HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Blisters....Ugh!

Old
01-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Tabascomj

vCash: 500
Blisters....Ugh!

I am sure someone has had this happen. I am breaking in new skates and had them baked already, but I have a few blisters on my right foot. Is there anything that you can recommend to cover them other than a band-aid when I skate next?

I have to help coach my sons IP hockey and will be back on the ice again on Saturday for a few hours and don't want to tear up my feet at practice every few days.

Of course being a barefoot skater does not help, but its what I am used to. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tabascomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 05:50 PM
SJGoalie32

I've found that moleskin bandages and some medical tape do a decent job.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Tabascomj

Where might I pick up some moleskin bandages? Local pharmacy?

Old
01-15-2009, 06:03 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

usually blisters means that the skate is too big. But it might just be too big in a spot or two, if that makes any sense. (like it's the right length, but the heel is too wide, etc)
Baking the skate actually relaxes the material and the skate gets slighter bigger as it molds to your foot.

I would just put band-aids and tape, but you should really be wearing some cotton socks. I don't have link to any article, but the senior guy at my LHS said that skating barefoot isn't really an option with the newer skates as they are so stiff or something like that. But the same guy told me not to buy the specialty hockey socks because they don't hold any moisture and your foot slides around as if you were in bare feet.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:03 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
I've had numerous blisters from shoes, boots, etc. But skates have never been an issue for me. One thing I do is always wear a decent pair of hiking socks. In addition to keeping my feet warm & dry, I think they seem to help preventing blisters.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Tabascomj

Maybe I will give socks a whirl after all these years.

Old
01-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Carl Carlson

Duct tape will stop blisters. It sounds crazy but it seriously works.

Carl Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
nullterm

I'll check later what kind they are. I think they are synthetic material, not cotton or wool. If/why it would help exactly I'm not sure. Extra padding? Better with moisture? Less friction from the synthetics?

I've tried other woolen? socks and they weren't as comfortable.

Old
01-15-2009, 06:45 PM
MikeD

http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/p...p&searchArg=67

you should be able to find it in just about any retail sporting goods store where hiking/running equipment is sold

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:37 PM
PhysicalTorque

It is not very wise to be skating without socks, you can get a staph infection.

Especially those blisters man, rubbing on the skates...

Get thin socks, and wrap some bandages.

Last edited by PhysicalTorque: 01-15-2009 at 07:42 PM.
PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:53 PM
nullterm

http://www.foxsox.com/catalog/produc...ctedstyle=2450

Exactly the kind I have (grey, not that it matters). I've had them for years now (hockey, everyday, backpacking) and are still in great condition. Even when it's warm they still feel great.

41% merino wool, 41% recycled polyester, 16% nylon, 2% spandex

Yeah, don't barefoot it man. I always make sure to have a layer between me and my equipment that I wash between every game, aside from gloves. In addition to properly airing out my equipment in a warm & dry place.

I already got one skin infection above my ankle from roller blading wearing socks that were too short. I went to the Dr and asked "So, I was right for coming in?" He looked at me seriously and said, "Yeah, you really don't want to mess about with MRSA floating around."

Old
01-15-2009, 08:26 PM
MatthewT

When I was younger I always used to wear socks in my skates, but would often get blisters. What I used to do was rub oral-gel on the blisters and it used to get me through the games pain free. Now I dont wear socks inside my skates and that makes the biggest difference in the world to me. Even when I go on my backyard rink I don't wear any socks.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:33 PM
190Octane

This will sound crazy but your answer is women's knee highs. Wearing full panty hose is overkill but if you put some knee highs on under socks you will be golden.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:53 PM
nullterm

Found some interesting articles.

Basically, cotton socks are real bad for causing blisters because they hold moisture. Wet skin increases chances of blisters.

Synthetic material socks draw moisture away from the skin reducing blisters.

http://walking.about.com/od/socks/a/socks022006.htm

http://walking.about.com/od/socks/a/socksvsblisters.htm

Old
01-16-2009, 11:26 AM
EmptyNetter

I agree with everything nullterm has said (ever).

I'll add that your skates will deteriorate faster if you do not wear socks. More sweat is absorbed by the skate, which creates more bacteria that eats at the leather of the skate. I assume it still applies to today's space age materials -- even anti-bacterial linings have a limit.

BTW Moleskin, at least the pads I've seen, is just as thick as a band aid so it's not an advantage in that respect. I use those flexible fabric Band Aids when necessary. The adhesive is a bit stronger than the standard kind so they don't pull loose and float around inside your skate while you're playing.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
+1 for wonmen's knee high. It works, unfortunately

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Bluefan75

ONe thing I was doing in my old skates was wearing techincal socks and a pair of Happy Feet(pretty thick cotton, but man are they comfortable) over top. The technical sock would be dry and the cotton would absorb the moisture but keep it away from my feet. I make sure to air out all the equipment like everyone else has said after playing as well.

My newer skates are a touch narrower so I only wear the technical sock now.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:43 PM
shattuck13

use a nice nylon dress sock or your mom's or wife's panty hose. they work.

shattuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:40 PM
MikeD

So many do prefer to not wear socks and with a small effort they can eliminate any chance of staph or other bacterial infection. Simply mist the interior of the skate with Rubbing Alcohol after each use. 3 parts water to one part Alcohol will do just fine. 3 cups water/1 cup alcohol in a spray bottle can mist ALL of your gear, keeping oder and bacterial concerns a non-issue. Parents with children in any sport should be misting their childs gear after each use. MRSA strains just make it a "must do" thing.

I have used the Cool Max kevlar runners socks for years and even while breaking in new skates(no bake) have not had a single blister. Prior to that I had worn the typical mens non-textured "Dress" sock but they tend to "quit", slide down and bunch at the toes. In any case, you want to prevent any rubbing directly against the skin. Standard tube socks dont work well. They tend to allow the foot to slide around inside the sock. As another poster has said, once wet they tend to stick to the boot liner and let your foot start sliding/rubbing. The coolmax (Nike product, i believe)or other kevlar type socks have a much lower friction coefficient. Even with some slide, there is a less likely chance of developing a blister.

Old
01-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Tabascomj

That does sounds kind of crazy. Did you get some funny looks in the locker room?

Old
01-17-2009, 07:00 PM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabascomj View Post
That does sounds kind of crazy. Did you get some funny looks in the locker room?
I got my balls busted a bit but I'd rather have my teammates joke with me and not have blisters.

The skates I have now are Mission wicked light 1s which are some of the stiffest skates out there I believe so they were a ***** to break in.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:16 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
So many do prefer to not wear socks and with a small effort they can eliminate any chance of staph or other bacterial infection. Simply mist the interior of the skate with Rubbing Alcohol after each use. 3 parts water to one part Alcohol will do just fine. 3 cups water/1 cup alcohol in a spray bottle can mist ALL of your gear, keeping oder and bacterial concerns a non-issue. Parents with children in any sport should be misting their childs gear after each use. MRSA strains just make it a "must do" thing.

I have used the Cool Max kevlar runners socks for years and even while breaking in new skates(no bake) have not had a single blister. Prior to that I had worn the typical mens non-textured "Dress" sock but they tend to "quit", slide down and bunch at the toes. In any case, you want to prevent any rubbing directly against the skin. Standard tube socks dont work well. They tend to allow the foot to slide around inside the sock. As another poster has said, once wet they tend to stick to the boot liner and let your foot start sliding/rubbing. The coolmax (Nike product, i believe)or other kevlar type socks have a much lower friction coefficient. Even with some slide, there is a less likely chance of developing a blister.
What about gloves? Do you mist the outside/palms, or just spray inside?

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 06:44 PM
MikeD

Anywhere you like. Inside the gloves is most important. IF you think you might have picked up some nasty critters after giving your last opponent a face wash...hit the outside too! lol

Old
01-21-2009, 07:21 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Anywhere you like. Inside the gloves is most important. IF you think you might have picked up some nasty critters after giving your last opponent a face wash...hit the outside too! lol
What league do you play in? LOL

Old
01-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Tabascomj

I tried it the other night and the lady's knee high pantyhoses looking things worked. Damn, I would not have believed it until I was on the ice for an hour and a half.

I did get a funny look from my wife when I asked he foe a pair of them though. But it was worth all the crap I took from my players and the assistant coach to not have my feet all wrecked after the game!

Thanks guys!