 1 View Post
Fair enough. But you could be picking 5th? 8th? who knows.
Why does Ottawa take that risk especially when they do not need Schenn?

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:41 PM
  #17
Sens4Cup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King 1 View Post
You know what your getting in Schenn. Ott will go on a roll and finish just out of the playoffs. Im not saying its great for Ott but you know what your getting.
You really don't know what you're getting. He's played half a season of hockey. It's yet to be determined whether he'll be Chris Phillips or Ken Klee but his upside just doesn't justify it.

Toronto already screwed themselves for this draft by picking up a competent coach. Ottawa took a different approach. If the Leafs had a goalie who could stop a puck the Leafs would totally be in a playoff spot. But a shutdown D-man doesn't help Ottawa short or long-term. I still wonder why he was put in the lineup for the Leafs as he now has 6 1/2 seasons till he's a free agent.

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:44 PM
  #18
36crazyfists
Registered User
 
36crazyfists's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Holland Landing
Country: Canada
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Next!!!!!!!

36crazyfists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:44 PM
  #19
The King 1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup View Post
You really don't know what you're getting. He's played half a season of hockey. It's yet to be determined whether he'll be Chris Phillips or Ken Klee but his upside just doesn't justify it.

Toronto already screwed themselves for this draft by picking up a competent coach. Ottawa took a different approach. If the Leafs had a goalie who could stop a puck the Leafs would totally be in a playoff spot. But a shutdown D-man doesn't help Ottawa short or long-term. I still wonder why he was put in the lineup for the Leafs as he now has 6 1/2 seasons till he's a free agent.
Agreed! Toronto needed a feel good story.

The King 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:45 PM
  #20
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,720
vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King 1 View Post
Explain
san jose's will end up around 27-30...ottawa might be 5-10...so its an easy no..maybe a bit more from Toronto, then maybe..

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:47 PM
  #21
dubey
~manlets~
 
dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,555
vCash: 500
hahahahahahaha so much spite in this thread.

It's alright Sens fans, you can still start your rebuild with the 14th or 15th pick your team is destined for.

And for the record Schenn is already better than Phillips, that guy is brutal.

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:49 PM
  #22
The King 1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatley15 View Post
san jose's will end up around 27-30...ottawa might be 5-10...so its an easy no..maybe a bit more from Toronto, then maybe..
Agreed! Good answer

The King 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:51 PM
  #23
The King 1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatley15 View Post
san jose's will end up around 27-30...ottawa might be 5-10...so its an easy no..maybe a bit more from Toronto, then maybe..
I think we all agree this wouldnt happen let alone Tor adding more but it gets the Leaf vs Sens blood flowing

The King 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:51 PM
  #24
Sens4Cup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
hahahahahahaha so much spite in this thread.

It's alright Sens fans, you can still start your rebuild with the 14th or 15th pick your team is destined for.

And for the record Schenn is already better than Phillips, that guy is brutal.
Ah yes I forgot Phillips has been lacklustre for 40 games so he must suck overall, while Schenn has got 3 assists and a -5 rating so he must be the second coming of Ray Bourque.

And come on 14th or 15th pick, I haven't had a dream that had expectations that high for my Sens this year. I think we'd need something to the effect of 32 wins in the next 41 games just to get to 8th or 9th in the conference.

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:52 PM
  #25
The Naz
With God given hands
 
The Naz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,365
vCash: 500
anyone who thinks schenn's upside is phillips needs to strap their helmet on a little tighter. his bottom end potential is likely phillips, his top end is scott stevens. not just my opinion, scouts as well.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.