HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With all these goalies being traded, moved, etc...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2009, 01:51 PM
  #1
FromDubiToZherdev*
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Country: Malta
Posts: 2,379
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
With all these goalies being traded, moved, etc...

Do you think Vally is on the market? He is obviously better than Garon and Dubielewicz(no bias). He is solid and I think he can get packaged with someone for some extra offense. Wiikman can be a backup. Thoughts?

Please don't flame

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 01:52 PM
  #2
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,830
vCash: 145
Awards:
If you're serious about making a push for the playoffs, you don't trade your established backup and hand the job to someone who may or may not be able to handle the job.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 02:00 PM
  #3
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,011
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
Do you think Vally is on the market? He is obviously better than Garon and Dubielewicz(no bias). He is solid and I think he can get packaged with someone for some extra offense. Wiikman can be a backup. Thoughts?

Please don't flame
Probably not.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 02:00 PM
  #4
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Why is he obviously better than either of them? Don't get me wrong, I like him and think he's a solid back up, but what are you basing him being better than them on?

Garon has been a starter in this league for two different teams, while Valiquette's career was basically done until the Rangers took a chance on him.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 02:01 PM
  #5
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If you're serious about making a push for the playoffs, you don't trade your established backup and hand the job to someone who may or may not be able to handle the job.
on the other hand, if lundqvist goes down, so do any rangers hopes of a playoff run. and we should make the playoffs no matter who is backup.

but anyway even with his stock as high as ever, the return won't be much more than a 3rd rounder, and he certainly won't be a centerpiece in a trade for a real scoring winger.

so all in all it's probably just not worth it.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 02:05 PM
  #6
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Why the hell would he be on the market? The 10 or so games he plays could be the difference between getting the 2nd seed or getting the 7th. Wiikman hasn't played a single minute in the NHL. We have no idea how he would do.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 02:22 PM
  #7
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,665
vCash: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
Do you think Vally is on the market? He is obviously better than Garon and Dubielewicz(no bias). He is solid and I think he can get packaged with someone for some extra offense. Wiikman can be a backup. Thoughts?

Please don't flame
Obviously better than Garon? Really?

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 02:23 PM
  #8
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,873
vCash: 500
Why on earth would you move him? He's one of the better backups in the NHL, isnt making a massive salary, and is one of the few Rangers I dont loathe. I actually feel bad for the guy.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 02:54 PM
  #9
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Why on earth would you move him? He's one of the better backups in the NHL, isnt making a massive salary, and is one of the few Rangers I dont loathe. I actually feel bad for the guy.
Why do you feel bad for him? He was a career nobody, signed with the Rangers in the AHL and got his chance after Weekes got hurt, has been surpassed even his own expectations, and couldn't be happier to be with the Rangers. There's nothing to feel bad about.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:08 PM
  #10
045NYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
Do you think Vally is on the market? He is obviously better than Garon and Dubielewicz(no bias). He is solid and I think he can get packaged with someone for some extra offense. Wiikman can be a backup. Thoughts?

Please don't flame
i was thinking about this quite a while ago, then he played that game against Toronto and let up 4 or 5 goals in the third. he is a legit back-up, i doubt he would ever be able to handle a starting position. but look at Clemmenson on the Devs. so i guess you never know.

045NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:48 PM
  #11
2 Late 2 Anton
Registered User
 
2 Late 2 Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 753
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 2 Late 2 Anton Send a message via MSN to 2 Late 2 Anton
No way, Valiquette isn't going anywhere. He's one of the best back-ups in the league, seems to be happy here, at least content with his role, and happy with the team. We'll see this summer, though. He only signed a one year contract last year, so who knows. I'd love to have him back, but he's due for a raise, and the Rangers are in a salary cap stranglehold. If he takes another year or more for a similar payout, that'd be awesome, but I'm sure he'll have a lot options open come July first.

2 Late 2 Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:49 PM
  #12
FromDubiToZherdev*
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Country: Malta
Posts: 2,379
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Like I said, your thoughts. We would trade him in a package for a young winger ideally.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 04:12 PM
  #13
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,405
vCash: 500
and replace him with who? we have no goalie prospect ready to take the spot. We'll have to find a goalie elsewhere and then the sellers become the buyers.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 05:31 PM
  #14
qwertyaas
LGR@
 
qwertyaas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Why on earth would you move him? He's one of the better backups in the NHL, isnt making a massive salary, and is one of the few Rangers I dont loathe. I actually feel bad for the guy.
He speaks the truth. Vally seems to be content with his roll as well on the team. Him and Henrik have a great relationship it looks like.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 06:02 PM
  #15
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
on the other hand, if lundqvist goes down, so do any rangers hopes of a playoff run. and we should make the playoffs no matter who is backup.

but anyway even with his stock as high as ever, the return won't be much more than a 3rd rounder, and he certainly won't be a centerpiece in a trade for a real scoring winger.

so all in all it's probably just not worth it.
I think you vastly overestimate the value of a backup goaltender who's turning 32 this year and has played in a total of 35 NHL games.

He's worth a lot more to the Rangers than whatever his (minimal) value as trade bait.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:20 AM
  #16
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I think you vastly overestimate the value of a backup goaltender who's turning 32 this year and has played in a total of 35 NHL games.

He's worth a lot more to the Rangers than whatever his (minimal) value as trade bait.
that's basically what i'm saying. i just thought of the 3rd rounder when i looked what garon fetched: 4th rounder + sabourin + stone. probably vally will only fetch the 4th, but anyway, even a 3rd isn't worth more than vally to the rangers, that's for sure.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 02:17 PM
  #17
Garfinkel1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 3,446
vCash: 500
I think so. I have been saying this for a while now. Maybe not traded by himself but packed with one of our forwards and a decent draft pick for an upgrade would be a nice trade. However, I would NOT trade him without asking him if he is comfortable with this trade. He has been nothing less than Amazing for this organization working hard and studying every chance he gets.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 02:26 PM
  #18
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Wiikman hasn't even proven himself a capable and consistent AHL starter yet. There's no way you trade Vally.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 02:31 PM
  #19
Garfinkel1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 3,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Wiikman hasn't even proven himself a capable and consistent AHL starter yet. There's no way you trade Vally.
Yeah but post-trade deadline do you really need a back up goalie. I am all about the playoffs. The way I see it the regular season is the place to find your groove and try out new and different strategies until you find what works best. If we could trade our backup for an upgrade upfront then it could be a good idea. I mean, How many games will our backup play in the playoffs really?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 02:46 PM
  #20
GregNYR19
agitator
 
GregNYR19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
nah im good thanks

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 03:03 PM
  #21
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Yeah but post-trade deadline do you really need a back up goalie. I am all about the playoffs. The way I see it the regular season is the place to find your groove and try out new and different strategies until you find what works best. If we could trade our backup for an upgrade upfront then it could be a good idea. I mean, How many games will our backup play in the playoffs really?
All of them, if god forbid something were to happen to Henrik.

Take a look around the league at how many starting goalies have missed time with injuries this year. Just cause it hasn't happened to us yet doesn't mean it won't.

The Rangers have suffered only 10 man games lost to injury. By comparison, the Islanders have had over 270. The Rangers luck won't last an entire season. Depth is a good thing.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 04:19 PM
  #22
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
All of them, if god forbid something were to happen to Henrik.

Take a look around the league at how many starting goalies have missed time with injuries this year. Just cause it hasn't happened to us yet doesn't mean it won't.

The Rangers have suffered only 10 man games lost to injury. By comparison, the Islanders have had over 270. The Rangers luck won't last an entire season. Depth is a good thing.
but if henrik goes down, this team will go nowhere in the playoffs anyway, doesn't matter if it's vally or wiikman (well this team probably won't go anywhere in the playoffs even with lundy...)
still, the return just will be too low, so simply no need to trade vally

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 04:26 PM
  #23
otto1219
Registered User
 
otto1219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
Vally has never played more than 13 games in a year, what makes people think he is capable of being a number 1. i know people can make the argument for clemmensen, and some other backups, but nothing is guaranteed. In terms of a solid backup, hes great, but what value does that have? a 5th round pick? id keep vally.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 04:46 PM
  #24
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,136
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Wiikman is having trouble being consistent as the #1 in the AHL, he can't be the Rangers back up just yet.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:01 PM
  #25
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
that's basically what i'm saying. i just thought of the 3rd rounder when i looked what garon fetched: 4th rounder + sabourin + stone. probably vally will only fetch the 4th, but anyway, even a 3rd isn't worth more than vally to the rangers, that's for sure.
I would think he wouldn't fetch much more than LaBarbera did (a 7th rounder). Jason is younger and has much more NHL experience.

I really don't understand why anyone wants to trade Valiquette. He's perfect for the role he's been asked to fill. Unless the Rangers are thinking about upgrading the position for next season and have the opportunity to that at the trade deadline (sending Valiquette in the exchange), I really don't think Valiquette will be on the market during the season.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.