HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

6 Back - What Do You Do?

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Well Miro's value has jumped with Jeff O's injury...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=75532&hubName=nhl

This says something for Regier's patience.
Zhitnik's value must be way up there considering that Malakhov brought a 2nd and a prospect and Therien brought a 3rd and an 8th. I think Darcy's got to deal Alex if he can't get his name on a contract in the next few hours. They can always try to re-sign him in the offseason. I have a bad feeling the Sabres are going to come up empty if they hang onto Zhitnik unsigned.

Old
03-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
If some of the trades that have gone down the last couple days are any indication, Regier has to be getting so very enticing offers right around now.

Old
03-08-2004, 02:30 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund
Montreal will take those guys off your hands! How about a first Hossa and Hainsey
Komisarek and Kastitsyn.

Old
03-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I'd avoid giving up assets for short term returns (eg rental players) for a playoff bid and look to build a solid top 4 on the blueline. The goal should be longterm improvement. Rachunek and Morris would be my targets with Zhitnik, McKee, Satan and Brown as the main bait. This team, particularly the defense, needs a makeover. Bringing in a rental player isn't going to bring them any closer to a cup.
Agreed.

And call me crazy, and I guess you too, but Satan+ for Morris is a real possibility IMO. It makes sense in almost every way.

Old
03-08-2004, 02:33 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
If some of the trades that have gone down the last couple days are any indication, Regier has to be getting so very enticing offers right around now.
At the same time, some teams no longer need to deal because they've already filled their needs.

Old
03-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Komisarek and Kastitsyn.
Wouldn't that be nice! I highly doubt that Montreal would consider it though.

Old
03-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Zhitnik's value must be way up there considering that Malakhov brought a 2nd and a prospect and Therien brought a 3rd and an 8th. I think Darcy's got to deal Alex if he can't get his name on a contract in the next few hours. They can always try to re-sign him in the offseason. I have a bad feeling the Sabres are going to come up empty if they hang onto Zhitnik unsigned.
Agree 110%.

Old
03-08-2004, 02:41 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Agree 110%.
It shows that Regier knows the right time to deal players.

Old
03-08-2004, 02:44 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
At the same time, some teams no longer need to deal because they've already filled their needs.
True, but one team that leaps to mind who's been trying to get scoring all season and hasn't yet is Vancouver. I think if Bryan Allen's ever going to be a Sabre, this is the best chance to get him.

Old
03-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Yep. And like I posted earlier, the O'Neill injury and Miro's subsequent value push is also a testament to his patience. You can bag the guy, as I do at times, but there's also something to appreciate here.

But he has to do something!!

Old
03-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Takeo

Scott Cullen speculates that Vancouver, Dallas, and San Jose are possible destinations for Miro.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=75543

Considering we're "only" 6 back, I'd be shocked if he is dealt in the Eastern Conference...

Old
03-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Regier doesn't wait until the last minute because it's the right time. He does it because he can't make up his mind what's the right thing to do and eventually the clock runs out and he has to do something. It shows that Regier lacks the vision and confidence to make the sort of proactive moves that are required to build a winner. His statements about whether the Sabres are a buyer, a seller, or are in between are the rumblings of a jellyfish. The man should have a plan from day 1 and should be making deals all along to achieve it.

Old
03-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Scott Cullen speculates that Vancouver, Dallas, and San Jose are possible destinations for Miro.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=75543

Considering we're "only" 6 back, I'd be shocked if he is dealt in the Eastern Conference...
Hey, thanks for the link. I just wished they mentioned some of the players that might be offered for Miro. It doesn't give us too much information that we didn't already know, which is Satan is available and teams want him. I really liked the part that said "He may just be the biggest chip left in the poker game that is the NHL trade deadline".

Old
03-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Regier doesn't wait until the last minute because it's the right time. He does it because he can't make up his mind what's the right thing to do and eventually the clock runs out and he has to do something. It shows that Regier lacks the vision and confidence to make the sort of proactive moves that are required to build a winner. His statements about whether the Sabres are a buyer, a seller, or are in between are the rumblings of a jellyfish. The man should have a plan from day 1 and should be making deals all along to achieve it.
I'd much rather Darcy wait and get the most for our assets than ditch away everything we have for nothing. Whether you like it or not, this is a small market team that relies on getting the most out of its players. That may mean on the ice or in trades. We don't have the money, like a number of teams to just go out and buy a player to fill the void left by a bad move. If a few weeks means getting Ott and Erskine over just Erskine for Satan (or something like that) then I'm not going to complain.

Old
03-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5
I'd much rather Darcy wait and get the most for our assets than ditch away everything we have for nothing. Whether you like it or not, this is a small market team that relies on getting the most out of its players. That may mean on the ice or in trades. We don't have the money, like a number of teams to just go out and buy a player to fill the void left by a bad move. If a few weeks means getting Ott and Erskine over just Erskine for Satan (or something like that) then I'm not going to complain.
Like when he waited with Peca and could have had Iginla?

Old
03-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Like when he waited with Peca and could have had Iginla?
Well I'm sorry but I don't remember any talk about getting Iginla, but I do know that the Islanders were just going to give up Connolly. Regier waited and got them to throw in Pyatt. Neither of them have done much yet, but at only 22 there's plenty of time for them to make this trade greatly in our favor. Besides, if we did get Iginla, do you really think they would have been able to afford him?

Old
03-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:

You know I heard those statements during one of the WNSA breaks and I don't really get what the fuss is about them. Regier said some teams are clearly buyers, some teams are clearly sellers [which I believe he's basing on who has moved what so far, but that's just a guess] and some teams are in some sort of middle ground. Well, he's right. He didn't say that he didn't know what the Sabres were, he just said they were in a category that was neither an obvious buyer or obvious seller. Would you rather he had said that the Sabres were going to sell off or buy? How does that help his position? Why does it really matter anyway? He sounded like a man that knows where the Sabres lie but we'll find out by tomorrow afternoon.

Old
03-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
You know I heard those statements during one of the WNSA breaks and I don't really get what the fuss is about them. Regier said some teams are clearly buyers, some teams are clearly sellers [which I believe he's basing on who has moved what so far, but that's just a guess] and some teams are in some sort of middle ground. Well, he's right. He didn't say that he didn't know what the Sabres were, he just said they were in a category that was neither an obvious buyer or obvious seller. Would you rather he had said that the Sabres were going to sell off or buy? How does that help his position? Why does it really matter anyway? He sounded like a man that knows where the Sabres lie but we'll find out by tomorrow afternoon.
The Sabres haven't made ANY deals since the season started. They're the only team in the league not to make a deal. This is a team that's struggled to stay within shouting distance of a playoff spot and Regier has done nothing to address it's weaknesses. Look at all the moves the Flames have made under Sutter who knows what he wants and isn't afraid to go out and get it. Now all the sudden we're going to praise Regier because he sat on his hands all season and might get a better return?

Old
03-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
I'd rather Regier not say anything and he actually did something for a change. It doesn't matter much what he says anymore, as the circumstances are beyond his control.

Old
03-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Well I'm sorry but I don't remember any talk about getting Iginla, but I do know that the Islanders were just going to give up Connolly. Regier waited and got them to throw in Pyatt. Neither of them have done much yet, but at only 22 there's plenty of time for them to make this trade greatly in our favor. Besides, if we did get Iginla, do you really think they would have been able to afford him?
It was widely reported that Iginla was offered for Peca at the deadline. The Sabres definitely could have afforded Iginla's $1.7 million salary at the time. They could have traded Iginla for a much higher return than Peca after he scored 50+ goals and he had to be payed the big bucks.

Old
03-08-2004, 05:16 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
It was widely reported that Iginla was offered for Peca at the deadline. The Sabres definitely could have afforded Iginla's $1.7 million salary at the time. They could have traded Iginla for a much higher return than Peca after he scored 50+ goals and he had to be payed the big bucks.
Darcy also turned down Koviu and a 1st for Peca

Old
03-08-2004, 06:19 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Waiting can also cause you to get less, as assets don't have the chance to appreciate in value (like our goalies).

Old
03-08-2004, 06:21 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
True, but one team that leaps to mind who's been trying to get scoring all season and hasn't yet is Vancouver. I think if Bryan Allen's ever going to be a Sabre, this is the best chance to get him.
I was thinking Jason Smith specifically. As soon as Markkanen went to Edmonton, that deal died.

We better be getting Cooke back in that deal too. I would prefer to deal for a RD rather than a LD.

Old
03-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Waiting can also cause you to get less, as assets don't have the chance to appreciate in value (like our goalies).
Potential suitors can also back out at the last minute. God I hope he knows what he's doing.

Old
03-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Takeo

Rachunek is a scratch tonight.

http://www.nhl.com/onthefly/scoreboa...s/ES021025.HTM

Closed Thread