HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

01/14/09 Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins. Mellon Arena. 7:30 PM

Old
01-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
The Caps don't need to make deals...gimmie a break. One slump spells disaster for a team that has proven to be elite? Come off it.
I actually don't think they need to make a lot of deals, save dealing Nylander if the opportunity ever presented itself (which I do not think will happen).

That said, this team has proven it can score goals, but I don't know that I would say it has proven to be an elite club. It does quite well against much of the East, has a tough time against East clubs built for the playoff grind, and has a tough time against the majority of the West.

Good, yes, and improved certainly. Elite is somewhat of a stretch, perhaps. They aren't at that point just yet. They do have an elite and MVP-caliber player, but the team as a whole has some holes in key areas.

What is positive is that with a stellar December, they can afford to hemorrhage points in January, and go on another solid run from February.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Gumby

With the way the D is playing along with the less than spectacular goaltending, this could be really ugly.....I soo hate losing to the f'ing Pens too.

Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I hate to say it, but I think this team needs a little crazy. A drink stirrer or something. Where's our Jarkko Ruutu? I know SDR is down in the pipeline, but I think a little bit of aggravation would help things going.
It would help but they need more grit in their top 6 to compliment their skilled players. Clark used to bring that but Boudreau seems to think he's nothing more than a fourth-liner now (albeit deserving of a jersey) and it's hard to argue that point. He's not a top 6 player nor has he been playing with the necessary consistent jam to really make putting him back in the top 6 a viable option. He's been hitting more and looked decent with Steckel & Fehr...I'll give him that...but still seems a step slow and no more skilled than Bradley. This team could sorely use a Morrow or Doan-type player. Not a cure all by any means but boy could it help at times.

Langway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:19 AM
CapitalPunishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razumikhin View Post
I was expecting to see you guys pretty confident. 3 in a row is nothing compared to what the Pens are going through.

Good luck tonight.
Let's get serious here. With the history between these two teams, and the win-loss record of the Penguins/Capitals series since Ovechkin/Crosby entered the league it's pretty much been no contest.

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:25 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Looks like Helmer has been called up.

Wonder who's sitting?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:28 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Since Toronto would spend $70m or more on salary if they could, taking Nylander's contract and buying him out is well within their ability to pay. Its really Osala for a 3rd and some cash for them.

No chance McPhee does that, but that is about what it would take for McPhee to move Nylander were there a gun to his head.
Well first of all they don't have a 3rd pick. Second of all, you can't just trade for someone and buy out their contract and pretend it never happened. Part of his salary would still count against their cap for the next two years.

This trade doesn't work. Just because they have the cap room to take Nyls doesn't mean it's in their best interest to do it. Osala for a 3rd aside. Osala for a 7th rounder (which they have) and I still think they turn this down.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:46 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Looks like Helmer has been called up.

Wonder who's sitting?
Jurcina...just a guess. His TOI dropped off abruptly. Either he was benched or injuried. A callup sounds like an injury to me. I suppose its possible that Erskine might have relapsed.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:53 AM
The Ghoul

This should be a good game to watch if the Caps come to play. The Pens played the trap against the Flyers and beat them 4-2. Traditionally the Caps don't play so well against teams that utilize the trap. I think it will be a OT loss for the Caps.

The Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Wonder who's sitting?
I hope they are around 6'4" and their last name rhymes with "purseina".

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Kegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Its amazing how one week, this guy is getting high praises...and the next, he's trash heap...

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:16 PM
artilector

Whatever happens, it will be a fun game.. well, as long as we can score a goal on our first 20 shots. Wonder if AO is going to continue hunting Malkin.

I think more than anything, our gunsights have been off the last few games, and we are constantly swimming upstream after allowing some flukey goal. The youth/immaturity of the team shows in getting discouraged when things don't go your way. I don't think its a trend that will stick -- Caps will become mentally tougher with experience.

Just need to win today, any score will suffice... who am I kidding -- when it comes to the Pens, bonus points for taking it to them..

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Its amazing how one week, this guy is getting high praises...and the next, he's trash heap...
He wasn't getting the high praises from me, so I feel no strangeness about it at all.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:19 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm not sure the consensus was high praise, more like "Alzner is making him seem palatable".

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:19 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Not really. The guy is the definition of inconsistent.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:24 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
From who?

It's Alzner that was/is carrying his ass.

He has moments...but that's all they are. Moments.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Kegger

Quote:
He wasn't getting the high praises from me, so I feel no strangeness about it at all.
Oh, I know...I know...I'm not calling you out in particular. I cant really say I like Jurcina, and to me he was overplayed badly. He handled it well at first, but now its caught up to him. I'd like to see Sean Collins back up here myself, but all-in-all its obvious that our defense is very exploited when our offense is not dominating neutral zone game...

Old
01-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Kegger

Quote:
From who?

Agreed.

Mainly Coaches, CSN, Papers...

Old
01-14-2009, 12:32 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

It's all Nylander's fault.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:32 PM
artilector

Still, I like Juice as the 6-th man on a cheap contract. Erskine makes just as many bad plays, and has zero upside. But with Juice, worst case, he gives you what you pay for. Best case, he develops into one hell of a bargain.

His biggest problems are mental, but he's not lazy or apathetic. I think his brain cramps will subside quite a bit with age. We have a good example with Poti on our team. From king of defensive gaffes to a team's steadiest veteran.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Kegger

Quote:
I could deal with him and Shultz sitting actually. I don't know what it is, but my gut tells me that Sarge is playing with another undisclosed problem. His skating has been horrid. Anyone see him get plowed in his own zone. I know his m.o. is positioning, but if you can't skate...whats the use...

Old
01-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Kegger

Quote:
It's all Nylander's fault.

Ideally, I would love to have Poti back and....maybe its just me...but, I like Feds back there on the blueline too...

Old
01-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Foy

Quote:
From who?

Alzner was carrying him, and I think it's fair to say Alzner has come down to earth some.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Sounds like Corey thinks it's Alzner who will sit.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:41 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Still, I like Juice as the 6-th man on a cheap contract. Erskine makes just as many bad plays, and has zero upside. But with Juice, worst case, he gives you what you pay for. Best case, he develops into one hell of a bargain.
I'd just like to point out I totally disagree with that statement.

Erskine has flaws just like Jurcina...but still has upside. I didn't really like the contract extension at first...but I get it. He's usually a mean angry defender...that in itself is an upside the Caps don't have in the system right now that is ready to play minutes. He's only 28...still room to grow.

Jurcina also has plenty of room to grow as well...so I'm not just backing one of the two.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:43 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Sounds like Corey thinks it's Alzner who will sit.