HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trade Idea

Old
01-15-2009, 08:23 PM
mercury

vCash: 500
Teams vying for a Cup do not trade PPG forwards for 2nd/3rd line centers.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Chuck Downie
Goons R Us

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
Ever been to Ottawa? If your from the Philadelphia area, go outside of your house tomorrow and imagine what life would be like if it was this cold EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR. Maybe Briere enjoys staying indoors, snowmobiles, tv, board games, ice fishing, tv and books then I guess he'd be okay with the trade.
I would bet that Briere wouldn't mind playing in Ottawa, he's quite familiar with the area. Nonetheless, he's likely not going anywhere for a long time..

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, the Philadelphia Flyers finished last in teh league Things got worse when they lost the lottery and the chance at Patrick Kane The Flyers, now run by one Paul "Homer" Holmgrem knew that things needed to change. They were aggressive in fA, signing Kimmo Timmonen Scott Hartnell , and Daniel Briere

Daniel was a fine young fellow, born and raised in a great family, who would always throw him a big birthday party On Daniels 4th birthday his parents bought him a pair of ice skates which he used everyday for the next 3 years, except for those days he missed for pulled hamstrings, groins, and other ailments

Daniel had worked his way up, and had become a great player with Buffalo He hit the FA market as a big time scorer, both in the regular and post season Daniel got a call from the before mentioned "Homer" about playing for the Flyers Many people thought this was a joke as the Flyers were terrible. But it was not

Fast forward to the '08 playoffs. Daniel did not have a strong regular season but he came on in the playoffs, switching between center and Cannons wing Well then the offseason came

Daniel forgot to stretch during the offseason resulting in multiple injuries to the "groin" area once the season started Well, once this started so did one other thing........

STUPID TRADE PROPOSALS

People argued this was a "hockey forum" and that we should give them "feedback"

Well guess what...

WE WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS

When Danny got those ice skates on his 4th birthday, he knew that one day he would be in the NHL. But people like YOU try to take that dream away

Well guess what, Danny is going the same place as this thread

NOWHERE
This is the first time I cracked up reading an internet post I think. I'm voting this for the imaginary post of the month award. Yay you!

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:24 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I'm not gonna quote "mm6492" post but that was so ****ing funny hahahah good job!

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:34 PM
mm6492

damm, I just re-read my post and realized how good it was jkjk

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:43 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, the Philadelphia Flyers finished last in teh league Things got worse when they lost the lottery and the chance at Patrick Kane The Flyers, now run by one Paul "Homer" Holmgrem knew that things needed to change. They were aggressive in fA, signing Kimmo Timmonen Scott Hartnell , and Daniel Briere

Daniel was a fine young fellow, born and raised in a great family, who would always throw him a big birthday party On Daniels 4th birthday his parents bought him a pair of ice skates which he used everyday for the next 3 years, except for those days he missed for pulled hamstrings, groins, and other ailments

Daniel had worked his way up, and had become a great player with Buffalo He hit the FA market as a big time scorer, both in the regular and post season Daniel got a call from the before mentioned "Homer" about playing for the Flyers Many people thought this was a joke as the Flyers were terrible. But it was not

Fast forward to the '08 playoffs. Daniel did not have a strong regular season but he came on in the playoffs, switching between center and Cannons wing Well then the offseason came

Daniel forgot to stretch during the offseason resulting in multiple injuries to the "groin" area once the season started Well, once this started so did one other thing........

STUPID TRADE PROPOSALS

Well guess what...

When Danny got those ice skates on his 4th birthday, he knew that one day he would be in the NHL. But people like YOU try to take that dream away

NOWHERE
Hilarious, plain HILARIOUS.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:05 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
I like Fishers physicality he brings but he is over 4mil id rather have Vermette i think he can handle third line center just fine at the right price for a third line center and gives us what we need CAP SPACE.
Not to mention a faceoff ace.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:07 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
Ever been to Ottawa? If your from the Philadelphia area, go outside of your house tomorrow and imagine what life would be like if it was this cold EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR. Maybe Briere enjoys staying indoors, snowmobiles, tv, board games, ice fishing, tv and books then I guess he'd be okay with the trade.
I'm from the Ottawa area and that is probably the stupidest, most uninformed thing I've ever read about Ottawa. Maybe you're being sarcastic, but your attempt at sarcasm falls very, very, very short. Ottawa is a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful city and while there are some cold days during the winter, it's not cold every day of the year. Before you pipe up and make wise cracks about a city you know nothing about, maybe you might want to learn something first about the city before you spew your garbage......jackass

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Mike Richards 18

Dont tell anyone else you like Vermette.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 11:40 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
i have an idea... how about trade randy jones to a farmer for a sack of potatoes. hes awufl

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:52 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
My apologies MR18, perhaps i should follow your lead then....
Why are you being such a turd. You have told us multiple times how this is a hockey forum and it shouldn't be taking seriously, yet you keep pushing the matter. A matter which has been discused in every thread for the past 6 weeks. On top of that you seem to keep trolling your way through this thread. Dude just leave it. Briere isn't going anywhere. If he isn't a help to this team at all, why the hell do you want him

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:59 AM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Fisher is just as overpaid as Briere is

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 07:35 AM
Opus

I don't know what's more repatitve around here, the Briere/Jones trade threads, or this...

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 07:47 AM
kicksave27

not to mention ottawa has no cash

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Chuck Downie
Goons R Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
not to mention ottawa has no cash
They've got cash (Eugene Melnyk is very wealthy), but the problem is that Murray has been instructed to cut the payroll.

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 09:26 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Why are you being such a turd. You have told us multiple times how this is a hockey forum and it shouldn't be taking seriously, yet you keep pushing the matter. A matter which has been discused in every thread for the past 6 weeks. On top of that you seem to keep trolling your way through this thread. Dude just leave it. Briere isn't going anywhere. If he isn't a help to this team at all, why the hell do you want him

How am i trolling? I am simply trying to discuss the potential to trade a player that hasnt contributed to the success we have been having. Fisher is a player that i'd like to see in a Flyers Uniform, simple as that. I also put in my initial post to feel free to post other players that would be fair market value for a Mike Fisher. I also mentioned that if it was to be a briere to ottawa deal involving mike fisher there would need to be more coming this way.

You say that im trolling my way through the thread, the trolls are the ones that have nothing contrustive to say and are simply here just to stir the pot and say how "stupid" the idea is. Im simple defending my right to start a thread, and i'd appreciate it if some respect for that can actually be attained. You dont see me harping on "stupid" threads do you? I post when something interests me, i dont just show up to point out how "stupid" i feel something is.

Some posters mention this has been a hot topic the last while, well i havent been involved in those threads, nor have i seen them, i am not around this forum every day, all day. Instead of bashing the idea, you could have kindly posted the links to previous threads which ive missed discussing the topic, and i would have added my contribution there instead of here.

Simply put, im not here to stir crap up, and my intentions arent to bore nor beat any topic to death, i was unaware this topic had been discussed in detail elsewhere, simple as that, no need to flame an innocent mistake.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:12 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
How am i trolling? I am simply trying to discuss the potential to trade a player that hasnt contributed to the success we have been having. Fisher is a player that i'd like to see in a Flyers Uniform, simple as that. I also put in my initial post to feel free to post other players that would be fair market value for a Mike Fisher. I also mentioned that if it was to be a briere to ottawa deal involving mike fisher there would need to be more coming this way.

You say that im trolling my way through the thread, the trolls are the ones that have nothing contrustive to say and are simply here just to stir the pot and say how "stupid" the idea is. Im simple defending my right to start a thread, and i'd appreciate it if some respect for that can actually be attained. You dont see me harping on "stupid" threads do you? I post when something interests me, i dont just show up to point out how "stupid" i feel something is.

Some posters mention this has been a hot topic the last while, well i havent been involved in those threads, nor have i seen them, i am not around this forum every day, all day. Instead of bashing the idea, you could have kindly posted the links to previous threads which ive missed discussing the topic, and i would have added my contribution there instead of here.

Simply put, im not here to stir crap up, and my intentions arent to bore nor beat any topic to death, i was unaware this topic had been discussed in detail elsewhere, simple as that, no need to flame an innocent mistake.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=582857

One of the most recent ones. Its nine pages all on "Briere Haters VS Briere Keepers". Knock yourself out

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:31 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:55 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
I don't understand some posters inability to understand that Briere is not that much of an asset to this team, and that a hockey forum, in particular a trade idea, is just that, an idea, its a proposal, to gain feedback and to see if the players in question are marketable and the players that would potential be returned would help the club win a few more games.

Believe it or not, Danny Briere is an expendable player.
Did you watch the playoffs last year or the last couple of games where this team cant score a goal to save its life???

Danny Briere is not an expendable player.....Until this team become a consistent, strong even strength team that can go into a shutdown defensive system when it needs, and doesnt need to score 3 powerplay goals per game to win, THEN we can talk about Danny Briere being expendable.....

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:01 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Doesn't Fisher have a NTC, too?

I'd love to have him as a third line centre.
I would love that too

Quote:
Of course a player with a NTC would 9/10 times want to stay with the team etc, i agree with that. However my initial post was made in seriousness. Briere would help Ottawa and Fisher+ would help the flyers, is that not serious enough?

Yes the team would welcome him back with open arms, as would every other team in the league, however i see him as expendable. It isn;t that i dislike him, or see him as a waste, its that i believe we have an excess amount of finess, and a lack of quality grit that can also pot a few. We have tonnes of goal scoring (carter, Richards, Gagne, Lupul, Hartnell etc) and tonnes of Grit (Hartnell, cote, metropolit etc) However aside from Hartnell and in a regard Richards, i dont see a player hat can make a physical presence as well as a offensive presence.

As i said in the origional post, please feel free to change things etc. I would basically just like to see fisher on this team, and in order for that to happen, from a salary perspective Briere made the most sense for both sides.
IF Briere is ever moved, Fisher is the type of player I want back in return....but we also need much more....however, another issue with this team is that we also have a few wingers that are most likely ready to be in the NHL next year and room needs to be made for them. Which is why it makes more sense to move someone like Lupul, who while a talented sniper, is inconsistent as all hell....

Quote:

STUPID TRADE PROPOSALS

Well guess what...

NOWHERE
Very nice....other than the fact that you said he had a dissapointing regular season. I dont consider basically matching your career high in goal scoring, while playing for a new team, in a new style, with a moron of a coach who keeps giving you Mike Knuble on the RW and a rotating LW spot.....as a disappointing regular season

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:01 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Wow, no wonder the only people posting around here are those with thousands of posts! I guess there is no room for debate in this forum
There's plenty of room for debate. There just isn't a debate to be had here. Briere specifically negotiated for that NMC and 1.5 years into the deal there has been no reason for him to waive it. Is he expendable? Maybe. Is that contract hamstringing us? Probably. Can we do anything about it? Nope.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 09:43 PM
phlocky

Quote:
I don't understand some posters inability to understand that Briere is not that much of an asset to this team, and that a hockey forum, in particular a trade idea, is just that, an idea, its a proposal, to gain feedback and to see if the players in question are marketable and the players that would potential be returned would help the club win a few more games.

Believe it or not, Danny Briere is an expendable player.
I don't understand some posters refusal to accept reality and insistance to live in a fantasy world where Briere is leaving the team. Generally, with a few exceptions, this board is filled with knowledgeable fans who deal in reality. I'm certain you can find another board out there where there are others who embrace your fantasy trades and then sit around talking about how brilliant you guys are and how stupid the Flyers managment is for not doing it your way. Please get out of here if you are going to act all high and mighty like you have some great insight that the rest of us lack. We have discussed it to DEATH about how this team would be better off with Carter as the #1, Richards as the #2 and a legit #3 cheaper than Briere but the reality is that it is NOT going to happen. Simply because we choose NOT to get into this debate with you and tell you "Oh my, you are right, why didn't we come up with such a great idea" doesn't mean you're smart and we aren't. In fact I'd put the hockey knowledge of about 75% of the regulars on here up against yours and take their side almost every time. The simple truth is that this discuaaion is stupid and anyone who suggests such a trade is stupid. There is no gentle way to put it, this is just plain stupid. If you can't accept that reality then please leave here and go find a fantasy board where you live in your make-believe world.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 07:52 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Scott Hartnell
This is the best part.

Also, Mike Fisher sucks. I hate Briere trade threads more than the Penguins.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 07:55 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Any post that uses the words trade and Briere right next to each other should result in a 1 month auto ban from the Flyers forum.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:10 AM
phlocky

Quote:

This is no different than those retards last year who said that since we made the ECF last year without Gagne that we should trade him as he wasn't needed. And hey, while we are at it, the team still did well last year when Richards went down at about this time and Carter really stepped it up and carried the team. Since Carter can carry the team lets go ahead and trade Richards and his burdonsome 5.75 mil contract for the next 11 years. I mean who really want's to carry that slob when Carter showed last year that he alone can carry us PROVING we don't need Richards.

Face it, you're an idiot and a troll. Because YOU don't get it that we simply aren't going to trade Briere during the season this year DOES make you a troll when you keep pushing this issue and saying "he's not part of our sucess and therefore he's not necessary." I'll be the first to admit that Danny is a bit of a slacker in the regular season but once the playoffs start the man is money in the bank. If you have any doubt in this just go back and look at last year. If that's not enough for you then go back to his time in Buffalo where he carried the team to like 3 consecutive ECF's. In the playoffs Briere is rarely NOT the best player on the ice. It's usually much more successful for a team to have one or 2 players play below average during the regular season and then have those 2 guys play brilliantly in the playoffs (ala Briere and Umberger last year) then to have everyone play their average ability all season long AND in the playoffs. You NEED a couple of guys to really step their game up in the playoffs and to carry the team. Briere is one such player. I can see from the fact that you don't seem to get this that you never played sports of any kind at a higher level. I'd be surprised if you played anything more than rec league stuff even at the HS level.

It's DAMN well obvuois that you never COACHED at any decent level (Tee-ball doesn't count). If you had ever coached before (and been even half way decent at it) then you'd know that there are 3 basic types of players in big games, those who are scared sh*tless, those who play the same no matter what, and those who want the ball (or puck in this case). The first is a player who is more scared of making a mistake than making a play. The second simply views it as just another game, they have no heart, no passion for the game. The last is a player who lives and dies for the game, the player whom when the chips are down everyone on the team looks to them to win the game. This player just has "IT". There is no other way to discribe it than just having "IT". If you've ever known a player like this then you know what I'm talking about and if you haven't then you'll never get it. Briere just has "IT".

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote