HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Brad Richards

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Bolt32

vCash: 500
Brad Richards

Well, I believe his contract is expiring this season and if he doesn't resign with Dallas, does anyone else think we should go after him again on a little bit more friendly contract.

I mean I love Richards, even though he looked like in interviews that of a zombie you could tell he busted his ass on the ice game in game out. He would be an awesome play maker to set up Stamkos to help him get his career jumpstarted and it would be great for Vinny to have his best friend back on the club, also providing us with a hell of a number 2 center again....

Honestly, I think he would be a perfect fit, and would love to see him in a bolts jersey again. I know I'm probably just day dreaming but I wanted to see what you all thought about it as well. How would you feel If Richards came back home?

Old
01-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Richards was my favorite bolt and it sucked to see him go but a few problems with this post...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=DAL
(From nhlscap.com)

1. He is under contract through the 2010-2011 Season to Dallas.
2. We need defense, not Forwards. Especially if we are going to spend big money.

Lecavalier, St. Louis, Prospal, Malone, Stamkos, Vrbata (next season if he comes back and finds his game)

I really don't think we have a problem in our top six, it is our D that is downright scary bad. With Downie playing the way he is in the AHL, you have to think he comes into training camp next year with a good chance of becoming a full-time NHLer. If Tampa spends big money this offseason, it better be on Defense, but I think that GMs will be reluctant to spend big money as the cap is going down here soon. (next season or the season after.. I can't remember)

Old
01-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Sear91

Id take him back with a better contract in a heartbeat.

Old
01-17-2009, 12:26 PM
bassassin

He would be a UFA the same year as Marty, so if marty retires then I could see it as it would leave some cap space and a top 6 position free. Although saying that I would prefer to see Marty stay on as long as he wants to even if that means no Richards.

But would still be good to get Richards back.

Old
01-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I loved Richards but cannot see him coming back with Vinny, Halpern and Stamkos as centers.

Old
01-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
I loved Richards but cannot see him coming back with Vinny, Halpern and Stamkos as centers.
Stamkos also played wing in Juniors, Having one of the best play makers in the league as his center, with Stamkos's nose for the net. The kid will get his confidence back, I'll just put it that way....

Old
01-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Stamkos also played wing in Juniors, Having one of the best play makers in the league as his center, with Stamkos's nose for the net. The kid will get his confidence back, I'll just put it that way....
Well even so he would earn quite much and I rather see that money go into some defenseman and who knows if they will cut the wages and with how much. I wouldn't take Richards back if it means Marty has to go.

Old
01-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayiandemond View Post
Id take him back with a better contract in a heartbeat.
Same here. If he can fit in the payroll of the team and his contract is reasonable, they should attempt to bring him back. He's played wing before and could fit in somewhere because he's a great player. But it's what...2 years down the road? We don't know who's going to be here(especially with this transaction happy owners) or what the team will need at that point. Or if he'll even be on the market.

Old
01-17-2009, 08:20 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
I wouldn't take Richards back if it means Marty has to go.
Thank you for being smart and reasonable.

Old
01-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Tackleberry

No way TB could afford his contract. I think he makes $8mil. We dont have the $ and the priority is defensivemen. At the current $6.9mil under the cap, I am sure that the owners will be shopping for d-men before the trade deadline. I would like to see Richie back, but the current situation will not allow him. If he comes down to $2-3mil per year, that may be a possibility. I doubt he will do that though. Actually, dont know if he can do that legally.

Old
01-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Lecavilier_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
No way TB could afford his contract. I think he makes $8mil. We dont have the $ and the priority is defensivemen. At the current $6.9mil under the cap, I am sure that the owners will be shopping for d-men before the trade deadline. I would like to see Richie back, but the current situation will not allow him. If he comes down to $2-3mil per year, that may be a possibility. I doubt he will do that though. Actually, dont know if he can do that legally.
The cap will being going down after next year, so they really shouldn't spend to the cap.

Roberts, Jokinen, Recchi, Ward, Koci, Pettinger, Malik, Eminger, Krajicek, Lundin, Niskala, Kolzig. Those are all the contracts that are up this year, some will get raises, some won't resign, some may even be traded at the deadline, who knows. The fact is, I am not sure this team has the money to go out and try to land a big free agent D-Man this coming off season. It depends on how much they are speculating the cap to be going down.

Next year we will have the following players signed in our lineup:

Malone - Lecavalier - St. Louis
Prospal - Stamkos - XXXXX
XXXXX - Halpern - Artyukhin
XXXXX - Craig - Hall

Meszaros - Ranger
XXXXX - XXXXX
XXXXX - XXXXX

Smith
XXXXX

*If Vrbata comes back it will take up one forward slot and $3 Million.

We will have $21 762 500 in cap space under the current cap number.

We have 21 Million to get: 1 Backup Goaltender (Maybe Ramo full time?), 4 Defensemen, 3 Forwards.

Mind, you some of the RFAs will be re-signed so that will filly many of the gaps, but money will dissipate quick and I am not even sure if we have enough to get a defenseman this off season, let alone start planning to get Richards with the cap going down. To me, Jokinen, Pettinger, Eminger, Lundin should all be re-signed, which would leave: 1 Forward (0 if Vrbata Comes back), 2 Defense. It is hard to see what they are going to do. My guess is they are going to end up overpaying someone like a Nick Boynton or Derek Morris to our "#1 D" which definitely won't work.

Last edited by Lecavilier_4: 01-18-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old
01-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
The cap will being going down after next year, so they really shouldn't spend to the cap.

Roberts, Jokinen, Recchi, Ward, Koci, Pettinger, Malik, Eminger, Krajicek, Lundin, Niskala, Kolzig. Those are all the contracts that are up this year, some will get raises, some won't resign, some may even be traded at the deadline, who knows. The fact is, I am not sure this team has the money to go out and try to land a big free agent D-Man this coming off season. It depends on how much they are speculating the cap to be going down.

Next year we will have the following players signed in our lineup:

Malone - Lecavalier - St. Louis
Prospal - Stamkos - XXXXX
XXXXX - Halpern - Artyukhin
XXXXX - Craig - Hall

Meszaros - Ranger
XXXXX - XXXXX
XXXXX - XXXXX

Smith
XXXXX

*If Vrbata comes back it will take up one forward slot and $3 Million.

We will have $21 762 500 in cap space under the current cap number.

We have 21 Million to get: 1 Backup Goaltender (Maybe Ramo full time?), 4 Defensemen, 3 Forwards.

Mind, you some of the RFAs will be re-signed so that will filly many of the gaps, but money will dissipate quick and I am not even sure if we have enough to get a defenseman this off season, let alone start planning to get Richards with the cap going down. To me, Jokinen, Pettinger, Eminger, Lundin should all be re-signed, which would leave: 1 Forward (0 if Vrbata Comes back), 2 Defense. It is hard to see what they are going to do. My guess is they are going to end up overpaying someone like a Nick Boynton or Derek Morris to our "#1 D" which definitely won't work.
Ill piggy-back on this a little bit. Eminger will most likely be re-signed. And you can most likely plug in Downie or Schechurrurahahaha as one of the forwards. And no need to spend on a backup goaltender when Ramo can be re-signed for cheap.

So as far as I see i right now:

Prospal - Vinny - Marty
Malone - Stammer - XXXX/Arty
Downie - Halpern - XXXX/Arty
Craig - Hall - Schechurrahahauraahah

Meszaros - Ranger
Eminger - XXXX
Any combination of Lundin, Smaby, Mihalik, Quick, UFA's, etc...

Smith
Ramo

So I see it as us needing 1 foward and 2 defensemen. If we will be about $22mil under the current cap, I guess we will spend about $3-5mil in re-signs. So that outs us at about $15-17mil under. If you take away anywhere between $5-10mil due to the cap decreasing, that leaves us at about $10mil to get 1 forward and 2 defensemen.

Now $10mil is worst case scenario, but they could either sign one big name UFA or a couple middle of the road UFA's.

Old
01-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
Ill piggy-back on this a little bit. Eminger will most likely be re-signed. And you can most likely plug in Downie or Schechurrurahahaha as one of the forwards. And no need to spend on a backup goaltender when Ramo can be re-signed for cheap.

So as far as I see i right now:

Prospal - Vinny - Marty
Malone - Stammer - XXXX/Arty
Downie - Halpern - XXXX/Arty
Craig - Hall - Schechurrahahauraahah

Meszaros - Ranger
Eminger - XXXX
Any combination of Lundin, Smaby, Mihalik, Quick, UFA's, etc...

Smith
Ramo

So I see it as us needing 1 foward and 2 defensemen. If we will be about $22mil under the current cap, I guess we will spend about $3-5mil in re-signs. So that outs us at about $15-17mil under. If you take away anywhere between $5-10mil due to the cap decreasing, that leaves us at about $10mil to get 1 forward and 2 defensemen.

Now $10mil is worst case scenario, but they could either sign one big name UFA or a couple middle of the road UFA's.
That offense is not very good. And the defense, depending on who they sign, still isnt very good. We really do lack quality depth on this team.

I dont want to see it happen, but looking at that lineup makes you kind of think twice about not wanting to trade Vinny for some kind of real good return like:

A. Kostitsyn, S. Kostitsyn, Plekanec, + a pick or prospects.

A lineup of \/ might be a lot better:

Malone - Plekanec - Marty
Kostitsyn - Stamkos - Kostitsyn
Prospal - Halpern - Arty
Downie - Draig - Hall

Meszaros - Ranger
Eminger - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX

Smith
Ramo

Old
01-18-2009, 11:02 AM
txpd

Halpern's contract expires after next season, doesn't it? I would think next season will be a rebuilding season for TB again and that Halpern would be traded at the deadline.

Old
01-18-2009, 01:58 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Halpern's contract expires after next season, doesn't it? I would think next season will be a rebuilding season for TB again and that Halpern would be traded at the deadline.
I doubt next season is rebuilding again, have you been watching the team since Marty called them out? I mean apart from the last 40 minutes last night they have been great. If they had played like this all season they would be in the playoff spots right now.

Also rebuilding isnt just about having young players, it is about having the right mentors/vet leadership for them, so even if it is rebuild time (which I highly doubt) Halpern is the right kind of vet to keep around.

Old
01-18-2009, 02:06 PM
bassassin

My take on next years lineup:

Prospal-Lecavalier-Downie (he is NHL ready NOW)
Malone-Halpern-St.Louis
Szczechura-Stamkos-Artyukhin (speed smarts and R2 now thats a line)
Pettinger-Craig-Hall (this line has been great I dont see any reason to change it so yes resign Pettinger)
Jokinen/Smolenak as the extras

Ranger-XXXXX
Meszaros-Eminger
Smaby-Quick/Lundin/etc etc
XXXX (vet cheap UFA)

Smith
Ramo

So yeah jettison Kolzig, Roberts, Recchi (although he has been damn good) Krajicek, Koci etc etc for picks/prospects/bag of pucks at deadline. Try to trade for top 4 dman maybe or if not wait for UFA and go for a legit top pairing/top 4 dman.

Old
01-18-2009, 02:28 PM
paperclip maniac

I don't know, the coaching staff seems to hate Ramo, at least that's what Cap Raeder was saying...hopefully they don't get rid of him...

Old
01-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Tackleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclip maniac View Post
I don't know, the coaching staff seems to hate Ramo, at least that's what Cap Raeder was saying...hopefully they don't get rid of him...
there is the possibility that Ramo could be traded. There is Helenius at Norfolk. He is supposed to be a rising star??? We shall see. Since TB doesnt have a good goalie development system, Ramo may WANT to be traded.

Old
01-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Lecavilier_4

Quote:
Ill piggy-back on this a little bit. ....
Quote:
That offense is not very good. And the defense, depending on who they sign, still isnt very good. We really do lack quality depth on this team. .......
Why did you post one thing... quote yourself, disagree with the assesment, in the very next post? Ummm... Schizo much?

Old
01-19-2009, 01:38 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

As far as being able to part with Marty and gain Richie hypothetically, although I love Marty, we have to consider a few things. 1) Richie is younger 2) he'd be great to have back as the PP QB and 3) he'd have chemistry with Vinny. But in any case, we need a puck moving defenseman and another stay at home defenseman before we consider more forwards.

Old
01-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Bolts f4n

Send a message via AIM to Bolts f4n
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
As far as being able to part with Marty and gain Richie hypothetically, although I love Marty, we have to consider a few things. 1) Richie is younger 2) he'd be great to have back as the PP QB and 3) he'd have chemistry with Vinny. But in any case, we need a puck moving defenseman and another stay at home defenseman before we consider more forwards.
Richie wouldn't have chemistry with Vinny except on the PP as Richards is a center, as is Vinny. Vinny would be the #1 center, Richie the #2. They wouldn't play together. Stamkos will be groomed to be the #2 center 2 seasons from now when Halpern's contract is up, and eventually the #1 center when his talent level and smarts surpasses Vinny's as Vinny ages.

Old
01-19-2009, 05:51 PM
LecavaYeahBaby

Send a message via AIM to LecavaYeahBaby Send a message via Yahoo to LecavaYeahBaby Send a message via Skype™ to LecavaYeahBaby
It has been my prediction since he was traded that he will sign back here in 2011. I still firmly believe Marty and Vinny will retire here as a Bolt, and i believe the same about Richards. He will come back the year Marty's contract expires. Marty will sign back as well but for 3-4 mil since he will be winding down at that point. Richards should take 5-6 and we should be able to pay that. Can't be 100% certain though because hopefully Stamkos develops and he'll then be due for a raise. Brad's always wanted to be here so i think he'll take a little less....especially if Vinny is still here.

Old
01-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts f4n View Post
Richie wouldn't have chemistry with Vinny except on the PP as Richards is a center, as is Vinny. Vinny would be the #1 center, Richie the #2. They wouldn't play together.
They played on the same line in juniors so it's not an outrageous suggestion they play on the same line.

Old
01-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LecavaYeahBaby View Post
It has been my prediction since he was traded that he will sign back here in 2011. I still firmly believe Marty and Vinny will retire here as a Bolt, and i believe the same about Richards. He will come back the year Marty's contract expires. Marty will sign back as well but for 3-4 mil since he will be winding down at that point. Richards should take 5-6 and we should be able to pay that. Can't be 100% certain though because hopefully Stamkos develops and he'll then be due for a raise. Brad's always wanted to be here so i think he'll take a little less....especially if Vinny is still here.
I hope your right. Richards is probably my second favorite player behind Marty. Ive been told I play similar to Richards (Without the talent obviously.) He seems the ice well and just has awesome hockey IQ. If he decides to take a few million less, we be dumb not to sign him. Though, I may be biased since I really do want to see him finish his career here, he belongs in Tampa........

Old
01-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Tackleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LecavaYeahBaby View Post
It wouldnt be bad to get him back. Dont think that we could afford $5-6 mil. If Marty makes $3-4mil and scoring more pts than Richards, how is Richards worth $5-6 mil??

Hypothetically, if I were GM, I would only offer him the same as MSL in the summer of 2011. Estimate around $3.5-4mil each.

Closed Thread