HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about European FA's (and waivers)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2009, 10:30 PM
  #1
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 50
Question about European FA's (and waivers)

Everyone is saying that if the impossible happened and Jagr wanted to leave Omsk, he would need to clear waivers before he could play in the NHL. This is in contrast to Sundin who has signed with Vancouver and Shanny, who it appears will be signing with NJ. The difference has been stated that it is because Jagr has played a game in another league this season while Sundin and Shanny did not.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho..._to_dubie.html
Apparently Wade is talking to 3 NHL teams about signing a contract after having been bought out by his KHL team. Why wouldn't he need to clear waivers? He's played in Europe.... Is it just that his contract has ended? If Omsk bought out Jagr, would he be allowed to just sign with us if he wanted to? I'm not advocating signing JJ, I'm just trying to figure out the rules. Thanks for any help people may be able to provide.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:46 PM
  #2
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,174
vCash: 50
Sundin's and Shanahan's contracts were up and they became regular FA's.
Jagr still had one year left that wasn't picked up which means he has to pass through waivers to play again.

I could very well be wrong though.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:51 PM
  #3
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Sundin's and Shanahan's contracts were up and they became regular FA's.
Jagr still had one year left that wasn't picked up which means he has to pass through waivers to play again.

I could very well be wrong though.
Jagr was unrestricted... he didn't meet triggers to make his contract extend. It may just be that he is under contract with a Euro team.... i don't know.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:27 AM
  #4
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
If a player plays in Europe and signs a NHL contract in the same season,he must clear waivers.Slats used to bring over Reijo Ruotsalaienen in the spring when he needed him.Plexy Rexy spent most of the season playing in Finland.

Duby would have to also clear waivers.

When the Rangers brought back Strudwick two years ago after he played in Europe a few weeks before re-joining the Rangers,he had to clear waivers.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:30 AM
  #5
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Everyone is saying that if the impossible happened and Jagr wanted to leave Omsk, he would need to clear waivers before he could play in the NHL. This is in contrast to Sundin who has signed with Vancouver and Shanny, who it appears will be signing with NJ. The difference has been stated that it is because Jagr has played a game in another league this season while Sundin and Shanny did not.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho..._to_dubie.html
Apparently Wade is talking to 3 NHL teams about signing a contract after having been bought out by his KHL team. Why wouldn't he need to clear waivers? He's played in Europe.... Is it just that his contract has ended? If Omsk bought out Jagr, would he be allowed to just sign with us if he wanted to? I'm not advocating signing JJ, I'm just trying to figure out the rules. Thanks for any help people may be able to provide.
My take is that Wade would have to clear waivers.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:27 PM
  #6
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Everyone is saying that if the impossible happened and Jagr wanted to leave Omsk, he would need to clear waivers before he could play in the NHL. This is in contrast to Sundin who has signed with Vancouver and Shanny, who it appears will be signing with NJ. The difference has been stated that it is because Jagr has played a game in another league this season while Sundin and Shanny did not.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho..._to_dubie.html
Apparently Wade is talking to 3 NHL teams about signing a contract after having been bought out by his KHL team. Why wouldn't he need to clear waivers? He's played in Europe.... Is it just that his contract has ended? If Omsk bought out Jagr, would he be allowed to just sign with us if he wanted to? I'm not advocating signing JJ, I'm just trying to figure out the rules. Thanks for any help people may be able to provide.
section 13.23 of the current CBA is very clear: when a professional player plays outside of North America at any time during the regular season, they must be put through waivers in order to play in the NHL. It doesn't matter whether they are under contract or bought out during the season, as long as they played in outside North America, they have to go through waivers.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:44 PM
  #7
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 50
hmm... apparently waivers were not needed as Wade is back with the Isles...

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:42 PM
  #8
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
hmm... apparently waivers were not needed as Wade is back with the Isles...
Why do you think he didn't clear waivers? The CBA is very specific: any professional player who plays outside of North America during the NHL season must clear waivers to play in the NHL.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:53 PM
  #9
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
hmm... apparently waivers were not needed as Wade is back with the Isles...
Isles have first pick for waivers.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:06 PM
  #10
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Isles have first pick for waivers.
The Islanders were the ones who placed Wade on waivers--I don't think they can then go and pick him off of waivers.

And in any case, why would anyone claim him?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:33 PM
  #11
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The Islanders were the ones who placed Wade on waivers--I don't think they can then go and pick him off of waivers.

And in any case, why would anyone claim him?
Huh? The Russian team bought him out and the Isles were interested, and had the first pick to claim him.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:54 PM
  #12
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Huh? The Russian team bought him out and the Isles were interested, and had the first pick to claim him.
The Isles signed him--a player who isn't signed doesn't go through waivers. That only happens when a player is under contract. Sounds like he hasn't passed through waivers yet through.

"The Islanders have reached an agreement with former goaltender Wade Dubielewicz on a contract for the rest of the season for the pro-rated portion of a $500,000 annual salary, according to an NHL source. The club has indicated plans to provide an update later today on the condition of starter Rick DiPietro, but the signing of Dubielewicz is a strong indicator that DiPietro might be done for the season because of continued swelling in his surgically repaired knee."

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho...slanders/blog/

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:58 PM
  #13
pmorris
Registered User
 
pmorris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC Area
Country: United States
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Huh? The Russian team bought him out and the Isles were interested, and had the first pick to claim him.
When Mike Dunham has to act as your backup, you know you're in trouble.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:28 PM
  #14
Section311
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,038
vCash: 500
They interviewed Garth Snow during the Islander game tonight and he said that the islanders and wade reached and agreement. He then said all that is left is for wade to be put on waivers and if he clears he should be ready to join the team this weekend. He said that this is mandatory for anyone playing in the european league during the nhl season.

So def looks like jagr would have to clear waivers first....which is mostly unlikely to happen

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:35 AM
  #15
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The Isles signed him--a player who isn't signed doesn't go through waivers. That only happens when a player is under contract. Sounds like he hasn't passed through waivers yet through.

"The Islanders have reached an agreement with former goaltender Wade Dubielewicz on a contract for the rest of the season for the pro-rated portion of a $500,000 annual salary, according to an NHL source. The club has indicated plans to provide an update later today on the condition of starter Rick DiPietro, but the signing of Dubielewicz is a strong indicator that DiPietro might be done for the season because of continued swelling in his surgically repaired knee."

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho...slanders/blog/
Strange.

Then it would be the easiest thing in the world to go around the waiver rule for European players.

Like all they needed to do was to get out of their contract in Europe.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:21 AM
  #16
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
Dubie hasn't gained his full release from Russia

Quote:
Dubielewicz, an Islanders backup for four seasons, was signed with Ak Bars Kazan of the Continental League in Russia during the off-season. He must secure his official release before he can join New York
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2633...=headlines_nhl

Strudwick had to clear waivers and his team's season was over.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:24 AM
  #17
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Strange.

Then it would be the easiest thing in the world to go around the waiver rule for European players.

Like all they needed to do was to get out of their contract in Europe.
What is strange about it? When players are under contract in Europe that's binding for teams here since you can't sign a player who has a valid contract. Unless they are released by their European team from their contract, they can't be signed here, regardless of whether the NHL season is underway.

And if it were so easy, then there'd be a lot more movement between European teams and the NHL during the season.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 05:28 PM
  #18
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
hmm... apparently waivers were not needed as Wade is back with the Isles...
Told you Dubie had to clear waivers

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:36 PM
  #19
RANGERS2448
Registered User
 
RANGERS2448's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 389
vCash: 500
Waivers

im confused on how waivers work for example the situation with the fishsticks and Dubielewicz. If a player needS to go through waivers who can claim him any team? I was under the impresion that only a team with a worse record could claim the player. the fishsticks have the worst record in the NHL so that cant be the case.
also is there any diff between waivers for players comeing out of europe and players moveing between the AHL and NHL.

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:47 PM
  #20
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
if a player is on waivers, every other team has a chance at him, and the order that teams have a shot at him is worst to best. I'm not sure if you go to the bottom in the order when you actually claim a player, but I believe that's also how waivers work in most sports. So for example, when Thomas Pock was claimed by the Islanders, if it is how other sports work the Islanders would go to the back of the line in the waivers order.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 08:26 PM
  #21
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
if a player is on waivers, every other team has a chance at him, and the order that teams have a shot at him is worst to best. I'm not sure if you go to the bottom in the order when you actually claim a player, but I believe that's also how waivers work in most sports. So for example, when Thomas Pock was claimed by the Islanders, if it is how other sports work the Islanders would go to the back of the line in the waivers order.
It does go from worst record to best on the day he was placed on waivers. I'm pretty sure a team that does claim somebody does not drop to the bottom of the waiver order though.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 08:30 PM
  #22
RANGERS2448
Registered User
 
RANGERS2448's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
if a player is on waivers, every other team has a chance at him, and the order that teams have a shot at him is worst to best. I'm not sure if you go to the bottom in the order when you actually claim a player, but I believe that's also how waivers work in most sports. So for example, when Thomas Pock was claimed by the Islanders, if it is how other sports work the Islanders would go to the back of the line in the waivers order.
So if the worst team in the NHL signs a player that has to pass through waivers the best team can take that player away. it sounds like if u really want a player that is talking to diff teams let him sign with another team then just grab him on waivers if u just sign him he might get taken away from you. something doesnt sound right with that were they drunk when they wrote this part of the rules, cba whereever its writen down

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 08:35 PM
  #23
ArtieAnisimov
 
ArtieAnisimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS2448 View Post
im confused on how waivers work for example the situation with the fishsticks and Dubielewicz. If a player needS to go through waivers who can claim him any team? I was under the impresion that only a team with a worse record could claim the player. the fishsticks have the worst record in the NHL so that cant be the case.
also is there any diff between waivers for players comeing out of europe and players moveing between the AHL and NHL.
Dubielewicz had to pass waivers because he started the season playing in Europe. A player like Forsberg wouldn't have to pass through waivers if he is signed by an NHL team.

ArtieAnisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 08:38 PM
  #24
RANGERS2448
Registered User
 
RANGERS2448's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlue View Post
Dubielewicz had to pass waivers because he started the season playing in Europe. A player like Forsberg wouldn't have to pass through waivers if he is signed by an NHL team.
i understand the reason he went through waivers jsut dont understand how it all went down

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 08:45 PM
  #25
RANGERS2448
Registered User
 
RANGERS2448's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
It does go from worst record to best on the day he was placed on waivers. I'm pretty sure a team that does claim somebody does not drop to the bottom of the waiver order though.
thats a good way to do it worse to best has a chance at the player. but if say the
3rd worst team signs a player the only teams that should be able to claim said player is the 2 teams below the signing team in the standings. just doesnt make sense why a better team should be able to take a player away something that should be changed in the future.

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.