HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Red Wings, Zetterberg close on deal (~10yr/75M)

Old
01-16-2009, 02:06 PM
FissionFire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Kessel View Post
I must have missed the part where Detroit had a Zetterberg with a 10 yr, 75 M contract in the last 15 years. I must have also missed the part where the NHL agreed to a salary cap more than 15 years ago.

But hey, keep bringing up the past all you want, the fact is that the Wings don't have more cups than Anaheim and Carolina in the salary cap era, and only one more than 27 teams.

Anyone who can count knows that this rumored contract makes no sense.
LOL, are you serious? There have only been 3 seasons since the lockout. By your reasoning the Tampa Bay Lightning are just as good of a team in the cap era as the Boston Bruins. You sound exactly like a Wings fan this that crap, expecting them to win the Cup every single season or they are an epic failure. Coming out of the lockout you can probably count on one hand the number of people outside Detroit who felt they could win another Cup within 5 years with all their "old" players and Yzerman retiring. I'd say they'd navigated the cap world pretty damn well, especially when you look at the current states of said Cup champs Anaheim and Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
Detroit knows what they're doing. I'd rather have Zetts than Hossa. I think 10 years is a bit long at that money.

When are we going to see Jimmy Howard?
Jimmy Howard will be in the NHL next season. Either he'll be splitting time with Osgood in Detroit or traded to another team. He's out of waiver exempions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
95% sure he'd get a NTC, 90% sure he'd get a NMC
Datsyuk only got a limited NTC on his deal. Zetterberg will probably get a limited NTC/NMC as well but I doubt he gets a full one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
10 years for a 28 year old...

What are they thinking by that? The odds of him being productive at 36-38 aren't that good.
If Crosby at 28 wants to resign a 10yr extension, do you tell him no and risk letting him hit the market or do you do it and worry about years 8-10 when you get there? Point is, you lock up your stars, and 7.5M for Zetterberg is a bargain. Whether or not his production declines at the end of the contract is something you worry about then. The CBA is also likely to change at least once before that contract comes due so who knows what rules the future holds. Maybe NBA-style buyouts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
The cap for next season IIRC will likely be in the 55 to 57 range. So assuming that number is correct the Wings have roughly 12 to 14 million dollars to sign 6-7 forwards.

If this 7.5 number is close to what Zetterberg really gets then that leaves 4.5 to 6.5 left for 5 more fowards.

With that being said the cap is expected to do down significantly the year after that so unless Detroit sheds more salary it doesn't look like they'll be able to resign Franzen or Hossa.

If they trade Brad Stuart then that'll free up another 3.75 million which might just give them enough cap space to get Franzen signed but I wouldn't be suprised if both Hossa and Franzen don't resign with Detroit.

Then again this is the Detroit Redwings and what ever they seem to do works for them.
Detroit also has several contracts set to come off the books that season:
Nicklas Lidstrom: $7,450,000
Tomas Holmstrom: $2,250,000
Andreas Lilja: $1,250,000
Kirk Maltby: $883,333
Brett Lebda: $650,000
Derek Meech: $483,333

That's $12,966,666 off the cap so unless the cap drops by a precipitous amount (meaning a significant number of NHL teams will be in trouble with the cap) then Detroit is set up well to be able to absorb a drop in the cap of probably 5M or so without having to sweat.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:16 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
That's $12,966,666 off the cap so unless the cap drops by a precipitous amount (meaning a significant number of NHL teams will be in trouble with the cap) then Detroit is set up well to be able to absorb a drop in the cap of probably 5M or so without having to sweat.
so....

yer trying to tell me the wings have set them selves up AGAIN so that they have room when they need it?

Get out of town!

next thing you are gonna tell me is that Nicklas Lidstrom will likely take a paycut at age 38 to play a couple more seasons....

X8oD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
Yeah, those Stanley Cups won't amount to anything if Zetterberg signs this deal (which happens to be below market value.)

it isn't below market value. The cap hit at 7.5 is, but I think it would be pretty certain that the deal would be frontloaded.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Zata

Cap hit is the most important part there, as Illich has been willing to spend $80 million before, I don't think any frontloaded deals would bother him.

Z would probably get 10 years on the open market, at a rate higher than 7.5 per.

There is no point in being too concerned about the far far future. If he has chronic injurys and retires he's off the cap (assuming the CBA stays the same). Not to mention that there will be a new CBA in place by the time the deal expires, who knows what that will be like. It doesn't mean it is a bad idea to sign guys past the CBA expiration. Any GM who had that rule wouldn't be resigning many of his free agents.

Zata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Clock

With Detroit's ability to draft and their current prospect pool, they could pull this off. 7.5 smells steep, but Zetterberg's their next captain.

Ten years gives some pause, though.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:52 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

The solution to Zetterberg making more than the captain (Lidstrom - 7.45 million/year) is simple:

Make Zetterberg captain.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:03 PM
ZetterbergFourty*

I want Zetterberg to resign, but not to a 10 year deal. 4 or 5 will do for now. Seems to me a 10 yr contract player will turn into a major dog****er at some point in time. Why not right? already locked in for 10 years worth of bacon, why not slack off and such? I'm waiting too see how AO and Rick D pan out.

ZetterbergFourty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2Back View Post
I want Zetterberg to resign, but not to a 10 year deal. 4 or 5 will do for now.
True, you will be hard-pressed to find anyone "endorsing" a 10-year deal, as it is lengthy.

But, respectfully, it misses the point, entirely.

When one asks: "why not 4 years?...or 5 years?" that assumes that Detroit's options are between 10 years and some other duration.

That also assumes that Detroit has not pursued those alternatives. Bet your life that they have. Zett's camp likely has said "no thanks".

So Detroit's option is likely between the current, reported 10 year deal...and Zetts going on the UFA market next July 1st.

I know which option I would take. The one that Illitch, Holland, et al are apparently pursuing. It's a no brainer. Core, in-their-prime players who help lead teams to Cups do not grow on trees. Yes, there are many great young(er) talents who POTENTIALLY COULD do so (Toews, Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin, Richards, etc.).

This is a top-end talent - with many years ahead of him - who has PROVEN capable of such accomplishment. You do not let him get away. You continue to restock your roster around him (and Dats) for the bulk of the next decade.

So to those who think (as we all seemingly do) that 10 years is alot: do you let him walk then? That is the option to not signing him. No "middle ground", for that assumes that arguably the best front office in the entire sport did not pursue that option...and only we experts on HF considered it.

Last edited by Trottier: 01-16-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

10 years is alot IMO

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:31 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

I know tons of people are overpaid, but its not like people are going to pay people more than Crosby on the open market.

In fact, NOBODY has got 8 million per year as a UFA. I say Zetterberg ends up signing a deal like Datsyuks, maybe a little higher, like Thornton/Iginla/Heatley money.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 07:19 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanceOfMaternity View Post
I know tons of people are overpaid, but its not like people are going to pay people more than Crosby on the open market.

In fact, NOBODY has got 8 million per year as a UFA. I say Zetterberg ends up signing a deal like Datsyuks, maybe a little higher, like Thornton/Iginla/Heatley money.
Well, Hossa reportedly turned down that much from Edmonton so that busts your theory. Also, how often do franchise-level players get on the market? You point to Thornton (7.2M), Iginla (7M), and Heatley (7.5M). You can also include Lecavalier (7.727M) and Gomez (7.357M). Zetterberg at 7.5M basically is the same money as those guys you mentioned.

Old
01-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Better Call Saul

No point in even questioning the fact that it's a 10-year deal. Ken Holland and the Red Wings usually get these types of things right.

Doubting is futile.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:06 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Ok fans of hockey. I'm just thinking way ahead here.. lets say Zetterberg is a 80-100pts player for the next 5 years. The next 5 years his production falls to avering 65pts a year.

They win 2 stanley cups in the first 5 years and none in the last 5 years. Would you take the offer? I would for sure. Point being if they can lock up a great future captain longterm with known playoff performance to a longterm deal. DO IT.

I think it's a good deal.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Not even close.

Lidstrom: $7,450,000
Datsyuk: $6,700,000
Rafalski: $6,000,000
Stuart: $3,750,000
Franzen: $3,000,000
Kronvall: $3,000,000
Cleary: $2,800,000
Holmstrom: $2,250,000
Draper: $1,583,333
Osgood: $1,416,667
Ericsson: $900,000
Maltby: $883,333
Howard: $716,667
Lebda: $650,000
Meech: $483,333
TOTAL: $42,833,333 for 16 players - including 7 defensemen and 2 goalies

Of course, you're using nhlnumbers ... which explains the error.
Zetterberg would bring it to 17 players @ around 50.3? Roughly what would the Wings be looking at to Sign Franzen and Hudler?

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
Zetterberg would bring it to 17 players @ around 50.3? Roughly what would the Wings be looking at to Sign Franzen and Hudler?
More than the combined $1,956,667 they counted against the cap this past season. My snap guess is that Franzen is worth at least $2.8 million [or what Cleary is making], and Hudler could get $1.75 million in arbitration.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:34 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
More than the combined $1,956,667 they counted against the cap this past season. My snap guess is that Franzen is worth at least $2.8 million [or what Cleary is making], and Hudler could get $1.75 million in arbitration.
$3.5M for Franzen and $2.5M for Hudler feel like absolute minimums to me.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Tra La La

Quote:

They'd be up against it? But doable without freeing more space?

(Still eyeing Filppula)

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Dan friggin' Cleary is making $2.8 million a year?

Jesus Hussein Christ...

Franzen, as much as I loathe that piece of you-know-what, is ten times the hockey player Cleary is, and I wouldn't pay Franzen $2.8 million, either.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Hulk Hogan*

The Wings will likely unload Filppula and Cleary. Those contracts are not that great going forward if they wish to bring back Franzen and Hudler. Maybe they can get Hossa to re-sign for 8 years @ the league minimum?

Hulk Hogan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
$3.5M for Franzen and $2.5M for Hudler feel like absolute minimums to me.
I should clarify: if Daniel Cleary [who went an incredible 2-1-3 in the playoffs last year and is 8-14-22 this year] got a 4-year, $11.2 million contract, there's no way Franzen [who was 13-5-18 in only 16 games in the playoffs last year and is 20-11-31 this year] gets signed for anything less than $2.8 million per year.

On Hudler, I don't have as good of a feel. Is he really a 70-point player given his current 68-point pace this season? I don't think so, his performance has more of a feel of "contract season" than it does "sign of things to come for the next few years." If you think 70 points per season is a sign of things to come, we may both be undershooting it. I just think if he goes to arbitration, the Wings bring out everything they can think of to tear him down and diminish his play.

Old
01-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agi View Post
The Wings will likely unload Filppula and Cleary. Those contracts are not that great going forward if they wish to bring back Franzen and Hudler. Maybe they can get Hossa to re-sign for 8 years @ the league minimum?
What kind of contract has Filppula got? I wouldn't mind seeing him in the 'Note, and giving him the chance to stick it up Detroit's big red *** eight times a year...

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agi View Post
The Wings will likely unload Filppula and Cleary. Those contracts are not that great going forward if they wish to bring back Franzen and Hudler.
Saying, "we're going to unload Filppula and Cleary" is one thing. Doing it is another; if the Wings end up staring at Cap Hell, moving them is going to become that much more difficult - and if there's one thing we should all know at this point, it's that teams in Cap Hell do not get out of it without taking the short end of the stick in any trade that gets them out. If the plan is to move those two, they need to do it sooner rather than later.

Old
01-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
What kind of contract has Filppula got? I wouldn't mind seeing him in the 'Note, and giving him the chance to stick it up Detroit's big red *** eight times a year...

P_B
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=DET

$2.5M for 2009-10, $3.5M for 2010-11 to 2012-13.

Old
01-16-2009, 09:00 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post

P_B
Ya, but to get him you'll have to bend it over and let Detroit get theirs first. Intra-division trade and all.....

Old
01-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Captain Awesome

The only bad thing about locking up Zetterberg for the next 10 years is he has injury problems from to time. It seems especially with his back he has problems. Otherwise I don't see anything horribly wrong with it unless those problems hamper him for the rest of his career.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote