HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Penalties

Old
01-18-2009, 10:23 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 597
Penalties

Some interesting quotes...
Quote:
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art.../1017/sports04

So the question begs to be asked: Why have the Flyers received 61 fewer power plays than their opponents, while the Minnesota Wild have been awarded 36 more power plays than their opponents?

"I think it has a lot to do with the crest we wear on our jerseys, with all our history and stuff like that," said Hartnell, who leads the Flyers with 28 minor penalties, which is tied for third in the NHL. "But we have to do a better job individually to keep our sticks where they belong."

Against the Florida Panthers on Friday night, the Flyers built a 2-0 lead on goals by Simon Gagne and Jeff Carter, but consecutive penalties to defensemen Andrew Alberts (hooking), Randy Jones (closing hand on puck), Jones (holding) and Kimmo Timonen (delay of game) led to two power-play goals by the Panthers.

"We're taking far too many penalties, and it's killing our momentum," said Flyers captain Mike Richards, who ranks ninth on the team with 11 minors.

"When you kill as many penalties as we're killing -- one, you get tired out; two, it doesn't give your team energy because everybody's sitting; and three, there's a good chance the other team is going to score. So it's something we have to eliminate."

The Flyers rank 10th in the NHL in penalty killing, but because coach John Stevens uses his best offensive weapons -- Richards, Mike Knuble, Jeff Carter, Simon Gagne, Kimmo Timonen and Braydon Coburn --to kill penalties, he is concerned about their durability as the season wears on.

"We have some guys playing too much and other guys not enough," Stevens said. "We're taxing our key guys."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:46 AM
flyersfan97

vCash: 500
I was having a penalties discussion with someone yesterday. To me, the inconsistency in calls is laughable. The Flyers are going to take a lot of penalties, I get it, but when an opposing team goes two periods without a call against--that's a joke.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
I was having a penalties discussion with someone yesterday. To me, the inconsistency in calls is laughable. The Flyers are going to take a lot of penalties, I get it, but when an opposing team goes two periods without a call against--that's a joke.

It's too bad, some of these calls even have opposing announcers giggling between commercials. If you're a Flyer defending and the pucks in your zone....don't bother taking that bottom hand off the stick, you're going to be called whether it's clutching a player or not. Maybe it bothers us more now because we are in no way shape or form anything like the Broad Street Bullies, yet the refs and the media can't seem to get wrapped around that.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:03 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
It's too bad, some of these calls even have opposing announcers giggling between commercials. If you're a Flyer defending and the pucks in your zone....don't bother taking that bottom hand off the stick, you're going to be called whether it's clutching a player or not. Maybe it bothers us more now because we are in no way shape or form anything like the Broad Street Bullies, yet the refs and the media can't seem to get wrapped around that.
Yea you know, we got them big mean guys like Briere, Giroux, and Gags, who are big and try to hurt people. The media makes me laugh sometimes.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The media needs to put us down constantly because it makes good headlines and gives the NHL someone to hate

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
The media needs to put us down constantly because it makes good headlines and gives the NHL someone to hate

Every league needs it's Darth Vader. It's something all these "writers" and "Band Wagoners" can relate to.

Old
01-18-2009, 11:17 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I've been saying this for a long time, but the fact that we are 29th in PP opportunities is a friggin joke. I mean, I understand that we take a lot of penalties, we are an undisciplined team that spends too much time in our zone.

However, last year we were 3rd in the league in PP opportunities. This year, we are 29th. This is despite the fact that we have a better, deeper team and don't get dominated as much as we did last year.

Added to this fact is that Pitt has been top-5 in PP opportunities the last 3 years despite the fact that they have no remote semblance of a forechecking game (which is where most penalties should be drawn).

It's all about the logo on the front of the jersey and it's a ****ing joke.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
If we flop, dive, and cry, I'm sure we'd have as many as the Penguins, but that's not what we're about.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:29 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If we flop, dive, and cry, I'm sure we'd have as many as the Penguins, but that's not what we're about.
Which is the exact problem with the NHL.

Guys like Roy and Crosby are rewarded while guys like Richards and Carter get the shaft.

Old
01-18-2009, 11:35 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
We've had 52 less power plays then the Canadiens and still have the #1 powerplay. We have 12 more powerplay goals.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Our guys play strong on the puck, always have. It's too bad we get punished for it. Dives aren't that hard to call and they're a blemish on a great sport. What I really hate is the way a ref will call a dive on coincidental minors but not on a flagrant flop. I love this game but I hate the people in charge of it on the pro-level.

Old
01-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHockey1967 View Post
Anyone know where the Flyers rank in bench minors for too many men on the ice? That's one penalty that they actually have control over, crest or no crest, and yet they're taking an absurd amount of them. Ever since Stevens took over this team in 06-07, it's become a constant and ridiculous problem. It's frankly embarrassing for a professional hockey team at this point.

Good call, happening way too much this year. It seems like once a game and it's not acceptable. I'm not going to lay a blame for it but there's a pretty good bet that we're being watched closely for it.

Old
01-18-2009, 11:52 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The Flyers have 11 bench minors, which yes, is the most in the league. Vancouver and Tampa are next with 9.

Boston has 1.

Old
01-18-2009, 11:52 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHockey1967 View Post
Anyone know where the Flyers rank in bench minors for too many men on the ice? That's one penalty that they actually have control over, crest or no crest, and yet they're taking an absurd amount of them. Ever since Stevens took over this team in 06-07, it's become a constant and ridiculous problem. It's frankly embarrassing for a professional hockey team at this point.
We lead the league this year, but we were actually pretty good about it last year.

Old
01-18-2009, 12:56 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Our guys play strong on the puck, always have. It's too bad we get punished for it. Dives aren't that hard to call and they're a blemish on a great sport. What I really hate is the way a ref will call a dive on coincidental minors but not on a flagrant flop. I love this game but I hate the people in charge of it on the pro-level.
that's what puzzles me, though. we play really strong on the puck, especially in the offensive zone, yet we don't draw nearly as many penalties as we should. think about it, you get the cycle going, you keep the puck to the outside while they try to defend, then you try to get it to the net. that's where we take our penalties in our d zone, how come it doesn't go both ways?

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

By the way, Hartnell bringing up conspiracy theories, I can promise you the league doesn't like that, and he's going to be victimized for it. He just needs to shut up and start scoring goals again.

Old
01-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Opus

Quote:
Much like the penalty shot that was awarded to Crosby in the 2nd period today.

- Was he hooked, yes.
- Was he hooked off his feet and right on his ass, not a chance.

Everybody loves to talk about how strong the guy is on his skates. How strong his lower body is. How his wide skating stance keeps him steady on his skates.

...yet the SOB falls so very easily when it's convenient.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:23 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Much like the penalty shot that was awarded to Crosby in the 2nd period today.

- Was he hooked, yes.
- Was he hooked off his feet and right on his ass, not a chance.

Everybody loves to talk about how strong the guy is on his skates. How strong his lower body is. How his wide skating stance keeps him steady on his skates.

...yet the SOB falls so very easily when it's convenient.

I mentioned that in the Penguins' GDT today and one guy exploded on me for saying it because "nobody would give a crap" about my opinion. It was a veeery weak call.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
By the way, Hartnell bringing up conspiracy theories, I can promise you the league doesn't like that, and he's going to be victimized for it. He just needs to shut up and start scoring goals again.

I really don't think it could get a whole lot worse though. They all need to suck it up and play harder, seems to me the majority of our penalties are from guys dragging their feet or making poor decisions. In fairness to Hartnell, at least he's still taking it to the net...we're just not getting the calls. This team coasts behind our blueline sometimes and for as many penalties as we take in our end, we sure don't seem to mind reversing and spending time there waiting for the perfect outlet. They almost invite it.

Old
01-18-2009, 01:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It can get as bad as they want to make it.

Old
01-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I mentioned that in the Penguins' GDT today and one guy exploded on me for saying it because "nobody would give a crap" about my opinion. It was a veeery weak call.
It should have been called a hook (NYR), and unsportmanlike conduct (PIT). These players are simply way too strong to go down with the touch of a stick on the hip. Hooking a guys ankle, completely different story.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
It can get as bad as they want to make it.

Wouldn't it be funny if it worked the exact opposite?

Old
01-18-2009, 01:47 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I've been saying this for a long time, but the fact that we are 29th in PP opportunities is a friggin joke. I mean, I understand that we take a lot of penalties, we are an undisciplined team that spends too much time in our zone.

However, last year we were 3rd in the league in PP opportunities. This year, we are 29th. This is despite the fact that we have a better, deeper team and don't get dominated as much as we did last year.

Added to this fact is that Pitt has been top-5 in PP opportunities the last 3 years despite the fact that they have no remote semblance of a forechecking game (which is where most penalties should be drawn).

It's all about the logo on the front of the jersey and it's a ****ing joke.
Yea just shows that there is a little favoritism. If Crosby gets obstructed its more closely looked at then if metro gets hooked. There is no denying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
We've had 52 less power plays then the Canadiens and still have the #1 powerplay. We have 12 more powerplay goals.
See above post. I wonder how many calls they get at home vs on the road.
Quote:
The Flyers have 11 bench minors, which yes, is the most in the league. Vancouver and Tampa are next with 9.

Boston has 1.
That does obviously have a lot to do with it. Add in the idiot clear over the glass penalties and youll have a fair %.

Bottom line is we can get more and take less, conspiracy or not. We are spending every 4th shift (the fourth line) forchecking, other than that not much pressure at all.

TheKingPin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 02:08 PM
XS Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Yea just shows that there is a little favoritism. If Crosby gets obstructed its more closely looked at then if metro gets hooked. There is no denying that.

See above post. I wonder how many calls they get at home vs on the road.

That does obviously have a lot to do with it. Add in the idiot clear over the glass penalties and youll have a fair %.

Bottom line is we can get more and take less, conspiracy or not. We are spending every 4th shift (the fourth line) forchecking, other than that not much pressure at all.

I was going to bring that up. Sustained pressure in the offensive zone is what draws penalties. I wonder if anyone has a stat on how long teams are in the offensive zone ES as opposed to being bottled up in their own to compare it to this penalties stat.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 04:20 PM
flyersfan97

Did anyone watching the NYR-Penguins game today catch when Pierre said that if a player hits a star player "like Sidney Crosby" he should get four minutes?

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote