HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Glen Sather..

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2009, 04:07 PM
oliverl97

vCash: 500
Glen Sather..

Why all this Sather bashing?? Look at all the talent he got us : Gomez Drury Jagr Shanny Redden Straka , his job is to get the best talent which he is doing. So why do u guys hate him so much?

Old
01-14-2009, 04:14 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

His job is also to manage the salary cap which apparently doesn't exist to him.

Old
01-14-2009, 04:18 PM
DontStepanMe

Gomez $7.3 mil per season
Drury $7.05 mil per season
Redden $6.5 mill per season

no cap space to make trades
no go to guys on this team
no real first line
overpaid defense

Old
01-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Going from the different side of the coin here, the obvious has been written about me about the contracts etc. but what also makes him unpopular is his relationship with the media and fans is.....well.....there is none. He's arrogant, never does interviews, never seems to be around, and is not fan friendly.

Old
01-14-2009, 04:27 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Redden is not a good example of a good player he's gotten us, either.
He used to be incredible. Now I'd rather have Potter for a 6th of the price.

Also, in a salary-capped NHL, buying all big-name stars doesn't pay off. This isn't the Yankees. He needs to focus more on kids with potential and good work ethic, with a couple of stars for them to learn from.

Old
01-14-2009, 04:28 PM
oliverl97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo23 View Post
Redden is not a good example of a good player he's gotten us, either.
He used to be incredible. Now I'd rather have Potter for a 6th of the price.
That is what i'm trying to point out. Redden used to be an incredible player before he came here. Are u saying that it's his fault that Redden isin't good now?

Old
01-14-2009, 04:32 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverl97 View Post
Why all this Sather bashing?? Look at all the talent he got us : Gomez Drury Jagr Shanny Redden Straka , his job is to get the best talent which he is doing. So why do u guys hate him so much?
What are you his grandson?

His job is to build a team and franchise that can compete for a championship year in year out. All he has built is a team that is top heavy in salary, paper thin on offensive talent on every level.

We have no real top end talent at the forward position and no Cherepanov was not enough so I am actually including him in this discussion.

We have high end offensive defenceman, but no real studs on the back end outside of Staal.

If our goalie gets hurt, we have his personal doorman in Valliquette ready to step in, who do we have in the system to take Vally's place as back-up?

The team is lacking top end talent on the top lines aside from Zherdev. They are lacking any real size in the line-up, and their overall grit is limited.

I sometimes wonder why I am a fan of this team as it is not a product I am fond of. I hate the defensive style we play because we rely on that way to much. I think there needs to be some balance and we're not finding it.

The type of players Sather has and continues to assemble are not the types of players I appreciate. Nor do that represent the personality of New York City.

Then I look at the jersey's and think to myself, how can I root against this team even with all the negative feelings I currently harbour.

Sather has not built a team I can truly appreciate, but he's not going to be here for ever.....right?

Old
01-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Quote:
That is what i'm trying to point out. Redden used to be an incredible player before he came here. Are u saying that it's his fault that Redden isin't good now?
It's his fault that Redden is overpaid. That's the problem with the salary cap era, we can't afford to make mistakes like this.

Old
01-14-2009, 04:47 PM
TheHotRock

i thank sather for the first two years after the lockout. those two team built around jagr (especially 05-06) were a lot of fun to watch.

everything else, not so much.

Old
01-14-2009, 05:10 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'm not here to bash or to support Slats, since I think he's done a decent job all things considered (not great, not terrible). I'll say though that people bash him because the vast majority of people here a malcontents and feel lost when not slamming someone in the organization. With the struggles of the past decade I can understand the feeling, but it does get ridiculous at times.

It's just pain.
Old
01-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
In regards to Redden specifically, the writing has been on the wall with him for over 2 years now. He became a free agent, and Sather paid him like an elite talent, which he is not anymore. This ones on Glen, and its his worst UFA signing (we can argue about Gomez and Drury another day, but the Redden signing will hurt the most down the road).

Truth be told, I was a Sather fan...especially right before the lockout and the season after it. Then he massively overpaid for Drury and Gomez which was a curious move. This past offseason, he really lost me. He completely gutted a competitive team and managed to compromise the cap situation even further by signing Redden and Rosival at a combined 11.5 million dollar cap hit.

Renney, for all his faults, deserves a medal for guiding the jigsaw puzzle Sather hands him every season to the playoffs on an annual basis.

Old
01-14-2009, 05:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
In regards to Redden specifically, the writing has been on the wall with him for over 2 years now. He became a free agent, and Sather paid him like an elite talent, which he is not anymore. This ones on Glen, and its his worst UFA signing (we can argue about Gomez and Drury another day, but the Redden signing will hurt the most down the road).

Truth be told, I was a Sather fan...especially right before the lockout and the season after it. Then he massively overpaid for Drury and Gomez which was a curious move. This past offseason, he really lost me. He completely gutted a competitive team and managed to compromise the cap situation even further by signing Redden and Rosival at a combined 11.5 million dollar cap hit.

Renney, for all his faults, deserves a medal for guiding the jigsaw puzzle Sather hands him every season to the playoffs on an annual basis.
And what are we now?

Not that anyone seems to care, but we're on a better pace than last season.

Old
01-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
And what are we now?

Not that anyone seems to care, but we're on a better pace than last season.
Sure, we're still competitive, but thats because of Lundqvist and Renney, in that order.

I felt like last year's roster had a shot at winning the Cup. Despite a nice spot in the standings, I dont feel the same way this year. Theres just not enough talent there, especially up front...and thats all on Sather.

Old
01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Sure, we're still competitive, but thats because of Lundqvist and Renney, in that order.

I felt like last year's roster had a shot at winning the Cup. Despite a nice spot in the standings, I dont feel the same way this year. Theres just not enough talent there, especially up front...and thats all on Sather.
And if you asked everyone about our chances of winning the Stanley Cup at this time last year you would a nearly identical response as you are giving. In 2007 as well. We have half of the season left to play. Let's see what happens instead of claiming failure in January while we are free falling into 7th place in the NHL.

Old
01-14-2009, 11:28 PM
pavvento

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
And if you asked everyone about our chances of winning the Stanley Cup at this time last year you would a nearly identical response as you are giving. In 2007 as well. We have half of the season left to play. Let's see what happens instead of claiming failure in January while we are free falling into 7th place in the NHL.
Even if we have as good of a chance this year at winning the cup as we did last year, that's not good enough. We added a lot of long term salary this year, and to just be in the same place constitutes failure in my opinion.

Old
01-15-2009, 12:09 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm not here to bash or to support Slats, since I think he's done a decent job all things considered (not great, not terrible). I'll say though that people bash him because the vast majority of people here a malcontents and feel lost when not slamming someone in the organization. With the struggles of the past decade I can understand the feeling, but it does get ridiculous at times.
This.

There's a lot to complain about, but a whole lot of people here (and "hardcore" sports fans in general, judging by other message boards, talk radio, and the Garden crowd) aren't happy unless they're complaining about something, so they focus on the negatives rather than the positives.

As for Sather, he's definitely a part of it. It's easy to see the mistakes that he made, but he has built a team that's been in contention ever since the lockout, which is not something that many franchises can say.

One thing I wouldn't recommend for the OP, however, is trying to defend him by saying that he brought in a great player in Redden. Redden was damaged goods when we got him, and Sather took a big gamble on a change of scenery spurring him to turn it around. It wasn't hard to see this one coming.

Old
01-15-2009, 12:12 AM
ArtieAnisimov

Slats missed out of signing Shanahan at a discount only to keep on scratching Dan Fritsche who has no future here and Aaron Voros who is now worthless. This is one of the many bad moves by Sather.

Old
01-15-2009, 12:19 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlue View Post
Slats missed out of signing Shanahan at a discount only to keep on scratching Dan Fritsche who has no future here and Aaron Voros who is now worthless. This is one of the many bad moves by Sather.
This is exactly why the OP started this thread. Some people are so eager to complain about Sather that they've declared not signing a slow, 40-year old winger to be a bad move before the guy has even put on a uniform with his new team.

Old
01-15-2009, 12:24 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlue View Post
last time he went to sign Shanny for a "home-town discount" it was more than he got paid the season before

Old
01-15-2009, 12:43 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Yawn...good job, an awesome "bash sather" thread but that tried to pretend it wasnt.

C'on all....don't tell me you think he was being serious with his thread to defend sather.

edit - Actually. Closed. No need for thread like this. OP, your new, learn quick, don't bother with threads like this. Like this one, they wont last long.

If someone wants to start a legit "All Sather Thread" be my guest, but this one isn't it.

Closed Thread