HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Buying one piece to turn into just a shaft?

Old
01-18-2009, 06:47 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

vCash: 500
I didn't mean remove the blade right away but after it breaks. I was going to use it as my second stick but if I am able to salvage the stick instead of buying a new one each time, that is why I asked. If it breaks at the blade, guess I can try to salvage it or trash it when the time comes.

I'm still quite partial to my old aluminum easton but figured on trying a lighter comp too.

And I would rather not buy a shaft alone since I would have to buy that online.

Last edited by qwertyaas: 01-18-2009 at 06:52 PM.
qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 06:57 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
I didn't mean remove the blade right away but after it breaks. I was going to use it as my second stick but if I am able to salvage the stick instead of buying a new one each time, that is why I asked. If it breaks at the blade, guess I can try to salvage it or trash it when the time comes.

I'm still quite partial to my old aluminum easton but figured on trying a lighter comp too.

And I would rather not buy a shaft alone since I would have to buy that online.
It's an easton. It'll break at the blade. They have great feel, but the durability of the blades isn't great.

Actually, you can often find broken OPS in the trash at rinks that you can turn into shafts too.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 07:04 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
It's an easton. It'll break at the blade. They have great feel, but the durability of the blades isn't great.

Actually, you can often find broken OPS in the trash at rinks that you can turn into shafts too.
I play street (see if I ever buy a OPS again) and I the blade barely lasted a month of 2 days a week.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 07:16 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
I play street (see if I ever buy a OPS again) and I the blade barely lasted a month of 2 days a week.
That would be an issue. The friction on a street will tear any blade apart incredibly quick. Use wood or ABS blades only, they're cheaper. However, with street you can't expect anything to last very long. OPS and street is a really, really, bad idea.

Old
01-18-2009, 10:46 PM
IniNew

Quote:
That would be an issue. The friction on a street will tear any blade apart incredibly quick. Use wood or ABS blades only, they're cheaper. However, with street you can't expect anything to last very long. OPS and street is a really, really, bad idea.
Yeah, I've since switched to a two piece with an ABS blade after that mistake.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 02:18 PM
stick9

Quote:
Most of the top sticks these days are. One 95, RBK 10k is I believe, S17. it's part of what makes them so damn expensive.
I don't believe that's entirely correct.

Fusing a shaft and blade is an assembly process. Just because the blade can't be pulled out doesn't make a true one piece. There are very few true one piece sticks.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 03:48 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I don't believe that's entirely correct.

Fusing a shaft and blade is an assembly process. Just because the blade can't be pulled out doesn't make a true one piece. There are very few true one piece sticks.
I know that- but a lot of companies are making one of their top two sticks a true OPS I thought. The Vapor and Synergy lines aren't, same with anything CCM. Also, there are distinctions within fused OPS- those that are a a stock shaft and a stock blade fused with a different glue like the Dolomite- the dolomite shaft and the dolomite blade that you buy at retail are the same thing, they're just held together with a different glue.
Then there are the synergies, where the blade has a different structure from the retail blade and is fused in with the same epoxy that binds the rest of the composite together.

Okay, verifying things: One 95 says it's single molded with no joint in the Bauer Catalog- that's a true OPS.
However, it does seem the 10k won't be, at least RBK doesn't mention it in it's literature. They do talk about continuous fibers running down into the blade, so it's something in between.

According to the Easton Catalog, the S17 is built with what they call "multi rib technology" Which means that the blade is fused with the shaft during molding. Which means True OPS.

And it seems like I was mistaken about CCM. The U+ is a True OPS too.

Warrior makes one too, their Kronk is.

Thing is, it's a lot lighter to make them that way, and less blade heavy, which is something they're all trying to get rid of. So everybody's making a True OPS these days. Not as uncommon as you might think.

Old
01-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Stefan It Up

The Graf Busch. One of few sticks that everyone can agree is a true one-piece.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote