HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who was really behind the Rangers' acquisition of stars?

View Poll Results: Who was behind the Rangers' moves of the past 4 years?
Glen Sather 24 47.06%
Jimmy Dolan 21 41.18%
Laches or J.D. 1 1.96%
Other 5 9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Muckalt

vCash: 500
Who was really behind the Rangers' acquisition of stars?

As you may or may not know, Slats recently told a Vancouver radio station that Dolan was behind many of the moves made throughout his reign as GM. Who do you think was really the architect of the 2000-2004 Rangers?

Old
03-03-2004, 11:06 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckler
As you may or may not know, Slats recently told a Vancouver radio station that Dolan was behind many of the moves made throughout his reign as GM. Who do you think was really the architect of the 2000-2004 Rangers?

he likes to blame alot of other people for his mistakes!! i will agree that dolan was behind some moves but why would sather take the job if he didn't have total control? he's full of ***** and the game has past him by and he just can't accept it! also to elaberate on what i meant, i knoe dolan was behind the moves that smith did, threated his job if he din't get so and so signed!

Old
03-04-2004, 07:25 AM
OldBlueshirt

I voted for "Other". I think it was the Zamboni guy who was behind all this! Or maybe the notorious rolling puck!

Seriously, it was Slats, and no one else. Sure, Dolan provided a mandate to "put on a show" with superstars. But it was Sather who kept pulling the trigger.

Old
03-04-2004, 07:47 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Jar Jar was the real power behind the throne.

Old
03-04-2004, 08:12 AM
Laches

If only I had that kind of power....

Old
03-04-2004, 08:19 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I voted Dolan, but should have hit Other

I think that the Advertising dollars forced the Rangers to move to get "marketable" players.

It makes it tougher to market a team of no name players as opposed to a team full of stars.

Each "big" account has a choice of star player they can use to market their product and the bigger the account, the bigger the star.

I don't think that they reallly cared about the on ice results as opposed to the bottom line in terms of dollars and cents.

could be wrong, usually am.

Old
03-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Sather is either a liar or a *****. He came here proclaiming that he had been given total control over hockey decisions and that without that guarantee he wouldn't have taken the job. Now after watching his handiwork blow up in his face and becoming the laughing stock of the NHL he's trying to shift the blame elsewhere. As if anyone cares.

Either it's all his doing--so he's a liar, or he came here and allowed himself to be dictated to by a guy who knows absolutely NOTHING about hockey--so he's a ***** for taking Dolan's money. Either way, he should be ashamed of himself.

Old
03-07-2004, 10:00 PM
OldBlueshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Sather is either a liar or a *****. He came here proclaiming that he had been given total control over hockey decisions and that without that guarantee he wouldn't have taken the job. Now after watching his handiwork blow up in his face and becoming the laughing stock of the NHL he's trying to shift the blame elsewhere. As if anyone cares.

Either it's all his doing--so he's a liar, or he came here and allowed himself to be dictated to by a guy who knows absolutely NOTHING about hockey--so he's a ***** for taking Dolan's money. Either way, he should be ashamed of himself.
He is BOTH. I had a flashback when he traded Brendl (I may be wrong as to the exact trade) -- Sather said something like this: "Draft picks and prospects are an unknown commodity and a gamble. Getting someone already in the NHL is a safer bet."

I know he definitely said something like that, to justify what he was doing. He made it clear that he wasn't inclined to rely on draft picks and prospects to win games.

Old
03-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueshirt
He is BOTH. I had a flashback when he traded Brendl (I may be wrong as to the exact trade) -- Sather said something like this: "Draft picks and prospects are an unknown commodity and a gamble. Getting someone already in the NHL is a safer bet."

I know he definitely said something like that, to justify what he was doing. He made it clear that he wasn't inclined to rely on draft picks and prospects to win games.
Yeah, I remember that statement too. Not quite sure when it was either, but it might have been when he traded Novak and the #1 for Bure.

Closed Thread