HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Small Saku Setback

Old
01-14-2009, 04:08 PM
GoldenForum

vCash: 500
Small Saku Setback

During his press conference today, Carbo said Saku suffered a small setback (felt pain while skating). They sent him to the doc and told him to stay off skates for a few days. Assuming he skates again by the weekend, he'll need a solid week of practice with teammates before getting back into a game. Do the math and Saku will likely not be back before the ASG (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

Let's get Saku and Price healthy to play against the Lightning on Jan. 27.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenForum View Post
During his press conference today, Carbo said Saku suffered a small setback (felt pain while skating). They sent him to the doc and told him to stay off skates for a few days. Assuming he skates again by the weekend, he'll need a solid week of practice with teammates before getting back into a game. Do the math and Saku will likely not be back before the ASG (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

Just to be clear, did he say this about Koivu or Price? They're showing a video clip on TSN.ca where he says exactly what you said above, but it's about Price, not Koivu.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
They will all be back after the all star break,the trip in Florida .Better like that we need them at 100%

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:26 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:

saku

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:15 PM
mikeg

Saw him at chapters today... He looked fine to me!

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Next Best Thing*

Forget the Bruins, let them both heal up 100%

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:30 PM
GoldenForum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Just to be clear, did he say this about Koivu or Price? They're showing a video clip on TSN.ca where he says exactly what you said above, but it's about Price, not Koivu.
At first it was a little difficult to tell because you can't hear the reporter's question (it's the 1st question asked at the press conference). If you listen to the Carbo interview, after speaking about this person (Saku), he then transitions to Price very clearly so I would say 98% sure he was first referring to Saku as the small setback. Have a listen for yourself and let us know your take.

Old
01-14-2009, 05:40 PM
AH

On TSN they are making the passage to be about Price.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Puckhead58*

I love Saku Koivu, but we can't have him miss so much time because of injury. I think the injuries he has had in the last 2 or 3 seasons should greatly effect his next contract with the team.

I think we should sign him to a 3 year contract at $3 million a season....and not a penny more!!! He is valuable to the team, but if he is going to miss so much time with nagging injuries....we can't have too much of our cap space wasted on him. Id rather spend the money on a player who is going to play 80 games a season and score us 70-80 points. Koivu is getting old and brittle....maybe he should start thinking about retirement.

PS. From what I understand from the interview...Carbo was talking about Koivu's ankle, not Price's.....but thats just my opinion from what I seen....I could be wrong....but its highly unlikely!!! lol.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I love Saku Koivu, but we can't have him miss so much time because of injury. I think the injuries he has had in the last 2 or 3 seasons should greatly effect his next contract with the team.

I think we should sign him to a 3 year contract at $3 million a season....and not a penny more!!! He is valuable to the team, but if he is going to miss so much time with nagging injuries....we can't have too much of our cap space wasted on him. Id rather spend the money on a player who is going to play 80 games a season and score us 70-80 points. Koivu is getting old and brittle....maybe he should start thinking about retirement.

PS. From what I understand from the interview...Carbo was talking about Koivu's ankle, not Price's.....but thats just my opinion from what I seen....I could be wrong....but its highly unlikely!!! lol.
you do realize that previous to this year, since 2002-2003 only missed a combined 30 games over those 5 years.

This injury plagued thing is completely overblown.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Joe Malone

Interesting Stats:

Koivu 755 career games 613 points
Lecavalier 753 career games 640 points

I'm not here to argue or debate anything, (I know the age difference), just giving the little Finn some credit he never receives....

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
you do realize that previous to this year, since 2002-2003 only missed a combined 30 games over those 5 years.

This injury plagued thing is completely overblown.
Facts just cloud his argument.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:35 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I think we should sign him to a 3 year contract at $3 million a season....and not a penny more!!!
Yeah good luck with that. You have guys like Ryan Malone and David Legwand making $4.5m and Koivu's going to sign for $3m? Heck Andrei Kostitsyn would make more money than him at that rate.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:44 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
Saw him at chapters today... He looked fine to me!
What did he buy?
Or was he there just to read the books and magazines for free?

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone View Post
Interesting Stats:

Koivu 755 career games 613 points
Lecavalier 753 career games 640 points

I'm not here to argue or debate anything, (I know the age difference), just giving the little Finn some credit he never receives....
Everyone knows that Lecavalier just reached his potential 3 seasons ago. He has been more than PPG over that time. If you were to compare them at the end of their career you'd see a much bigger difference in their stats...

Lecavs was brought into the league much too young and took longer to develop.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:23 AM
JMMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Everyone knows that Lecavalier just reached his potential 3 seasons ago. He has been more than PPG over that time. If you were to compare them at the end of their career you'd see a much bigger difference in their stats...

Very true barring injury he will have a much higher PPG then Koivu. Unless he were to be traded a defensive first team.

Old
01-15-2009, 10:27 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

Yeah but if you're going to make those excuses for Lacavalier, you can't ignore Koivu's knee injuries, cancer, etc. Who knows how close they could've been.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:31 AM
JMMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeah but if you're going to make those excuses for Lacavalier, you can't ignore Koivu's knee injuries, cancer, etc. Who knows how close they could've been.

Oh if Koivu never had any of that trouble I am sure Koivu would be right with Vinny if not ahead of him.
When he suffered his first knee injury he was tied with Jagr or Lemieux for league scoring in December. He was dominating virtually every game with his blazing speed and willingness to win puck battles.

Old
01-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Yes I can...because those knee injuries and other injuries have change the player Koivu is/could have been. He'll never be as good as he could have been.

Lecavalier on the other hand has pretty much hit his full potential and is a top 10 forward in the league and will be for at least the next couple of years. Comparing his career totals to Koivu's is useless because we all know how much both of them are putting up at this point in their careers (Vinny - 100+, Koivu 60-70)

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Yeah good luck with that. You have guys like Ryan Malone and David Legwand making $4.5m and Koivu's going to sign for $3m? Heck Andrei Kostitsyn would make more money than him at that rate.

Well that makes sense!!! IMO.
Kostitsyn is young and just coming into the league, so of course his contracts are going to be higher than someone who is 33 and who can't play a full season because he is injured all the time.

Stuff like that should be used as a bargaining tool. If Gainey knows that Koivu missed 30 games this season and 15 last season and 10 the season before that, he should be able to use that against Koivu when negotiating his contract. Why should Koivu earn $5+ million a season if he can't even play a full 82 game season??

I guess I would make a terrible GM in the NHL since I don't just dish out money to players who don't deserve it. Nothing bugs me more than seeing a mediocre player get a huge contract....like Staal on the Pens. He isn't the type of player that deserves a 4yr/$16 million dollar contract yet in his career. He had 1 good season so far. Last season he wasn't nearly as good as he was in his first season and this season he is somewhere in between, but none of that translates into 4yr's/16 million dollars....IMO. I would have gave him 3 years at 2.5 - 3 million a season. That would have been a huge raise for him and it would be right about what he should be making at this stage of his career. Then in 3 years time, if he played well enough to earn more money, then give him a longer contract at 4-5 million a season, but to hand over so much money this early in his career is a huge mistake and its most of the reason why teams have financial trouble or trouble filling their roster because they don't have the cap space.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 11:44 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Well that makes sense!!! IMO.
Kostitsyn is young and just coming into the league, so of course his contracts are going to be higher than someone who is 33 and who can't play a full season because he is injured all the time.

Stuff like that should be used as a bargaining tool. If Gainey knows that Koivu missed 30 games this season and 15 last season and 10 the season before that, he should be able to use that against Koivu when negotiating his contract. Why should Koivu earn $5+ million a season if he can't even play a full 82 game season??

I guess I would make a terrible GM in the NHL since I don't just dish out money to players who don't deserve it. Nothing bugs me more than seeing a mediocre player get a huge contract....like Staal on the Pens. He isn't the type of player that deserves a 4yr/$16 million dollar contract yet in his career. He had 1 good season so far. Last season he wasn't nearly as good as he was in his first season and this season he is somewhere in between, but none of that translates into 4yr's/16 million dollars....IMO. I would have gave him 3 years at 2.5 - 3 million a season. That would have been a huge raise for him and it would be right about what he should be making at this stage of his career. Then in 3 years time, if he played well enough to earn more money, then give him a longer contract at 4-5 million a season, but to hand over so much money this early in his career is a huge mistake and its most of the reason why teams have financial trouble or trouble filling their roster because they don't have the cap space.
I'd rather pay a guy for 65-70 games and have him come to the rink and show up for those 65-70 games, provide great leadership and example to the young players, than pay a guy for 82 games, and have him show up for 40-50 of those (if he's having a good season).

Koivu>Kovalev.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:55 PM
GoldenForum

Interesting Koivu GP stat: one of French papers reported this morning that in 13 seasons, Koivu has missed at least 15 games/season eight times. That includes this season-- he's now missed or is about to miss his 15th game.

Just get Saku ready for February/March. Let him get back into game shape and then we'll watch The Warrior come alive and lead this team in the playoffs.

(To the guy who said we should pay him "only" 3 mil/season going forward, remember the playoff performer he is. Perhaps 3.75 mil/year for 3 more years is more fair/doable.)

Old
01-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:

Playoff stats:

Koivu 50 games 45 points
Lecav 45 games 33 points

There's so many different ways we could compare these two players. One is older, one is bigger, one had cancer, one had better linemates, both played on horrible teams at one point.....it goes on and on.

Lecavalier is a better player. Koivu deserves more respect from some people.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Mont Royale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
What did he buy?
Or was he there just to read the books and magazines for free?
Hopefully, French for Dummies.

Mont Royale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Interesting Koivu GP stat: one of French papers reported this morning that in 13 seasons, Koivu has missed at least 15 games/season eight times. That includes this season-- he's now missed or is about to miss his 15th game.

Just get Saku ready for February/March. Let him get back into game shape and then we'll watch The Warrior come alive and lead this team in the playoffs.

(To the guy who said we should pay him "only" 3 mil/season going forward, remember the playoff performer he is. Perhaps 3.75 mil/year for 3 more years is more fair/doable.)
interesting but out dated and hasn't been too relevant for about 5 years now.

Interesting but also wrong i think. He has played over 67 games in 7 out of 12 years prior to this one and i don't really consider the cancer as part of injuries.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote