HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Game 42: vs Buffalo, 1/15

Old
01-17-2009, 04:00 AM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
I personally like the fact that he chirped Avery. I respect that. Same thing with his thoughts on how Team USA was heading in the wrong direction. Why should he just say 'No comment'? I'm tired of hearing the same old hockey interview and find it refreshing when guys speak their mind.

He called out Avery/Ott for being thugs. So what? that's not hockey in my books. I don't want a team a cheer for to be cheap and focus on stuff that is outside of the game.

He's earned the right to say what he wants about this team. I find it funny how people say he's a problem in the locker room when half of the time people said he shouldn't be captain because he wasn't vocal enough. Can't have it both ways.

In terms of Modano's play, he takes shifts off. No doubt about it. But at his age, it's not surprising. I'd take him on the team rather than not.

I'm surprised this is a big deal... with all the interviews I see here in Canada, he says things that are pretty tame in comparison. I cannot believe how this Avery distraction is being spun as an Turco/Modano problem. Ludicrous. He's not a good teammate - look at his track record.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Captain Awesome

vCash: 500
Well, frankly it's quite obvious you're a Modano fanboy. Taking shifts off is not normal, Mike Modano is soft and lacks heart. And no, despite his long tenure he has no right to spout off whenever he feels like, certain things you keep in the locker room because it's nothing but destructive to say it out loud. He didn't say anything of value, so I just don't see the point.

I'm pretty sure we all want to love Mike Modano but he's a waste of space on this team half the time, and if he plays out his contract I hope it won't be with Dave Tippett at the helm, all the coasting is beyond annoying.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Chad_

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo'sShow09 View Post
In terms of Modano's play, he takes shifts off. No doubt about it. But at his age, it's not surprising. I'd take him on the team rather than not.

I'm surprised this is a big deal... with all the interviews I see here in Canada, he says things that are pretty tame in comparison. I cannot believe how this Avery distraction is being spun as an Turco/Modano problem. Ludicrous. He's not a good teammate - look at his track record.
He's taken shifts off for well over a decade. Was he old at 28? It has gotten much worse under Tippett, who seemingly allows him to coast through a game whereas at least Hitchcok tried to keep him honest. Sure, it has gotten progressively worse, but that's one reason why he shouldn't be captain. Another is his incessant whining.

Consider yourself getting hired at a new office. Before your first day, you have already heard and read about how your your future co-workers don't want you around and think you are bad for the environment. Ticked off about the lack of common sense by your future co-workers who just should have evaded the question, you isolate yourself when you get to work. That's all good, because two of the more outspoken and longest tenured co-workers ignore you and talk behind your back, both near the water cooler and to the trade publications. Why would you want to ingratiate yourself into the 'huddle' when it's not reciprocated and it's clear from the start you're not wanted?

Now, I don't care about Avery. I didn't want him on the Stars to begin with. I find his personality to be repugnant. However, it's complete crap with how Modano treated him and is still doing so. If Avery was even one tenth of the distraction Modano claimed he was, bringing him up now and talking about him threatens to bring back the same distraction to the forefront. Why would you do that unless it served your best interest somehow?

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
Yeah, I like Mike Modano. That's obvious, but I agree that he's soft and does take shifts off. As you guys, it's been getting worse and worse under Tippett. I commented to my friends when I was in Ottawa how Modano would skate as far as he could away from the scrums as he could. He's not a tough player and has become much more of a perimeter player. Is that good? Of course not. But like I said, and we'll have to disagree, than he's better for the team than not.

My main point was not saying that Modano's playing at a good level right now, it was that what Modano said wasn't a big deal. I'm glad he was outspoken with the Avery fiasco instead of saying 'no comment'. It's much better that he came out and said it instead of having a comment coming from an 'anonymous teammate' who doesn't have the balls to put his name behind his words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
If Avery was even one tenth of the distraction Modano claimed he was, bringing him up now and talking about him threatens to bring back the same distraction to the forefront. Why would you do that unless it served your best interest somehow?
I truly believed that Avery was a major distraction to this team, however, rehashing it over and over is pointless. I agree. I personally think Turco was frustrated with the team and his play and really took it out on Avery. Modano was probably still ticked off that they even signed him. They treated Avery poorly but no one really knows what happened in the room to deserve being thrown under the bus. Anyway, I agree that rehashing it is pointless and isn't helping the team and I won't argue that point.

Last edited by Dave Karp: 01-17-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote