HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

1/16/09 "Peanuts Are Extra" - Flyers VS. Panthers

View Poll Results: Who flies higher?
Panthers 16 69.57%
Flyers 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2009, 09:07 PM
ShootIt

vCash: 500
Damn

Old
01-16-2009, 09:11 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Well the Flyer's are an OT team. They seem to wait for the extra period and win in SO.

We deserved this game. We played way better then Philadelphia short of maybe 5 total minutes. We suffocated them and gave them no chance. The boys played hard and we earned a better fate.

Old
01-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Glad they woke up in the second and came out flying and playing a hard game. Now we're tied for 9th again, have to win tommorrow.

Wish we could do something about the shootout, it'd be nice to have guys who can score on it. You'd think that Frolik would be a lot better.

01-16-2009, 09:12 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Tough loss, but I thought the Panthers out played them.

Frolik was my player of the game tonight...at least for the forwrads...JayBo and McCabe played well.

Too bad that Booth chance at the end didn't go in...

Old
01-16-2009, 09:15 PM
RainingRats

We played well. Can't win them all. I'm glad there appears to be no effect from the break.

I hope we crush Tampa tomorrow. We cannot lose that game. The games we're supposed to win need to be won.

Old
01-16-2009, 09:17 PM
RainingRats

The fourth line was excellent tonight. Really liked the energy they brought. Stewart has been great on the fourth line. Kid works really hard. I wish he would skate through his checks. He would be a scary guy to play against if he didn't always let up.

Old
01-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

I'll bet that one poster watched the shootout.

A point against a good team, after being down two goals. I thought they looked kind of tentative during most of the third period, so I'm happy with a point. Almost had a heart attack every time the Flyers shot on our goal. I think watching these games takes years off my life.

Props to Stewart (agree--he was very good and I wonder if he might be the next guy who is coming on).

Weiss seemed really flat to me? Anyone else notice that? And McLean is someone I don't think will be with the Panthers next year.

Old
01-16-2009, 09:34 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
We outplayed them for all but 13 minutes of regulation. The second period was ALL Panthers. The third was a little more even, but I though we still outplayed them. Its good to see them come back and get a point, and we just need to continue this play tomorrow night against the Bolts. Overall, we cant be to dissapointed.

Old
01-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Just had a thought, doesn't this put the Panthers tied for second with Carolina?

Forgot a few people who were really good tonight:
Bouw--what more to say.
Booth--came on super hard in the third.
Frolik--the real deal, can't wait to see what he does when he takes off the training wheels
Ballard--a solid game tonight
Peltonnen--should break his foot more often
Tarnaski--actually noticed him, would have loved to see him pot a goal

Old
01-16-2009, 09:45 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
The fourth line was excellent tonight. Really liked the energy they brought. Stewart has been great on the fourth line. Kid works really hard. I wish he would skate through his checks. He would be a scary guy to play against if he didn't always let up.
lets up? you don't create possession, chances and penalties like that if you let up. he's doing ok, imo. tonight was a better game for him - he looked a bit more poised with the puck. definitely deserves a little reward though this is a good character building season for him. he's contributing by doing the little things and learning the value that has to the team. offense will come.

wrt the game - great game all around. there were a few let downs, some bad decisions by the forwards... we were burned on one in transition. one tough goal for vokie but he was pretty solid. otherwise though, solid game. if not for really good goaltending, philly probably would've been down a couple early. gotta come out and get 2 tomorrow. andy in net, vokie back on monday (imo).

Old
01-16-2009, 09:49 PM
handbanana
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

It's still one point, and most importantly... this didn't have the feel of a losing streak.

Old
01-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
I'll bet that one poster watched the shootout.

A point against a good team, after being down two goals. I thought they looked kind of tentative during most of the third period, so I'm happy with a point. Almost had a heart attack every time the Flyers shot on our goal. I think watching these games takes years off my life.

Props to Stewart (agree--he was very good and I wonder if he might be the next guy who is coming on).

Weiss seemed really flat to me? Anyone else notice that? And McLean is someone I don't think will be with the Panthers next year.
Weiss did seem a little off to me, but he didn't do anything particularly awful. He just didn't have any plays that really stuck out.

McLean had a pretty good game as part of the 4th line. They, that line, were cycling the puck well and maintaining control in the offensive zone. He caused at least one of the penalties. I don't think he is one of the most vital pieces of the team and is pretty easy to replace, but he is under contract for next year and he seems to be helping with some of the younger players. When Matthias was up, McLean was giving him feedback quite a bit during the games.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:19 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Who gets the nod tomorrow, Vokoun or Andy? I thought Vokoun played very good tonight, aside from the second goal, which i thought he should of had. He wasnt really challenged all that much either, so I think going with him on a back to back night shouldnt really be a big issue. Yet, I do want to see Andy's new mask in action lol.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:24 PM
handbanana
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Weiss blew a couple of passes. Overall not a great game from him, but no one can be on all the time. He took a nasty puck to the ankle too, didn't he?

Old
01-16-2009, 10:41 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
lets up? you don't create possession, chances and penalties like that if you let up. he's doing ok, imo. tonight was a better game for him - he looked a bit more poised with the puck. definitely deserves a little reward though this is a good character building season for him. he's contributing by doing the little things and learning the value that has to the team. offense will come.

wrt the game - great game all around. there were a few let downs, some bad decisions by the forwards... we were burned on one in transition. one tough goal for vokie but he was pretty solid. otherwise though, solid game. if not for really good goaltending, philly probably would've been down a couple early. gotta come out and get 2 tomorrow. andy in net, vokie back on monday (imo).
What? He slows down when he is about to check someone. I don't expect him to hit people at top speed but he could be a scary hitter if he didn't glide into his hits. I'm not sure what you're responding to me about.

Old
01-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Alright, time to get some revenge against Tampa after those two embarrassing losses at the end of December.

Old
01-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Nice to get a point but we need to win some of these come from behind games. Niittymaki was awesome tonight and definitely won them the game. I was waiting for Tarnasky to get another crack at the lineup. Him and Stewart were great tonight. Their line drew those three penalties in a row in the 2nd that allowed us to get back in it. I was hoping one of them scored the go-ahead goal because they deserved it.

This game kinda has that eerie feel like the one coming out of the Christmas break with us coming back to tie, losing in the shootout, then playing Tampa the very next night. Hopefully we pull it out but Tampa is playing much better lately.

-ghoste

Old
01-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Thought they played well last night after going down early. The 4th line did exactly what they're supposed to do, which is provide energy. They were really flying out there, was great. they drew penalties and ran some guys. Thought they set the tone. Would have liked to see Nasty drop the gloves with Hartnell, he went after Frolik a few times.
Raining Rats, I haven't seen Stewart pull up at all. I wish guys would give him credit, it's certainly due. He's been great this season, but he's not likely to become more than an energy player, which is fine by me.

Frolik's just amazing. Was proud of him for coming back last night. He's just such a hard worker and really pushes the play. He's a special kid.

Old
01-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Tuco

Not a bad loss yesterday at all. All the stars were against us and still we managed to salvage a point.

About Frolik still... hopefully Olesz has been watching these games, and sees that a young guy can make a difference. It just might boost his confidence so that he could make that one more push to the next level? Who knows, but he certainly is capable of doing it.

Old
01-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
What? He slows down when he is about to check someone. I don't expect him to hit people at top speed but he could be a scary hitter if he didn't glide into his hits. I'm not sure what you're responding to me about.
I actually think what you're proposing would most likely be called as a charging or boarding penalty. Running a guy too hard brings unwanted attention from refs. If, on the other hand, he's actually pulling up and slowing down into his hits, then I'd agree he's not following through.

More important than the severity of the hit, though, is what he's doing after it - if it's a puck carrier, he needs to be coming away with the puck. If it's not, the hit has to have taken someone out of a play, which he himself needs to go get involved in. So the question is...is he?

Nothing wrong with Stewie being an energy player - energy guys that big are a good thing, especially when they're capable of chipping in the odd goal.

01-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Biggzy*

I tivo'd through most of the game, but watched about half of it. We seemed to play pretty well.

Anyone else think Mike Richards is a piece of **** after that lame shootout move and his little chuckle afterwards? I lost any respect I had for him.

Old
01-17-2009, 08:50 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
He almost scored on it...

Old
01-17-2009, 08:52 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I actually think what you're proposing would most likely be called as a charging or boarding penalty. Running a guy too hard brings unwanted attention from refs. If, on the other hand, he's actually pulling up and slowing down into his hits, then I'd agree he's not following through.

More important than the severity of the hit, though, is what he's doing after it - if it's a puck carrier, he needs to be coming away with the puck. If it's not, the hit has to have taken someone out of a play, which he himself needs to go get involved in. So the question is...is he?

Nothing wrong with Stewie being an energy player - energy guys that big are a good thing, especially when they're capable of chipping in the odd goal.
right. i've never seen him ease up before hitting a puck carrier. NEVER. there's a small window where you can legally "finish" a check after the puck is gone. maybe you're referring to him easing up if it's borderline end of that window? that's the only thing i can think of and there's no problem with that. maybe you could say he was in on the play quick enough but... i don't think that's been the case. i think he's doing everything he's being asked to do, and that's why he's getting more and more ice time and his line is having an impact, if only by ratcheting up the energy, drawing penalties and wearing the opponent down (at this point).

Old
01-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
He almost scored on it...
Point? Doesn't change the fact that it was a ******** thing to do.

Old
01-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
right. i've never seen him ease up before hitting a puck carrier. NEVER. there's a small window where you can legally "finish" a check after the puck is gone. maybe you're referring to him easing up if it's borderline end of that window? that's the only thing i can think of and there's no problem with that. maybe you could say he was in on the play quick enough but... i don't think that's been the case. i think he's doing everything he's being asked to do, and that's why he's getting more and more ice time and his line is having an impact, if only by ratcheting up the energy, drawing penalties and wearing the opponent down (at this point).
Good analysis by both you and Race. I haven't seen Stewie be anything short of a hardnose player the whole season. I haven't seen him let up on anyone, either.

Closed Thread