HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Avery Wants Back to the Rangers

Old
01-16-2009, 11:31 AM
chip chipperson*

vCash: 500
i still dont understand why anyone wouldn't want him back on the team. some people call him a locker room cancer. but when it comes down to the way our star players are performing, i dont care if they dont like avery and i would be totally willing to deal with locker room tension. the guy would bring things to the team that no body else can bring. think back to the games against washington and new jersey. he would have been huge in those games.

there is a different kind of energy that you get from a team when everybody isn't best friends.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:40 AM
045NYR

hey maybe him being a cancer could be a good thing. some of our big contracts like Gomez, Drury, Redden, or Rozie will ask to be moved. might actually help clear some cap space haha.

045NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
i still dont understand why anyone wouldn't want him back on the team.
Primarily because "what's wrong" with the Rangers isn't anything that Avery can address. I've got a lot of other ones, but that's really the only one that matters.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:57 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Primarily because "what's wrong" with the Rangers isn't anything that Avery can address. I've got a lot of other ones, but that's really the only one that matters.
While i wouldn't necessarily want him back specifically, he DOES address a need... more grit, an agitator.

However, i'd rather that come from someone like Tuomo Ruutu, if he could be had for a decent price.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:58 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
if your talking about goal scoring, no he cant help.

but if your talking about toughness, energy, passion and some sort of edge to our game, i disagree with you.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:59 AM
nyrangers23

Quote:

really, scoring big goals isnt one of our problems. bring some nastyness to our game isnt a problem(we are soft) and keeping opposing players on there toes and worried about getting hit hard into the bpards isnt a prob. dont get me wrong cally lays hits but avery is a player that plays with a edge and he has talent and you cant deny that. he can score hit, fight, play in thecorners. kinda what voros is supposed to do but he is too slow and not a good puck handler. if you dont want avery back cuz u dislike him thats fine but dont say he wont help fix some problems cuz that is false

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRINGBACKAVERY View Post
I know its just internet rumors. But I trust the actual fans on the internet, who live and breath for hockey over the "media".

If its true I bet Sather and Renney are peeing in their pants. Either they turn down getting one of the few people avaialble to them to jumpstart this sinking ship or they have to admit that they were MORONS for not resigning him in July. No to less than $4m a year for a guy with a pair of balls who wants to win but yes to nearly $7m for Wade Redden? we could have given Avery $4m and then gotten a decent defenseman who doesn't suck crap for the dif.
I wouldn't hold your breath.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
While i wouldn't necessarily want him back specifically, he DOES address a need... more grit, an agitator.

However, i'd rather that come from someone like Tuomo Ruutu, if he could be had for a decent price.
Quote:

but if your talking about toughness, energy, passion and some sort of edge to our game, i disagree with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers23 View Post
really, scoring big goals isnt one of our problems. bring some nastyness to our game isnt a problem(we are soft) and keeping opposing players on there toes and worried about getting hit hard into the bpards isnt a prob. dont get me wrong cally lays hits but avery is a player that plays with a edge and he has talent and you cant deny that. he can score hit, fight, play in thecorners. kinda what voros is supposed to do but he is too slow and not a good puck handler. if you dont want avery back cuz u dislike him thats fine but dont say he wont help fix some problems cuz that is false
I only disagree with you guys because your 2009 NYR just aren't built for that kind of game, and adding one Sean Avery doesn't make them a tough team to play against.

You figure out the PP OR get someone on the roster to generate offense more consistently and this perceived lack of toughness/passion/emotion is a non-issue, because the team will be too busy winning games to care about sending messages and screwing with opponents heads.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRINGBACKAVERY View Post
I'd take Guerin. He's a proven winner, would be a great veteran presence. Plus we could get him cheap. Maybe offer the Islanders a couple of moving vans or some nice titanium crutches for DiPietro.

I'm not sure that Guerin could by himself get this team going. He can still score goals, but we need a guy who can get the entire team going.
Since when? The guy is one of the worst playoff performers of all time. He's HORRIBLE when it comes to the playoffs. I wouldn't want him on my team after March.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

If Avery produced the way he has for us in the past, then he'd be a boost offensively as well. When Prucha inevitably disappears for a month, Avery can step in, and at worst he's an offensive upgrade over Sjostrom.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

i am not advocating Avery but he will give you decent offense....Ruutu is just a pxxck

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Since when? The guy is one of the worst playoff performers of all time. He's HORRIBLE when it comes to the playoffs. I wouldn't want him on my team after March.
Also, why would the Islanders ever help the Rangers (and vice versa)?

The only thing to back-up the "proven winner" comment is the fact his name is on Stanley Cup.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:29 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post

The only thing to back-up the "proven winner" comment is the fact his name is on Stanley Cup.
I wouldn't mind helping the Isles if the deal helped us an equal amount. You make a valid point though in that I'm in the minority and such moves never happen.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:36 PM
MadHookUp

I am not sure how much better the team would be with Avery. But I can say that this team is doomed to mediocrity for the next several years due to Redden, Drury, and Gomez. Since this team cannot go up with them on the roster, at least make the team enjoyable to watch and get Avery. We will still be average, but at least slightly less boring to watch.

As for the rumor. I dont believe it.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:51 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Disease stimulates a response from the immune system and while he's a cancer in the locker room, he's a defibrillator on the ice. Actually he's like a cancer on the ice as well, for the opposition.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post

I'm sure the Islanders wouldn't look at it as "helping" the Rangers, but rather unloading a player that no longer fits. Players move among the Rangers, devs & islanders pretty regularly. Especially guys that haven't got any real history with the team. It wouldn't be like trying to trade for Bossy.

And I don't think he would magically transform the Rangers into a Cup contender, I just think that he is a better and more logical move than Avery, which is what this thread is about I think.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Bury Your Head

That article looks like it was typed up by a 12 year old. The wording is just terrible. Spelling is completely off, and some of his/her "facts" aren't "facts" at all. Looks like a nice heaping pile of fluff.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

That's a STEAMING pile of fluff, er or something......

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

The Rangers are WAY too easy to play against. Id rather have Chris Neil, but if we could get Avery for the league minimum, I would be THRILLED.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:42 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I heard in an interview with Gomez I think (can't exactly remember which player) that it was a total coincidence that they happened to end up at the same party/ soiree as Avery.

That's the same "proof" as Sundin joining the Rangers, just because he was watching Rangers play in the Garden because of a poker event.
One thing I've learned is that the MSG announcers are as much about marketing the team as they are about calling it. With the way they were talking about Sundin being a Ranger, you'd have to think they were very close.

Dallas will end Avery's contract one way or another. Once that happens, he's going to want to get back into the league and why wouldn't he try to play for a team where he was successful. If I were slats, I'd sign him to a 3 year, 3 million contract. Let him onto the team and redeem himself as a player in this league, which he's going to want and need to do. Once he has, after a season or so, trade him because he'll have value and on a cheap contract will be a steal!!! Heck Rangers can afford the 3 millioin gamble. If he doesn't work out and is a problem, waive him. You're not losing any more than you are having guys like Voros, Prucha, or Fritsche ride the pine or having a guy like Rissmiller in the minors.

vipernsx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:08 PM
satrabyk

avery is amazing impact player, end of stroy. The Leafs are stupid for not giving him a shot. New York could get him, but i just dont know if he would fit in anymore. I liked when he was here two years ago, than he was the perfect fit.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:26 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
avery is amazing impact player, end of stroy. The Leafs are stupid for not giving him a shot. New York could get him, but i just dont know if he would fit in anymore. I liked when he was here two years ago, than he was the perfect fit.
Hes also an amazing *******.

Old
01-16-2009, 03:29 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

I'm a huge Avery supporter. I love everything he did with the Rangers while he was here. Would I welcome him back at league minimum in a heartbeat? Sure. But it's all politics and I don't think it's going to happen. Especially since players like Dubinsky (who I'm sure the organization totes as one of their top tier young players) and Valiquette have already spoken out against him I just don't see it happening.

But this team could sure use a player like him.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:37 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

One question...if he said that stuff while he was in a Rangers Uni...do you think Sather would even allow him to be suspended....I don't think so...

The fact that the entire Stars dressing room rallyed against him says something about that team. They should have laughed it off and let it go.

Quite unprofessional to shun a teammate cause of a sloppy seconds comment.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:42 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLikesHockey View Post
One question...if he said that stuff while he was in a Rangers Uni...do you think Sather would even allow him to be suspended....I don't think so...

The fact that the entire Stars dressing room rallyed against him says something about that team. They should have laughed it off and let it go.

Quite unprofessional to shun a teammate cause of a sloppy seconds comment.
Or says something about how he integrated into the team. Im sure if they loved him they wouldnt have ousted him so quickly... Thats all his fault as far as im concerned.