HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you consider "core"?

Old
01-16-2009, 05:54 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Who do you consider "core"?

We throw around the term core quite a bit around here - I think it would be good to see what it means to everyone.

To me core means that the player is consider un-tradeable unless massive overpayment, usually because the player is irreplaceable for on ice play and off ice chemistry.

My core now:

Ovechkin
Alzner
Green
Backstrom
Semin

Added in the future:

Varlamov
Carlson

I guess you can also put who you think is core and a list for who you think GMGM/Bruce consider core if you care to go into more detail then I did.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Burgh32

He may not be core in the strict sense of the word, but if core equates to "will not be traded under any circumstances in the near future" I might be tempted to add Brooks Laich's name to that current list. He is one of those guys who reeks of work ethic and leadership qualities that every great team ultimately needs, especially in the playoffs.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Codependent
Fail for Nail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
We throw around the term core quite a bit around here - I think it would be good to see what it means to everyone.

To me core means that the player is consider un-tradeable unless massive overpayment, usually because the player is irreplaceable for on ice play and off ice chemistry.

My core now:

Ovechkin
Alzner
Green
Backstrom
Semin

Added in the future:

Varlamov
Carlson

I guess you can also put who you think is core and a list for who you think GMGM/Bruce consider core if you care to go into more detail then I did.

I agree that Laich is on there as well as long as he continues to be the only player providing his specific skill set on this team. I think if Carlson and Varlamov fulfill their potential they could be core but I don't think one can really speculate about non NHL players becoming core because to me core suggests you've proven your value to the team. I think if Finley became a solid d-man he would just as easilly be core as Carlson because he's a bone crushing behemoth and this lineup despeartely lacks a player like him, but he's proven nothing professionally so he, Gustafsson, and every other prospect is just another prospect until they give us some concrete proof.

I think one player that has quickly demonstrated he is core though is Alzner, which is amazing in it of itself. Poti has to be included even if he's getting older; I think he'll play his career out here; he's our only shut down guy though I think Alzner will be considered to be as well by next season. Poti's contract is a god send right now.

Codependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:56 PM
CapitalPunishment

I think that's about it. But if Semin gets to be too expensive, he might have to be dealt, esp if he starts getting 50 goal seasons.

We could always draft young scoring talent to play with Backstrom/Ovechkin. Backstrom IMHO is more valuable to this teams future than Semin. But clearly, the most important player on this team, by far is Ovechkin, but that doesn't need to be said.

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:56 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post

My core now:

Ovechkin
Alzner
Green
Backstrom
Semin

Added in the future:

Varlamov
Carlson

If I used your definition of core, then Ovechkin, Backstrom and Green would be the only players Id consider core (your definition being almost untradeable because of on ice play and off ice importance.)

My definition of core is a little different though. To me ones core is the group of players you want locked up contractually and who will be the driving force behind a cup run, while the other parts are interchangeable. By that definition, I would agree with the list you made.

Last edited by TheFountainhead: 01-16-2009 at 10:08 PM.
TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 07:04 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Ovi Backstrom Semin Green; hoping to add Alzner and Varlamov to round out my core at each position.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 07:07 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

IMO:

Core for sure?
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Green
Alzner
Varlamov

Almost certainly?
Semin

Probably/maybe?
Laich
Fleischmann

God I hope so?
Carlson
Osala

Schultz may fit in to one of those spots, but he's not a high-impact player or flashy prospect so maybe not yet.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 07:52 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Laich is a good one to add, I had him on there but figured maybe I was just overvaluing him (I guess I chickened out on it). I'll edit him into my list. He is good friends with Green for sure and has the leadership and ability to play any position at any circumstance (other then goalie).

As for "using your definition" - if it wasn't clear I want everyone to use their own definition. I just see the he is a "core" player term around hfboards so much that I thought it was be good to get a consensus on who we all thought should be on the list.

Old
01-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Ridley Simon

Core = won't trade unless getting major upgrade from said player

Ovechkin
Backstrom
Semin
Laich
Kozlov
Gordon
Green
Alzner
Poti
Varlamov

I dont see any of these players being traded by GMGM unles he gets a significant upgrade to that player. As I stated.

Gordon and Kozlov are favourites of the team and the management. I think they are simply "glue" type guys, and will not be moved. So....to that extent, they are "core".

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 09:40 PM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

The big four and Laich immediately come to mind.

cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Alex28*

You need to add Kozlov to that list. He's not much of a player on his own but without him Ovechkin and Backstrom just don't tick. Lots of things collapse without him, from the caps having no first liner to compliment OV and Backstrom fully to the 2nd and 3rd lines becoming more disorganized. And there doesn't seem to be anyone on the caps or the market who could replace him for < 4 million except Sykora, who's out of the question.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
He may not be core in the strict sense of the word, but if core equates to "will not be traded under any circumstances in the near future" I might be tempted to add Brooks Laich's name to that current list. He is one of those guys who reeks of work ethic and leadership qualities that every great team ultimately needs, especially in the playoffs.
I'm a little disappointed with Laich of late. I thought especially against the Pens, that he was extremely soft. He didn't finish one check that I saw. I expect more out of him in that area. I think he's trying to be too cute lately.

As for who is core...until someone else steps up bigtime....

Ovechkin
Alzner
Green
Backstrom
Semin

Everyone else is replaceable.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:42 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
You need to add Kozlov to that list. He's not much of a player on his own but without him Ovechkin and Backstrom just don't tick. Lots of things collapse without him, from the caps having no first liner to compliment OV and Backstrom fully to the 2nd and 3rd lines becoming more disorganized. And there doesn't seem to be anyone on the caps or the market who could replace him for < 4 million except Sykora, who's out of the question.
Kozlov is a spare part right now. I've been one of his biggest supporters here, even before he was signed I was calling for the signing, but let's be honest, he's got a few years left in the league tops. He's NOT core. He's a good interchangeable player.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:32 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
I'm a little disappointed with Laich of late. I thought especially against the Pens, that he was extremely soft. He didn't finish one check that I saw. I expect more out of him in that area. I think he's trying to be too cute lately.
He got 2 assists in that game, if he is going to be cute and not finish hits but show up on the scoreboard occasionally I'm fine with that. It is an 82 games season and everyone is gonna have a stretch in which they "get cute." Laich really isnt a big hitter anyways. He's a tough player that takes the puck to the net and will take a beating to screen the goalie on the power play.

His ability to play center or wing on any line (scoring or checking) and both special teams and even defense if we get a couple injuries in a game. That is invaluable. You just don't find players like that often around the league.

Old
01-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
What?

I guess you aren't a fan of the Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin line?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

I consider the 4 young guns, Alzner, Laich and Fleischman to be "core". Only reason why I put Fleischman in there is because he's on pace for 30 goals, and is on a very friendly contract.

Old
01-16-2009, 11:58 PM
EroCaps

Core:

Ovechkin
Backstrom
Green
Alzner

Questionable:

Semin

Potential:

Varlamov
Carlson
Gustafsson

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 12:13 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
What?

I guess you aren't a fan of the Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin line?
Considering it's good against like 3 teams and atrocious against the rest, no I'm not.

Kozlov establishes puck possession, battles along the boards, can take a hit without being knocked off the puck, opens up other guys, knows when to pass and shoot. SOB has been good against Carolina and shut down against everyone else. Ovechkin and Backstrom in general have been ineffective without Kozlov.

Semin with Fedorov and Fleischmann or Laich is much more effective.

Sorry, so far no one on the Caps has been able to replace him for the first line to click the way it does with him.

Old
01-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
Kozlov is a spare part right now. I've been one of his biggest supporters here, even before he was signed I was calling for the signing, but let's be honest, he's got a few years left in the league tops. He's NOT core. He's a good interchangeable player.
But for some reason the caps can't find anyone to interchange with him.

Without Kozlov you have the top line that possesses the puck maybe 40% of the time. IE an enormous waste of Ovechkin's and Backstrom's great talents.

Old
01-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Considering it's good against like 3 teams and atrocious against the rest, no I'm not.

Kozlov establishes puck possession, battles along the boards, can take a hit without being knocked off the puck, opens up other guys, knows when to pass and shoot. SOB has been good against Carolina and shut down against everyone else. Ovechkin and Backstrom in general have been ineffective without Kozlov.

Semin with Fedorov and Fleischmann or Laich is much more effective.

Sorry, so far no one on the Caps has been able to replace him for the first line to click the way it does with him.
Yes. The MVP of the NHL and one of the bright, young starts needs Viktor Kozlov to be effective players.

Old
01-17-2009, 02:06 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

people havent ignore listed alex28 yet?

Ovechkin scored 21 points in 10 games without Kozlov on his line and for a good period of time that line sucked and the Ovie-Backstrom depended on the pp for points

Last edited by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar: 01-17-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old
01-17-2009, 02:33 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Yes. The MVP of the NHL and one of the bright, young starts needs Viktor Kozlov to be effective players.
Alright. Put someone else there. Oh wait, they tried that many times and it always goes back to OBK unless Semin is absolutely on fire.

Old
01-17-2009, 07:49 AM
txpd

I think you there are two questions here.

1. being the actual core. the center of the team. ovechkin, backstrom, green, are the core the. the best young players to build the team around.

2. the team players that would not be traded unless for an overpay. frankly that is just about the entire roster. for instance there is no way the Caps trade donald brashear. he is a primary part of the fabric of the hockey team. there may come a time that tom poti isn't the only veteran top 4 d on the team, but he is right now. mcphee would never trade poti. laich is glue, fleischmann is overperforming his contract and is a key part of the hershey calder winning group. i think we have seen how important gordo is to the group as a whole.

i could go on, but i think its easier to look at the roster and ask who mcphee would consider trading?

i saw on rogers sportsnet pregame for the leafs game, speculation that if anaheim continues to fall out of the playoffs that chris pronger will get dealt because his contract is so friendly, one more year at $6m. could the caps win the cup this season if they had pronger? what roster player/players along with a top prospect and a first and second round pick would mcphee consider trading the ducks for a rebuild?

pronger. logic says niedermeyer would be available as well...but lets stick with pronger and set aside the cap issues...assume someone takes nylander. for pronger. if you won't trade the guy for pronger, then he is not tradeable.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:49 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Ovechkin
Backstrom
Green
Alzner
Laich
Semin

Those are the core guys, IMO. I'd also put their importance to the future success of the organizatino in that order. I'm a big fan of what Brooks Laich brings to the team, and I don't think he's got a skillset that is easy to find. He's the Caps' poor man's version of a Mike Richards or Brendan Morrow. I see Brooksy being a Capital for a long time. Too much versatility, grit, and ability to let go.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Foy

Ovechkin.

Period.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote