I think this would be an interesting question to ask right about now, since things are kind of topsy-turvy in the NHL in some respects. Anyhow, my question is this:
Who are your top 5 NHL players?
Please note, I'm not just asking for this year. Take everything into account - offensive ability, defensive ability, mental game, physical size, durability, and everything else that rolls up into an NHL player. The only thing I'd scratch is potential, as it has no bearing on what I'm asking.
Also, I'm not asking for top 5 + honourable mentions, a top 10 list, or a top 5 per position list. Just 5 players! .
As a Devils fan, this is biased, but... also in no particular order
St. Louis - so important to his team, so talented on both sides of the puck
Niedermayer - so underrated as a player and leader
Brodeur - enough said
Forsberg - see above
Pronger - is just so good at what he does
Why can't people just choose 5? Arg! I swear, it's impossible.
So Fedorov is #5, Pronger #6 for you, M=G? Or Modano #5?
I've never been able to chose between Mike and Feds, they are as equal as it gets in terms of two way play, the value they provide for their teams and their consistency. Bump Pronger off the list if you're having such a problem with it..
1. Peter Forsberg [Best player in the game]
2. Niklas Lidstrom [Best defenseman in the game, rarely makes mistakes]
3. Martin Brodeur [Best goaltender in the game today]
4. Markus Naslund [If you want a goal, put him on the ice]
5. Rob Blake [Excellent all around defenseman]
2. Forsberg [put him at 2 since he's usually hurt =p]
3. Yzerman [for more than just hockey skills, he's the best captain in the game as of right now]
5. Stevens [you saw what happened for a while when stevens was first out.]
1. Markus Naslund
3. Chris Pronger [He'd be ahead of Lidstrom if it wasn't for this injury that kept him out for almost all of last season.]
4. Jarome Iginla
5. Peter Forsberg [He's the most talented of the bunch but he has very questionnable durability]