HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

It might be time for GMGM to shake up this team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2009, 06:21 PM
  #26
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandonlytankers View Post
Washington is middle of the pack in terms of average age so the young team excuse is no longer valid.
I think its valid. The average age thing is pretty misleading. I think the Caps have the youngest defense in the nhl. an area where experience is the most important.

except for Tom Poti all of the Caps best players are the Semin and younger players. Thats all their impact. Their age comes in role players like Fedorov and Brashear. If there was more of a mix or the Caps were veteran impact players surrounded by young role players, I would agree with you. But the Caps are a very young core filled in with some age around them.

Its also true that the Caps age average is skewed by two very old players, Fedorov and Brashear.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:54 PM
  #27
Dream Big
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think its valid. The average age thing is pretty misleading. I think the Caps have the youngest defense in the nhl. an area where experience is the most important.

except for Tom Poti all of the Caps best players are the Semin and younger players. Thats all their impact. Their age comes in role players like Fedorov and Brashear. If there was more of a mix or the Caps were veteran impact players surrounded by young role players, I would agree with you. But the Caps are a very young core filled in with some age around them.

Its also true that the Caps age average is skewed by two very old players, Fedorov and Brashear.
Plus Nylander is another grey beard.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:18 AM
  #28
oneandonlytankers*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think its valid. The average age thing is pretty misleading. I think the Caps have the youngest defense in the nhl. an area where experience is the most important.

except for Tom Poti all of the Caps best players are the Semin and younger players. Thats all their impact. Their age comes in role players like Fedorov and Brashear. If there was more of a mix or the Caps were veteran impact players surrounded by young role players, I would agree with you. But the Caps are a very young core filled in with some age around them.

Its also true that the Caps age average is skewed by two very old players, Fedorov and Brashear.
Surprise, surprise, the drama queen, devil's advocate #1 has to make a point against me. This comes from Ted himself that age is no longer an excuse. Average age is average age, no matter how you slice it.

oneandonlytankers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:20 AM
  #29
Chokingdogs
Registered User
 
Chokingdogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandonlytankers View Post
Washington is middle of the pack in terms of average age so the young team excuse is no longer valid.
fedorov, huggybear, and nylander, really skew the average age.

the team is young, it is valid.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:23 AM
  #30
Chokingdogs
Registered User
 
Chokingdogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandonlytankers View Post
Surprise, surprise, the drama queen, devil's advocate #1 has to make a point against me. This comes from Ted himself that age is no longer an excuse. Average age is average age, no matter how you slice it.

teddy is 100% PR. what he says, in terms of the nuts and bolts of the team, means next to nothing.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:34 AM
  #31
oneandonlytankers*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
fedorov, huggybear, and nylander, really skew the average age.

the team is young, it is valid.
The team is middle of the pack, average wise. Period. What don't you understand about average.
The same can be said about most teams when it comes to young players mixed with veterans.

oneandonlytankers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:35 AM
  #32
oneandonlytankers*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
teddy is 100% PR. what he says, in terms of the nuts and bolts of the team, means next to nothing.
I know all about Ted's kool-aid vending machine thank you. He is usually the first to come up with excuses, that's why coming from him has more meaning.

oneandonlytankers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:42 AM
  #33
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,062
vCash: 500
so, does everyone that disagrees a little with "theoneandonly" get PM's of a threatening nature?

"You better pray I never get my hands on you, you fkin ******."

May I ask the moderatos, if this is how we do things here?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:00 AM
  #34
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,438
vCash: 500
The Caps' core is young.

The players who eat up the most minutes are sub-24.

Really, the only vets that eat up minutes are Kozlov, Poti (out) and Erskine (borderline).

Nyles is waiting to be moved. Feds has been out. The goalies are just average. Brash hardly plays.

I've heard a few different hockey folks talk about the January grind this past week and the need to learn to play through it. The Caps really didn't have the luxury last year and are now just learning how to finish out how good teams do.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:18 AM
  #35
HunterSThompson
Registered User
 
HunterSThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
yes but they have one maybe two players that are of average age. the team is made up of young players and a few old players that skew the average age.

either way if the distribution is not normal, which it is not, then median is a better estimate than mean or average.

the median age player is brooks laich at 25.

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:18 AM
  #36
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 23,864
vCash: 50
I think math class is needed here. Maybe the median can be used to provide a different look instead of the classic simpletons average? But if you dont already know that our defense is young, math class is pointless.

Damn he did the math AND posted before me.


Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-15-2009 at 09:24 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:24 AM
  #37
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,042
vCash: 500
Lessons learned on HF boards.

Erskine is a better skater than Green.
Washington is not a young team.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:40 AM
  #38
oneandonlytankers*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think math class is needed here. Maybe the median can be used to provide a different look instead of the classic simpletons average? But if you dont already know that our defense is young, math class is pointless.

Damn he did the math AND posted before me.
For all you eggheads out there, taken from the players roster on team's website,
12 players born before 1982 (26 or over) 2 born in 1982 and 11 born after 1982.
Looks pretty average to me.

oneandonlytankers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:44 AM
  #39
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
so, does everyone that disagrees a little with "theoneandonly" get PM's of a threatening nature?

"You better pray I never get my hands on you, you fkin ******."

May I ask the moderatos, if this is how we do things here?
We can't do anything about PM's to other members, unfortunately, except recommend using your ignroe lists.

__________________
mrwarden is in ur threads, deleting ur posts
mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:54 AM
  #40
HunterSThompson
Registered User
 
HunterSThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandonlytankers View Post
For all you eggheads out there, taken from the players roster on team's website,
12 players born before 1982 (26 or over) 2 born in 1982 and 11 born after 1982.
Looks pretty average to me.
helmer, sloan, giroux, varlamov and pothier are on that list

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:59 AM
  #41
oneandonlytankers*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom2Ovechkin View Post
helmer, sloan, giroux, varlamov and pothier are on that list
OK, take those five out and it still evens out. What's your point?

oneandonlytankers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:01 AM
  #42
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
so, does everyone that disagrees a little with "theoneandonly" get PM's of a threatening nature?

"You better pray I never get my hands on you, you fkin ******."

May I ask the moderatos, if this is how we do things here?
Mods can't do anything about PMs. All you can do is put them on ignore. I had issues with a rangers fan a few weeks ago, and talked to the appropriate people about it, and that was the answer I got.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:42 AM
  #43
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 23,864
vCash: 50
The superstars on our team are young. Ha.

See ya.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:42 AM
  #44
HunterSThompson
Registered User
 
HunterSThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
either way average age in the nhl is about 28 so the median falls below that

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:10 PM
  #45
Chokingdogs
Registered User
 
Chokingdogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
hmmmm, i'm seeing a pattern here.

looks quite familiar.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:18 PM
  #46
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandonlytankers View Post
For all you eggheads out there, taken from the players roster on team's website,
12 players born before 1982 (26 or over) 2 born in 1982 and 11 born after 1982.
Looks pretty average to me.
So the team's median is right around 26. And the league as a whole has a median of around 28. Looks like we're a young team to me.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:40 PM
  #47
EYEuhFRAYtee
Registered User
 
EYEuhFRAYtee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 2,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Lessons learned on HF boards.

Erskine is a better skater than Green.
Washington is not a young team.
I forgot about Erskine being a better skater than Green


Ovechkin has lost the hunger for hockey after signing that huge contract last year.

EYEuhFRAYtee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:00 PM
  #48
gintonic
Registered User
 
gintonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 459
vCash: 500
Should not be hasty

Patience might be the better option here in order to get a feel for which prospects will be able to establish themselves.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:13 PM
  #49
BamaCapsFan
Registered User
 
BamaCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 614
vCash: 500
Doom And Gloom!

BamaCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:14 PM
  #50
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
so, does everyone that disagrees a little with "theoneandonly" get PM's of a threatening nature?

"You better pray I never get my hands on you, you fkin ******."

May I ask the moderatos, if this is how we do things here?

Why didn't you just tell him to come and find you? Internet tough guys are the saddest of types. Hiding behind a keyboard. And getting riled up over the written word. If you can't beat someone with words, get in a fight and beat them with fists. It's basically saying "I give, you're smarter than me", IMO.

Shrug

Ridley Simon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.