HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penalties

Old
01-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Did anyone watching the NYR-Penguins game today catch when Pierre said that if a player hits a star player "like Sidney Crosby" he should get four minutes?
You can't be serious.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 06:40 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
It should have been called a hook (NYR), and unsportmanlike conduct (PIT). These players are simply way too strong to go down with the touch of a stick on the hip. Hooking a guys ankle, completely different story.
Yes they are very strong, but its a lot different when your along the boards and have a low center of gravity, as opposed to off balance when he handed Redden his ass. I'm not saying he didn't dive, he may have. But I think he would take his chances with the breakaway then the penalty shot. I think you underestimate how easy it is to get knocked down by a stick check.

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 06:57 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
We've had 52 less power plays then the Canadiens and still have the #1 powerplay. We have 12 more powerplay goals.
That just shows how awesome this team is.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:21 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Did anyone watching the NYR-Penguins game today catch when Pierre said that if a player hits a star player "like Sidney Crosby" he should get four minutes?
yea i saw/heard that. that's like 1 out of 523 issues i have with pierre mcguire. he just continues to make himself sound like an ass. i don't really like millbury, but i agreed with everything he said today while he battled pierre about fighting and everything else. mcguire's a ****ing idiot. i feel badly for all you guys up north who have to put up with him year round. i was happy with my ignorance when i didn't know who he was. then the torino olympics came around and i hated him immediately.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:43 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Good God. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Pierre is over the top on a good day, but jeebus, I didn't think he could be that freakin' stupid.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Wouldn't it be funny if it worked the exact opposite?
More like wishful thinking. The refs generally do not tolerate the players yapping about the refs. Coaches are different.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:05 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

I haven't seen much bias or imbalance. Once in a while I raise an eyebrow at what I've seen but I really haven't seen any systemic screwing of the Flyers.

But 51 fewer PP then Canadiens sure makes it look like something is amiss.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Opus

Quote:
I watched the majority of the game but thankfully missed this. What a tool.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 09:41 AM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
You can't be serious.
Oh, but I am. I literally could not believe me ears. Even from Pierre, I was shocked.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Raffl House

Pierre is absolutely right! But we should take it a step farther to protect these players! Here's a few more thoughts...

La-z-boy on the bench for Crosby...and nobody else!

In addition to a hockey stick, uniform, and helmet, we should give Crosby a shiv he can use whenever he gets into a scuffle or a fight.

Tissues placed strategically around the arena, so he can pick them off as he does his figure eights.

A personal chef to provide comfort food when Crosby is feeling down. (awwwwww)

Anyone who steps into Crosby's "comfort zone" gets 2 minutes, or a big wet kiss from our favorite superstar for being naughty!

Pierre's 4 mintues for fighting a superstar like Sid the Kid is ok, but if you do anything to god forbid..INJURE him (ooooohhh nooooo the humanity), your life ENDS. Right there. On the spot. You are sentenced to death.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:57 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 588
More commentary on the matter:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...ng-flyers.html

Quote:
"I don't think that refs are making conscious efforts to put us behind the eight ball or give bad penalties or not give us penalties, but it's all part of the game and we've got to play with it and play with what we're dealt," Hartnell said.

Mike Knuble isn't buying into any prejudice ideas, either.

"I'm not going to come up with a conspiracy theory or anything," Knuble said. "Some of them are hooks and trips and things where we can probably move our feet more, and we've been lucky that it hasn't cost us a lot more than it has so far."

If there's any bias against the Flyers, it probably has something to do with their history, according to coach John Stevens, who's been with the organization for most of his pro career dating back to 1984.

"I really do believe that there is an aura about the Flyers,'' Stevens said. "A tradition and an identity that's been there and will always be there. Flyers teams have always played hard and been aggressive and they always will.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...nt_Flyers.html
Quote:

Timonen said when the Flyers are "standing still or not skating enough, we start hooking and holding and that kind of stuff. Penalties happen, and I'm sure because we're the Flyers, that has something to do with it. But that's not the main reason. It's us. We've got to be better at moving our feet and that kind of stuff."

Stevens, whose team has called for an inexplicable 11 penalties for having too many men on the ice, has a simple solution to reducing the infractions: "Don't turn the puck over as much, and play in the offensive zone, where you're going to draw penalties and not take them," he said.

"It seems like most of our penalties are little hooks and holds and that has to do with being on the wrong side of guys or getting beat off the wall," said winger Scott Hartnell.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...penalties.html
Quote:

"We need to do a better job of fronting guys and not putting ourselves in the position to take those penalties. As soon as you get your stick in a guy's gut or on his hands, you're going to get 2 minutes.

"It's been like that now for 4 or 5 years. You have to know those calls are going to come and you have to make a conscious effort of knowing the time of the game and not doing that."

One of the more common perceptions is that the Flyers get penalized because they have an age-old reputation of playing dirty. It's something that started in the 1970s and has never gone away. Mike Richards mentioned it after Tuesday's loss, and other players have said the same thing.

But all of them know the reality is that they are responsible for taking most of the penalties.

"I'm not going to come up with a conspiracy theory or anything," winger Mike Knuble said. "Some of them are hooks and trips and things where we can probably move our feet more, and we've been lucky that it hasn't cost us a lot more than it has so far.

"It's demanding for the guys who kill penalties, it keeps other guys on the bench and not as much into the game. It affects the overall flow of things. If it was just a few penalties more than everyone else, then it wouldn't be a big deal, but it's 10 to 15 percent more than what everyone else has."

And there is the fact that they don't get calls that go their way.

"It is funny how we don't get them, isn't it?'' Knuble said. "Is everyone else skating that much more than us? I don't know. It seems when we get the power-play opportunities, we're pretty efficient, but you can fall into a trap where you're waiting around for power plays and obviously we're not getting them."
http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...0961259333.txt
Quote:

Actually, there are only a handful of teams that are at minus-20 or worse while most teams in the NHL are close to even or on the plus side of the ledger, suggesting a bit of an imbalance league wide.

“I really do believe that there is an aura about the Flyers,” Stevens said. “A tradition and an identity that’s been there and will always be there. Flyers teams have always played hard and been aggressive and they always will. Look at the Super Bowl. When you talk about the Steelers, coaches have changed but the identity of a Pittsburgh linebacker has never changed. There are certainly some things historically that stay with teams and our aggressive play suits us.

“I think we have to be aggressive but I do think there are times when we need to be sharper and not put ourselves in position to take penalties, defend better and not getting involved in scrums after the whistle. … I think we’ve done a good job and I don’t think we’ve had very many of those this year. We try to do our damage between the whistles, but when the disparity is what it is right now, it deserves some attention from us.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:26 AM
BringBackStevens

I dont have a problem with the calls made against us this season, we deserve most of them. But there is no question we are getting the short end of the stick with calls going the other way. I don't know the reason but there is flat out blatant stuff game in and game out being let go. Last season we took a lot of penalties, but i think we were treated more fairly. I don't see a logical reason for that change

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I dont have a problem with the calls made against us this season, we deserve most of them. But there is no question we are getting the short end of the stick with calls going the other way. I don't know the reason but there is flat out blatant stuff game in and game out being let go. Last season we took a lot of penalties, but i think we were treated more fairly. I don't see a logical reason for that change

I think this pretty much sums it up from my point of view. It's easy to see when our players aren't moving their feet so the calls against aren't that bad. What ticks me off is what other teams don't get called for. I know it's not the case but it's like some teams are allowed to play pre-lockout hockey and teams like the Flyers and Ducks can't. I don't see the logic either...we are far removed from our bully days.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
Pierre is absolutely right! But we should take it a step farther to protect these players! Here's a few more thoughts...

La-z-boy on the bench for Crosby...and nobody else!

In addition to a hockey stick, uniform, and helmet, we should give Crosby a shiv he can use whenever he gets into a scuffle or a fight.

Tissues placed strategically around the arena, so he can pick them off as he does his figure eights.

A personal chef to provide comfort food when Crosby is feeling down. (awwwwww)

Anyone who steps into Crosby's "comfort zone" gets 2 minutes, or a big wet kiss from our favorite superstar for being naughty!

Pierre's 4 mintues for fighting a superstar like Sid the Kid is ok, but if you do anything to god forbid..INJURE him (ooooohhh nooooo the humanity), your life ENDS. Right there. On the spot. You are sentenced to death.
Pierre accused Crosby of diving one day on NBC, was wrong, Crosby called him on it and ever since then he's been all over him. I also think Pierre was putting on a bit of an act that day.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 03:15 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i know it sucks and that we lose games because of this bias, but am i the only one who's kind of proud that we get this kind of special treatment? it's completely unfair and unreasonable, but it's kind of nice that the league thinks it needs to stab us in the back to keep us down. we spit in the face of adversity.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Jester

Scott Hartnell is the last player on the team who should be speaking to the penalty issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
i know it sucks and that we lose games because of this bias, but am i the only one who's kind of proud that we get this kind of special treatment? it's completely unfair and unreasonable, but it's kind of nice that the league thinks it needs to stab us in the back to keep us down. we spit in the face of adversity.
There is no bias.

Quote:
We don't control the puck really. We're either skating through the neutral zone and trying to create a scoring chance, or we are chasing the puck. We don't apply pressure through puck possession, we apply it through our speed and skill in quick bursts, rather than grinding possessions; the latter is what earns you a lot of power play minutes.

Last season was the same crap...just be thankful Briere has been out, the number of stick infractions he took last season was amazing.

This team needs to learn to play smarter with where they put their sticks...and they need to start controlling the puck more, if they want to really swing the PP minutes around.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Never really thought of it that way. I mean as far as the us against the world persona goes, I've always been proud of that, but the penalties ****ing suck. It's total bull that we get the **** end of the stick every time, but when you throw in the aspect that they do it to try and keep us from winning, it is kind of awesome. The fact that we keep winning has to sting a bit, but then I remember games like Tuesday night's and it makes me sad.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

We are like the Raiders of the NHL, big deal, we have a good PK. There are some nights where I think we should go to the man advantage a couple more times than we do but what fan doesn't think that?

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 07:03 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Never really thought of it that way. I mean as far as the us against the world persona goes, I've always been proud of that, but the penalties ****ing suck. It's total bull that we get the **** end of the stick every time, but when you throw in the aspect that they do it to try and keep us from winning, it is kind of awesome. The fact that we keep winning has to sting a bit, but then I remember games like Tuesday night's and it makes me sad.
i guess i just like being able to blame the refs instead of making our players take responsibility. at the very least, we can say that very little of our success has been gifted on us by the refs.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 07:48 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I agree with 95% of the penalties called on the Flyers. I also agree with 95% of the non-calls other teams get against the Flyers. Every fanbase *****es about penalties; it's their god given right. There's no conspiracy against Philly, though.

Philadelphia just happens to have players that aren't moving their feet in the defensive zone (Coburn) or players that take stupid penalties for seemingly no reason (Hartnell).

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 07:52 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We don't control the puck really. We're either skating through the neutral zone and trying to create a scoring chance, or we are chasing the puck. We don't apply pressure through puck possession, we apply it through our speed and skill in quick bursts, rather than grinding possessions; the latter is what earns you a lot of power play minutes.

Last season was the same crap...just be thankful Briere has been out, the number of stick infractions he took last season was amazing.

This team needs to learn to play smarter with where they put their sticks...and they need to start controlling the puck more, if they want to really swing the PP minutes around.
Right, last season was the same crap, but we still were nowhere near as low in the power play's for statistic

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Right, last season was the same crap, but we still were nowhere near as low in the power play's for statistic
We're on pace for roughly 80 less PPs this year...however, this looks partially like a league-wide phenomenon. Carolina is on pace for 376, near the tops in the league, and they had 421 last season.

However, at the end of the day...I think it's entirely a product of how this team goes about playing the game.

Old
01-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I agree with 95% of the penalties called on the Flyers. I also agree with 95% of the non-calls other teams get against the Flyers. Every fanbase *****es about penalties; it's their god given right. There's no conspiracy against Philly, though.

Philadelphia just happens to have players that aren't moving their feet in the defensive zone (Coburn) or players that take stupid penalties for seemingly no reason (Hartnell).
Don't forget...we just like to stick our sticks out there. It's absurd.

Old
02-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Miss Mess

Another game with a ridiculous amount of flyers penalties.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 12:27 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

both side were ridiculous. if we scored on the shorties, wed all be smacking each other in the a**

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote