HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh/Atlanta

Old
01-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
What's amusing is that Lecavalier can fetch an impressive list of young players but Geno can't. Ah well, to each their own.
There wasn't a single player of Kovalchuk's stature and youth mentioned in any Lecavalier proposal I saw.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Exelby takes himself out of position pretty much constantly looking for hits, and he has concussion issues. He would be behind every NHL defenseman on the Pens' depth chart.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 12:25 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Absolutely it would but not a Kovalchuk, Bogosian and a top 3 pick overpayment.
You're talking about value. I'm talking about reality.

You really think the Pens would trade Malkin (the best player in hockey, arguably) for Kovalchuk (UFA in a year) Bogosian (A rookie) and a top 3 pick (crap-shoot)?

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 12:32 AM
vcx*

Quote:
There wasn't a single player of Kovalchuk's stature and youth mentioned in any Lecavalier proposal I saw.
Yeah, I know. I was just saying the return for Malkin is just harder to read at this point. He's in his 3rd full season and he leads the league in pts. Kovalchuk is one of the best snipers in the game, having a bit of an off season and has 1 more year after this one on his contract where as Geno is locked up long term. The value is harder to read because of that.

What happens if Kovalchuk decides to test the market after? We basically gave up Malkin for nothing then, just a season and a half of Kovalchuk.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 01:33 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDeriMISSILE View Post
Malkin really is a lot better than Kovalchuk. Not only from a talent perspective, but from a potential perspective as well.

If Atlanta wouldn't do a deal where they get Malkin (who is signed long-term) for Kovalchuk and ANY combination of players, then they are crazy. Everyone knows Kovalchuk isn't going to be a Thrasher after next year.
Except for Kovalchuk

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 01:59 AM
doglover8891
rajinikanthfan1

no thanks add espisito and all your scoring leaders with kovo then we will consider it

doglover8891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 02:59 AM
ArVeeDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsrules View Post
no thanks add espisito and all your scoring leaders with kovo then we will consider it
Lol no

I would no way in hell trade half my team for one guy.

I wouldn't even do Kovy+ Little. There is a reason that superstars don't get traded. The asking price is too ****ing high. Atlanta has the assets to make the Pens listen, but after that we'd have nothing left. We're already kinda low on depth. These kinds of moves aren't what a rebuilding team needs.

ArVeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:26 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Malkin on the wing is still a better player than Kovalchuk AND is locked up long term AND freaking XLB is not going to change anything.

Last edited by Morozov: 01-17-2009 at 03:41 AM.
Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:33 AM
vcx*

I wouldn't mind Exelby on the Pens, he would add some toughness to the blueline, from the games I have seen him in he is a pretty aggressive guy and would be a great guy to have around on the team. But not in a package to land Malkin, in a smaller trade sure. When healthy...

Orpik, Gonchar
Whitney, Letang
Exelby, Goligoski

Or something like that...The sad thing is the ones in red are currently injured.

Old
01-17-2009, 05:06 AM
nmbr_24

I am a fan of neither team, but IMHO, to get Malkin, Atlanta would have to really blow away Pittsburgh with an offer. You are not going to get one of the top 3 players in the game for Kovalchuk and Grant Exelby.

Maybe I am going overboard a little, but I think Malkin is so much better than Kovalchuk that it would take Kovalchuk, and another good player, plus your best prospect plus your first round draft pick to even get close to having the Penguins consider trading Malkin to Atlanta.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 05:09 AM
vcx*

With Malkin you are not only getting a top 5 player, but you are getting him for 5 more years, guaranteed, contractually. That also does increase his trade value significantly, even though it's already significant. He's not a rental, he is not signed for 1 more year, but he has a contract that is long term at a very good price and he's only getting better.

In a trade like that, the Penguins would get Kovalchuk for a year if they got him in the off season or a season and a few games if they traded for him at the deadline (unlikely with him being named captain). That would just be piss poor player management by Shero.

Old
01-17-2009, 08:04 AM
michaeldyer94

No way. Malkin will never leave the Pens, him and Crosby are tied to Pittsburgh for life! Besides I'd rather see Malkin and Crosby not Kovy and Crosby

michaeldyer94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:39 AM
AK

Quote:
Now that's just over the top crazy talk.

Of course, this thread is crazy talk so it fits.
Malkin is very arguably the best player in the world.

If Lindros could fetch what he did, Malkin could fetch that package.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
No i can't because Malkin will probably lead them to the playoffs. I don't care who is on that team, they will make the playoffs with Malkin.
Kinda like Malkin being on the Pens is guaranteeing them a playoff spot??

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Exelby takes himself out of position pretty much constantly looking for hits, and he has concussion issues. He would be behind every NHL defenseman on the Pens' depth chart.
Really.

Behind Hall Gill, Phillippe Boucher, and Mark Eaton? You seriously believe this homer crap you post?

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I am a fan of neither team, but IMHO, to get Malkin, Atlanta would have to really blow away Pittsburgh with an offer. You are not going to get one of the top 3 players in the game for Kovalchuk and Grant Exelby.

Maybe I am going overboard a little, but I think Malkin is so much better than Kovalchuk that it would take Kovalchuk, and another good player, plus your best prospect plus your first round draft pick to even get close to having the Penguins consider trading Malkin to Atlanta.
I really don't think the gap is THAT big in terms of talent. Obviously Malkin is worth more than Kovy, but not THAT much more. I think Kovy+Little would get it done from a pure value standpoint, but then there's really no use for Atlanta to do it... If Atlanta trades him, I doubt they trade him with more assets to upgrade their team... If anything, they trade him for young prospects and picks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Malkin is very arguably the best player in the world.

If Lindros could fetch what he did, Malkin could fetch that package.
The times have changed.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

No trading Malkin. It's really as simple as that.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
BTW, Kovalchuk and Rich Peverely have instant chemistry and Ilya is gushing about how good he thinks Peverley is, so perhaps Ilya will want to stay. The Kovalchuk-Peverley-Armstrong line is surprisingly good (only two games in, of course...).
No offense, but Kovy's really in a bad way if he's gushing about Rich Peverley.

Old
01-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
I wouldn't mind Exelby on the Pens, he would add some toughness to the blueline, from the games I have seen him in he is a pretty aggressive guy and would be a great guy to have around on the team. But not in a package to land Malkin, in a smaller trade sure. When healthy...

Orpik, Gonchar
Whitney, Letang
Exelby, Goligoski

Or something like that...The sad thing is the ones in red are currently injured.
Gill, Boucher, Eaton, and Scuderi are all better than Exelby.

Old
01-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
True, but they all fill pretty much the same role. Exelby would bring an element that none of them could - certainly not the difference between Kovalchuk and Malkin (), but he could be a useful bottom-pairing guy for this team, I'd think.

Old
01-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock60 View Post
hmm. I doubt ATL would give Bogosian so quickly. Enstrom maybe?
Uhh...definitely not.

The Pens can have Schneider. Kovalchuk is nearly as good as Malkin. Exelby seems like a good enough balancer.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:00 PM
pittiful89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
Uhh...definitely not.

The Pens can have Schneider. Kovalchuk is nearly as good as Malkin. Exelby seems like a good enough balancer.
Malkin's younger, better, has the highest upside in the league, and has 4 more years on his contract.

Yeah. I wouldn't trade Malkin for a single player in the NHL, including Crosby if he was hypothetically on another team.

pittiful89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:23 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Gill definitely not, Boucher probably not, and no idea on Eaton and Scuderi (I'll be honest).

Exelby when paired with a guy that can move the puck (like Goligoski) is a good middle pairing defenseman. Having Exelby and Orpik on your team would be really nasty, pretty much meaning you have 2 of the top 5 hitters (statistically) in the league on your team.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 03:15 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Gill definitely not, Boucher probably not, and no idea on Eaton and Scuderi (I'll be honest).

Exelby when paired with a guy that can move the puck (like Goligoski) is a good middle pairing defenseman. Having Exelby and Orpik on your team would be really nasty, pretty much meaning you have 2 of the top 5 hitters (statistically) in the league on your team.
Exelby isn't a middle pairing defenseman, he's a 7th guy on a good team. All of the guys I mentioned are better defensively than him. He's physical, which I love, he's entertaining to watch, but he takes himself out of the play too often looking for hits. Pairing him with Goligoski would be a bad idea, Goligoski is a rookie, and he doesn't need to be cleaning up Exelby's messes when he decides to step up and try to hit someone. It's not like Exelby is a guy who will hang back and allow Goligoski to do his thing offensively. Exelby simply isn't disciplined enough to be a foil to an offensive guy. You'd have to pair him with a solid defensive defensman just to cover for him.

Anyone who reads the Pens board can tell you that I'm always advocating the team getting more grit, but Exelby lacks too much in the other areas of the defensive game outside of physical play to help the Penguins.

Old
01-18-2009, 03:39 AM
vcx*

If there was a way to just combine Eaton, Boucher, Scuderi and Gill into one person...Shero should look into it. I'm bored.