HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Circuit City to liquidate remaining U.S. stores

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2009, 07:16 PM
  #26
Metallian*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 13,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
The Source = Circuit City
"The Source, by Circuit City"

So basically, Radio Shack will continue to exist in some way or another

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 07:56 PM
  #27
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
"The Source, by Circuit City"

So basically, Radio Shack will continue to exist in some way or another
I stopped going in when they changed the name. They should change it back. I have a hard time taking a place called "The Source" seriously. Sounds like I'm buying drugs or something.

__________________
This content is hosted here with the objections of the poster.
coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:05 PM
  #28
Metallian*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 13,859
vCash: 500
it's a little hole in the wall. i cant imagine any reason for me ever shopping there when i can get the same stuff for the same prices at best buy.

i think i've shopped there once, and it was to buy banana plugs for my receiver....only because i was shoe shopping next door.

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:09 PM
  #29
mrb91
Registered User
 
mrb91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kingston, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
As long as I have Future Shop to keep me away from Best Buy I am happy. Horrible horrible store.

mrb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:25 PM
  #30
NJ_Devil_Boy
Registered User
 
NJ_Devil_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,840
vCash: 500
I predicted this when they took over Radio Shack (RIP Radio Shack). Everything is marked up 15%-20% and the brand NEXXTECH is garbage. Thanks heavens.

Oh wait..it said 'remaining US Stores...'

NJ_Devil_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:32 PM
  #31
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 40,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb91 View Post
As long as I have Future Shop to keep me away from Best Buy I am happy. Horrible horrible store.
Yet it's the same company running both.

__________________
parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:37 PM
  #32
The Guy on the Couch*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Civic Arena
Posts: 2,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy View Post
I predicted this when they took over Radio Shack (RIP Radio Shack). Everything is marked up 15%-20% and the brand NEXXTECH is garbage. Thanks heavens.

Oh wait..it said 'remaining US Stores...'
what NEXXTECH products r u referring to? blank cd's/dvds? i hope not cuz i have like a 100 of each

The Guy on the Couch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:43 PM
  #33
MikeyMike01*
Hurray
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,432
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Good riddance. Circuit City is second only to Radio Shack on the top of my **** list of stores.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:46 PM
  #34
Metallian*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 13,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Yet it's the same company running both.
lol, true

i cant stand future shop. guys are on commission so unless you are buying a tv and all their crap they toss at you, you can't get the time of day there. customer service is just so bad at future shop.

then again, i have had my fair share of problems with best buy, but at least the average employee is courteous.

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:58 PM
  #35
Smelling Salt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Here in Winnipeg BB is always more expensive than FS too. So you can pricematch there, then go somewhere else like Visions and pricematch again.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 09:58 PM
  #36
Vic Rattlehead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St-Hubert, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
lol, true

i cant stand future shop. guys are on commission so unless you are buying a tv and all their crap they toss at you, you can't get the time of day there. customer service is just so bad at future shop.

then again, i have had my fair share of problems with best buy, but at least the average employee is courteous.
You can get information, but you have to understand that sales people have to follow a strict procedure. I used to work at a Future Shop store in Montreal, and I remember the salespeople being told that they can only talk to clients who are only browsing for 5-10 minutes. It's not only about commission - it's about moving inventory. The daily wages are tied in with the expected sales (a specific number of hours are delegated to each department every week), and if a computer salesman has to spend a half-hour with a client who ends up buying nothing, a lot of time is wasted and potential sales are lost.

In the end, it's a business. There are a lot of "bad customers" who waste employees' time, and in most cases, these are people who have no intention of purchasing a product unless it is on sale. Future Shop wants to create lifetime customers, and to do so, they need to spend more time cultivating those relationships than wasting time on bad customers.

As for employee being courteous, that too depends on the location. The store I worked at stressed the importance of being kind to customers.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:32 PM
  #37
NJ_Devil_Boy
Registered User
 
NJ_Devil_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by some drunk fool Pitt View Post
what NEXXTECH products r u referring to? blank cd's/dvds? i hope not cuz i have like a 100 of each
I was referring to the computer hardware & accessories. I didn't even know they made blank discs.

NJ_Devil_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:35 PM
  #38
NJ_Devil_Boy
Registered User
 
NJ_Devil_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModanoMan View Post
Here in Winnipeg BB is always more expensive than FS too.
Yeah, it's the same in Toronto. How is that? On more than one occasion, the same product is advertised (in flyers) at BB and FS for different prices... I thought BB pwned both stores.

NJ_Devil_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:13 PM
  #39
Metallian*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 13,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
You can get information, but you have to understand that sales people have to follow a strict procedure. I used to work at a Future Shop store in Montreal, and I remember the salespeople being told that they can only talk to clients who are only browsing for 5-10 minutes. It's not only about commission - it's about moving inventory. The daily wages are tied in with the expected sales (a specific number of hours are delegated to each department every week), and if a computer salesman has to spend a half-hour with a client who ends up buying nothing, a lot of time is wasted and potential sales are lost.

In the end, it's a business. There are a lot of "bad customers" who waste employees' time, and in most cases, these are people who have no intention of purchasing a product unless it is on sale. Future Shop wants to create lifetime customers, and to do so, they need to spend more time cultivating those relationships than wasting time on bad customers.

As for employee being courteous, that too depends on the location. The store I worked at stressed the importance of being kind to customers.
off the top of my head i can think of a time when i asked the computer salesman if there were any 13 inch notebooks, i need a light one. he proceeded to hammer down this 15 inch behemoth of an HP down my throat and wouldnt listen to what i was shopping for.

i remember when i was shopping for TVs there, and i wanted an LCD and the guy kept pushing me to get a LCoS projection TV. I said i want to use it as a pc monitor, he said it would burn in, i said he was lying, he showed me a broken cashier monitor trying to prove himself right rather than just help me buy what i was looking for. I ended up buying an LCD at another local store the next day out of spite.

hell, i just bought a tv there. i was having issues with it and the next day i went in and described the problem (note: i had my cable technician come over and he told me the tv had issues, and to go talk to the store). so after telling the problem the guy said brb and walked away to the other side and dealt with other customers, and just hid until we finally left.

BS service

then again, they're all fresh off the boat, what should i expect

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 12:16 AM
  #40
Captain Awesome
Registered User
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,963
vCash: 500
Good riddance, that place is ****. Their philosophy is to hire people, wait until they make a couple bucks more than starting, and fire them for it. Then they hire new people.

I have no sympathy for Circuit City, there's a reason they went under before everyone else. I went into an interview there and they told me they didn't have anything available, I was pissed because gas was 4 bucks a gallon and I was thinking, why the **** would you call me in if you have nothing available? I'm happy that at least the local one here is going under.

Good riddance CC, I won't miss you.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 01:00 AM
  #41
Volcanologist
Habitual User
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
Good riddance, that place is ****. Their philosophy is to hire people, wait until they make a couple bucks more than starting, and fire them for it. Then they hire new people.
.
...and they still couldn't make a go of it.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 08:18 AM
  #42
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,171
vCash: 500
I always found their stores dark and dirty looking, whereas BB is bright and clean, not to mention, I thought CC was higher on certain things, and having most everything locked away in cabinets never impressed me either.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 12:47 PM
  #43
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady
 
What the Faulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 25,738
vCash: 500
Those who hate Best Buy should check out hhgregg. They have some ridiculous prices

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 12:50 PM
  #44
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 8,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
Those who hate Best Buy should check out hhgregg. They have some ridiculous prices
They look pretty regional. I've never even heard of them. From their website's store locator:

Quote:
Below is a listing of all hhgregg retail stores in the
United States, grouped by State.

* Alabama
* Florida
* Georgia
* Indiana
* Kentucky
* North Carolina
* Ohio
* South Carolina
* Tennessee

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 01:20 PM
  #45
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady
 
What the Faulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 25,738
vCash: 500
Oh, well there you go. In any case, they do have some pretty good deals. I got a TV that retails for $700 most places for $499 there which is the cheapest I saw anywhere, internet included.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 01:29 PM
  #46
mrb91
Registered User
 
mrb91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kingston, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Yet it's the same company running both.
I have not had a bad experience with Future Shop and nothing but bad with Best Buy. Maybe it is just at the stores here.

mrb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 02:46 PM
  #47
Caspian30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 643
vCash: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
i know people who work for future shop (canada's circuit city) and they all told me theres a decent profit margin on the tv's, and thats how they make their commission

tv's are a lot cheaper in the states though...so i guess it varies
Umm...I worked at Best Buy (and Future Shop is owned by BB)
When it came to employee discount, it was cost + 10%. Often times, many big ticket items actually costed more if you were to use employee discount. Game consoles and iPods are sold below cost and the profit is made on accessories/games/etc.

The profit margins on TVs is quite low. Check out this CBC Market Place episode regarding the cost of TV cables and accessories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDw2ZSDzlMw

When the average consumer buys the TV, they usually pick up all the accessories to go with their shiny new purchase.

Caspian30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:50 PM
  #48
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
I always found their stores dark and dirty looking, whereas BB is bright and clean
I echo those sentiments exactly.... I always felt the CC stores were sleezy...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:56 PM
  #49
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
i know people who work for future shop (canada's circuit city) and they all told me theres a decent profit margin on the tv's, and thats how they make their commission

tv's are a lot cheaper in the states though...so i guess it varies
Profit margin on a TV isn't bad but on a computer it's nil.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 04:07 PM
  #50
ClawinAtcha
Registered User
 
ClawinAtcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Circuit City sale update:

Here in Miami, FL at the 7700 North Kendall Drive location
30% off cables
20% off CDs/DVDs (includes Blu-Ray)
10% off everything else (fine print: everything else that's not on sale price already)

Wonder if the prices will go down further as liquidation continues...

ClawinAtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.