HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery Wants Back to the Rangers

Old
01-16-2009, 03:56 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Or says something about how he integrated into the team. Im sure if they loved him they wouldnt have ousted him so quickly... Thats all his fault as far as im concerned.
Or they were Dion's friends. lol.

Maybe they were angry because they were getting his sloppy seconds too.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:24 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I only disagree with you guys because your 2009 NYR just aren't built for that kind of game, and adding one Sean Avery doesn't make them a tough team to play against.

You figure out the PP OR get someone on the roster to generate offense more consistently and this perceived lack of toughness/passion/emotion is a non-issue, because the team will be too busy winning games to care about sending messages and screwing with opponents heads.
every team needs a combination of toughness/passion/emotion. goal scoring is a problem on this team, but scoring goals isn't everything. it takes a combination of things. thats how winning is done.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
Like it or not, Avery made the the Rangers a team no one wanted to play against.
Exactly. Like it or not, Avery made the Rangers a better team.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 05:10 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Because you don't blast a team mate in public.
I never said it had to be public. I don't think Dallas blasted him in public but they made it clear they didn't want him back.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 05:28 PM
BRINGBACKAVERY

If opposing teams see that they have to play against the Rangers with Sean Avery it means they know that they will have to fight and work there ***** off to get a win and just got get lucky a few times against Henri and hold off a bunch of "guys" withabout as much heart and grit as my girlfriend's sorority softballteam.

He may not put up flashy numbers but he puts it in the net when it counts. Why don't people get that its about QUALITY not QUANTITY!!!! I don't want such primadonna who scores a few goals when the team is already up by 3, or socres one goal with one minute left but the team is down by 5. I want someone who will FIGHT and WORK to get that gamewinning goal.

We haven't won the cup since I was in highschool. And why is that? Because we get a much of "me-firsts" types who only care about their stats and how much money they can make off of them. Well someone should try and remember that stats don't win hockey games, players do.

BRINGBACKAVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 05:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I never said it had to be public. I don't think Dallas blasted him in public but they made it clear they didn't want him back.
The fact we know about means it was public. Listen to what Turco and Modano said.

01-16-2009, 05:44 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Exactly. Like it or not, Avery made the Rangers a better team.
Unless they just ignored him.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 05:59 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Yeah, they did. Turco and a couple others absolutely ripped Aves.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
every team needs a combination of toughness/passion/emotion. goal scoring is a problem on this team, but scoring goals isn't everything. it takes a combination of things. thats how winning is done.
A. You're underrating the existing toughness/passion/emotion on the team. People like to overdramatize this perceived problem in order support their reasons for hating certain members of the team.

B. You're overrating the potential contribution of a single player, nevermind a fairly marginal one. Avery isn't one of the "tougher" players in the league, physically, and he definitely isn't an emotional leader.

C. For THIS Ranger team, scoring goals is a MAJOR problem and definitely the most pressing. Their ability to generate more offense, or not, will be the factor that makes or break this season, like it or not.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
I'm not sure where this league minimum noise is coming from. Sean Avery is under contract, the only amount of money he can play for this season is $3,750,000.

Quote:
I only disagree with you guys because your 2009 NYR just aren't built for that kind of game, and adding one Sean Avery doesn't make them a tough team to play against.
well, assuming your right there (I would argue history disagrees), doesn't any small difference help? no acquisition is going to solve all our problems, so does that mean making any move is senseless?

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:23 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
The fact we know about means it was public. Listen to what Turco and Modano said.
So you're saying what Modano and Turco did was wrong for ripping a guy in public which is what the Rangers Captains or leaders of the teams didn't do and if the Rangers players would have, they would be just as wrong as Modano and Turco? Because you did say that "you don't rip a team ate in public."

I'm not here to defend everything that Avery does. But how do we know he was such a cancer in the Rangers locker room when not one of us, obviously, were in there.

Now here's another question. Sather did offer or was willing to negotiate with Avery on a new contract, am I correct?

If he was such a "Cancer" in the locker room why would Sather offer him a dime after last season?

These are just questions that I have and not meant to argue, but I do feel as some others do, that the Rangers could use some more toughness on this team if possible. I know we have Voros. But I don't think he's as effective as a hockey player in general, let alone being an agitator. That's something I really feel we lost with Avery. Someone who plays that agitator role.

Not someone who is going to bite someones fingers off but one who picks his spots to agitate. Is there anyone that would disagree If I said that a big reason why we won some or many of are games had to do with Avery throwing other teams best players off of their games?

Old
01-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
well, assuming your right there (I would argue history disagrees), doesn't any small difference help? no acquisition is going to solve all our problems, so does that mean making any move is senseless?
I'm not prepared to say that any of the Rangers issues are personnel related. I think if Renney can adapt the strategy to the strengths and abilities of the players ON the roster, the team will find more success.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Deric

Quote:
I'm not sure where this league minimum noise is coming from. Sean Avery is under contract, the only amount of money he can play for this season is $3,750,000.
from what I understand Avery was never offically cut from Dallas even though he is not allowed to be around the team. Therefore they are currently still paying him his full salary until they either trade or cut him, etc. I don't know the exact rules for the NHL, but in baseball if a player under contract gets cut another team can pick him up for league minimum while the original team pays the remainder of his salary.

BTW, if the Rangers brought him back tonight, I would be buying an Avery jersey tomorrow.

Deric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
I'm not prepared to say that any of the Rangers issues are personnel related. I think if Renney can adapt the strategy to the strengths and abilities of the players ON the roster, the team will find more success.
we disagree there. I think they could greatly use another top-six forward, and a lot more physicality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deric View Post
from what I understand Avery was never offically cut from Dallas even though he is not allowed to be around the team. Therefore they are currently still paying him his full salary until they either trade or cut him, etc. I don't know the exact rules for the NHL, but in baseball if a player under contract gets cut another team can pick him up for league minimum while the original team pays the remainder of his salary.

BTW, if the Rangers brought him back tonight, I would be buying an Avery jersey tomorrow.
yeah, there's very different rules in hockey than in baseball. I'm pretty sure you can't cut a player during the season in hockey.

Old
01-16-2009, 06:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
So you're saying what Modano and Turco did was wrong for ripping a guy in public which is what the Rangers Captains or leaders of the teams didn't do and if the Rangers players would have, they would be just as wrong as Modano and Turco? Because you did say that "you don't rip a team ate in public."
What they did was wrong. If there were Rangers who didn't care for Avery, they at least had the sense to leave that behind close doors. The fact that we didn't hear anything doesn't mean those feelings didn't exist.

Old
01-16-2009, 06:46 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That's because Plax really isn't that bad and EVERYONE on the team loved the guy (Coughlin obviously had issues with him, but I've never heard of a single teammate not loving Plax to death).

Different situations. Plax was not a true cancer. He was self-destructive.
No, Plax is not a locker room cancer like Avery. My point was and remains that if people think they can be helped by a ******* they will often take that help.

Plax is a dirtbag criminal who risked killing someone that night when he carried a loaded unlicensed gun into a public place. That is not self-destructive. That is risking killing someone else.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:49 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLikesHockey View Post
This could be an opportunity to get some grit for the playoffs while shedding some bad contracts.
He didn't impress me in the Playoffs. He was far better in the regular season.

Old
01-16-2009, 06:50 PM
polako

Quote:
Because you don't blast a team mate in public.
...unless you're the dallas stars, apparently.

as far as I'm concerned, if Lundqvist is vocally against the return of Avery, then fine, don't even think about bringing him back. He's the only one, though. If Gomez or Drury have a problem, they can f off and take their bloated contracts with them. Avery at the league minimum or Gomez/Drury at 7m each with NTC? Hmmm.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
No, Plax is not a locker room cancer like Avery.
to me, a cancer prevents the team from winning in some way. considering the amount the Rangers won with Avery, there's a disconnection there somewhere.

Old
01-16-2009, 06:51 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah, they did. Turco and a couple others absolutely ripped Aves.
Otherwise we wouldn't know about it.

Old
01-16-2009, 06:52 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
...unless you're the dallas stars, apparently.
That's my point.

Old
01-16-2009, 06:57 PM
chosen

Quote:
to me, a cancer prevents the team from winning in some way. considering the amount the Rangers won with Avery, there's a disconnection there somewhere.
What exactly did Avery bring the Rangers in terms of success in the playoffs?

Old
01-16-2009, 06:59 PM
gravytrain6t

But my question still remains. If Avery was a Cancer in the locker room why would Sather even offer him anything? Suppose Avery accepted it? Then you would still have a cancer in your locker room.

Old
01-16-2009, 07:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
But my question still remains. If Avery was a Cancer in the locker room why would Sather even offer him anything? Suppose Avery accepted it? Then you would still have a cancer in your locker room.
I wasn't privy to negotiations. I would say that if he was the difference maker that some would have him be, Sather would have never let him go.

Old
01-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

How one guy supposedly can ruin a dressingroom is beyond me. Is the rest of the crew missing their balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
What exactly did Avery bring the Rangers in terms of success in the playoffs?
Taking Brodeur off his game? Also outscoring our superstar Drury... Sure he hasen't exactly been a Round 2 performer, but he's still just an agitator, not a scorer.

I wouldn't mind him back, but I think we need a pure goal scorer right now tbh.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote