HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Roller skates Q

Old
01-24-2009, 09:09 PM
dirtydevs9

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
Roller skates Q

I got a pair of high quality skates for christmas, but they aren't "hockey" skates. I skate really well and feel comfortable on them, but I'm just wondering will it be detrimental to my game if I don't have hockey skates?

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Stefan It Up

What are you using the skates for? To play roller hockey outside or just for rollerblading?

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 06:55 PM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
I'm using them to play roller hockey indoors, im a pretty serious player and eventually I will invest in hockey skates, but these were an expensive christmas gift. ive already skated in them and they are high quality skates and i like them. im just wondering what will be the cons of not having hockey skates?

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 07:39 PM
nullterm

I play roller in non-hockey skates.

Mine have a softer boot so theoretically not as much protection, but hasn't been a problem in over a year of play. The wheels are also spread out wide than a hockey skate, so they don't turn quite as easy but they are more stable at speed.

The only issue you might have is if they have a brake on the back of the skate. Some leagues/rinks/groups won't allow you to play with them. But you should be able to remove it, depending on the skate.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Stefan It Up

Depending on the kind of surface you play on, the stock wheels might not grip very well at all.
Plus if it's a nice surface, the rink managers won't like you having a brake on the back.
You'll also be a lot less agile trying to pull tight turns in recreational inlines, not to mention the softer boot is a lot less responsive.

Play for a while in them if you'd like, but you'll soon realize the limitations.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote