HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Fans best in country

Old
01-15-2009, 12:22 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
I live right outside Voorhees, i have no clue how I forgot that.... And its next to Cherry Hill.

I forgot Medford too, which has to be the richest town in the world. Unbelievable money in there. My work is based out of Medford and I work in all these towns, its really ****ing rich down here lol. Shamong has some rather well off people living there, but thats because its spacious. lol. I love Shamong NJ.

Princeton I think gets Flyers games iuno tho. Ill look into it
You guys forgot about haddonfield! I love that little town.

Quote:
I would have put the team in CENTRAL JERSEY a neutral location. But when they did it was stupid, by the time the Devils came to be, Philly and both NY teams were established with solid fan bases.
Quote:

Wanna know the ****ed up thing about Philly being the #1 hockey town?

This is a football town. LMFAO. This city bleeds green. lol.

Yep I agree, why put a team that is how many minutes outside of NYC. That's like putting a team in I don't know? Voorhees because there is already a state of the art hockey facility already there. It just doesn't make sense on the NHL's part.

Yes this town is nuts for the Eagles and I'm there too bhah!

Last edited by dbr2: 01-15-2009 at 12:28 AM.
dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 01:48 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Nice to have Philly noted as the best NHL city in the States.

I'd have picked the twin Minnesota cities (ducks), but nice honour none the less.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 01:56 AM
mucker*

Rangers have to be up there.
Garden Crowds are great, original six, and they support their team win or loss.
Look at how well they drew 97-2004 when they missed seven straight years.
How many other towns with eight other pro teams would still care after that stretch.

No divison titles since the cup year in 1994 I might add.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 03:20 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
No brainer here.. We are the real hockeytown..

I don't think Detroit would even sell out if they had the seasons like we did in the 90s. Even when our team sucks we still support them 200%
Well, I DO know what it was like before Stevie Y came to town and the Wings sucked. They didn't even clome close to selling out then and they were definitely in the bottom half of the league in attendance. Hell when the Pistons won a couple of championships in the 80's or 90's the Wings were second page news even though they were one of the best in the league and HAD Stevie Y. They only embraced the Wings recently because every other team in that city is rock bottom. As soon as another team rises up, the Wings become a forgotten extra. I know this because my dad grew up in Detroit and still follows all their teams closely (yeah, even the Lions so you have to at least give him props for being loyal though for the past 40 years the Philles and Flyers have taken over as his favs in those 2 sports).

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 04:25 AM
qwertysac

Flyer fans, simply the best.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 05:33 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:

Wanna know the ****ed up thing about Philly being the #1 hockey town?

This is a football town. LMFAO. This city bleeds green. lol.
Football is over hockey in any American city. In Buffalo the city loves its hockey like crazy when they reach the ECF 2 years straight. They love the Bills like crazy when they miss the playoffs every year.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 05:41 AM
chaosof99*

I am an outsider. I've never been to the United States, let alone to Philadelphia, but from what I can tell, there is just a ton of Flyers fans who are very devoted. And not just concentrated in the city of Philadelphia. Hell, for what other team can chants arise in Los Angeles?

I'd actually count myself into the group of Fans outside Philadelphia who are very passionate about the team. I think getting up every other night at 1 am to watch a game could attest to that. So could the Lindros Jersey on my wall and the Gagne jersey in my closet, or the Hextall figurine in my bookshelf and the Clarke figurine that is in the mail by now (hopefully).

I think the main reasons for this is the "us vs. them" mentality that arose from them days of the Bullies as well as the great characters that come to this organization and are still part of it today.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 05:58 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
In South Jersey the Flyers had an established fan base...in North Jersey the Rangers and Islanders had an established fan base...and the Devs have been caught in the middle. Just now you're reaching the point where fans who grew up with the Devs (no assurance that they're Devs fans) are old enough to be earning incomes capable of buying season tickets.

Not to mention the fact that the pricing for the Devs has always been a bit ridiculous.
Makes sense to me. It just always fascinated me that they seemed to have an empty arena...you explain it quite well. Out of curiousity, what's the average price at a Devils game and how does it compare to that of a Flyers game?

I know New York (Rangers) are the second most expensive in the league right behind the Leafs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Central Jersey has it's rich spots but not like the ones in South Jersey close to Philly. A lot of it is middle class, plus NJ charges a lot for their tickets and stuck their arena in Newark.
I heard the location on the new arena there is in a pretty shady neighbourhood. I guess if you want to save money on the land and taxes...you can't expect to be in the ritzy part of town.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
I live right outside Voorhees, i have no clue how I forgot that.... And its next to Cherry Hill.

I forgot Medford too, which has to be the richest town in the world. Unbelievable money in there. My work is based out of Medford and I work in all these towns, its really ****ing rich down here lol. Shamong has some rather well off people living there, but thats because its spacious. lol. I love Shamong NJ.

Princeton I think gets Flyers games iuno tho. Ill look into it
Mmmmm..... all you can eat wings at the Pic. The only thing I think of when I hear Shamong.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blades212 View Post
Rangers have to be up there.
Garden Crowds are great, original six, and they support their team win or loss.
Look at how well they drew 97-2004 when they missed seven straight years.
How many other towns with eight other pro teams would still care after that stretch.

No divison titles since the cup year in 1994 I might add.
Get out of here with your Rangers mumbo-jumbo. Trying to take this away from the Flyers fans. Booooo!

Old
01-15-2009, 11:15 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Get out of here with your Rangers mumbo-jumbo. Trying to take this away from the Flyers fans. Booooo!
thats all those ****** ny fans are good for.

phillies dominate the 08 playoffs and win it all, and i hear mutts fans come up with every excuse why our world series means nothing. as much as i love philly, i hate ny 10 times more.

pic a lilly has great food. period. so does imp

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Kambo

Quote:
thats all those ****** ny fans are good for.

phillies dominate the 08 playoffs and win it all, and i hear mutts fans come up with every excuse why our world series means nothing. as much as i love philly, i hate ny 10 times more.

pic a lilly has great food. period. so does imp
Exactly. I love the city, but the fans give me headache. If they don't win something, it's still like "Well we're still better than you, so ." Like seriously, that's some awesome logic right there. You just made a believer out of me. I'm just waiting to hear what they'll say if the Eagles go on to win. It'll probably be something along the lines of "We won last year, against a much harder team, so it doesn't mean ****." Anything to make themselves feel better.

And the Pics is awesome. I was just there last week. Never had any of their other food, but their wings are damn good, and that's good enough for me. Don't know what imp is.

Old
01-15-2009, 11:32 AM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Exactly. I love the city, but the fans give me headache. If they don't win something, it's still like "Well we're still better than you, so ." Like seriously, that's some awesome logic right there. You just made a believer out of me. I'm just waiting to hear what they'll say if the Eagles go on to win. It'll probably be something along the lines of "We won last year, against a much harder team, so it doesn't mean ****." Anything to make themselves feel better.

And the Pics is awesome. I was just there last week. Never had any of their other food, but their wings are damn good, and that's good enough for me. Don't know what imp is.
ive already heard that from gaints fans. *******s. lol

imp is indian mills pizza. its run by british folks and their food owns. pics ribs are delicious. mmmmmmmmm.

Old
01-16-2009, 05:34 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Central Jersey has it's rich spots but not like the ones in South Jersey close to Philly. A lot of it is middle class, plus NJ charges a lot for their tickets and stuck their arena in Newark.
About 4-5 years ago I read that Bergen Co., where the Meadowlands is located, is the fourth richest county in the COUNTRY. Even when they played there, the Devils still didn't sell out on many (most?) nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Makes sense to me. It just always fascinated me that they seemed to have an empty arena...you explain it quite well. Out of curiousity, what's the average price at a Devils game and how does it compare to that of a Flyers game?
I investigated this pre-lock out when the Devils were still in the Meadowlands and their tickets were more expensive than the Flyers.

Quote:
I know New York (Rangers) are the second most expensive in the league right behind the Leafs.

I heard the location on the new arena there is in a pretty shady neighbourhood. I guess if you want to save money on the land and taxes...you can't expect to be in the ritzy part of town.
There is no "ritzy" part of Newark, but where the Prudential Center is located is the best of the worst, if you will. They are trying to build up that section of Newark. Do not think of Newark, as a city comparable to New York or Philly. As far as I know, there are no sections of million-dollar real estate.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:22 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
About 4-5 years ago I read that Bergen Co., where the Meadowlands is located, is the fourth richest county in the COUNTRY. Even when they played there, the Devils still didn't sell out on many (most?) nights.

I investigated this pre-lock out when the Devils were still in the Meadowlands and their tickets were more expensive than the Flyers.

There is no "ritzy" part of Newark, but where the Prudential Center is located is the best of the worst, if you will. They are trying to build up that section of Newark. Do not think of Newark, as a city comparable to New York or Philly. As far as I know, there are no sections of million-dollar real estate.
I avoid Newark like I avoid Camden or Trenton, if i dont need to be there i aint goin there.