HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

HDTV TV Help

Old
01-17-2009, 03:33 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
i thought that was an old issue, back before sharp and sony teamed up to make the panels? if they are still pumping out the banding tv's then someone needs to be fired ASAP

my tv is very uniform. using it as a pc monitor at the moment to type this post. clear as day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite View Post
IIRC, the banding issue has been dealt with for quite a while.
Unforunately Sharp did not fix the banding issue, at least not for some of their more recent models....

Last year's entry level model was the D64U and people were still reporting banding on these sets, as well as the 94U... I've read reports of this on AVSForum.com ... Also, if you look up reviews of their newer models at cnet.com , the Cnet reviewers will specifically mention the banding issue and how it hasn't been corrected after previous models they reviewed... On cnet they don't refer to it as banding but they call it "uniformity issues"....

I had researched TV's for about 2-3 years leading up to my flat panel purchases.... I was well aware of the Sharp banding issue.... I think when I started researching the Sharp sets it was the D62U sets that people were complaining about the banding....

I actually own 2 Sharp Aquos sets... I bought them because Sharp offered this special promo 16 months ago where they sold their sets at 50% OFF MSRP for a limited 2-3 week period. I bought a Sharp LC-46D82U (which was their middle tier set below the D92U and the D62U) and I also bought the Sharp LC-37D43U....

I have minor banding on the 46" set (D82U) but nothing significant... I can only notice it if I intentionally look for it and that only happens when watching hockey due to the light background of the ice and the panning of the camera... But as long as I don't consciously look for it, it's not a problem....

There is luckily no banding whatsoever on my 37" set (D43U). However I think Sharp manufactured the smaller sets in another plant or got the panels from another supplier so their smaller sets typically did not exhibit the banding issues of the larger sets...

That being said, it's simply unfathomable that Sharp has continued to let this banding issue persist through multiple model releases... How they can't correct the problem is beyond my comprehension.... The word "banding" has now become synonymous with the word "Sharp"... Other than the banding, they really do make nice sets.... I'm happy with both of mine.... Should I buy another TV moving forward I would probably save up for Pioneer (if they're still in business) or a Panasonic plasma....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 01-17-2009 at 05:32 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:01 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

thanks for the help.

opted for plasma and got this TV... it is beautiful.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0100029&catid=

A bit pricier than I wanted, but I liked it more than the LG model and 1080p was something I was after for gaming and the like.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 08:58 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
thanks for the help.

opted for plasma and got this TV... it is beautiful.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0100029&catid=

A bit pricier than I wanted, but I liked it more than the LG model and 1080p was something I was after for gaming and the like.
That's what I've been looking at. London Drugs had the near identical model (A550) for $1299 in December. I have a raincheck, but no stock

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 02:10 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
That's what I've been looking at. London Drugs had the near identical model (A550) for $1299 in December. I have a raincheck, but no stock
yea, the A550 just has a few more plug-ins (USB 2.0) IIRC. I read reviews of that TV which convinced me to get this one. I was tempted to go for the Panasonic, but it was 500 bucks more at 1999 and I really like the Samsung.

Old
01-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Dempsey

Quote:
yea, the A550 just has a few more plug-ins (USB 2.0) IIRC. I read reviews of that TV which convinced me to get this one. I was tempted to go for the Panasonic, but it was 500 bucks more at 1999 and I really like the Samsung.
I did my research and got the Samsung A530, and yes the only difference in the USB 2.0 jack, which isn't an issue for me. It's a great TV.

London Drugs doesn't expect anymore stock even though their website still lists it for $1299. The people there told me that they sold out instantly as soon as that price went up. I paid $1499 for the A530 at future shop and got the matching home theatre system as well, as a package, for $1799.

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 08:06 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

WTF kind of store name is London Drugs? And why do they sell electronics???

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 09:30 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
I did my research and got the Samsung A530, and yes the only difference in the USB 2.0 jack, which isn't an issue for me. It's a great TV.

London Drugs doesn't expect anymore stock even though their website still lists it for $1299. The people there told me that they sold out instantly as soon as that price went up. I paid $1499 for the A530 at future shop and got the matching home theatre system as well, as a package, for $1799.
That's the same story I'm getting London Drugs. I tried to do a price match at Future Shop, but the best they would offer me the A530 for $1249 if I bought the 3 year protection plan @ $389. The plan is barely worth $100 to me, so I passed for now.

Old
01-24-2009, 02:12 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:

How do you like your home theater set up that came with your TV? Im looking at buying the same thing but have heard a lot a bad things about various "Home Theater in a Box packages" in the past.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 12:51 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

watched my first hockey game on it tonight - was fantastic!

is a dvd player that upscales older dvd's worth it? I have a lot of old dvd's and don't want to make the jump to blu-ray right now.

Old
01-28-2009, 01:10 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Quote:

is a dvd player that upscales older dvd's worth it? I have a lot of old dvd's and don't want to make the jump to blu-ray right now.
If you plan on getting a bluray player in the not too distant future, just wait a bit.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Quote:
No. Your TV will upscale the DVD for you and will likely do a better job then the average upscaling DVD player.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 02:30 PM
ladybugblue

Quote:

I have an old DVD player and got a blu ray player that upscales, and IMO it is worth it. I have only gotten a few blu rays and mainly rent the blu ray for newer movies.

I was able to get a blu ray with the purchase of my TV for $149, but given the prices are starting to come down maybe you can wait to get a good deal.

ladybugblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 02:32 PM
ladybugblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModanoMan View Post
No. Your TV will upscale the DVD for you and will likely do a better job then the average upscaling DVD player.
How does the TV upscale? I know mine does not...it just shows the picture that is there on the input, so if you are not using component or HDMI connections you cannot get a DVD to upscale, at least from what I know.

Old
01-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Smelling Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugblue View Post
How does the TV upscale? I know mine does not...it just shows the picture that is there on the input, so if you are not using component or HDMI connections you cannot get a DVD to upscale, at least from what I know.
TV's nowadays have an internal scaler to scale signals it receives to it's native resolution, whether it's your cable box, DVD player, Blu-Ray player, XBOX360, etc. It's probably best to set your DVD player to 480i output and let your TV do the rest. Most newer TVs should have a pretty good scaler. What TV do you have?

I believe for legal reasons you need HDMI to upscale past 480p to 720/1080, but I could be wrong.

Old
01-28-2009, 03:11 PM
theotis77

Quote:
It's a fixed-pixel display, which means anything below it's native resolution, it HAS to upscale if it plays it full-screen.

Quality upscaling DVD players generally do a better job than using plain progressive scan and the TV's own upscaler, but some TVs compare pretty well to cheaper upscaling players, as long as the DVD player is at least progressive scan.

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I have noticed a lot of people suggesting not to buy 1080. You should NOT do this. This would make you one of the dumbest shoppers out there. If you are looking for a new tv, which is always a hefty investment, why would you want to spend 1100 on something that is going to be out of date in a year and a half? Spend the extra 200 and get a tv that will be state of the art for the foreseeable future. Just because you don't have a Blu-Ray player now does not mean you won't have one next year.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

I have a 46 A530 too, absolutely great tv.

Old
01-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Smelling Salt

No one is suggesting NOT to buy 1080p. But some people are on budgets where $200-$500 more matters. There is nothing wrong with a 720p TV in most viewing environments, especially if you are in no hurry to switch to Blu-Ray. When Blu-Ray starts to matter (years down the road), and broadcast TV is in 1080p (which might be never) then it will matter. Of course maybe next year's models will offer nothing but 1080p at which point it will no longer matter.

Have you ever seen Blu-Ray on a good, properly setup 720p set? It looks the same as on a comparible 1080p set - as in not a higher end set. The extra resolution really makes no difference unless you are sitting right on top of the TV (ie 6 feet in front of a 50", which some people like for sure. In that case, go 1080p). When you spend money on a more expensive 1080p display, the biggest difference over 720p is going to come from contrast levels and colour accuracy, not resolution. A low-end 1080p set isn't much different than a 720p set.

Old
01-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
No one is suggesting NOT to buy 1080p. But some people are on budgets where $200-$500 more matters. There is nothing wrong with a 720p TV in most viewing environments, especially if you are in no hurry to switch to Blu-Ray. When Blu-Ray starts to matter (years down the road), and broadcast TV is in 1080p (which might be never) then it will matter. Of course maybe next year's models will offer nothing but 1080p at which point it will no longer matter.

Have you ever seen Blu-Ray on a good, properly setup 720p set? It looks the same as on a comparible 1080p set - as in not a higher end set. The extra resolution really makes no difference unless you are sitting right on top of the TV (ie 6 feet in front of a 50", which some people like for sure. In that case, go 1080p). When you spend money on a more expensive 1080p display, the biggest difference over 720p is going to come from contrast levels and colour accuracy, not resolution. A low-end 1080p set isn't much different than a 720p set.
yes I have. My parents have a Blu Ray set up on their 1080i tv, whereas I have my Blu-Ray on my 1080p. The difference is absolutely staggering. Blu Ray mattering is not years away, the era of Blu Ray has already begun. Since the new year Blu Ray titles are starting to really come down in price and more and more titles are being added every week. By this point next year Blu Ray will be the standard or close to it.

Old
01-28-2009, 07:19 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I have noticed a lot of people suggesting not to buy 1080. You should NOT do this. This would make you one of the dumbest shoppers out there. If you are looking for a new tv, which is always a hefty investment, why would you want to spend 1100 on something that is going to be out of date in a year and a half? Spend the extra 200 and get a tv that will be state of the art for the foreseeable future. Just because you don't have a Blu-Ray player now does not mean you won't have one next year.
The reason is simple: the average human eye will not notice the difference between 720 and 1080 unless you are sitting very close (what most would consider too close) or have a very large TV (58"+). There are many 720 sets that are reviewed and test higher than 1080 sets for picture quality and other factors. In a normal viewing position you will not notice the difference.

Also, the jump between 720 and 1080 in model lines is more like $400 plus. Unless you are comparing cheap brand 1080 to good brand 720. The difference is usually around 25-50% of total purchase price.

That said, I bought a 1080, but I'm sucker for marketing.

Last edited by FruityPants3*: 01-28-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old
01-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Smelling Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
yes I have. My parents have a Blu Ray set up on their 1080i tv, whereas I have my Blu-Ray on my 1080p. The difference is absolutely staggering. Blu Ray mattering is not years away, the era of Blu Ray has already begun. Since the new year Blu Ray titles are starting to really come down in price and more and more titles are being added every week. By this point next year Blu Ray will be the standard or close to it.
The difference will not be "staggering" unless their set is hopelessly misconfigured or very old. I realize hyberbole is a pre-requisite for posting on an Internet forum, but lets not get carried away.

Here is a quote from CNET:

Quote:
Most 1080p sets are now capable of fully resolving 1080i and 1080p material. But that hasn't altered our views about 1080p TVs. We still believe that when you're dealing with TVs 50 inches and smaller, the added resolution has only a very minor impact on picture quality. On a regular basis in our HDTV reviews, we put 720p (or 768p) sets next to 1080p sets, then feed them both the same source material, whether it's 1080i or 1080p, from the highest-quality Blu-ray and HD DVD players. We typically watch both sets for a while, with eyes darting back and forth between the two, looking for differences in the most-detailed sections, such as hair, textures of fabric, and grassy plains. Bottom line: It's almost always very difficult to see any difference--especially from farther than 8 feet away on a 50-inch TV.
And Blu-Ray won't even be close to 'standard' next year, if by standard you mean sales. People are not in a hurry to replace their DVDs yet. It's gonna be quite a few years before BR even accounts for 1/4 of movie/player sales.

Bottom line: Buy the best TV you can afford.

Old
01-28-2009, 10:20 PM
ladybugblue

Quote:
TV's nowadays have an internal scaler to scale signals it receives to it's native resolution, whether it's your cable box, DVD player, Blu-Ray player, XBOX360, etc. It's probably best to set your DVD player to 480i output and let your TV do the rest. Most newer TVs should have a pretty good scaler. What TV do you have?

I believe for legal reasons you need HDMI to upscale past 480p to 720/1080, but I could be wrong.
Sony 46" V series. I am pretty sure mine does not upscale but I could be wrong.

Old
01-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Smelling Salt

Quote:
Sony 46" V series. I am pretty sure mine does not upscale but I could be wrong.
Your TV's scaler will upscale the DVD signal to 1080p.

But yes, if you have a upscaling 1080p DVD player, component won't work. Your TV will do it for you though.

Last edited by Smelling Salt: 01-28-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old
01-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Grind Line

sports and fast action equals plasma.

Look into Panasonic! Everyone i know has one and loves it for sport, action movies etc

Great quality screen.

Dont buy Samsung. Sound quality is pretty bad!

Grind Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 02:36 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Does sound quality really matter, though, when you're likely to run it through an external system anyway? I can't imagine someone buying a Plasma and using the television's speakers.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote