HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Would ranger fans do this trade?

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2009, 09:31 PM
marty30brodeur*

vCash: 500
Would ranger fans do this trade?

this is a no brainer. But one of my friends whos a ranger fan says no because lundqvist is so "rare"

heres the trade

kane and toews for drury, gomez and lundqvist.

Not only does it clear up a lot of cap space, but you get 2 amazing young talents. I dont understand how my friend won't do this trade.

Would you guys do it.

Last edited by marty30brodeur*: 01-16-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old
01-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty30brodeur View Post
this is a no brainer. But one of my friends whos a ranger fan says no because lundqvist is so "rare"

heres the trade

kane and toews for drury, gomez and lundqvist.

Not only does it clear up a lot of cap space, but you get 2 amazing young talents. I dont understand how my friend won't do this trade.

Would you guys do it.
Chicago files lawsuit against Rangers after Tallon collapses and dies from laughing nonstop for 3 hours. Rangers forced to give up their only good FA contract for a 5th round pick.

Old
01-16-2009, 09:46 PM
marty30brodeur*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Chicago files lawsuit against Rangers after Tallon collapses and dies from laughing nonstop for 3 hours. Rangers forced to give up their only good FA contract for a 5th round pick.
i just told him what you said, this is his response.

"i just don't feel comfortable with it from the rangers perspective unless they have a good replacement in hand"

Old
01-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Salz

I'm his friend that he's talking about. My basic belief is that while the trade is awfully tempting, I don't think goalies who start 70 plus games and play very well drop out of trees. A lot of the goalies with good stats right now are in platoon situations. They'd wear down and have worse stats if they played more often, like Clemensen eventually did. I would do the trade in a heartbeat if we had a goalie replacement ready. It's also very tempting from a cap perspective, as well. Still, we need a goalie to replace Henrik.

Old
01-16-2009, 09:55 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
No I'd never do this. Goalies who can carry a team on their shoulders are few and not readily available, while scoring wingers and centerman, are abundant throughout the league, even if they are extremely hard to acquire.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:08 PM
NYRSchrute217

As much as I hate Drury and Gomez, I probably wouldn't do this. Not because I'm a Lundqvist-homer, but because how often do you find goalies like that? He can carry a team by himself.

Lundqvist is so much more than we thought Montoya or Blackburn would ever be.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:27 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Thanks I needed a good laugh after the day I had.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:31 PM
marty30brodeur*

um almost every team in this league has an amaizng goalie some even two. Do you guys not understand how there's not much of a difference in goalies. And your team with lundqvist isn't going anywhere. Look at all these teams with goalies.

Atlantic
islanders- Dipeirtos hurt right now but last yr was an allstar. Even mcdonald wasn't bad

devils. brodeur, even clemmenson has been good and devils win with him. Weekes too

Pitt- MAF. Last yr Conklin was insaine when MAF was injuried.

Flyers- Biron and NITTY. Remember Birons run to make it to the eastern conference finals last yr.

Rangers: Vally is not far away from being as good as Lundqvist. Whenever he gets the chance to play hes better some nights.

Boston: Tim thomas and Manny both are amazing espiclly tim thomas. B's are in first even while platooning both of them.

Buffalo: Ryan Miller.

Toronto: Voskola who kinda sucks but so does toronto.

Ottawa: their goalie sucks also but they made the finals with Emery people.

Montreal: Carey Price another star.

Just look at all these goalies

Niklas Backstorm amazing
Khabby on chicago is great
Mason on coloumbus insaine
Nabokov
Kiprusoff
Vokoun
Cam Ward
Louongo
Craig Anderson is a beast
Giguere amazing
Detriot even osgoods amazing there
Quick on LA
Bryzgalov
Mike Smith is insaine on tampa

Can i go on. I just named over 20 goalies who are pretty much in the same league as henrik. But your getting Kane and Toews who are insainely young and cheap for 2 guys in gomez and drury who are really awful considering their contract. Lundqvist hasn't won anything for you to not make this trade because of him.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:33 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
um almost every team in this league has an amaizng goalie some even two. Do you guys not understand how there's not much of a difference in goalies. And your team with lundqvist isn't going anywhere. Look at all these teams with goalies.

Atlantic
islanders- Dipeirtos hurt right now but last yr was an allstar. Even mcdonald wasn't bad

devils. brodeur, even clemmenson has been good and devils win with him. Weekes too

Pitt- MAF. Last yr Conklin was insaine when MAF was injuried.

Flyers- Biron and NITTY. Remember Birons run to make it to the eastern conference finals last yr.

Rangers: Vally is not far away from being as good as Lundqvist. Whenever he gets the chance to play hes better some nights.

Boston: Tim thomas and Manny both are amazing espiclly tim thomas. B's are in first even while platooning both of them.

Buffalo: Ryan Miller.

Toronto: Voskola who kinda sucks but so does toronto.

Ottawa: their goalie sucks also but they made the finals with Emery people.

Montreal: Carey Price another star.

Just look at all these goalies

Niklas Backstorm amazing
Khabby on chicago is great
Mason on coloumbus insaine
Nabokov
Kiprusoff
Vokoun
Cam Ward
Louongo
Craig Anderson is a beast
Giguere amazing
Detriot even osgoods amazing there
Quick on LA
Bryzgalov
Mike Smith is insaine on tampa

Can i go on. I just named over 20 goalies who are pretty much in the same league as henrik. But your getting Kane and Toews who are insainely young and cheap for 2 guys in gomez and drury who are really awful considering their contract. Lundqvist hasn't won anything for you to not make this trade because of him.
And how many of these Hall of Fame goalies have been a Vezina finalist every year of their career? I can promise you that if you post this thought process on the Devils' board they will all disown you.

Would you trade a 26 year old Brodeur for those two?

Old
01-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Celestial Black

Not a chance.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:37 PM
TheHotRock

from a ranger pov, you'd have to be stupid not to do this.

as much as i love henrik, toews and kane are monsters and are 20 and 19, respectively. on top of that, we get to dump our two worst contracts. we'd have a boatload of cap room and two insanely spectacular young players to build around.

we'd be able to find a suitable starter....leclaire is available, manny fernandez, gerber...it goes on.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:39 PM
marty30brodeur*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
And how many of these Hall of Fame goalies have been a Vezina finalist every year of their career? I can promise you that if you post this thought process on the Devils' board they will all disown you.

Would you trade a 26 year old Brodeur for those two?
first of all lundqvist hasn't won anything. And this trade would make your team 20 times better. Cam WArd is a stanly cup mvp so please. Everyone on the devils board would laugh at ranger fans not accepting this trade.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:40 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post

as much as i love henrik, toews and kane are monsters and are 20 and 19, respectively. on top of that, we get to dump our two worst contracts. we'd have a boatload of cap room and two insanely spectacular young players to build around.

we'd be able to find a suitable starter....leclaire is available, manny fernandez, gerber...it goes on.
None of these are suitable starters. That's the equivalent of keeping Lundqvist and saying there are suitable forwards such as Pascal Dupuis and Jason Ward.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:40 PM
marty30brodeur*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post

Good post.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
first of all lundqvist hasn't won anything. And this trade would make your team 20 times better. Cam WArd is a stanly cup mvp so please. Everyone on the devils board would laugh at ranger fans not accepting this trade.
So instead of winning, or losing 2-1, we'll be winning, or losing 6-5?

And all the 57 Devils fans would laugh at us for not doing this?

Old
01-16-2009, 10:42 PM
marty30brodeur*

Quote:
None of these are suitable starters. That's the equivalent of keeping Lundqvist and saying there are suitable forwards such as Pascal Dupuis and Jason Ward.
dude even clemmenson is a suitable starter and those guys are 20 times better than him. Please, there are so many guys just as good as lundqvist and your team would improve greatly just by getting rid of drury and gomez.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:42 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
You didn't address my question. Would you trade a 26 year old Brodeur for these two? Lundqvist has accomplished a hell of a lot more than 90% of the goalies you listed. I fail to see what Cam Ward has to do with anything. There is such an obvious bias against Lundqvist it's ridiculous. I didn't say anything about the trade. I said to post your thoughts on how 90% of the NHL goalies are just as good as Lundqvist, including Stephen Valiquette, and that he is easily replaceable. If goalies are such an easy commodity to come by then why do you love Brodeur so much? After all, wouldn't it have made more sense for the Devils to trade him and gain some forwards?

Old
01-16-2009, 10:44 PM
levski87

Quote:
Go away. Please.

Oh, Vally is almost as good as Lundqvist?... Really. Vally plays about 10 games whic Lundqivst plays the rest per season. Put Vally in for more than one game every 2 weeks and lets see him then. Aye, seriously. Shoo.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
What have Toews and Kane won?

Explain that chestnut right there for us.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
the guy had a debate with his friend. He went to an arena (or forum if you prefer) of enthusiasts to see how they would feel. to quote billy, "a simple yes or no would have done just fine". Don't rip the kid.

Lundqvist is a good goalie... but to think this is a completely outlandish proposal isn't fair. It has at least some upside to the Rangers (losing cap, gaining talented players). And while I don't think Valliquete is better than Lundqvist, maybe he could hold the fort down.

I'm not saying I would do this from a Ranger's point of view... but its not as horrible as some make it out to be.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:45 PM
marty30brodeur*

Quote:
You didn't address my question. Would you trade a 26 year old Brodeur for these two? Lundqvist has accomplished a hell of a lot more than 90% of the goalies you listed. I fail to see what Cam Ward has to do with anything. There is such an obvious bias against Lundqvist it's ridiculous. I didn't say anything about the trade. I said to post your thoughts on how 90% of the NHL goalies are just as good as Lundqvist, including Stephen Valiquette, and that he is easily replaceable. If goalies are such an easy commodity to come by then why do you love Brodeur so much? After all, wouldn't it have made more sense for the Devils to trade him and gain some forwards?
Lundqvist has been in the league for 3 years. What has he done. Yes 90% of goalies in this league are on par with him. He might be better but not by that much that it will affect if a team wins a playoff series or not. Hes not a generational goalie. And this has nothing to do with brodeur at 26. We all know how brodeurs career ended up. You don't know how lundqvist will remain. Hes way to inconsistent and ranks in the bottom half of GAA and SVP in the whole league. Stop with your lundqvist love affair its silly.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:47 PM
John Torturella

Kane is overrated. I would be hesitant to make this deal. We have a top 3 goalie in the league. That is more important than to forwards. I would not trade Hank without a return of one of Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Iginla or Thornton.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:48 PM
levski87

Quote:
Lundqvist has been in the league for 3 years. What has he done. Yes 90% of goalies in this league are on par with him. He might be better but not by that much that it will affect if a team wins a playoff series or not. Hes not a generational goalie. And this has nothing to do with brodeur at 26. We all know how brodeurs career ended up. You don't know how lundqvist will remain. Hes way to inconsistent and ranks in the bottom half of GAA and SVP in the whole league. Stop with your lundqvist love affair its silly.
Lundqvist led his country to an olympic medal, is a main reason as to why the Rangers are respectable now-a-days. Oh, he was a 3x Vezina finalist. Hes only 26 also.

Hows Brodiver doing over there?... You guys got anyone to replace him? Clemmensen the Savior?

Old
01-16-2009, 10:48 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

In a heartbeat. Heck, i would do it without adding drury and gomez

Valliquette would be a starter on more than half the teams in the NHL. Give him a team that scores over three goals a game and he'll win 40 games. I love Lundqvist but you are basically replacing one franchise player with two.

Old
01-16-2009, 10:49 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Now THAT is funny

Closed Thread