HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Alright, I'm Back on the Kool-Aid

Old
01-06-2009, 02:47 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

vCash: 500
Alright, I'm Back on the Kool-Aid

It's got to be the best statement about playing in NYC: when your doing poorly the whole town is against you, but when you win there is no better place to play. With our shlacking of the ugly birds tonight I think we will right this dinky ship called the USS Renney and take this sucker all the way to Port 'Au Stanley Cup.

The waiting is over!! the new york rangers have played well, and this one will last a couple of days!!!

WE WANT THE CUP!!!... she'll do too

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 02:53 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i still firmly believe we have the talent to win a cup. but this team needs to show some mother effing heart out there, and play the way they are capable of playing, night in, night out, for 60 minutes.

Tonight was another 20 minute effort imho. We werent very strong in the first 2 periods, and Pittsburgh probably should have been up 3-2 after 2. With that said, we got the win, which is good, but they are a long way away from making me jump back on the bandwagon.

in the preseason i was leading the, "this team can win the cup" bandwagon, right now, i dont see it happening. they are talented enough (again, imho) but theyve got a ways to go before heart catches up with talent.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 03:58 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i still firmly believe we have the talent to win a cup.
Not wanting to troll, I really don't. I don't think I am in disagreement with the majority here on the stuff below either.
While we are 0-1-2 against you, we are a wounded, completely out of synch team with mega flaws, and have been for a long time. Yet, only Lundqvist has been between us blowing you out of your own barn in all three games during the first two periods. The first two we had the come from behind OT wins, and this time around you see a team in deep crisis that was still the team dominating the first two periods and having clearly the better chances. Just couldn't capitalize on anything.

I mean, if Carolina had the talent to be a dark horse when they won the cup, then you have an outside chance simply because you will make the playoffs, and once there.... well, a lot can happen. But it is far fetched.

I think in most non-Blueshirt eyes, and most of you guys here too, you are essentially a Lundqvist team that is over performing. The other highly paid stars aren't really stars, and while Zherdev and Staal are cool... well, they don't rival the guns many other teams have. For crying out loud, a few matches back you led the Atlantic yet had a negative for/against scoring balance going. When you contrast with those who look genuine contenders, thats pretty abysmal. The only truly elite player you have is Lundqvist. That just won't cut it in the playoffs, IMO, and it sure ain't the picture of a team with the 'talent to win the cup'.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 04:08 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
you think guys on this team are over-performing? you must not come around these parts very often then because a majority of the people that post on our boards think the guys on this team are significantly underperforming.

also in regards to tonight, aside from the 5 on 3 chances in the first and the first 10 minutes of that period and the 2 on 0 chance you had in the second, i wouldnt call it dominating one bit. you did hit a couple posts in the first but we also clanked the iron 3 times as well. maybe you had a few more chances, but dominating? no, not quite.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 04:20 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
Not wanting to troll, I really don't. I don't think I am in disagreement with the majority here on the stuff below either.
While we are 0-1-2 against you, we are a wounded, completely out of synch team with mega flaws, and have been for a long time. Yet, only Lundqvist has been between us blowing you out of your own barn in all three games during the first two periods. The first two we had the come from behind OT wins, and this time around you see a team in deep crisis that was still the team dominating the first two periods and having clearly the better chances. Just couldn't capitalize on anything.

I mean, if Carolina had the talent to be a dark horse when they won the cup, then you have an outside chance simply because you will make the playoffs, and once there.... well, a lot can happen. But it is far fetched.

I think in most non-Blueshirt eyes, and most of you guys here too, you are essentially a Lundqvist team that is over performing. The other highly paid stars aren't really stars, and while Zherdev and Staal are cool... well, they don't rival the guns many other teams have. For crying out loud, a few matches back you led the Atlantic yet had a negative for/against scoring balance going. When you contrast with those who look genuine contenders, thats pretty abysmal. The only truly elite player you have is Lundqvist. That just won't cut it in the playoffs, IMO, and it sure ain't the picture of a team with the 'talent to win the cup'.
The Rangers team that showed up for the 3rd period tonight would have a chance at winning the cup.

The Rangers team that showed up against the Sharks would have a chance at winning the cup.

The Rangers team that showed up against the Lightning would have a chance at winning the cup.

The Rangers team that showed up against the Devis the first time around would have a chance at winning the cup.

The Rangers team that shows up for roughly 1 -2 periods a game MAX would have a chance at winning the cup.

This Rangers team is woefully inept at playing 60 minutes of hockey.

If youre basing this team on what youve seen from us this season, youve got a terrible sample size. You saw us dominate the 3rd in all 3 games against you (if im not mistaken) but look like sphincter the first 2 periods.

That is the story of this team. THEY DONT PLAY 60 MOTHER EFFING MINUTES!!!

This team has the talent to be a cup contender, i believe it with every fiber of my being. there is not 1 team in the east that i feel would overmatch us in the playoffs. Nobody has the combination of speed, goaltending, and skill we do. We simply do not put it together, for any sustained period of time.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 04:39 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
The Rangers team that showed up for the 3rd period tonight would have a chance at winning the cup.

The Rangers team that showed up against the Sharks would have a chance at winning the cup.

The Rangers team that showed up against the Lightning would have a chance at winning the cup.

The Rangers team that showed up against the Devis the first time around would have a chance at winning the cup.

The Rangers team that shows up for roughly 1 -2 periods a game MAX would have a chance at winning the cup.

This Rangers team is woefully inept at playing 60 minutes of hockey.

If youre basing this team on what youve seen from us this season, youve got a terrible sample size. You saw us dominate the 3rd in all 3 games against you (if im not mistaken) but look like sphincter the first 2 periods.

That is the story of this team. THEY DONT PLAY 60 MOTHER EFFING MINUTES!!!

This team has the talent to be a cup contender, i believe it with every fiber of my being. there is not 1 team in the east that i feel would overmatch us in the playoffs. Nobody has the combination of speed, goaltending, and skill we do. We simply do not put it together, for any sustained period of time.
LOL. This team has the talent to be a cup contender? Where is this talent? This is one of the least talented teams in the league. How many teams in this league have fewer skill players than this team does? 4? 5? This team has ZERO first-line forwards. On a great team, MAYBE Zherdev is a first liner. Maybe.

These are ridiculous proclamations to make, especially on a night where we scored 3 flukey goals against a depleted team in the midst of a horrendous slump. Not saying the Rangers played bad, but 4-0 hardly tells the story. The Dawes and Drury goals were both lucky breaks and the Mara goal is what, the first time that's happened all season with this team, a goal right off the faceoff? How many real, legitimate scoring chances did they have in this game? Fewer than the Penguins did, I'll tell you that much.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 04:49 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Most all fans of all teams in the league save for a few can say that about isolated periods in isolated games.
My sample size obviously is not as large as you Rangers' fans. I've seen you perhaps 10 times this year, and I've never been impressed with anything but exactly those one off periods that has often won you games combined with Lundqvist's greatness - often in the SO. But that is not enough in the playoffs.

And as for most here thinking that they underperform.... well, I think there's a logical disconnect there, because if we agree, and many/most here do, that all your major contracts aside from Lundqvist are spectacularly overpriced, then it is really, really difficult to see how Rangers could logically rank very high on the talent rankings of the NHL.
Instead you win tight games. Both because of your keeper, but also because perhaps Renney is a very good motivator even if he doesn't have you play hockey you like to watch very much. You have been consistently winning as long as you get good/great tending. When you don't you invariably get beat. That's the mark of a team that really doesn't have a hole lot of horses, IMO.

Quote:
Well.... I just consider this to be completely absurd, but maybe that's because I haven't seen you enough... or just don't understand what it is you do. I really find Rangers to be by far the most overachieving team in the league pointswise.
Personally I don't think you're very fast, and I don't know who other than Zherdev has very much skill. Goaltending is stellar though, that's for sure.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 07:54 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

actually, those are excellent points really.

i completely agree that this team does NOT have near the talent, right now, to win it all this year. in addition, we have the wrong coaches. this team has no chemistry. period.

look at the devils, without martina theyve done well. if that happened to us, we would be looking at the tavares sweepstakes. the difference, an excellent coach and clutch players who have stepped up. we lack both.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:06 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Every Squirrel gets a nut every once in a while.

If they can sustain this, then I will have a cup of that koolaid you got.

20 game stretch is what I need to see.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:14 AM
The Thomas J.*

They played this game like it was a muist win season on the line game, I liked the desperation, but I'm not back on the Kool-aid yet.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:21 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I can't believe this place sometimes, i really cant.

Yesterday we are talking abotu firing Renney, trading and sitting players and draft picks and now we are talking Stanley Cup.

Some things never change.

Jesus, calm down.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:23 AM
RinkOnEStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

Yesterday we are talking abotu firing Renney, trading and sitting players and draft picks and now we are talking Stanley Cup.

Jesus, calm down.
It's pathetic isn't it? People just can't wait ONE more day until we play another game to decide if we are good or not? If they play that well against MTL and get a solid hard working win, then yes, maybe the ship has been righted and they are a playoff contender. However you don't go from playing one good game against the only team colder than you in the league and immediately become a Stanley Cup favorite. We flat out blew for the past month, one game doesn't change that.

RinkOnEStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:27 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

You make some good points about the Rangers. There is work to be done. Can they gel before the playoffs? We'll see. In the meantime our Elite player plays the whole game and nothing is more powerful to build a run on than a hot goaltender. So there is hope.

As for the Pens. Its seems half your team couldnt get out of Pittsburgh fast enough last summer. And those were the guys you didnt trade away for Hossa. A team that has two of the premier players in the NHL and went to the ECF and everyone jumps ship? Something is SERIOUSLY wrong in Pittsburgh and its not a lack of talent.

That's too much talent and turnover not to mess with a teams chemistry. And unlike the Rangers who lost older players to retirement, semi retirement and a victory lap in Russia, the Pens lost soldiers. Guys who really meant alot to that team and who were young and improving still.

The Rangers to a man love to play on this team. They just dont have elite talent outside Lundqvist. But God help the NHL if this group finds that "dormant" offense Renny professes to exist. Because they do play a solid team D and they do have Henrik Lundqvist.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Levitate

The other team gets a couple of good chances and suddenly the Rangesr "didn't play a complete game"

The worst thing the Rangers did last night was take too many penalties, and the worsts of the lot was an accidental high stick and a complete blown call by the official to give Pittsburgh that 5 on 3. And even then, the Rangers PK played well.

Other than that, it was a solid game through and through. I guess the biggest complaint I have is that Zherdev didn't do enough.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:36 AM
wereback

Quote:

Last time i checked every team plays a goalie.....just because yours cant stop a beach ball....dont come to our board and tell us we are a one player team....

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:54 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
Last time i checked every team plays a goalie.....just because yours cant stop a beach ball....dont come to our board and tell us we are a one player team....
Cam Ward says, "Oh Noesssss!"

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:06 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Please tell me what NHL team plays 60 minutes every night. No team in the NHL plays 60 minutes every night. Few teams play 60 minutes most nights.

Playing 60 minutes every night requires that the opponent does a complete no show. And every team in the NHL is quite capable of dominating their opponent for at least one period.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:19 AM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Please tell me what NHL team plays 60 minutes every night. No team in the NHL plays 60 minutes every night. Few teams play 60 minutes most nights.

Playing 60 minutes every night requires that the opponent does a complete no show. And every team in the NHL is quite capable of dominating their opponent for at least one period.
Great point....it is what it is its a win and im glad to get it...who cares who played better in what period....we won and lets get some sort of streak going off this game

BrianLeetch2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
yea seriously...only we are allowed to tell each other that we're a one player team.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:32 AM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
When I read the title, I thought a bunch of Ranger fans were jumping ship to the Devils... I mean, Lou has some goooood Kool-aid.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:21 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
When I read the title, I thought a bunch of Ranger fans were jumping ship to the Devils... I mean, Lou has some goooood Kool-aid.
Ranger fans would watch underwater frisbee before they would spend 1 second rooting for Marty, Lou and the Debbies.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:30 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

Jesus, calm down.
Totally agree.....this place cracks me up.

p.s.- I would say that a date with ms pantierre would make my life complete....and im 21....

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Shake and Bake

Who is that hot girl licking the Stanley Cup? I've seen that picture all over these boards

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:42 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
Who is that hot girl licking the Stanley Cup? I've seen that picture all over these boards
the chick from heroes, i think she used to live on long island and was a fishstuck fan... well nobody's perfect. But yeah these boards are kinda funny but its just a microcosm of the city, can be your enemy to your best friend.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:53 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
hayden panetierre

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote