HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you consider "core"?

Old
01-17-2009, 10:40 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Green
Alzner
Laich
Semin

Those are the core guys, IMO. I'd also put their importance to the future success of the organizatino in that order. I'm a big fan of what Brooks Laich brings to the team, and I don't think he's got a skillset that is easy to find. He's the Caps' poor man's version of a Mike Richards or Brendan Morrow. I see Brooksy being a Capital for a long time. Too much versatility, grit, and ability to let go.

Laich above Semin???? I think its much harder to find a guy with 50 goal potential than it is to find a guy with Laich's skillset and character. I love Brooksie, but I could take losing him much easier than losing Semin.

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Captain Conservative

Core:
Ovy
Backis
Green

I don't include Semin because of his slack attitude and injury history. I'd ship him off if we could get a good young center or d-man. Sure, it could come back to bite us in the ass, as we all know he has as much or more skill than any hockey player alive. I think the odds are in our favor though.

Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 02:30 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Core defined IMO: A core player is one that you can start to build a team around. Typically the upper echelon and elite. When you have one at every position = solid championship run. Semin is borderline core, Poti seems to be close; our goaltending is maybe closer to the crust then core. I am optimistic however that one of our drafted G's should graduate to core status.

Semin has played phenomenally this year. Injures have affected his game, but he is still the same player he was in the playoffs last year. His recent bongo exhibition is proof he's in the game as much than ever.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Core defined IMO: A core player is one that you can start to build a team around. Typically the upper echelon and elite. When you have one at every position = solid championship run. Semin is borderline core, Poti seems to be close; our goaltending is maybe closer to the crust then core. I am optimistic however that one of our drafted G's should graduate to core status.

Semin has played phenomenally this year. Injures have affected his game, but he is still the same player he was in the playoffs last year. His recent bongo exhibition is proof he's in the game as much than ever.
I'm a little frightened about the contract he will want in two years time. If his history is any indication, he won't take a discount, will want a big number and still be missing large parts of the season. There is no doubt of his talent, but he's tradable if we're getting a young 1st line center or a good young physical top 4 dman back. Theres not too many of either commodity around the league, so he'll probably stay with us.

Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:04 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative View Post
I'm a little frightened about the contract he will want in two years time. If his history is any indication, he won't take a discount, will want a big number and still be missing large parts of the season. There is no doubt of his talent, but he's tradable if we're getting a young 1st line center or a good young physical top 4 dman back. Theres not too many of either commodity around the league, so he'll probably stay with us.
How so? He took a pretty big discount on his current contract, especially since it doesn't take him to UFA.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:06 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

@CC: lol i always remain optimistic that a guy will take a pay cut to be able to stay in town, not have to move, etc. but money talks, ******** walks. I too fear what Semin can command one day soon, but (like usual) something tells me there may be a small chance he signs for less to stay here. This time, its all about his relationship with Ovi.

his previous contract I thought was properly valued considering what he had shown at that time. dangle.

Old
01-17-2009, 03:11 PM
broad

Maybe I'm crazy, but I see Gordon as a Capital for life. Of course, I thought Pettinger and Kolzig were going to be Capitals for life too..

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:19 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
How so? He took a pretty big discount on his current contract, especially since it doesn't take him to UFA.
I hope this is correct. He may not get the big UFA payday as soon, but isn't he earning more money now, that he would have had he not inked the deal that he did. Less now more later; more now less later... maybe it evens out.

Maybe his agent told him, "look, you are injury prone, dont play much defense, take lazy penalties, are a flight risk, fall down a lot; you like Ovi, lets take 4 now".

Old
01-17-2009, 03:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegr8 View Post
Laich above Semin???? I think its much harder to find a guy with 50 goal potential than it is to find a guy with Laich's skillset and character. I love Brooksie, but I could take losing him much easier than losing Semin.
Yes. Laich is very undervalued by some, and while Semin is a terrific talent, the Caps do have an elite goalscorer without him. They don't have anyone like Laich.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 04:57 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

IMO it wasnt that long ago that Clark was Laich like

Old
01-17-2009, 05:03 PM
davej0122

Your core is OVie, everyone around him looks alot better.....

davej0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Dream Big

Could this year be as good as it gets? The cost of keeping the true core and the next layer of the core plus the outer layer of the core may not be possible next year?:

Brashear would be true core or next layer of the core for me. He is one of the last true heavy weights elder statesman if you will in his line of work.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

Ovi
Backstrom
Green
Alzner
Laich
Semin
Poti

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Monty

Ovi
Backstrom
Green
Alzner

In a salary cap world, I consider these four the core because of their top-notch play (or potential top-notch play), and they fill key roles - top scorer, first-line center, offensive defenseman, shutdown defenseman. When you have a top player at a position, they often play a lot of minutes. In a game, there are a total of 300 minutes to be played by your five-man unit (i.e., 5 x 60 minutes). This quartet could play a third of those minutes (i.e., Alzner - 27, Green - 27, AO - 23, Backstrom - 23). When you can play all-star calibre players a third of the game, you are almost surely going to remain a top team.

I didn't include Semin because even though he is an excellent player, it's a salary cap world and I seriously doubt that the Caps can afford these four, and Semin, for very long, if at all, after next season.

Next season the experts say the team max salary cap will not change much, but these same experts are predicting that two seasons from now the salary cap could fall from $56 million to approximately $48 million. On the surface it appears that the Caps can make up this $8 million drop because Federov won't be here by then, and if Nylander hasn't been traded, the Caps can buy out his last contract year. But I expect Semin to be looking for a $7 million plus LT contract, and maybe more if next season he can stay healthy - isn't Semin a Hossa-level player. For now I expect they can keep Backstrom for a contract in the $5 to $6 million range for two to four years. But then you add in other young players improving and asking for more money. Erskine isn't a young player and didn't appear to be improving, and the Caps doubled his salary. Schultz will likely be able to double his contract. Flash will likely triple his salary at least, although in two years I seriously doubt the Caps will be able to keep him.

The Tampa Bay scenario is an apt one. They had three top players, gave them the requisite salaries, and weren't able to afford enough of the rest of the team to remain a good team. The Caps have potentially five top players not on entry level contracts going into the 2011-12 season, so it's hard to envision how they will be able to manage that. If they can't afford them all, then the Caps need to trade one of those players at the right time when they can get a good deal, involving top prospects and/or a top-five draft pick to keep the pipeline of temporarily cheap, quality young players going.

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote