HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Link Gaetz : The Missing Link

Old
01-15-2009, 06:21 PM
bottleCAPS

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Link Gaetz : The Missing Link

hey all, i'm sure there are some long time Sharks fans that will enjoy this story chronicling the career of grinder Link Gaetz. It's basically a behind the scenes look at the downward spiral that his career took after his days in San Jose.

here are some notables:

On the day of the 1988 NHL Entry Draft, in which Gaetz was drafted in the 2nd round with the 40th pick overall by the Dallas Stars, legend has it that he entered the Montreal Forum in Montreal, Quebec sporting two black eyes and carrying a case of beer under each arm. On the most important day of his career, Gaetz felt two cases of beer to be the best pre-draft preparation; what a role model.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link used to get the team's mail, and when the club's rookies would get mail, he would open their letters, read them and if there was any money in them, would pocket his findings. He burned his final bridge in Nashville when on his way to a team party he wasn't invited to, the car in front of him was driving slowly to prevent Link from entering; instinctively, Gaetz floored it, smashing the car in front of him and pushing it into the party.

Link then exited his vehicle, beat the driver unconscious and calmly walked into the party, leaving the scene of the accident he had just caused. When the unlucky driver came to, he called local police and Link was sent to jail.

From jail, Link phoned then coach Nick Fotiu to bail him out; angered by the incident, Fotiu told Gaetz to spend the night in jail. So the next morning when Link was released, he went to the team's practice facility, walked up and sucker-punched his coach in the face. Surprisingly, the team and league suspended Link for the remainder of the season.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next worthwhile Link sighting came in 1995 when he signed with the Mexico City Toreros of the North American League. In the first game of the season, Gaetz instigated a line brawl - 5 on 5 - late in the game. Playing at a trim 250 pounds, Link was having his way with the opposing team until two other opposing players came in and cheap-shot Gaetz. The worst came from the opposing goalie, who speared Link with his stick, slicing him for 17 stitches across his forehead.

The next day, local news organizations asked a freshly stitched Gaetz for predictions for the next evening's game.

"I'm going to kick some ass," was his reply.

When the game began, Gaetz fought his first shift on the ice. Though he won handily, Link was ejected from the contest for hair pulling - his night is now over, right? Wrong. Gaetz left the arena, and despite being forbidden from drinking by the team, went to a bar and got blackout drunk.

Later that evening, Link and his crew headed to a 24-hour Denny's. In a fit of drunken lunacy, Link began to dance with the waitresses, prompting one to cry, and then headed into the restaurant kitchen, put on a chef's hat and started flipping burgers. Long story short, the police were called, Gaetz was thrown in jail, and because he is deemed "uncontrollable" by Mexico City, was released by the team and suspended by the league.

Full article here: http://media.www.dakotastudent.com/m...-2263599.shtml

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Emperor Joe Thornton

Ah, Link. His comical ludicracy amazes me.

Emperor Joe Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Jurgy25

Send a message via AIM to Jurgy25
What a bad ass!

Jurgy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Man, if he only could've been just a tad smarter, he would've gone down in history as one of the best enforcers of all time.

Pure Rock Fury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:37 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Link used to get the team's mail, and when the club's rookies would get mail, he would open their letters, read them and if there was any money in them, would pocket his findings. He burned his final bridge in Nashville when on his way to a team party he wasn't invited to, the car in front of him was driving slowly to prevent Link from entering; instinctively, Gaetz floored it, smashing the car in front of him and pushing it into the party.

Link then exited his vehicle, beat the driver unconscious and calmly walked into the party, leaving the scene of the accident he had just caused. When the unlucky driver came to, he called local police and Link was sent to jail.

From jail, Link phoned then coach Nick Fotiu to bail him out; angered by the incident, Fotiu told Gaetz to spend the night in jail. So the next morning when Link was released, he went to the team's practice facility, walked up and sucker-punched his coach in the face. Surprisingly, the team and league suspended Link for the remainder of the season.
He was just trying to get his party on

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Lee Van Cleef*

And to think he scored two goals in one game in the NHL.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:33 PM
coooldude

I was at the game where he scored the ridiculous off-the-plexiglass goal... that might have been his 2 goal game because god knows he wasn't scoring much. I have his picture posted on my cubicle at work to scare me into productivity.

Also, this article omits my favorite link gaetz story - his roommate comes home, finds his room trashed, his TV stolen, and a puddle of urine in his bed. His assessment: "The mark of link."

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Quote:
Originally Posted by coooldude View Post
I was at the game where he scored the ridiculous off-the-plexiglass goal... that might have been his 2 goal game because god knows he wasn't scoring much. I have his picture posted on my cubicle at work to scare me into productivity.
That would be it I think. I believe that's the same game that we tied the vaunted Canadiens for the first time.

Pure Rock Fury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:48 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

IIRC, he's still a goon in that league in quebec, the LNAH or whatever I've only read it on hockeydb I have no idea what it is.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:53 PM
AvengerK

Send a message via AIM to AvengerK
Link is the ultimate party buddy. You're never going to get arrested, because the worst thing you could possibly do is going to be one-upped by Link.

AvengerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:30 AM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

I love these great hockey player stories - I never hear about this from other sports - it's one of things that make hockey great.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:39 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengerK View Post
Link is the ultimate party buddy. You're never going to get arrested, because the worst thing you could possibly do is going to be one-upped by Link.
or he will just do something even crazier while your being arrested and the cop will let you go. Like when your rights are being read, he jumps in the cop car and takes off

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:09 AM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Wow, I had no idea this stuff was true. At first I thought it was a joke, like that one hockey wiki site that has JT as "Jesus" from October to March.. or whatever.

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 06:22 PM
HJimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanceOfMaternity View Post
IIRC, he's still a goon in that league in quebec, the LNAH or whatever I've only read it on hockeydb I have no idea what it is.
He hasn't played in the League of North American Hockey for years. Link was definately unstable and retired at a hefty 280 lbs.

HJimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 07:46 AM
SML

I would love to jump in my hockeyfight timemachine and watch Scott Parker fight Link. It would be like two bikers fighting over Meth turf.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 04:14 PM
nsn*

Lookin' good, Link.

nsn* is offline   Reply With Quote