HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Buying one piece to turn into just a shaft?

Old
01-18-2009, 12:22 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

vCash: 500
Buying one piece to turn into just a shaft?

I was checking out the sticks in the store close to me and really liked the Synergy 1 piece. Question is, can I just cut the blade off and use it as a 2 piece (never used 1 piece sticks, always shaft and blade)?

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:49 PM
IniNew

I just did that for my Synergy 300, my blade had already broken. Only downside is it uses tapered blades which tend to be on the expensive side. Will work though.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i believe most one peices are just actually a two piece with a tapered blade and shaft and its just fit to look like a one piece by covering up the part where they connect. i have a few one pieces that i convereted because the blade broke

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:26 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Sounds good. So basically when a one piece would break, it'll be just like a two piece? Do you have to saw off the blade or just heat it up and remove like shaft and blade?

How much do tapered blades run for compared to standard blades.

Old
01-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
i believe most one peices are just actually a two piece with a tapered blade and shaft and its just fit to look like a one piece by covering up the part where they connect. i have a few one pieces that i convereted because the blade broke
That's right.

Although after cutting the blade off, sometimes you'll have to spend an hour chipping out the tenon that's still left inside the shaft. That's the bit of the blade portion that's been inserted inside the shaft.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:41 PM
IniNew

I used a hack-saw on mine, cut it square as low as I could then cut in small increments till I could get the entire blade piece out.

A quick search on the site I use mostly showed this as the cheapest senior tapered blade:

http://www.epuck.com/eas06synthbldsr.html

Old
01-18-2009, 01:57 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
I used a hack-saw on mine, cut it square as low as I could then cut in small increments till I could get the entire blade piece out.

A quick search on the site I use mostly showed this as the cheapest senior tapered blade:

http://www.epuck.com/eas06synthbldsr.html
That's not too bad.

So basically, each time you replace the blade you cut more into the shaft correct? Or just cut the blade itself then just "pull" the end out of the shaft?

Just to make sure, tapered blades aren't held in by glue like standard blades are they?

Old
01-18-2009, 02:01 PM
IniNew

No no, the only time you cut is to get the original blade out. Once you do that, you just heat and glue like a normal two piece.

Old
01-18-2009, 02:05 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
No no, the only time you cut is to get the original blade out. Once you do that, you just heat and glue like a normal two piece.
Got it. Normal blades are glued like normal but the original blade needs to be sawed out (not heated and pulled like seperate blades).

Thanks for the input!

Old
01-18-2009, 04:44 PM
qwertysac

just noticed how similar our screenames are

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:00 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
just noticed how similar our screenames are
Haha, one letter off!

Old
01-18-2009, 05:12 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

To the OP: I would recommend against what you're doing. Don't buy then cut, buy it, wait until it breaks, then do what you're talking about. I won't be quite as good as a two piece then it is as a OPS, so use it as is then convert.

BTW, the easton synergy line is fused, but the higher level ones are not their standard retail blade, they're much nicer and made specifically to fuse in the stick. Lower end is going to be a heavier stick and a cheaper blade, and it's fused with epoxy- you'll have to cut above it, you're not getting that sucker out. So cut in small increments with a hacksaw until you're above it.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Stefan It Up

If you want to save as much shaft length as possible, I wouldn't keep cutting and cutting into the shaft. Just cut off as much blade as you can and then use a heatgun to heat and pull the rest.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:24 PM
kingpest19

Or you coudl save yourself all the trouble of trying to get the blade remnants out and just buy a Synergy shaft.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:29 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Or you coudl save yourself all the trouble of trying to get the blade remnants out and just buy a Synergy shaft.
Couldn't you use the butt-end of the stick as the area for the two-piece blade? That way you just have to cut off the blade without worrying about chipping out bits of the old blade.

The paint on your stick and all of the writing would be upside down... but there wouldn't be any other difference, would there?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Couldn't you use the butt-end of the stick as the area for the two-piece blade? That way you just have to cut off the blade without worrying about chipping out bits of the old blade.

The paint on your stick and all of the writing would be upside down... but there wouldn't be any other difference, would there?
im not sure i know what you are saying but if you are asking if you can put a blade where the butt end is and essentially turn the shaft upside down, i would not recommend doing that. it would screw with teh kick point and the shafts are designed to be used right side up. im not sure of the particular model shaft you are using but most shafts are not completely symmetrical. by that i mean where you bottom hand should be there might be more grip on the shaft and the hosel are different especially if you are using a tapered shaft. you would have to put a normal blade in the butt end and you probably wouldnt be able to put a butt end in the stick anymore because it is tapered

long story short, dont do it. it will mess with teh stick and throw the balance off

Old
01-18-2009, 06:52 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan It Up View Post
If you want to save as much shaft length as possible, I wouldn't keep cutting and cutting into the shaft. Just cut off as much blade as you can and then use a heatgun to heat and pull the rest.
You can't do that on the Synergies. They're held in with a epoxy resin that won't melt like hot glue. You have to cut it down or spend hours carefully filing out the blade and risking compromising the integrity of the shaft.

Quote:
im not sure i know what you are saying but if you are asking if you can put a blade where the butt end is and essentially turn the shaft upside down, i would not recommend doing that. it would screw with teh kick point and the shafts are designed to be used right side up. im not sure of the particular model shaft you are using but most shafts are not completely symmetrical. by that i mean where you bottom hand should be there might be more grip on the shaft and the hosel are different especially if you are using a tapered shaft. you would have to put a normal blade in the butt end and you probably wouldnt be able to put a butt end in the stick anymore because it is tapered

long story short, dont do it. it will mess with teh stick and throw the balance off
It does screw with the kick point and will really mess up the feel of the stick. Add to that the shaft is a lot thinner and weaker at the top and it's a lot easier to break. Don't do it.

Old
01-18-2009, 07:01 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the first Graf one-piece a few years back was the first true one-piece at the time to come out!

As well, you don't have to use a taper blade in a cut off one-piece. Two things, either you lucked out and cut a little high up and it will fit a normal blade. OR flip ends, and the opposite side should fit normal blades while the part you hold onto is the tapered end.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 07:15 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the first Graf one-piece a few years back was the first true one-piece at the time to come out!

As well, you don't have to use a taper blade in a cut off one-piece. Two things, either you lucked out and cut a little high up and it will fit a normal blade. OR flip ends, and the opposite side should fit normal blades while the part you hold onto is the tapered end.
Been addressed. Keep cutting and you get rid of about a third of the stick. Flip it and it's a lot weaker and it ruins the kickpoint, which is the point of buying a decent stick instead of the cheapest shaft you can find.

Cut to just above where the old blade hosel was and it should fit a tapered blade. Not a big deal.

Old
01-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:

im pretty sure the one 95 is a true one piece too

Old
01-18-2009, 07:27 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
im pretty sure the one 95 is a true one piece too
Most of the top sticks these days are. One 95, RBK 10k is I believe, S17. it's part of what makes them so damn expensive.

Old
01-18-2009, 07:29 PM
kingpest19

Quote:

They were later versions of the Busch Balance that has been around since the early 90s.

Old
01-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Most of the top sticks these days are. One 95, RBK 10k is I believe, S17. it's part of what makes them so damn expensive.
yea, and it sucks even worse when you break the blade because you cant replace them. though they do have a two piece system availble for the one 95, im not sure about the others

am i right in assuming the o stick is a true one piece?

Old
01-18-2009, 07:42 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
yea, and it sucks even worse when you break the blade because you cant replace them. though they do have a two piece system availble for the one 95, im not sure about the others

am i right in assuming the o stick is a true one piece?
With the O stick though ive heard that if you break it in the right spot you can turn it into a 2 -piece

Old
01-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
With the O stick though ive heard that if you break it in the right spot you can turn it into a 2 -piece
really? im assumings its not tapered