HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Idea

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2009, 09:20 AM
  #51
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,477
vCash: 1000
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
2008 Playoffs.
Danny Briere: 9g 7a for 16 points in 17 games. 3 game winning goals.

2008-2009 Regular Season.
Danny Briere: 5g 4a for 9 points in 9 games.

Not contributing?

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:32 AM
  #52
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
2008 Playoffs.
Danny Briere: 9g 7a for 16 points in 17 games. 3 game winning goals.

2008-2009 Regular Season.
Danny Briere: 5g 4a for 9 points in 9 games.

Not contributing?
Well hell, Danny's been invisible for the other 32 games don't you know. It's almost like he's not even there or something.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:34 AM
  #53
Opus
Boondoggle
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,927
vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Well hell, Danny's been invisible for the other 32 games don't you know. It's almost like he's not even there or something.
You almost have to wonder if he's 'pulling a Gaborik' ya know.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 01:51 PM
  #54
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Now i know there has been alot of fan talk about trading Briere etc, however please hear me out, I think that this would eb good for both clubs.

Now the Ottawa Senators are in need of a second line center with a skill set to play with one of the big three so that they are more then a one line team. A player like Danny would do well there IMO.

Now in return i would like to see Mike Fisher and then some come this way.

Mike Fisher would look great in a Flyers uni i would think.

What else would need to come our way, and is this sort of deal feasable?


P.S. I like Briere's offensive upside, and i understand his importance to this team, however i believe his lack of defensive prowess damages our team, and we have preformed well with him out of the lineup.
** not taking into account briere's NMC

fisher & kuba for briere? fisher is an ideal third line center.

i think people may be underestimating how much we will benefit from briere's return...eventhough the team has done really well w/o him they struggle for long stretches to generate offense such as the last hand full of games.

briere's return will allow guys like upshall, giroux, and maybe even asham to play w/ and playmaking center no matter which line they are on which will hopefully end some of the droughts we hit...plus, i think he will eventually end up centering gagne which will help hide some of his defensive shortcomings...i'd rather move metro then pay him $1MM to play the 4th line.

by the way, you will learn very soon that there is no room for idle conversation on HF Boards...don't be fooled into thinking this is some ordinary hockey forum frequented by average schmoes...no , no, these are some of hockey's greatest minds on this board...they don't have time for conversation...you never know when the owner of an NHL team may be browsing through HF Boards looking for his next GM so they want to make sure they show how much hockey knowledge they have by ridiculing commoners...so, rather then simply ignoring threads they think are a waste of time they must spend their day posting how the thread was a waste of time.


lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 02:42 PM
  #55
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,494
vCash: 500
Phlocky, Your certainly building quite the case against me by using facts about your just deciding to make up.

As mentioned before, i havnt been around this board for long and wasnt aware of the other threads regarding this topic, so relax pal.

You question my hockey knowledge about player types etc simply because i mentioned something that has been discussed before.

Because i proposed this does not mean i dont think Briere can help the Flyers, it doesnt mean i dislike him. In all honesty i enjoy watching his offensive ability at work, and yes he can help this team. But like i said, i woldnt have started this had i know it had been beaten to death once or twice before.

I dont live in a fantasy land, i exhaust all idea's and options before simply throwing in the towel. It's like in business, if you dont exhaust all idea's before picking the one you like your likely not going to go very far.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 03:16 PM
  #56
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust
 
flyersjamminontheone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brandon, Friendly MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
keep fisher that bible thumper, the only way briere goes is with giroux for heatley.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 03:32 PM
  #57
Opus
Boondoggle
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,927
vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
keep fisher that bible thumper, the only way briere goes is with giroux for heatley.
Where do I sign?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 07:05 PM
  #58
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Phlocky, Your certainly building quite the case against me by using facts about your just deciding to make up.

As mentioned before, i havnt been around this board for long and wasnt aware of the other threads regarding this topic, so relax pal.

You question my hockey knowledge about player types etc simply because i mentioned something that has been discussed before.

Because i proposed this does not mean i dont think Briere can help the Flyers, it doesnt mean i dislike him. In all honesty i enjoy watching his offensive ability at work, and yes he can help this team. But like i said, i woldnt have started this had i know it had been beaten to death once or twice before.

I dont live in a fantasy land, i exhaust all idea's and options before simply throwing in the towel. It's like in business, if you dont exhaust all idea's before picking the one you like your likely not going to go very far.

This is EXTREMELY funny, you must really fail at business if you examine it anything like you did this Briere deal. Exhaust all possible ideas??? Like in Business??? Wow, I didn't know you could simply IGNORE key portions of a signed contract in business. I guess that's where I've always gone wrong. I think I'll use you ideas and go back to the bank and tell them "You know how you loaned me that $325k to build my house and I agreed to pay it all back (plus interest), well this guy on the intenet told me that I can ignore parts of contracts that I don't like so I'm choosing to NOT pay you back another cent." How do you think the bank would react???


Ok, I'm going to back off now. I'm going to give you a bit of advice here, let this dro, it's not a battle you can win. You will only end up making youself look like more of a fool. If you feel the need to redeem youself at my expense then go ahead and try but I'm warning you that I've been playing fairly nice for now and I don't want to make it any worse for you. I don't dislike you, hell I don't even know you. However, I did find it to be in bad taste when others told you it was stupid to even suggest trading a player with a NMC and you attacked them in defending something so stupid. If you had either just let it die or had accepted that it was dumb instead of steadfastly defending it you would have been razzed a little but then welcomed in with stories by many of us for making dumb suggestions too when we first came here. It's a small man who digs his feet in and can't admit he's wrong (hmm, sound like any other regular on here??). I hope the mods close this thread soon so it doesn't get any worse. Again, as I have told many other new posters here, listen more than you talk, you'll be the wiser for it. It's a foolish man who spends the time while another is talking thinking of what he's going to say next instead of truly hearing the other person.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 07:44 PM
  #59
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
I don't know what's more repatitve around here, the Briere/Jones trade threads, or this...


That's ****ing ridiculous.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 08:05 PM
  #60
Opus
Boondoggle
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,927
vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
That's ****ing ridiculous.
I couldn't agree more. Here's how I look at it though...

Badgers - Trade Jones
Mushrooms - Trade Briere
African Snake - Fire Stevens

It's the same thing, over and over again. You know what I mean?


(You all must think I'm a lunatic)

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 08:16 PM
  #61
Claude28Giroux
praiseG
 
Claude28Giroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lewiston, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,933
vCash: 500
Ha I'll keep the hobbit for his cannon-esque playoff performances.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:05 PM
  #62
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
I couldn't agree more. Here's how I look at it though...

Badgers - Trade Jones
Mushrooms - Trade Briere
African Snake - Fire Stevens

It's the same thing, over and over again. You know what I mean?


(You all must think I'm a lunatic)


Nice comparison.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 05:09 AM
  #63
Guy Incognito
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Sweden
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Obviously we're not going to trade Briere but Lupul on the other hand I could see being shipped out...so how about Lupul for Antoine Vermette? For next year...we save about a million in salary and get a third line center who's a great faceoff guy and PK'er. Ottawa get a some secondary scoring and possibly a player who could play with Heatley and Spezza. Line up next season would then be:

Gagne - Richards - Briere
JVR - Carter - Hartnell
Ushall - Vermette - Giroux
Kalinski - Metro - Asham

Coburn - Timonen
Parent - Carle
Vaananen - Sbisa

I believe that JVR is a great set up guy rather then scorer and could work with Carter and Hartnell creating a big man line. The Gagne - Richards - Briere have some chemistry. While the third line would be a speedy, gritty and skilled line that could play solid defense and contribute offensivly.

Just a thougt I had....

Jones is waived...

Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 06:51 AM
  #64
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!
 
Rscorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Santiago, Chile
Country: Chile
Posts: 2,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
I don't know what's more repatitve around here, the Briere/Jones trade threads, or this...


man..that 2:54 It felt like forever

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:15 AM
  #65
JagerPuck
Registered User
 
JagerPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the 215
Country: United States
Posts: 2,590
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
I don't know what's more repatitve around here, the Briere/Jones trade threads, or this...


MUSHROOM
MUSHROOM
SNAAAAAAAAAKE
I didnt even play the song, as soon as I saw the badgers that **** popped into my head.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 11:59 AM
  #66
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
This is EXTREMELY funny, you must really fail at business if you examine it anything like you did this Briere deal. Exhaust all possible ideas??? Like in Business??? Wow, I didn't know you could simply IGNORE key portions of a signed contract in business. I guess that's where I've always gone wrong. I think I'll use you ideas and go back to the bank and tell them "You know how you loaned me that $325k to build my house and I agreed to pay it all back (plus interest), well this guy on the intenet told me that I can ignore parts of contracts that I don't like so I'm choosing to NOT pay you back another cent." How do you think the bank would react???


Ok, I'm going to back off now. I'm going to give you a bit of advice here, let this dro, it's not a battle you can win. You will only end up making youself look like more of a fool. If you feel the need to redeem youself at my expense then go ahead and try but I'm warning you that I've been playing fairly nice for now and I don't want to make it any worse for you. I don't dislike you, hell I don't even know you. However, I did find it to be in bad taste when others told you it was stupid to even suggest trading a player with a NMC and you attacked them in defending something so stupid. If you had either just let it die or had accepted that it was dumb instead of steadfastly defending it you would have been razzed a little but then welcomed in with stories by many of us for making dumb suggestions too when we first came here. It's a small man who digs his feet in and can't admit he's wrong (hmm, sound like any other regular on here??). I hope the mods close this thread soon so it doesn't get any worse. Again, as I have told many other new posters here, listen more than you talk, you'll be the wiser for it. It's a foolish man who spends the time while another is talking thinking of what he's going to say next instead of truly hearing the other person.
You speak as if a player with a NMC hasnt waived before, hench the all possible options idea i spoke of? are you reading my entire post or stopping half way through to post something stupid like this? Clearly your one f those people that gets an idea in your head and doesnt listen to what is proposed about that. You tell me to listen to what others say but you keep coming back at me with the same argument despite my posts indicating my intentions. sounds like you should have a taste of your own medicine.

Also, im not defending the proposal, (as i have mentioned in previous threads, obviously indicating you havnt read all of what im saying) i have admitted that i was unaware it had been discussed earlier, and i have acknowledged that it is 9/10 times unlikly for a player to waive, what else do i need to say in order for you to realize i have infact given up the idea of that proposed trade? I'm not letting it die because i dont just sit here and let people talk out their ***** about me, and suggest things to me when clearly they arent listening to what i have to say, and what i have said in response.

Sure my proposal was fantasy, okay i can live with that, my bad, didnt mean to cause a disturbance, but clearly your meaningless and biased attacks are getting kind of lame.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:13 PM
  #67
Raffl House
Registered User
 
Raffl House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,849
vCash: 500
You two girls done? I think this has been flamed-up enough.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:15 PM
  #68
Richyrich
Registered User
 
Richyrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
Some things people forget...

Briere lead the team in goals last year
Briere is an incredible playoff performer
Briere was one of the main reasons the pp was so successful last year
Briere was one of the NHL point leaders in the playoffs last year

All of this was accomplished while having a year many considered to be a "bad year" for Briere...

I don't understand why everyone wants to get rid of him so badly

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:16 PM
  #69
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromemaro View Post
its funny how everyone hates on briere and his contract but they are willing to trade for him
I don't think Briere's contract itself is that bad...I just think it's bad for us with Richards and Carter already on the team.

6.5M for a guy that can get 75+ points in a full season? Been the going rate (though, I would wager we're going to see a significant drop in contracts this coming offseason).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:18 PM
  #70
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
Some things people forget...

Briere lead the team in goals last year
Briere is an incredible playoff performer
Briere was one of the main reasons the pp was so successful last year
Briere was one of the NHL point leaders in the playoffs last year

All of this was accomplished while having a year many considered to be a "bad year" for Briere...

I don't understand why everyone wants to get rid of him so badly
Last year, Jeff Carter and Mike Richards were not making 5+M.

Last year, Jeff Carter wasn't leading the league in goals.

Last year, we needed Briere on our PP...this year, we don't.

Last year...was last year. Things change.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:19 PM
  #71
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
2008 Playoffs.
Danny Briere: 9g 7a for 16 points in 17 games. 3 game winning goals.

2008-2009 Regular Season.
Danny Briere: 5g 4a for 9 points in 9 games.

Not contributing?
Problem with Briere is that he contributes offensively...for both teams.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:24 PM
  #72
Richyrich
Registered User
 
Richyrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Last year, Jeff Carter and Mike Richards were not making 5+M.

Last year, Jeff Carter wasn't leading the league in goals.

Last year, we needed Briere on our PP...this year, we don't.

Last year...was last year. Things change.
Indeed things change but to think he will no longer contribute offensively is insane.

In fact, with the emergence of Carter and Richards he would help even more. Now defenses will have to focus on 3 lines rather than 1.

With Briere no longer being the focal point of the opposing team's top defenders his production numbers (pts/ice time) should increase

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:28 PM
  #73
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
Indeed things change but to think he will no longer contribute offensively is insane.

In fact, with the emergence of Carter and Richards he would help even more. Now defenses will have to focus on 3 lines rather than 1.

With Briere no longer being the focal point of the opposing team's top defenders his production numbers (pts/ice time) should increase
Briere was never the focal point of the opposing teams top defenders...teams were trying to get their best offensive lines out against his line because he was getting lit up like a christmas tree.

Briere can certainly contribute offensively, but the other teams have turned him into a liability on the ice because they score more against us than we score against them.

I think those acting like the "Briere haters" are on drugs seriously underestimate the cap catastrophe that is looming with this team right now.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:36 PM
  #74
Richyrich
Registered User
 
Richyrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Briere was never the focal point of the opposing teams top defenders...teams were trying to get their best offensive lines out against his line because he was getting lit up like a christmas tree.

Briere can certainly contribute offensively, but the other teams have turned him into a liability on the ice because they score more against us than we score against them.

I think those acting like the "Briere haters" are on drugs seriously underestimate the cap catastrophe that is looming with this team right now.
There are other, more expendable pieces right now...

I'm not saying there isn't a reason to trade Briere but...

1. Who would/could take him (his nmc would only be waived if he were going to a contender)
2. Why get rid of him as a cap casualty when there is still Lupul, Knuble and Jones making pretty big numbers?

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:43 PM
  #75
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
There are other, more expendable pieces right now...

I'm not saying there isn't a reason to trade Briere but...

1. Who would/could take him (his nmc would only be waived if he were going to a contender)
2. Why get rid of him as a cap casualty when there is still Lupul, Knuble and Jones making pretty big numbers?
I don't think he's going anywhere...but I am convinced we can be a better team without Briere at this point. With the emergence of Richards and Carter, I'd much rather put a big body on the third line who will go out there, win faceoffs, play solid defense, and chip in offensively.

So, that's a starting point. I don't think Briere should see anything above the 3rd line at center for the rest of his tenure in Philly...and I don't really want to pay a 3rd line center 6.5M.

You're also assuming that we can't move all of those players...and, we'll probably have to. When JVR gets here he's going to be making 3M right off the bat. Them the facts...so even if you move some of these guys, it isn't like you're going to be replacing them with all cheap contracts. Eventually we're likely going to need to spend a bit more on goaltending/defense to boot.

All of this is with the looming factor that is the current economy. The salary cap may shrink following next season...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.