HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Red Wings, Zetterberg close on deal (~10yr/75M)

Old
01-16-2009, 10:54 AM
FissionFire

vCash: 500
Red Wings, Zetterberg close on deal (~10yr/75M)

Reportedly the figures are close to the 10yr/75M deal that we reportedly rejected.

Source: Source: Red Wings, Zetterberg close on deal
Quote:
Contract negotiations between the Detroit Red Wings and center Henrik Zetterberg appear to be heading toward the homestretch.

A personal familiar with the talks said negotiations have intensified in recent days and that the sides could be closing in on an agreement.

If anything, he likely will sign a deal in the neighborhood of 10 years and $75 million, which would be the longest and most lucrative pact in franchise history.

"That figure really is in the ballpark,'' said a person with knowledge of the talks.

Team captain Nicklas Lidstrom, forward Tomas Holmstrom and club vice-president Steve Yzerman also have had one-on-one meetings with Zetterberg over the last two months in an effort to get him signed.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
He's not allowed to make more than 7.45 I thought?

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:57 AM
E-Mac

I wonder if they're going to give Zets more than Lidstrom. Haven't they been pretty firm about that in the past, like in the Hossa signing?

E-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:58 AM
dbhislife

does anyone have their cap numbers? They must be looking awfully close if the cap drops

dbhislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:00 AM
azntam

10 years?

whats with these ridiculously long contracts these days, hank will be 38 when this is up if this is true.

Det should be careful how they spend money and lock players for huge contracts over long periods of time especially with the economic situation in there.

azntam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Nice if they can lock up Zetterberg, but I'm not a fan of the long-term contracts.

I think 5 years is long enough, re-up after 4 if you choose to keep the player.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:05 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhislife View Post
does anyone have their cap numbers? They must be looking awfully close if the cap drops
About $37mm already tied up next year.

UFA's: Hossa, Zetterberg, McCarty, Samuelsson, Franzen, Chelios, Conklin

RFA: Hudler

(from nhlnumbers.com)

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Well hey, Detroit has to max out their payroll somehow. With the possible departures of Hossa, Franzen, Samuelsson and a pay increase for Jiri Hudler, and the possiblity of the cap going down in the near future, why wouldn't you pay this guy almost $80 million?

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:06 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
That length is a bit scary, to be paying him 7.5M when he's 38. They definitely need to lock him up long term but I don't know about this long term. I think Lidstrom can deal with someone making 500K more than him on the team.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:06 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Good for them, Zetterberg is likely their next captain, I think.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:08 AM
dbhislife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero View Post
About $37mm already tied up next year.

UFA's: Hossa, Zetterberg, McCarty, Samuelsson, Franzen, Chelios, Conklin

RFA: Hudler

(from nhlnumbers.com)
so after Zett (if this is true) they are going to have 44.5 tied up and still needing 4 forwards a D-man and a goalie? (not counting Hudlers increase)

..... I see another team with problems....

I don't see them being able to afford Hudler if they want Conklin (whose been playing better then Osgood IMO)....the Panthers will gladly take him off your hands

Old
Michael Scott*

10 years is too much if true...

Michael Scott* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
That length is a bit scary, to be paying him 7.5M when he's 38. They definitely need to lock him up long term but I don't know about this long term. I think Lidstrom can deal with someone making 500K more than him on the team.
Probably. It's been conjectured in Detroit the last 2 years that Zetterberg would be the one to break the Lidstrom cap and set the new ceiling in Detroit.

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
I don't think Lidstrom would be offended if someone made more than him. That's an Illitch rule.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Edge of Sanity*

Cute to see people saying the Wings are stupid for this move... honestly, people STILL question Ken Holland. Amazing.

Remember when everyone thought the Datsyuk and Kronwall contracts were ridiculous? LMAO, don't you all look stupid now.

Edge of Sanity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:14 AM
dbhislife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge of Sanity View Post
Cute to see people saying the Wings are stupid for this move... honestly, people STILL question Ken Holland. Amazing.

Remember when everyone thought the Datsyuk and Kronwall contracts were ridiculous? LMAO, don't you all look stupid now.
No one has yet to say big Z doesnt deserve 7.5....that was the plight with the other two deals you mention. All we are saying is that Holland is a great hockey mind...but maybe not a great economist. You guys are awfuly close to the ceiling with a few holes left to fill

Old
01-16-2009, 11:15 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhislife View Post
so after Zett (if this is true) they are going to have 44.5 tied up and still needing 4 forwards a D-man and a goalie? (not counting Hudlers increase)

..... I see another team with problems....

I don't see them being able to afford Hudler if they want Conklin (whose been playing better then Osgood IMO)....the Panthers will gladly take him off your hands
Detroit is blessed with some players ready for the show and out of options next season they can plug into the lineup in D Jonathan Ericsson (900k) and G Jimmy Howard (717k). They've also got C Darren Helm (599k) who really should be on the team next year. It'll be interesting to see what happens with RFA Ville Leino as well.

Luckily for Detroit, Hudler is an RFA so that should limit the number of teams willing to sign him. Assuming the cap doesn't rise or fall, the Wings would get a nice package of picks in return for losing him.....

~2.6M to 3.9M: 1st, 3rd
~3.9M to 5.2M: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

There's a good chance that it would take an offer of 4M+ to keep Detroit from matching, and that's a steep price for a team to pay for Hudler.

Old
01-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Impressionist

vCash: 2010
Especially with the salary cap probably going down due to the economy, the length of this rumoured deal is very surprising.

Impressionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Detroit is locking up their stars and I'm sure Holland knows full well that if the cap does drop in a couple of years he may have to fill his 3rd and 4th lines and half his defense corp with minimum wage players. That is a choice all teams will eventually have to make, Detroit and a few others are just there already.

The progression towards paying 5 or so stars a huge percentage of your payroll dollars and everyone else next to minimum is obviously happening. The level that will eventually disappear is the mid-range guy.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Philanthropist

They could always trade him later (and when I say later I mean in following years) for several average/good players to fill out their roster. The worst thing they could do is let him walk this summer. It's bad asset management.

Just for the love of god don't give him a NTC/NMC lol.

Philanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:56 AM
middletoe
Why am I me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azntam View Post
10 years?

whats with these ridiculously long contracts these days, hank will be 38 when this is up if this is true.

Det should be careful how they spend money and lock players for huge contracts over long periods of time especially with the economic situation in there.
It seems risky. But, I wonder if any future changes in the CBA could make these contracts not as bad as they seem right now.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:57 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Well if he does sign a contract I have a feeling Marion Hossa will be back on the free agent block

DAkings20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:59 AM
peebos

Quote:
I think Lidstrom can deal with someone making 500K more than him on the team.
That would be only 50K more than Lidstrom...

peebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Marky9er

If he turned it down, offer it to Hossa before another offer. Too much term though. 5-6 years would be good.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Hossa is basically out of Detroit next year. As for them being in a huge problem, I don't think so.

Their AHL team is very good. A guy like Helm would be on any other NHL team. Darren Helm and Vinne Leno [The finnish MVP....SP?] should play for them next year with not really high cap hits.....Ericsson [sp?] is also a very good defenseman that will be in their line-up.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote