HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A possible look at next year's team (discuss)

Old
01-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
A possible look at next year's team (discuss)

Going around this board and the NP.com board, it has become clear that a lot of people are looking to the departure of Devries/Bonk as a chance for us to sign a top 6 winger (at around 3 million or so). Here is a look at next year's finances as best as I could come up with....Feel free to correct me. Below is a list of departures/RFA that I am aware of at this time. Lets play with it a bit and take a look at where we stand....Figures are listed as CAP space, not salaries save for Ortmeyer who doesn't count against the cap but is still costing us 750k.

Next year, possible departures: Devries (2.5 mil), Sullivan (3.2 mil), Ortmeyer (750k), Fiddler (850k), Koistinen (700k), Bonk (1.5 million), Zanon (750k), Ward (500k), Nichol (750k)

Total money departing - 11.5 million

Okay, so what will Poile likely due (NOTE: This is my guess to how Poile would approach the offseason, not my personal preferences, etc.)

- Goodbye Devries, Bonk, Koistinen, and Ortymeyer (5.45 million).
- Resign Fiddler (2-3 years @ 1-1.2 million a year). Lets say a low estimate at 2 years 2.2 million (1.1 million).
- Resign Nichol: 2 years 1.5 million total (750k a year again).
- Resign Ward: 1 year 500k
- Resign Zanon: 2 years, 3 million (1.5 total)
- Total savings: 5.45 - 3.85 = 1.6 million

This is without taking into consideration Steve Sullivan because he is a wild card. Can he play past this year? Will he cost the same or less? Lets say he comes back - I can't see him getting much more than 2 million, so add another 1.2 million to the savings.

Total money to play with heading into next season WITH Steve Sullivan- about 2.8 million. Without - 4.8 million. Lets go forward with him being back on a 1 year 2 million dollar deal.

You now have 2.75 million or so left. This figure doesn't look so appealing anymore. If Radulov comes back, make it 1.75 million. Even if Radulov doesn't come back, you have to figure that Colin Wilson WILL be in Nashville next year. Considering bonuses are counted for rookies - if Wilson does play - we will fulfill all cap requirements by effectively doing nothing but resign a few players, lose a few others, and bringing in Colin Wilson. If Radulov comes back, we would actually be above the cap with the above plan.

It will be an interesting off-season. If Radulov comes back, Wilson joins the team, Jones/Hornqvist/Pihlstrom/Santorelli find spots in the lineup, you could see a very different team....or not. It is entirely possible that Ward isn't back. Nichol, fiddler, or both could leave, but either way the savings would be marginal....just less than 1 million if all three leave when you factor in the replacement price (450k = league minimum). Either way, I think you get the picture. Unless management decides to increase pay-roll by around 3-4 million, we will not add anyone this off-season except for our own players.

Last edited by Enoch: 01-18-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:04 PM
deleted

I really hope Bonk is gone...and Fiddler to. I donno about Wilson playing next season for a couple reasons

1. Trotz
2. If we look at the production from Jones this season we can make a decent guess as to what Wilson will do. At this point in the season Jones had more Goals and Points in NCAA than Wilson has right now.

if we can get Ward for 500 again thats great. Now he's were he should be and is well worth 500,000.

Sully we'll see how the rest of this season goes. Hopefully he can stay healthy and get some pucks in the net that don't hit Bonk while he's staring into the bleachers wondering what he should be doing.

Rads blah

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 04:51 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Current 09/10 lineup minus all UFAs (but NOT RFAs):

Left Wing
David Legwand
Ryan Jones
Antti Pihlstrom
Jordin Tootoo

Center
Jason Arnott
???
???
???

Right Wing
Martin Erat
Jean-Pierre Dumont
Patric Hornqvist
Jerred Smithson
Wade Belak

Defense
Ryan Suter
Shea Weber
Dan Hamhuis
Kevin Klein
Alexander Sulzer
???
???

Goaltenders
Pekka Rinne
Dan Ellis

Legwand-Arnott-Erat
Jones-???-Dumont
Pihlstrom-???-Hornqvist
Tootoo-???-Smithson
Belak, ???

Suter-Weber
Hamhuis-Klein
???-Sulzer
???

Rinne
Ellis

Top Prospects:
Colin Wilson, C (unsigned)
Cal O'Reilly, C (RFA)
Nick Spaling, C/LW
Mike Santorelli, C
Ryan Thang, W (unsigned)
Cody Franson, D
Jonathon Blum, D
Teemu Laakso, D
Chet Pickard, G
Mark Dekanich, G

We could very easily plug some prospects into some of those holes. Wilson on the second line, Santorelli on the third line, Blum or Franson on the third defense pairing. That leaves a 7th defenseman, a 4th line center and one winger, either a middle six guy or a 14th forward. We can bring back Nichol or Fiddler for the 4th line if either wants to return, or even bring up Spaling, so that issue is resolved. Zanon may not be back knowing that he'd be the 7th defenseman, but that position won't be hard to fill. Sullivan could be that 2nd/3rd line winger, re-signed for modest money for a couple of seasons.

So now our team looks like this:

Legwand-Arnott-Erat
Sullivan-Wilson-Dumont
Jones-Santorelli-Hornqvist
Pihlstrom-Nichol/Fiddler-Tootoo
Belak, Smithson

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein/Blum/Sulzer/Franson
Klein/Blum/Sulzer/Franson-Klein/Blum/Sulzer/Franson
Zanon/FA

Rinne
Ellis

And we don't spend a lot of extra money. If Radulov returns, bump Dumont down to the third line to play with Santorelli and Jones (again!).

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:37 PM
dulzhok

And we still suck

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 08:52 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
And we still suck
that;s what I was thinking when I was reading all of that. a repeat of this season is on the horizon.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:16 PM
dulzhok

Our best hope is that Sullivan regains and maintains form, AND that Radulov returns with a desire to play for the Preds.

Depending on the economic climate, many teams could be SEVERELY handicapped next season. That could work to our advantage, but then again, we have Stand Pat Poile, and he's very unlikely to capitalize on it.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:54 AM
braindead

A few little tweaks, though, and this lineup doesn't suck:

Sullivan-Arnott-Dumont
Radulov-Legwand-Erat
Jones-Wilson-Hornqvist
Pihlstrom-Santorelli-Tootoo

Belak, Smithson/Nichol/Ward/Fiddler

Weber-Suter