HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Avery Wants Back to the Rangers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2009, 11:31 AM
  #76
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
i still dont understand why anyone wouldn't want him back on the team. some people call him a locker room cancer. but when it comes down to the way our star players are performing, i dont care if they dont like avery and i would be totally willing to deal with locker room tension. the guy would bring things to the team that no body else can bring. think back to the games against washington and new jersey. he would have been huge in those games.

there is a different kind of energy that you get from a team when everybody isn't best friends.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:40 AM
  #77
045NYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 541
vCash: 500
hey maybe him being a cancer could be a good thing. some of our big contracts like Gomez, Drury, Redden, or Rozie will ask to be moved. might actually help clear some cap space haha.

045NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:52 AM
  #78
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
i still dont understand why anyone wouldn't want him back on the team.
Primarily because "what's wrong" with the Rangers isn't anything that Avery can address. I've got a lot of other ones, but that's really the only one that matters.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:57 AM
  #79
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Primarily because "what's wrong" with the Rangers isn't anything that Avery can address. I've got a lot of other ones, but that's really the only one that matters.
While i wouldn't necessarily want him back specifically, he DOES address a need... more grit, an agitator.

However, i'd rather that come from someone like Tuomo Ruutu, if he could be had for a decent price.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:58 AM
  #80
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Primarily because "what's wrong" with the Rangers isn't anything that Avery can address. I've got a lot of other ones, but that's really the only one that matters.
if your talking about goal scoring, no he cant help.

but if your talking about toughness, energy, passion and some sort of edge to our game, i disagree with you.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:59 AM
  #81
nyrangers23
Registered User
 
nyrangers23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: bwood
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Primarily because "what's wrong" with the Rangers isn't anything that Avery can address. I've got a lot of other ones, but that's really the only one that matters.

really, scoring big goals isnt one of our problems. bring some nastyness to our game isnt a problem(we are soft) and keeping opposing players on there toes and worried about getting hit hard into the bpards isnt a prob. dont get me wrong cally lays hits but avery is a player that plays with a edge and he has talent and you cant deny that. he can score hit, fight, play in thecorners. kinda what voros is supposed to do but he is too slow and not a good puck handler. if you dont want avery back cuz u dislike him thats fine but dont say he wont help fix some problems cuz that is false

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
  #82
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRINGBACKAVERY View Post
I know its just internet rumors. But I trust the actual fans on the internet, who live and breath for hockey over the "media".

If its true I bet Sather and Renney are peeing in their pants. Either they turn down getting one of the few people avaialble to them to jumpstart this sinking ship or they have to admit that they were MORONS for not resigning him in July. No to less than $4m a year for a guy with a pair of balls who wants to win but yes to nearly $7m for Wade Redden? we could have given Avery $4m and then gotten a decent defenseman who doesn't suck crap for the dif.
I wouldn't hold your breath.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:09 PM
  #83
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
While i wouldn't necessarily want him back specifically, he DOES address a need... more grit, an agitator.

However, i'd rather that come from someone like Tuomo Ruutu, if he could be had for a decent price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
if your talking about goal scoring, no he cant help.

but if your talking about toughness, energy, passion and some sort of edge to our game, i disagree with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers23 View Post
really, scoring big goals isnt one of our problems. bring some nastyness to our game isnt a problem(we are soft) and keeping opposing players on there toes and worried about getting hit hard into the bpards isnt a prob. dont get me wrong cally lays hits but avery is a player that plays with a edge and he has talent and you cant deny that. he can score hit, fight, play in thecorners. kinda what voros is supposed to do but he is too slow and not a good puck handler. if you dont want avery back cuz u dislike him thats fine but dont say he wont help fix some problems cuz that is false
I only disagree with you guys because your 2009 NYR just aren't built for that kind of game, and adding one Sean Avery doesn't make them a tough team to play against.

You figure out the PP OR get someone on the roster to generate offense more consistently and this perceived lack of toughness/passion/emotion is a non-issue, because the team will be too busy winning games to care about sending messages and screwing with opponents heads.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:10 PM
  #84
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,040
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRINGBACKAVERY View Post
I'd take Guerin. He's a proven winner, would be a great veteran presence. Plus we could get him cheap. Maybe offer the Islanders a couple of moving vans or some nice titanium crutches for DiPietro.

I'm not sure that Guerin could by himself get this team going. He can still score goals, but we need a guy who can get the entire team going.
Since when? The guy is one of the worst playoff performers of all time. He's HORRIBLE when it comes to the playoffs. I wouldn't want him on my team after March.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:13 PM
  #85
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,733
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
if your talking about goal scoring, no he cant help.

but if your talking about toughness, energy, passion and some sort of edge to our game, i disagree with you.
If Avery produced the way he has for us in the past, then he'd be a boost offensively as well. When Prucha inevitably disappears for a month, Avery can step in, and at worst he's an offensive upgrade over Sjostrom.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:13 PM
  #86
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie
 
Sad London Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: london england
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
While i wouldn't necessarily want him back specifically, he DOES address a need... more grit, an agitator.

However, i'd rather that come from someone like Tuomo Ruutu, if he could be had for a decent price.

i am not advocating Avery but he will give you decent offense....Ruutu is just a pxxck

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:14 PM
  #87
Isles4ever11
Registered User
 
Isles4ever11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Ghana
Posts: 10,952
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Since when? The guy is one of the worst playoff performers of all time. He's HORRIBLE when it comes to the playoffs. I wouldn't want him on my team after March.
Also, why would the Islanders ever help the Rangers (and vice versa)?

The only thing to back-up the "proven winner" comment is the fact his name is on Stanley Cup.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:29 PM
  #88
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,733
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Also, why would the Islanders ever help the Rangers (and vice versa)?

The only thing to back-up the "proven winner" comment is the fact his name is on Stanley Cup.
I wouldn't mind helping the Isles if the deal helped us an equal amount. You make a valid point though in that I'm in the minority and such moves never happen.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:36 PM
  #89
MadHookUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
I am not sure how much better the team would be with Avery. But I can say that this team is doomed to mediocrity for the next several years due to Redden, Drury, and Gomez. Since this team cannot go up with them on the roster, at least make the team enjoyable to watch and get Avery. We will still be average, but at least slightly less boring to watch.

As for the rumor. I dont believe it.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:51 PM
  #90
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
Disease stimulates a response from the immune system and while he's a cancer in the locker room, he's a defibrillator on the ice. Actually he's like a cancer on the ice as well, for the opposition.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:54 PM
  #91
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Also, why would the Islanders ever help the Rangers (and vice versa)?

The only thing to back-up the "proven winner" comment is the fact his name is on Stanley Cup.
I'm sure the Islanders wouldn't look at it as "helping" the Rangers, but rather unloading a player that no longer fits. Players move among the Rangers, devs & islanders pretty regularly. Especially guys that haven't got any real history with the team. It wouldn't be like trying to trade for Bossy.

And I don't think he would magically transform the Rangers into a Cup contender, I just think that he is a better and more logical move than Avery, which is what this thread is about I think.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:02 PM
  #92
Bury Your Head
 
Bury Your Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,861
vCash: 500
That article looks like it was typed up by a 12 year old. The wording is just terrible. Spelling is completely off, and some of his/her "facts" aren't "facts" at all. Looks like a nice heaping pile of fluff.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:08 PM
  #93
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
That's a STEAMING pile of fluff, er or something......

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:47 PM
  #94
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,800
vCash: 500
The Rangers are WAY too easy to play against. Id rather have Chris Neil, but if we could get Avery for the league minimum, I would be THRILLED.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:42 PM
  #95
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,341
vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I heard in an interview with Gomez I think (can't exactly remember which player) that it was a total coincidence that they happened to end up at the same party/ soiree as Avery.

That's the same "proof" as Sundin joining the Rangers, just because he was watching Rangers play in the Garden because of a poker event.
One thing I've learned is that the MSG announcers are as much about marketing the team as they are about calling it. With the way they were talking about Sundin being a Ranger, you'd have to think they were very close.

Dallas will end Avery's contract one way or another. Once that happens, he's going to want to get back into the league and why wouldn't he try to play for a team where he was successful. If I were slats, I'd sign him to a 3 year, 3 million contract. Let him onto the team and redeem himself as a player in this league, which he's going to want and need to do. Once he has, after a season or so, trade him because he'll have value and on a cheap contract will be a steal!!! Heck Rangers can afford the 3 millioin gamble. If he doesn't work out and is a problem, waive him. You're not losing any more than you are having guys like Voros, Prucha, or Fritsche ride the pine or having a guy like Rissmiller in the minors.

vipernsx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:08 PM
  #96
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
avery is amazing impact player, end of stroy. The Leafs are stupid for not giving him a shot. New York could get him, but i just dont know if he would fit in anymore. I liked when he was here two years ago, than he was the perfect fit.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:26 PM
  #97
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
avery is amazing impact player, end of stroy. The Leafs are stupid for not giving him a shot. New York could get him, but i just dont know if he would fit in anymore. I liked when he was here two years ago, than he was the perfect fit.
Hes also an amazing *******.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:29 PM
  #98
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,319
vCash: 500
I'm a huge Avery supporter. I love everything he did with the Rangers while he was here. Would I welcome him back at league minimum in a heartbeat? Sure. But it's all politics and I don't think it's going to happen. Especially since players like Dubinsky (who I'm sure the organization totes as one of their top tier young players) and Valiquette have already spoken out against him I just don't see it happening.

But this team could sure use a player like him.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:37 PM
  #99
MikeyLikesHockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
One question...if he said that stuff while he was in a Rangers Uni...do you think Sather would even allow him to be suspended....I don't think so...

The fact that the entire Stars dressing room rallyed against him says something about that team. They should have laughed it off and let it go.

Quite unprofessional to shun a teammate cause of a sloppy seconds comment.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:42 PM
  #100
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLikesHockey View Post
One question...if he said that stuff while he was in a Rangers Uni...do you think Sather would even allow him to be suspended....I don't think so...

The fact that the entire Stars dressing room rallyed against him says something about that team. They should have laughed it off and let it go.

Quite unprofessional to shun a teammate cause of a sloppy seconds comment.
Or says something about how he integrated into the team. Im sure if they loved him they wouldnt have ousted him so quickly... Thats all his fault as far as im concerned.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.