HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who has played his last game for the Flyers?

View Poll Results: Who has played their last game as a Flyer?
Mike Knuble 4 2.90%
Randy Jones 85 61.59%
Glen Metropolit 25 18.12%
Joffrey Lupul 11 7.97%
Andrew Alberts 2 1.45%
Arron Asham 1 0.72%
Daniel Briere 3 2.17%
Scottie Upshall 7 5.07%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-18-2009, 09:54 AM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
philly.com has an article speculating about moves and also what it would mean to Luca Sbisa.

Without Kukkonen (AHL), Kalinski and Gratton (both LTIR) the team only needs a minor salary cut from the line-up to bring Danny back. Sbisa would be the easiest and with the least consequence to cut as he can be sent back to juniors.

I'm really torn about this. I think Sbisa is great, but he needs development and he could accomplish that best in the WHL where he gets first pairing minutes. On the other hand, I'd rather trade away Jones, who has not played very well and would also free up more cap space for next season. But without Jones there is the issue about who is going to play 6th Defenseman. Is there an option to accomplish both?

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 09:59 AM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
message to randy jones....

GTFO!

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:47 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2300
From Bruce Garrioch...

Quote:
http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hock...61916-sun.html

The word is Flyers GM Paul Holmgren is shopping C Daniel Briere and his huge contract. While Briere has extended his rehab assignment from a groin injury with AHL's Phantoms through tonight, Holmgren has been trying to find room for his $6.5-million (all terms US) cap hit. Since finding somebody to take Briere, who has missed 29 of the club's last 30 games, is going to be nearly impossible because he has five years left on his deal, the club will likely have to move D Randy Jones and RW Joffrey Lupul to make room for Briere ...
From Wayne Fish...

Quote:
http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...y-tuesday.html

The day of reckoning for at least one Flyer is almost upon us.

By Tuesday, general manager Paul Holmgren expects to have a recovering Danny Briere back in his lineup.

That means he's going to have to clear off something in excess of $2 million off his payroll to comply with the NHL's $56.7-million salary cap.

One high-profile player might have to be jettisoned via trade or waivers. Or maybe even two.

It's a problem that's been looming over the team since back to last summer. But a convenient series of injuries have kept the Flyers below the limit until now.

"Obviously, there's going to be some player movement,'' Holmgren said in a telephone conversation. "We're going to try do it in the best way we can come out of it.

"So I think we have to look at what's in the best interests of the team now and in the future and move forward.''

Ideally, the Flyers would look to unload salary by trading away a player and getting a draft pick or low-salaried prospect in return.

Problem is, most of the other 29 teams in the NHL have their own salary cap issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfFzODoD7YY
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Trade Jones to LA for one of their millions of Draft picks. They are usually good friends with the flyers considering they have one of our coachs, and took Big Dennis off our hands

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:03 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 871
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Trade Jones to LA for one of their millions of Draft picks. They are usually good friends with the flyers considering they have one of our coachs, and took Big Dennis off our hands
and Ron Hextall is the assistant GM.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Bargain. Add to the fact they usually struggle to get to the salary floor. Hell, we can even give them the money to pay for his contract.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:08 AM
jb**

while it wouldnt solve all the problems, why cote doesnt get mentioned to be waived is beyond me. he adds nothing of value to this team. nothing. yeah he has a big heart and will take on all comers. so what. the results speak for themselves and he is a terribel hockey player. his 650k would be better suited elsewhere.

also having over 6mm in salary tied up in jones and carle is comical and bad use of cap management.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:16 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
while it wouldnt solve all the problems, why cote doesnt get mentioned to be waived is beyond me. he adds nothing of value to this team. nothing. yeah he has a big heart and will take on all comers. so what. the results speak for themselves and he is a terribel hockey player. his 650k would be better suited elsewhere.

also having over 6mm in salary tied up in jones and carle is comical and bad use of cap management.
So who will be our enforcer? Asham or Gratton? . Maybe if one of them wins a fight sometime soon Ill reconsider but at the moment no thanks.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:21 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
So who will be our enforcer? Asham or Gratton? . Maybe if one of them wins a fight sometime soon Ill reconsider but at the moment no thanks.
shake your head all you want. what enforcing does cote do? none is the answer. no one on the other team even cares that he is on the flyers. he doesnt go after anyone when they hit the flyers star players. please tell me the last time he did?gratton is a better player and i would rather have as he can play. cote is a joke. period. they wil both get beat up so giveme the better player

Old
01-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
shake your head all you want. what enforcing does cote do? none is the answer. no one on the other team even cares that he is on the flyers. he doesnt go after anyone when they hit the flyers star players. please tell me the last time he did?gratton is a better player and i would rather have as he can play. cote is a joke. period. they wil both get beat up so giveme the better player

Is this why Laraque called Cote one of the toughest young players in the league? How long do you think Gratton or Asham stay healthy in that role? Some nights, Riley's pugilism is the only thing worth watching on this team.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:29 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I tend to agree with NWO on this one. I'm not saying we should cut Cote because 650K is very insignificant, but it'd be very nice to have a real enforcer and someone who could actually play a little.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:05 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Is this why Laraque called Cote one of the toughest young players in the league? How long do you think Gratton or Asham stay healthy in that role? Some nights, Riley's pugilism is the only thing worth watching on this team.
dont care what he said, i look at the results. just because 1 guy says your tought doesnt change the fact that he is useless. you really think other teams fear cote? my point was if your not going to have a legit heavy then dress someone who can contribute. no one said those 2 have to be in that role. you address it in the off seaosna nd acuire a tough guy. cote isnt him

Old
01-18-2009, 12:23 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Wow Gratton is the better player? Gratton scores one goal and is the better player? You gotta be kidding me. Yes, I agree that Cote isnt a heavyweight, which if we do get one would cost us money. But to say you'd rather have Gratton who so far is around 0/6 in fighting is ridicules. At least Cote tries to fight and has won some, while Gratton gets ***** everytime he tries.

I really would like to know how Gratton is the better player here...

Old
01-18-2009, 12:25 PM
jb**

Quote:
Wow Gratton is the better player? Gratton scores one goal and is the better player? You gotta be kidding me. Yes, I agree that Cote isnt a heavyweight, which if we do get one would cost us money. But to say you'd rather have Gratton who so far is around 0/6 in fighting is ridicules. At least Cote tries to fight and has won some, while Gratton gets ***** everytime he tries.

in a nutshell: better skater, better hitter, better hockey sense, better defensively, better all round skills. who said it has anything to do with him scoring goals

Old
01-18-2009, 12:30 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
in a nutshell: better skater, better hitter, better hockey sense, better defensively, better all round skills. who said it has anything to do with him scoring goals
Sigh... I thought we were talking about enforcers? If we were going to have a regular fourth line, might as bring up ahlers. Fighting wise, Cote > Gratton. Also I hardly notice mistakes by Cote. Dont know why you dislike the guy, but thats your opinion I guess.

Old
01-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:

He is a better role player, he can take a more regular shift, in my opinion.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:36 PM
jb**

Quote:
Sigh... I thought we were talking about enforcers? If we were going to have a regular fourth line, might as bring up ahlers. Fighting wise, Cote > Gratton. Also I hardly notice mistakes by Cote. Dont know why you dislike the guy, but thats your opinion I guess.
that is my point, i would rather have a regular 4th line as cote adds nothing. dotn dislike him at all, he just isnt any good

Old
01-18-2009, 12:38 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
He is a better role player, he can take a more regular shift, in my opinion.
Heh, could be true. I think Gratton played 3rd line mins for a game or so? But I was talking about enforcer wise. If Gratton can take more shifts, might as well bring up a kid from the ahl if we want that. Every team has a enforcer. I just dont see Gratton being our enforcer.

Old
01-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

I agree with all of this. Unfortunately, that puts Gratton 2nd last in the skills department on the Flyers roster. Cote is much better in the enforcer department. Gratton himself admits to this, he knows he's a middleweight, at least Cote is a tough light heavy who can take beatings from Brash and Laraque so our skill guys don't have to. Gratton couldn't last a season in that role. Riley may not be really feared around the NHL but very few heavies are nowadays. By the way, Gratton may be better suited for the role in the playoffs when you don't want to sacrifice any skill and fighting is less evident.

Old
01-18-2009, 12:44 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I agree with all of this. Unfortunately, that puts Gratton 2nd last in the skills department on the Flyers roster. Cote is much better in the enforcer department. Gratton himself admits to this, he knows he's a middleweight, at least Cote is a tough light heavy who can take beatings from Brash and Laraque so our skill guys don't have to. Gratton couldn't last a season in that role. Riley may not be really feared around the NHL but very few heavies are nowadays. By the way, Gratton may be better suited for the role in the playoffs when you don't want to sacrifice any skill and fighting is less evident.
agree with most of what you said. however having cote doesnt take away from any beatings the stars may get imo. cote will not see the ice in the playoffs no doubt. so role out a better 4th line and that doesnt have to include gratton. powe, metro, ?-kalinski-gratton. woudl liek them to acquire chris gratton to center the 4th line

Old
01-18-2009, 12:52 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
agree with most of what you said. however having cote doesnt take away from any beatings the stars may get imo. cote will not see the ice in the playoffs no doubt. so role out a better 4th line and that doesnt have to include gratton. powe, metro, ?-kalinski-gratton. woudl liek them to acquire chris gratton to center the 4th line
I do agree that Cote isnt a heavyweight guy who will win all of fights. I was just making the statemant that enforcer wise, during the season, Id rather have Cote in that role then Gratton. During playoffs though I dont think I would mind Gratton. Id rather have something along a Asham-Powe-Kalinski fourth line though.

Old
01-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

He takes guys like Laraque and Parros and Brashear off the ice. Sometimes it's not pretty to watch but it's a fact of life in hockey and someone has to do it in the regular season. I don't want those guys chasing our stars around. If other teams don't play their heavies in the playoffs then you sit yours. Cote is a necessary evil and a cheap one. He also turns in a real good tilt more often than not. Personally, I enjoy almost all of his fights. He's no hugger, that's for sure.

Old
01-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Heh, could be true. I think Gratton played 3rd line mins for a game or so? But I was talking about enforcer wise. If Gratton can take more shifts, might as well bring up a kid from the ahl if we want that. Every team has a enforcer. I just dont see Gratton being our enforcer.
No, Gratton isn't a heavyweight enforcer, but he's a solid role player who is pretty fearless. He plays the game of hockey better than Cote and that's evidenced by Stevens giving him more shifts in a game than Cote sees in a month. I would feel comfortable with him and Asham taking a 4th line role in the playoffs to throw some hits and develop momentum.

Cote is not an enforcer, either. He is a bigger guy (but not huge) who is fearless, but does not strike fear into the other team's best tough guys. I have the utmost respect for the guy, but one day that fearlessness is going to end his career abruptly, I think.

As for the point of the thread...neither has played their last game as a Flyer.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post

Cote is not an enforcer, either. He is a bigger guy (but not huge) who is fearless, but does not strike fear into the other team's best tough guys. I have the utmost respect for the guy, but one day that fearlessness is going to end his career abruptly, I think.
^ This.

It's only a matter of time before Cote get's Fedoruked which leads to him being Beukeboomed.

The man is tough as nails, and I respect what he does. It's just a shame he doesn't have much success doing it. There's only so many licks the guy can take.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Raffl House

I think it is becoming more and more apparent that the Flyers will not move Jones. Jones hasn't played worth his contract or anything close to it, so his value is mostly non-existant right now.

I think you'll see some little moves -- a few players outrighted to AHL, maybe Sbisa sent back. All this buildup for Jones is probably nothing.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote