HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Things That Make You Go Hmmm...Toronto-Florida

Old
01-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Things That Make You Go Hmmm...Toronto-Florida

The Panthers had 3 scouts watching Toronto-Nashville last night. Burke is supposedly gearing up to make a run at Jaybo in free agency this Summer. Tomas Kaberle recently said he would agree to waive his NTC in the right deal. Could the right deal involve joining ex-teammate Bryan McCabe in Florida? Just wondering if this could be the basis of a Jaybo deal if Martin decides he has to trade him. Kaberle is signed through the 2010/11 season with a $4.25 mil Cap Hit.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Roo

if FLA does in fact feel they cant resign him, they will trade him. Kaberle could be a good piece to replace him, especially if they want to remain in the playoff hunt - and we all know Martin likes Leafs.

However, I personally feel like JayBo would not want to resign with the Leafs. Its such a high-pressure city, and he seems like a strange fellow.

That said, I would welcome him with open arms, like i said, I dont think he would want to come here though.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:17 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Burke does like big D.In Hartford,he traded up to select Pronger.In Van,he traded Bure to FLA for Jovo.In Anaheim,he traded for Pronger again.Does Pronger end up in Toronto this summer?Jay Bo fits what Burke likes.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:18 AM
DougGilmour93

But...does JBo want to go through a rebuild. Would he be tired of losing?

I can't imagine Kaberle wanting to go to Florida, even if McCabe was there, unless of course they were a couple..lol...

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Hulk Hogan*

I like JayBo, but I would not deal Kaberle in order to get it done.

I would attempt to lure JayBo with a package that included Kubina. I doubt Florida would take that however.

Hulk Hogan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:19 AM
mooseOAK*

Prospects game is tonight, the ACC was crawling with scouts from every team.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:33 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Really can't see Tomas Kaberle waiving his no-trade clause to go to Florida. They may end up making the playoffs but they're not a Cup contender, so as I said I can't see him wanting to go there.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:39 AM
AddMan3001
Don't poke the bear!

If Burke really wants JayBo, why not just try and sign him during the summer, instead of giving up what is probably Toronto's best trading asset?

AddMan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Really can't see Tomas Kaberle waiving his no-trade clause to go to Florida. They may end up making the playoffs but they're not a Cup contender, so as I said I can't see him wanting to go there.
Just to play devils advocate - what Cup contender has enough salary cap space to pick Kaberle's contract?

I think that FLA would probably be a pretty nice place to play. It's not like Kaberle's had a ton of post season activity with the Leafs over the last 3 years, and FLA's fighting for a P/O spot right now with a very young team. Add in that winters are pretty nice in south FLA and there's enough there to think he might consider it.

Not sure why J-Bo would choose TOR though. They'll definetely have the cap-space, but they're rebuilding, which is something that J-Bo has done a lot of. Add in the high pressure situation, which McCabe can tell him all about, and I'd be surprised if JB wants to play there.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:44 AM
VelvetJones

Scouts scout games, it's their job.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:57 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
But...does JBo want to go through a rebuild. Would he be tired of losing?

I can't imagine Kaberle wanting to go to Florida, even if McCabe was there, unless of course they were a couple..lol...
Who's one of Kab's best friends? McCabe.

Kabs has said he likes to play in Florida, Ana, Pho, etc.. because of the climate.

Florida has a good young team and is making a nice push this year.

I think Kaberle agree's to be traded there.

Either in a package for Jay-Bo or a some nice prospects + picks

How about:

1st
Frolik
Keaton Ellerby

For

Kaberle
J. Mitchell

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:09 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Just to play devils advocate - what Cup contender has enough salary cap space to pick Kaberle's contract?

I think that FLA would probably be a pretty nice place to play. It's not like Kaberle's had a ton of post season activity with the Leafs over the last 3 years, and FLA's fighting for a P/O spot right now with a very young team. Add in that winters are pretty nice in south FLA and there's enough there to think he might consider it.

Not sure why J-Bo would choose TOR though. They'll definetely have the cap-space, but they're rebuilding, which is something that J-Bo has done a lot of. Add in the high pressure situation, which McCabe can tell him all about, and I'd be surprised if JB wants to play there.
Well, he has a pretty small contract, so its not such a big deal to fit him in. Most teams could probably fit him this year, and then juggle a couple of role players out to make room afterwards. I agree with the rest of what you said for the most part, but again its hard to say whats going through Bouwmeester's mind - maybe he's sick of playing in a no pressure environment. Who knows really. That proposal works, assuming that Florida is interested in Mitchell, but you could replace him with nearly any other prospect.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddMan3001 View Post
If Burke really wants JayBo, why not just try and sign him during the summer, instead of giving up what is probably Toronto's best trading asset?
I'd think because unless J-Bo REALLY wants to play in TOR, he'll have almost every team in the league interested in him. I think that it would be a HUGE benefit to have 5 months to negotiate with him before anyone else can talk to him.

Old
01-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Hockey2000nyr

i know the history with the panthers always getting shafted by their trades in the past, but i highly doubt that the panthers would give up both frolik and ellerby not to mention an additional first in a deep draft. i dont see it happening at all. kaberle is good, but i dont think u'll get a deal like that from the panthers, i can see you getting a deal like that from a team whos looking like a sure bet to make the playoffs, and go far so they added a guy like kaberle to put them over the edge.

i know not many playoff teams do have a lot of cap space, but i honestly just dont see the panthers making a trade like that, they are a young team fighting for a playoff spot and i think that they will only get better as time goes on, they are going to be one of the many young teams to look out for in a year or two, also depending on whether j-bo wants to stay there

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:14 AM
grabo84

I think getting Bouwmeester would be overreaching a bit on the leafs part at this point in time. And really, Burke won't trade for him unless he's sure that he'll resign. But I agree that Burke definitely wants a defenceman like that.

Old
01-14-2009, 10:16 AM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddMan3001 View Post
agreed

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
I think getting Bouwmeester would be overreaching a bit on the leafs part at this point in time. And really, Burke won't trade for him unless he's sure that he'll resign. But I agree that Burke definitely wants a defenceman like that.
I agree with grabo84. Jay Bouwmeester would not be good for any rebuilding team at this time, unless he was signed to a longer term agreement. Rebuilding teams would never trade their top assets for a rental, only to have them leave the next year via free agency like Brian Campbell did to San Jose.

If Bouwmeester cannot be signed and wants out of Florida, he will be traded as a rental to a contending team. Otherwise, there is no need for any rebuilding team to make a trade for Bouwmeester without the new term agreement in place.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post

Kabs has said he likes to play in Florida, Ana, Pho, etc.. because of the climate.

How about:

1st
Frolik
Keaton Ellerby

For

Kaberle
J. Mitchell
Call me crazy, but I don't think that the blueline is such a huge need that FLA would be willing to move Frolik - who's looked VERY good, plus a recent 1st round DP, plus their first this year in a deep draft year, when they didn't have a first last year after the Vokoun trade. The J-Bo/Kaberle deal would look good from FLA's perspective if they can't resign J-Bo and Kaberle can slot into that role/salary for FLA.

Old
01-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post

How about:

1st
Frolik
Keaton Ellerby

For

Kaberle
J. Mitchell
What a horrible freaking proposal. There isn't a singe player on the Leafs I would trade Frolik for, let alone adding in our top defensive prospect and a first.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Miller Time

I definitely think a deal centred around Kaberle/JBo makes a lot of sense for both teams (assuming JBo makes it clear that he will not re-sign with Florida before testing free agency, because if there is any chance at re-signing him, he's the kind of player you obviously don't let walk).

a simple deal would be something like:

to Fla-
Kaberle
White

to Tor-
JBo
Murphy
conditional pick

then again, blockbuster deals, as unrealistic as they may be, are fun to dream up...

to Fla-
Kaberle
Antropov
Tlusty
Kubina

Martin adequately replaces JBo/Horton as far as this season is concerned, plus adds a top notch young offensive talent in Tlusty, and a cheap youngish Dman in white. Kaberle/Kubina/Tlusty join the Czech contingent of the team, giving the Cats a stable of talented (mostly young) players from the same country (Olesz, Frolik, Repik, Tlusty, Kreps, plus Vokoun, Kaberle, Kubina, Dvorak) ... a development plan that seems to work well for the Red Wings

a defense of Kaberle/Ballard/Mccabe/Kubina/Skrastins/*Allen*(Cullimore) could easily be the best in the league come playoffs and next season.

to Tor-
JBo (assuming a pre-negotiated extension is in place)
Horton
Boyton
Campbell
3rd 09

Burke makes over his team to his image in one fell swoop, fast forwarding the rebuilding process.
JBo gives him his minute eating all-star dman, Boyton his sandpaper "stick up for everyone" bodyguard, Horton his young wrecking ball PF and Campbell his hard-working gritty "willing to pay the price" canadian boy, and the 3rd gives him more wiggle room come draft day.

maybe just enough risk/reward for both teams to be willing the crazyness of a big roster change...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:57 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
What a horrible freaking proposal. There isn't a singe player on the Leafs I would trade Frolik for, let alone adding in our top defensive prospect and a first.
You guys are that high on Frolik? I'd have to assume that Schenn at the very least has more value right now. I'd have to see him play more often to be 100% sure though.

Old
01-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I definitely think a deal centred around Kaberle/JBo makes a lot of sense for both teams (assuming JBo makes it clear that he will not re-sign with Florida before testing free agency, because if there is any chance at re-signing him, he's the kind of player you obviously don't let walk).

a simple deal would be something like:

to Fla-
Kaberle
White

to Tor-
JBo
Murphy
conditional pick

then again, blockbuster deals, as unrealistic as they may be, are fun to dream up...

to Fla-
Kaberle
Antropov
Tlusty
Kubina

Martin adequately replaces JBo/Horton as far as this season is concerned, plus adds a top notch young offensive talent in Tlusty, and a cheap youngish Dman in white. Kaberle/Kubina/Tlusty join the Czech contingent of the team, giving the Cats a stable of talented (mostly young) players from the same country (Olesz, Frolik, Repik, Tlusty, Kreps, plus Vokoun, Kaberle, Kubina, Dvorak) ... a development plan that seems to work well for the Red Wings

a defense of Kaberle/Ballard/Mccabe/Kubina/Skrastins/*Allen*(Cullimore) could easily be the best in the league come playoffs and next season.

to Tor-
JBo (assuming a pre-negotiated extension is in place)
Horton
Boyton
Campbell
3rd 09

Burke makes over his team to his image in one fell swoop, fast forwarding the rebuilding process.
JBo gives him his minute eating all-star dman, Boyton his sandpaper "stick up for everyone" bodyguard, Horton his young wrecking ball PF and Campbell his hard-working gritty "willing to pay the price" canadian boy, and the 3rd gives him more wiggle room come draft day.

maybe just enough risk/reward for both teams to be willing the crazyness of a big roster change...
The first deal works for the Panthers, but not for Toronto and the second is **** for the Panthers. You can keep Kubina and that contract.

Old
01-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
From what Frolik has showed over the past 2 months... yea I'll take him over Schenn.

Bure1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
You guys are that high on Frolik? I'd have to assume that Schenn at the very least has more value right now. I'd have to see him play more often to be 100% sure though.
Absolutely were that high on him. I'd be surprised if you found a single Panther fan who would trade Frolik for Schenn. That's not to say Schenn isn't more valuable or a better player, but Frolik is something that the Panthers have lacked for years and we won't need another defenseman unless we were to lose Bouwmeester.

Old
01-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

I highly doubt J-bo signs with Tor. He's already been on a rebuilding team ans he's paid hes dues. He want's to go to the playoffs and play on a good team.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote