HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

panthers this season

Old
09-08-2008, 10:05 PM
rajvandam
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
panthers this season

what place will they finish in the eastern conference standings this season?

rajvandam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 10:33 PM
sinDer

8th

and the Canadians will finish 1st

so my dream will come true; Panthers will play the Montreal canadians in playoffs

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajvandam View Post
what place will they finish in the eastern conference standings this season?
No offense, but we have several threads on this subject.

09-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

I still think there will be a few moves made by some teams before camps start, but if the season started with all the rosters as they currently are, I say the standings end up like this:

1.Montreal
2.Pittsburgh
3.Washington
4.Philly
5.Boston
6.Florida
7.New Jersey
8.Ottawa

9.Rangers
10.Carolina
11.Buffalo
12.Tampa
13.Toronto
14.Islanders
15.Atlanta

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 01:04 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
I still think there will be a few moves made by some teams before camps start, but if the season started with all the rosters as they currently are, I say the standings end up like this:

1.Montreal
2.Pittsburgh
3.Washington
4.Philly
5.Boston
6.Florida
7.New Jersey
8.Ottawa

9.Rangers
10.Carolina
11.Buffalo
12.Tampa
13.Toronto
14.Islanders
15.Atlanta
I dont like the Sens situation in goal at all, and I dont like the Kuba/Meszaros swap either. So I think the Rangers make the playoffs before they do.

1. Montreal
2. Pitt
3. Washington
4. NJ
5. Rangers
6. Philly
7. Panthers
8. Carolina
9. Boston
10. Ottawa
11. Buffalo
12. Tampa
13. Toronto
14. Atlanta
15. NYI

Yup, thats right, three teams make the playoffs from the SE. I think its a plus that we play each team in the division two less times this season, even though I liked last seasons scheduling better.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Little outside the box...

1.Philly
2.Washington
3.Boston
4.Pittsburgh
5.Montreal
6.Florida
7.Carolina
8.New Jersey

9.Rangers
10.Ottawa
11.Buffalo
12.Tampa
13.Toronto
14.Atlanta
15.Islanders

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 09:35 AM
drwmike

1. Montreal
2. Pitt
3. Washington
4. NJ
5. Rangers
6. Philly
7. Ottawa
8. Carolina
9. Boston
10. Panthers
11. Buffalo
12. Tampa
13. Toronto
14. Atlanta
15. NYI

I hope the Panthers make the playoffs though

drwmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Here are my picks! We would play the Caps in the 1st round!!!

1. Montreal
2. Pitt
3. Washington
4. Philly
5. NY Rangers
6. Panthers
7. NJ
8. Boston
9. Ottawa
10. Buffalo
11. Carolina
12. Tampa
13. Atlanta
14. NYI
15. Toronto

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 06:30 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Wow I cant believe some of your opinions...strange if you ask me but to each their own. The 2 things that hit me moreso:

1. Everyone seems to think Washington is the team to win the SE division. Why? Big question mark with Theodore and they didnt do much to improve the team. I like Ovechkin like the next hockey fan but Carolina goes out and re-tools half their defense and only missed winning the division/making the playoffs by 2 pts. That while missing their captain in Brind'Amour and missing one of their best scorers Williams for much of the yr. They're my pick to win the SE.
2. Boston is out of the playoffs or barely in on some of you lists? That makes zero sense to me. They regain the services of Patrice Bergeron, add Ryder (who excelled under Julien in the past and will again), and saw a lot of improvement from youngsters late in the yr (Kessel, Krejci, Lucic). I seriously think they will be competing with Montreal to win the NE.

I think Ottawa, Florida, NY Rangers and Washington are the teams fighting for the #7 & #8 positions in the Eastern Conference. But I still have this suspicion that Tampa makes a deal for a veteran, stay-at-home d-man and may make a push for the playoffs this season.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I dont like the Sens situation in goal at all, and I dont like the Kuba/Meszaros swap either. So I think the Rangers make the playoffs before they do.

1. Montreal
2. Pitt
3. Washington
4. NJ
5. Rangers
6. Philly
7. Panthers
8. Carolina
9. Boston
10. Ottawa
11. Buffalo
12. Tampa
13. Toronto
14. Atlanta
15. NYI

Yup, thats right, three teams make the playoffs from the SE. I think its a plus that we play each team in the division two less times this season, even though I liked last seasons scheduling better.
I don't like the Sens' goaltending either, but they still have a top 6 forward group that most teams would kill to have, and their defense is still solid. Kuba is a downgrade from Meszaros, but not a big one. Kuba should probably rebound this year playing on a solid blueline instead of the abomination he was playing on last season.

I still think the Rangers are a good team, but the East is going to be so tight this year and some teams have to be on the outs. I think it could potentially be pretty close between spots 6-11, and Tampa and Toronto might not be that far behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
1. Everyone seems to think Washington is the team to win the SE division. Why? Big question mark with Theodore and they didnt do much to improve the team. I like Ovechkin like the next hockey fan but Carolina goes out and re-tools half their defense and only missed winning the division/making the playoffs by 2 pts. That while missing their captain in Brind'Amour and missing one of their best scorers Williams for much of the yr. They're my pick to win the SE.
Theodore is definitely a question mark, but I think he'll still do well enough to allow the Caps to take the division. The Caps went almost 5 months with Kolzig, and I don't think Theo will be any worse than him. I could potentially, although this is a bit of a stretch, see Theo bombing and the Caps having to then fight just to get into the playoffs, but I really don't think that will happen. The Caps couldn't really do much to improve the team from the outside because after signing Fedorov you knew they'd be close to the cap. They will bring up guys like Alzner and Lepisto however, who both come highly regarded and could improve their blueline by quite a bit.

You talk about Carolina's injuries, but what about Nylander and Clark missing significant time? And Backstrom didn't really come into his own until the second half, he should be better this year over a full season. Carolina, even though they re-tooled half their defense, it's still average at best. Pitkanen should put up points for sure, but he's not exactly a rock on defense. Gleason is the only d-man they have that can be looked upon right now as a solid defensive top 4 guy. Corvo is bad defensively at times, even though he's a very good puckmover and PP quarterback. Babchuk, who knows where he's at right now, he could come in and be an adequate top 4 d-man for them, or he could be a little inconsistent like he was earlier in his NHL career. Kaberle, Wallin, Melichar and Seidenberg are nothing spectacular and none of them would even make the top 7 on the Panthers' defense.

Carolina also traded Stillman, Cole, and Ladd from the forward corps and have replaced them with Eaves and Ruutu. They've lost a lot of scoring punch from the beginning of last season. They did pick up Samsonov, but one good half-season isn't enough to convince me that he's "back" yet after nearly two terrible seasons. And the Canes' goaltending is average as well.

Washington just looks like a stronger, more well balanced team to me than Carolina.

Old
09-09-2008, 08:58 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
1. Montreal
2. Pitt
3. Washington
4. Philly
5. Boston
6. Panthers
7. NJ
8. NY Rangers
9. Carolina(9-13 in any order, teams that almost made it)
10. Buffalo
11. Ottawa
12. Tampa
13. Toronto
14. NYI(14-15 are Tavares/Hedman hunting)
15. Atlanta

Last edited by hoax15: 09-09-2008 at 10:13 PM.
hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Wow I cant believe some of your opinions...strange if you ask me but to each their own. The 2 things that hit me moreso:

2. Boston is out of the playoffs or barely in on some of you lists? That makes zero sense to me. They regain the services of Patrice Bergeron, add Ryder (who excelled under Julien in the past and will again), and saw a lot of improvement from youngsters late in the yr (Kessel, Krejci, Lucic). I seriously think they will be competing with Montreal to win the NE.

I think Ottawa, Florida, NY Rangers and Washington are the teams fighting for the #7 & #8 positions in the Eastern Conference. But I still have this suspicion that Tampa makes a deal for a veteran, stay-at-home d-man and may make a push for the playoffs this season.
It would be great if they signed Mezei as a FA!

Old
09-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
1. Montreal
2. Pitt
3. Washington
4. Philly
5. Boston
6. Panthers
7. NJ
8. NY Rangers
9. Carolina(9-13 in any order, teams that almost made it)
10. Buffalo
11. Ottawa
12. Tampa
13. Toronto
14. NYI(14-15 are Tavares/Hedman hunting)
15. Toronto
Which Toronto is Atlanta?

Old
09-09-2008, 10:12 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Which Toronto is Atlanta?
Oops, I meant to put Atlanta at 15th.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 11:52 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:

I have Washington winning the season because they are the most dynamic team offensively in the division. Theodore is a question mark, as he is really the big X factor for them this season. I know in the NHL forum in the SE thread, a lot think that the Caps for the last four months of the season will be the one that shows up this year, but Im not so sure of that. A lot of things went right for them last season, and I just dont think they will be as dominant as they were last season. Regardless, they won the division last season, and they are the team to beat at the moment.

Carolina's D is average. Couple that with the downgrade at forward, and I think thats a recipe for disaster. They still have weapons in Staal, Williams, and maybe Ruutu and Samsonov, but Ward is the big question mark for them. While he has the talent to be a great goaltender, I dont think he has the mentality of one, because of his inconsistencies. I think they have as good of a chance as sneaking into the playoffs as they do missing them. They are getting older, and they just dont worry me the way they did the past few seasons.

And Im not sold on Boston either. I think Thomas had a fluke season last year, and I wouldnt be surprised if his numbers were more average this year. They have a good top four D pairing, and some young talent up front, but Im no where sold that Ryder will come in a turn his career around. While some of their forwards might of had more success than ours, I take our D and our goaltending tandem over Boston.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 12:36 AM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
And Im not sold on Boston either. I think Thomas had a fluke season last year, and I wouldnt be surprised if his numbers were more average this year. They have a good top four D pairing, and some young talent up front, but Im no where sold that Ryder will come in a turn his career around. While some of their forwards might of had more success than ours, I take our D and our goaltending tandem over Boston.
just to comment on this one, since i see them quite a bit - thomas isn't a fluke. he's displayed the same ability during his entire time with the bruins, though he has struggled a bit while fighting through injuries. to my eye, that equates to a small to fair amount above average, though some nights he is human. when he's on, there's not a more exciting goaltender to watch, imo.

if ryder turns it around and they get equal or greater contributions from some of the kids, they may be able to compete for the division. they finally figured out how to play montreal in the playoffs but the reality is that they played an extremely disciplined style all year long and you cannot underestimate what that means when it comes to the bottom line - Ws and Ls. i'm not absolutely crazy about their off-season moves but i think they make the playoffs again.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:12 AM
CanadianPantherFan
#CatsAreComing

Here are my picks. It would be fun to see who is the closest at the end of the season. I don't see Theodore working out well at all. Williams coming back into the Canes lineup healthy will be huge.

1. Montreal
2. Pitt
3. Carolina
4. NY Rangers
5. Philly
6. NJ
7. Buffalo
8. Panthers
==========================
9. Boston
10. Ottawa
11. Washington
12. Tampa
13. NYI.
14. Toronto
15. Atlanta

The Panthers could easily place between 9th and 12th. I am being somewhat of a homer with the 8th seeding,but McCabe could be the difference along with the new coach.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Acadmus

I'm going to stick myself way out on a limb here, and say the Panthers will finish 5th-6th. 98-102 point season. 46 wins.

Why? I just feel like being optimistic today.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I'm going to stick myself way out on a limb here, and say the Panthers will finish 5th-6th. 98-102 point season. 46 wins.

Why? I just feel like being optimistic today.
I agreed with you a few posts ago. I slotted them to finish 6th. I think we will be battling Washington for home advantage in the playoffs which I think the Caps will eventually get and we being the 6th seed would play Washington the 3rd seed! What a series that would be huh!

Old
09-10-2008, 10:41 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Carolina also traded Stillman, Cole, and Ladd from the forward corps and have replaced them with Eaves and Ruutu. They've lost a lot of scoring punch from the beginning of last season. They did pick up Samsonov, but one good half-season isn't enough to convince me that he's "back" yet after nearly two terrible seasons. And the Canes' goaltending is average as well.

Washington just looks like a stronger, more well balanced team to me than Carolina.
Wow, to say the Cane's goaltending is average shows just how little you know about them. Ward's breakout numbers last season - 69GP 37-25-5 2.75GAA .904SV% 4SO. Those numbers place him tied with Lundqvist the 4th most wins in the league and those stats look similar to Kiprusoff's who was 3rd. Most will look at his GAA and say that isnt very good but Vokuon had a similar GAA in 2.68. I wouldnt say Vokuon is average, nor would I call Lundqvist or Kiprusoff. And you're talking about a former Conn Smythe winner so he clearly has the ability to take a team and win it all. If anything, goaltending is the least of the Canes worries.

Ruutu was playing extremely well after being acquired by Carolina (11pts in 16 games) and I think he'll replace the type of play that Cole provided. I dont even see it like a downgrade because I think Ruutu had more potential than Cole. So long as he stays healthy (what has plagued his career so far), he's a more than capable top 2 line player. Everyone forgets that Laviolette was the asst coach when Samsonov had his career best season in Boston. He obviously knows how to get the best out of him from his days in Boston and then last season's re-emergence. I'd only look for him to continue that alongside Staal and company.

Carolina's top 2 centers are clearly better than the top 2 centers for Washington. Washington's top 2 left wings are clearly better than the top 2 left wings for Carolina. I think it would have to be a tie at the right wing position and defense (Washington's defense is extremely young and that can lead to inconsistencies). So it really comes down to goaltending and Ward is coming off back-to-back 30 win seasons, he has to get the edge over Theodore. I'm sorry I dont see how they're a more balanced team than Carolina. Both teams seem very close in terms of talent and I always go with goaltending when its that close.
Quote:
I have Washington winning the season because they are the most dynamic team offensively in the division. Theodore is a question mark, as he is really the big X factor for them this season. I know in the NHL forum in the SE thread, a lot think that the Caps for the last four months of the season will be the one that shows up this year, but Im not so sure of that. A lot of things went right for them last season, and I just dont think they will be as dominant as they were last season. Regardless, they won the division last season, and they are the team to beat at the moment.

Carolina's D is average. Couple that with the downgrade at forward, and I think thats a recipe for disaster. They still have weapons in Staal, Williams, and maybe Ruutu and Samsonov, but Ward is the big question mark for them. While he has the talent to be a great goaltender, I dont think he has the mentality of one, because of his inconsistencies. I think they have as good of a chance as sneaking into the playoffs as they do missing them. They are getting older, and they just dont worry me the way they did the past few seasons.

I dont deny that the Caps technically are the team to beat but so many people have Carolina out of contention for the playoffs. I cant see that happening after the Caps only beat them by 2 pts to win the division. As I showed above, Ward is not a big question mark for them at all...and definitely not as big of a question mark as Theodore. Carolina has its older players sure but those are their veteran leaders. They have a lot of guys that should be in their prime yrs. Staal is 24, Williams is 27, Samsonov is still just 30, Eaves is 24, Ruutu is 25, Gleason & Pitkanen are also 25, and Corvo is 30. Their team was much older last yr with Wesley, Hedican, Stillman and Cole versus this coming season. They kept their good veteran leaders like Whitney, Brind'Amour, Cullen, Walker and Wallin. I'd worry more about them now than you have in the past.

Thomas and Fernandez is a solid tandem (both have shown they do play good in a split system like that). I'd take FL's goaltending over Boston but I dont think their defense is that much behind FL's and I think Boston's forward corps are far superior to the Panthers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
just to comment on this one, since i see them quite a bit - thomas isn't a fluke. he's displayed the same ability during his entire time with the bruins, though he has struggled a bit while fighting through injuries. to my eye, that equates to a small to fair amount above average, though some nights he is human. when he's on, there's not a more exciting goaltender to watch, imo.

if ryder turns it around and they get equal or greater contributions from some of the kids, they may be able to compete for the division. they finally figured out how to play montreal in the playoffs but the reality is that they played an extremely disciplined style all year long and you cannot underestimate what that means when it comes to the bottom line - Ws and Ls. i'm not absolutely crazy about their off-season moves but i think they make the playoffs again.
Montreal seemed to play way above their potential and Koivu and Kovalev are starting to get much older. They're still the team to beat in the NE but I think they come back down to earth a bit next season so Boston definitely has a chance to catch them and only 10 pts separated them last yr...split the difference and there's a close race for that division.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Wow, to say the Cane's goaltending is average shows just how little you know about them. Ward's breakout numbers last season - 69GP 37-25-5 2.75GAA .904SV% 4SO. Those numbers place him tied with Lundqvist the 4th most wins in the league and those stats look similar to Kiprusoff's who was 3rd. Most will look at his GAA and say that isnt very good but Vokuon had a similar GAA in 2.68. I wouldnt say Vokuon is average, nor would I call Lundqvist or Kiprusoff. And you're talking about a former Conn Smythe winner so he clearly has the ability to take a team and win it all. If anything, goaltending is the least of the Canes worries.

Ruutu was playing extremely well after being acquired by Carolina (11pts in 16 games) and I think he'll replace the type of play that Cole provided. I dont even see it like a downgrade because I think Ruutu had more potential than Cole. So long as he stays healthy (what has plagued his career so far), he's a more than capable top 2 line player. Everyone forgets that Laviolette was the asst coach when Samsonov had his career best season in Boston. He obviously knows how to get the best out of him from his days in Boston and then last season's re-emergence. I'd only look for him to continue that alongside Staal and company.

Carolina's top 2 centers are clearly better than the top 2 centers for Washington. Washington's top 2 left wings are clearly better than the top 2 left wings for Carolina. I think it would have to be a tie at the right wing position and defense (Washington's defense is extremely young and that can lead to inconsistencies). So it really comes down to goaltending and Ward is coming off back-to-back 30 win seasons, he has to get the edge over Theodore. I'm sorry I dont see how they're a more balanced team than Carolina. Both teams seem very close in terms of talent and I always go with goaltending when its that close.
Ward's numbers aren't really that great except for the wins, but wins aren't the best proof of excellence for a goaltender. By that logic, Osgood should be the best goalie in the league this season, which of course isn't true. I think Carolina played well last season, well enough to just miss the playoffs, in spite of Ward not because of him. He's still way too up and down. Numbers for goaltenders can be so misleading. The only goalie stat that really matters to me is save percentage, and .904 is nothing to brag about. That just backs up my point, that Ward is just average. He's not even in the top 10 in the East. Tell me 5 Eastern starters that are worse than him. There was nothing breakout about Ward last season, yes it was his best regular season in the league so far, but that's not saying much. He has yet to get back to the level he displayed during the 06 playoffs. I do know about Carolina's goaltending, I also know that their backup Mike Leighton had a very impressive AHL campaign. But if he can be at least a good backup yet in the NHL is yet to be proven over a full season. So yes, there's reason to worry about Carolina's goaltending. Ward HAS to step it up this season or Carolina is going to miss the playoffs again.

I'm still not sold on Ruutu. Before he was traded, he was perilously close to becoming a bust. I still don't get the injury argument anymore, he's been healthy now for the last three seasons. He has yet to match his rookie performance from 5 years ago, which was 42 points, nothing to write home about for a 5 year pro vet who supposedly still has "potential". He's actually regressed over his career, and if not for his strong push down the stretch last season, people would be calling him a bust already. The fact that I see the majority of Canes fans here penciling him in on their first line just illustrates my point about their offense and how much scoring punch they've lost in a year. I don't buy at all that he's going to replace Cole or even come close. He has yet to show that he can play at the level Cole can over even one full season, since 03-04. Ruutu's done nothing to earn that kind of respect.

I realize that Laviolette was an assistant coach for Boston, but I'm still not convinced that Sammy is "back". If he has a good performance over a full season, then I'll change my mind. I'll also take Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov-Semin-Nylander-Laich-Fedorov-Clark-Fehr over Staal-Ruutu-Samsonov-Brind'Amour-Whitney-Williams-Cullen-Eaves-Walker anyday. Washington has the better top 9.

Washington's defense is young, but they're still better than Carolina's defense. I'd take Green-Morrisson-Alzner-Poti-Lepisto-Schultz-Jurcina over Gleason-Pitkanen-Corvo-Babchuk-Kaberle-Wallin-Seidenberg-Melichar anyday of the week. Carolina has an average defense even at their best, playing in front of one of the bottom five starters in the East. Their inability to keep the puck out of their own net was their downfall last season and it'll be their downfall again this season IMO. Washington at least has an average defense if they all play just OK. If most of them play at or near their best though, then it could be a surprising blueline in the East this year.

Theodore is a huge question mark, but I think he'll do at least OK. He COULD play like he did last regular season, and that would definitely give him the edge over Ward. But even if he plays below average, Washington still has a better offense and defense. Caps all the way.

Old
03-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Booth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias4Prez View Post
Little outside the box...

1.Philly
2.Washington
3.Boston
4.Pittsburgh
5.Montreal
6.Florida
7.Carolina
8.New Jersey

9.Rangers
10.Ottawa
11.Buffalo
12.Tampa
13.Toronto
14.Atlanta
15.Islanders
Spot On. Basically.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
Spot On. Basically.
Thank ya, Thank ya.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:06 AM
handbanana
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

According to this thread, they need 26 points to clinch a playoff spot as of yesterday... and there are 13 games left.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=612038

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by portal333 View Post
According to this thread, they need 26 points to clinch a playoff spot as of yesterday... and there are 13 games left.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=612038
Yeah, key word there is "clinch", I don't see us ever clinching a playoff spot until the second last or last game of the season. We also won't be going 13-0, that's for sure. I think it's going to come down to the very last day of games to see who's in and who's out.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote