HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

What to do with Clark

Old
01-29-2009, 10:59 AM
gtowncapsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
To me, you simply don't trade your captain in the middle of a playoff run. After the season? You explore it if his performance doesn't improve, but trading him now could be disastrous.
I am not sure that I agree. I think a lot of what Clark did when he was selected as Captain was lead by example. He's missed about a year's worth of hockey over this season and last with the groin and arm injuries. And he was useless when he was playing with the injured arm. The Caps brought in Fedorov to help be the voice of reason and help calm the nerves in the playoffs, and Ovie and others have led by example to a much greater extent than Clark has of late. I don't think he's the big pep talk guy in the locker room either, but as others have said, I am not in the room, so I don't know exactly what is said or not. But I have heard him say that he's more of a "lead by example" kind of captain.

I suspect that Clark is as untradeable as Nylander is at the moment, but if he does get a hot streak, maybe that will change. He needs to be the irreplaceable clean-up guy who stands near the front of the net and knocks in the garbage goals. If he would do that for 15-20 games, then not only could we probably trade him, but we may not want to.

gtowncapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:03 PM
txpd

Clark is no more untradeable than was Matt Pettinger last season. As Tarik pointed out last week, Clark has a lot of support in the locker room. It seems that Clark is considered to be working through and injury, putting forth the effort that his teammates admire, and they want him as their Captain.

Its hard to make the point that he is failing as a captain, if in fact, the players want him as the captain.

My feeling is that Clark will get traded at the deadline, if he can't raise his game at least one step back toward his previous game. At that point McPhee will say he just can't wait anymore and move Clark to a team that can have more patience with him.

I look at trading Clark as a similar situation to trading for Huet and benching Kolzig. McPhee waited til the last minute and then did what he had to do.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:07 PM
rockthered08

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Clark is no more untradeable than was Matt Pettinger last season. As Tarik pointed out last week, Clark has a lot of support in the locker room. It seems that Clark is considered to be working through and injury, putting forth the effort that his teammates admire, and they want him as their Captain.

Its hard to make the point that he is failing as a captain, if in fact, the players want him as the captain.

My feeling is that Clark will get traded at the deadline, if he can't raise his game at least one step back toward his previous game. At that point McPhee will say he just can't wait anymore and move Clark to a team that can have more patience with him.

I look at trading Clark as a similar situation to trading for Huet and benching Kolzig. McPhee waited til the last minute and then did what he had to do.

Agree, which is what GM's are paid to do. I think some of these posts are placing way too much on the "captain" title. I honestly see nothing in Clark worth keeping, and would much rather see someone from the Bears get a chance in the lineup than Clark.

rockthered08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Clark is no more untradeable than was Matt Pettinger last season.
I think you are crazy if you think it is as easy to trade a guy who provides little or nothing on the ice and has a deal with a cap hit of $2.633 mil for 2 more seasons past this one as it would be to trade a similar guy with a cap hit of $1 mil for one more season past when he was dealt.

And that is assuming the players are similar, which I am sorry I don't think is the case as IMO Pettinger last year when dealt was a superior player to what Clark is right now, which tells you how useless I see Clark is these days.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:44 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Clark is no more untradeable than was Matt Pettinger last season.
That's patently untrue. Clark makes more than 2.5 times as much as Pettinger and he's signed for 2 years past the end of Pettinger's deal. Clark is 5 years older than Pettinger when he was traded. Pettinger's slump was also an enigma...there was reasonable hope that he would regain his form. Clark's decline is the result of a serious injury. Early indications are that his decline is permanent.

Clark is untradeable.

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 01-29-2009 at 12:55 PM.
BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:55 AM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
That's patently untrue. Clark makes more than 2.5 times as much as Pettinger and he's signed for 2 years past the end of Pettinger's deal. Clark is 5 years older than Pettinger when he was traded. Pettinger's slump was also an enigma...there was reasonable hope that he would regain his form. Clark's decline is the result of a serious injury. Early indications are that his decline is permanent.

Clark is untradeable.
According to Tarik's latest blog entry. Clark could be done for the season due to a wrist injury that may require surgery. As bad as this makes me feel to type this, but this could be a good thing. It also may explain him being a "healthy" scratch recently.

DaleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:38 PM
narddogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter View Post
According to Tarik's latest blog entry. Clark could be done for the season due to a wrist injury that may require surgery. As bad as this makes me feel to type this, but this could be a good thing. It also may explain him being a "healthy" scratch recently.
Should allow us to bring Alzner back up at least. As good as Erskine has played since coming back, Alzner is better. Maybe use him as a 7th and in games that are expected to be more physical? We'd still have Shultz out there wreckin guys

If he does miss the rest of this year, what does that mean for his future with the team? I don't think you can be the captain of a hockey team if you've only played with your teammates maybe 30 games in the last two seasons, and him being the captain is really the only thing keeping him on this team.

I'd hate to see young guys like Fehr or Bourque not get a crack at the line-up, unless someone more deserving is getting those minutes, and Clark has done next to nothing out there this season.

narddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:58 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Most likely, IMO, Alzner is an injury callup at this point. They keep the cap space for some move to maneuver as it gets towards the trade deadline.

02-02-2009, 10:06 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If he regains some form, he stays. If he would score 12 goals next season, he would be money with his grit and courage. Yea, I think there are a number of teams that would take a shot at him.

Someone took a flyer on Matt Pettinger who had far less on his resume.
IF he regains form yes, but not now, not before he plays again and shows he can play well.

Pettinger wasn't banged up for more than a season and didn't have 2 more years @ 2.6 mil did he?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:01 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Perhaps Fehr's recent play helped decide what to do with clark.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:04 PM
CapsChemist

I can see Clark heading to Tampa to join his ole buddies Pettinger, Halpern, and Ollie.

Was Clark here OV's rookie year? I can't remember.

CapsChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:21 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChemist View Post
I can see Clark heading to Tampa to join his ole buddies Pettinger, Halpern, and Ollie.

Was Clark here OV's rookie year? I can't remember.
Yes. 20 goals.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote