HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jason Pominville.

Old
01-15-2009, 01:46 AM
slugfest*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros View Post
You throw a fit every time someone proposes a Sabres trade in which an asset is given up, it seems. You do realize that you're not going to rob a team of a terrific player, right, and that you need to give in order to get? Pominville is this team's most movable asset, without question, and if trading him means acquiring a really good center, then you ought to be all for it.

Anyone who watches the Sabres night in and night out should be for it, actually.

Because Sabres fans on this board are irrational. They have no idea how trades work. This isn't a video game. Most trades involve picks and prospects being traded to a team who's best interest is to trade away one of their better players. Trades are rarely ever a top 3 roster player for a top 3 roster player switch.

So we move Pommer for a good player. Wow congrats on a lateral movement. Way to "improve our team."

And your proposal for Lecavalier is a ridiculous overpayment by the way. Sickening.

Sabres fans on this board need to stop thinking the sky is falling after every single loss. You guys go nuts when Briere and Drury aren't resigned. But when Vanek, Roy, Pommer, Miller etc. get resigned and all produce well you quickly want to trade them all away because we're only in 7th place right now. I don't get you guys. A bunch of downer fans we have.

slugfest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 01:52 AM
YogiCanucks

What IS the population of Pominville these days?

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 01:52 AM
slugfest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Tazer View Post
I think both teams win. We still have Richards and Hull won't let Modano retire until he's like 46

So we have 2 legit centers and a ton of depth at the wings.
It makes about as much sense as you guys trading us Loui Eriksson for Drew Stafford. Since we're doing odd roster player trades, that's my counter proposal. Don't like it? I don't like the thought of trading Pommer either.

slugfest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrescrazedfan4 View Post
Sabres fans on this board need to stop thinking the sky is falling after every single loss. You guys go nuts when Briere and Drury aren't resigned. But when Vanek, Roy, Pommer, Miller etc. get resigned and all produce well you quickly want to trade them all away because we're only in 7th place right now. I don't get you guys. A bunch of downer fans we have.
Not everyone thinks the sky is falling after a loss (me), but I do agree with you that too many Sabres fans think the team sucks and needs to be blown up just because it's not an elite club anymore.

And Vanek, Roy and Miller are fine; they have produced to their contracts and should be fixtures in Buffalo for a long time.

Now, with that said, we desperately need help up the middle. The only offensively viable center on this roster is Roy; forget about Connolly, who's neither in the lineup enough nor consistent enough. In addition, the center position in the pipeline isn't any great shakes (I like Adam the best among him, Kennedy and Zags). That means we need to go elsewhere to find this elusive center, and how do you do that? By giving up assets. In order, our most movable assets are Pominville, Hecht and Tallinder. Some combination of them should be able to land us a No. 2 at least.

As far as my Lecavalier proposal is concerned, it probably is overpayment. I figured if I started too much on the low side, people would get pissed and riled up.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 02:16 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Consider this about Gomez...

Yes, his contract is horrid without a doubt, but because it is so bad, acquiring him would be far less expensive than acquiring another big center. You don't have to give up much, relatively, to get him. Pominville alone isn't going to get you a truly elite center. Plus, you know he ain't leaving for free agency anytime soon.

Eh? Eh?

(You can't blame me for trying.)

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 02:16 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrescrazedfan4 View Post
Because Sabres fans on this board are irrational. They have no idea how trades work. This isn't a video game. Most trades involve picks and prospects being traded to a team who's best interest is to trade away one of their better players. Trades are rarely ever a top 3 roster player for a top 3 roster player switch.
So we move Pommer for a good player. Wow congrats on a lateral movement. Way to "improve our team."

And your proposal for Lecavalier is a ridiculous overpayment by the way. Sickening.

Whoever said it had to be for a top player, Regier's MO is to trade for an under utilized player and hope they turn out for the best. Moving someone like Pominville would mean Regier would be targetting a young player on his 1st contract that is prognosticated to pan out as a top 6 center and either picks or prospects. This would give him more flexibility dealing with the RFA contracts Stafford, Sekera and CMac would be signing.

The issue with trading picks and prospects for a center is that generally they're heading to UFA and there's no guarantee that they'll resign. Exhibit 1 - Zubrus didn't resign and headed off to NJ so that was a loss of an asset which isn't something Regier likes to do. Resigning those players were definitely the right thing to do, now however you can obviously see the weaknesses on the Sabres roster and it starts with that gapping hole in the middle of the lineup as you have an outstanding 2nd line center in Roy but nothing besides 4th liners the rest of the way. The Sabres need an upgrade at that position so you have to give to get...odd man out is Pominville as he would have the most value in a trade.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 02:27 AM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Consider this about Gomez...

Yes, his contract is horrid without a doubt, but because it is so bad, acquiring him would be far less expensive than acquiring another big center. You don't have to give up much, relatively, to get him. Pominville alone isn't going to get you a truly elite center. Plus, you know he ain't leaving for free agency anytime soon.

Eh? Eh?

(You can't blame me for trying.)
I proposed a Pominville-for-Gomez summer swap early in December (it would've had to wait for the offseason because of cap ramifications), but I wouldn't do it anymore. Gomez hasn't really picked it up at all since then, and his contract is too large to justify trading for him. I'd rather look elsewhere than Gomez now.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 04:40 AM
Luceni

To Buf: Vinney

To Tampa: Pomineville, Cmac, T.J Brennan, first rounder 2010

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote