HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with Clark

Old
01-15-2009, 04:57 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
What to do with Clark

I am a Clark supporter, but I don't see how the Caps can have the team Captain taking healthy scratches. Are the Caps still thinking he has room to improve back toward his game?

If the scratch is a sign that they can't wait on him, they also can't keep scratching him. I love the guy, but this is salary cap space that they can use. Clark can be cut, waived or assigned and the Caps will get his cap hit back.

Am I jumping the gun?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Am I jumping the gun?
Nope. Clark hasn't been a productive player since the spring of 2007, coming up on two calendar years. That year, 06-07, was his only year over 40 points.

I haven't seen any indications that Clark is likely to return to 50 point form, and I'd start to consider ways to get out of that contract. He's a stand up guy, he will understand and be a trooper about it.

EDIT: They absolutely must get out of that contract before 2010-2011, when Flash, Semin and Backstrom will all have new deals.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 05:10 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I think we have to keep playing him and pray he finds his game. Healthy, he's a very poor man's Shane Doan and that's something that our lineup really lacks...and something that is almost never available from outside the organization.

He's untradeable and I don't like the idea of waiving him. I'm not a sentimental person, but he's given a lot to the franchise. Sending him to Hershey just seems too much.

Basically for me, the upside of playing him far exeeds the upside of waiving him.

Now that we're healthy up front, I think we'll see rotating scratches of Bradley, Clark and Fehr. Steckel and Gordon may join the parade once Gordo's healthy. Fedorov may even play on D some games like earlier in the season to ease the gridlock. That's not ideal, but I think it makes the best of the situation.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 05:48 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Clark > Nylander

/thread

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Clark > Nylander

/thread
I don't think Clark > anyone right now.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:21 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I don't think Clark > anyone right now.
Pretty much. Except once in a while, Nylander shows that he can still make plays.

Wait, I'm still confused about cap space ramifications of sending players down -- in the worst case, is there a way for the Caps to stash Clark somewhere, pay him, but retain the entire cap space?

If so, it may come to that -- I don't think there will be any great solutions to this situation. He will probably make it somehow through this season, and then probably the Caps will give him another chance at training camp, just because his contract and status make it so difficult to do anything with him.

When he starts sitting out consistently, he'll probably give up the captaincy, and the Caps will probably try to package him off to some other team. If they fail.. they will probably buy him out, which is going to be what, about 1M cap hit for four or so seasons?

Not much fun for anybody... But I guess that's what happens when a young team makes the tough choice of trying to hold on to gritty career 3rd liners who come off a career year playing with budding superstars. Pens didn't hold on to Malone, for example -- that was in some ways a similar situation..

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

I think Clark needs to be given more time to find his game.
He knows his hands and instincts arent where they were so he is trying to make an impact in other physical ways. i respect that and i think its a 2 sided coin.
on the one hand, it shows he is doing everything in his power to get back to be making a contribution every night, on the other hand, it may be part of what is making him such a shadow of his former self. thinking too much and second guessing, not playing on instinct.

show him games of himself 2 years ago.
put squash balls in his gloves so hes not holding the stick so tight.

give the captain time beyond time so that if it does come down to having to move or release him, there is no doubt that its the right thing to do.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:28 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

I was trying to think back as to the last time a Captain of a team was a healthy scratch and not being sat for a pending trade. I like how Joe B. and Locker went out of their way to say it wasn't because of Clark's poor as to why he was riding the pine last night. Really???

Honestly this is Ovechkin's team.

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
malyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Pretty much. Except once in a while, Nylander shows that he can still make plays.

Wait, I'm still confused about cap space ramifications of sending players down -- in the worst case, is there a way for the Caps to stash Clark somewhere, pay him, but retain the entire cap space?

If so, it may come to that -- I don't think there will be any great solutions to this situation. He will probably make it somehow through this season, and then probably the Caps will give him another chance at training camp, just because his contract and status make it so difficult to do anything with him.

When he starts sitting out consistently, he'll probably give up the captaincy, and the Caps will probably try to package him off to some other team. If they fail.. they will probably buy him out, which is going to be what, about 1M cap hit for four or so seasons?

Not much fun for anybody... But I guess that's what happens when a young team makes the tough choice of trying to hold on to gritty career 3rd liners who come off a career year playing with budding superstars. Pens didn't hold on to Malone, for example -- that was in some ways a similar situation..
If they send him to hershey none of his salary counts against the cap.

But they still have to pay him.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:54 PM
txpd

I see the conversation about sticking with him, but same people seem to want to stick with Fehr as well. One or the other is going to sit. Neither are going to find their game taking a scratch.

If nothing changes, come playoff time I would rather have Clark in the lineup than Fehr.
That is the only value I see to keeping Clark if he is going to be scratched.

Old
01-15-2009, 07:05 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Clark > Nylander

/thread
At some point, don't we have to accept the fact that too few teams would even consider adding Nylander, and Nylander will only accept a trade to a tiny subset of contending teams, thereby making trading him next to impossible? And don't we then need to move to plan B if we're going to make any moves at all? Or does every plan B thread end with:

Quote:
[Insert Player] > Nylander

/thread
With the prospect of a static or dropping cap looming, contending teams with hopes of contending in the future aren't going to be taking fliers on 37 year old players with significant contracts that outpace their recent performance. It's just not going to happen.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

His benching last night means nothing more than he and Fehr are borderline roster players right now. Neither one has done anything to take the spot from the other, so they will probably continue to rotate.

There's no way out of that contract.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:17 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
we should do nothing different. George and Bruce seem quite content having a captain that has trouble getting a sweater. Play him against tougher opponents, and let him compete for time with Fehr and Bradley and help cover our never ending injuries.

Just have him healthy for late in the season. He's one of those playoff kinda guys that fans may not appreciate in January.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:46 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
If they send him to hershey none of his salary counts against the cap.

But they still have to pay him.
Thanks! For some reason I never got a clear answer about how that works.

Well, then there is at least a chance that Leonsis will eat it, if we can't fit an important piece in..

Old
01-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
He needs to play. He was getting better and scored a goal and then Bruce played him 7 minutes on the 4th line.

I have a feeling that he'll come in next year and be the player he really is.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:18 PM
KnoccOut

a captain that is a healthy scratch is a joke... he should give up the "C" to ovie

KnoccOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
He needs to play. He was getting better and scored a goal and then Bruce played him 7 minutes on the 4th line.

I have a feeling that he'll come in next year and be the player he really is.
I kind of think the same thing. He's shown me more since he came back from the time off for the arm, but he's still not there.

I think the playoffs will be his time....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

My opinion would be to keep Clark or Kozlov beyond this year, but not both. That, or deal Fehr, but all three don't fit cleanly.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Burgh32

Given that management has always stressed chemistry during this rebuild, I can't imagine that they would demote him to Hershey. I think he stays and I agree with whoever said that he'll be more valuable come playoff time.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 05:29 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
My opinion would be to keep Clark or Kozlov beyond this year, but not both. That, or deal Fehr, but all three don't fit cleanly.
As time continues decisions to part with roster players will come up. Clark over performed expectations and is now underperforming his contract. Kozlov had been at least as advertised.

I still think it will be hard for the Caps to keep more than two of Fehr, Bourque and Osala. They can't keep them all. Some good players and an occasional piece of the core will be trimmed.

Old
01-16-2009, 11:01 PM
artilector

If Nylander is somehow dealt:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov
Flash-Fedorov-Semin
Bourque/Laich-Laich/Steckel-Fehr
Brash-Steckel/Gordon-Bradley/Clark

6 guys (Bourque, Laich, Steckel, Gordon, Bradley, Clark) competing for 4 roster spots + 1 extra forward.

Osala can stay another year (or at least first half of the season) in the AHL, don't you think. Clark seems close to untradeable IMO, at least as long as he is captain. So to me, Bradley would logically be the guy pushed out -- of all these guys his skillset will be missed the least.

Another thing -- I think the Caps would be crazy to get rid of Kozlov before another young guy (Fehr? Osala? Bourque? Laich?) can show that he can steadily contribute in the top 6. Not just be a stop-gap temp, but contribute. Actually, I think I'd rather move Fedorov than Kozlov -- because as great as Feds he is, his clock will run out much sooner..

Old
01-17-2009, 03:26 AM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
cage death match Clark v Nylander. the loser dies and McPhee gets to off the winner.

both come off the books.

it's a win-win-win!

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria Clarkie?

A healthy scratch for two big games against Pittsburgh and now (according to Tarik, at least) tonight vs. Boston. Bruce is being very diplomatic about the whole thing but it's pretty significant to not dress your captain in such meaningful games. Maybe it's just superstition on Bruce's part leading to him not making a change but I'd think he'd want Clark in one of the two games.

Didn't Dallas take the captaincy away from Modano last season and give it to Morrow? Not saying they'd do it but it happens.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 05:24 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria Clarkie?

A healthy scratch for two big games against Pittsburgh and now (according to Tarik, at least) tonight vs. Boston. Bruce is being very diplomatic about the whole thing but it's pretty significant to not dress your captain in such meaningful games. Maybe it's just superstition on Bruce's part leading to him not making a change but I'd think he'd want Clark in one of the two games.

Didn't Dallas take the captaincy away from Modano last season and give it to Morrow? Not saying they'd do it but it happens.
Dallas did do that at it was a pretty ugly situation. Something the Capitals would want to avoid.

Old
01-18-2009, 09:38 AM
thinicer

Clark is having an off-year, for sure, but I have hope he will elevate his game during the playoffs. We're going to need him - his style of play is valuable in a grueling, tight-checking playoff series and he already has that playoff experience.

thinicer is offline   Reply With Quote