HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez terrible anyone?

Old
01-18-2009, 03:03 PM
NYRamonte10

vCash: 500
Gomez terrible anyone?

Over the past two months... excuse me if there has already been a thread i didn't see one on the first page... I have grown livid with the way Gomez is playing... He is brutal. His speed has not even been working out for him lately. When he gets control in the offensive zone, he makes blind passes to the front of the net like a dumb peewee player in travel hockey. He has almost no strength on the puck, and big defensmen are able to knock him off it with ease. On top of that, he can't catch a pass when we need him to. I want him out of NYC before he rots the rangers' salary and their future by bringing us down. Trade him for a young up and coming center that can win a draw. I'm sorry but no one can deny that this rant is unfounded. Get him out!

NYRamonte10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 03:07 PM
otto1219

gomez isnt terrible, he just is a 4 million dollar player and not a 7+ million dollar player. many teams would love to have gomez on their team, just not as his salary.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 03:08 PM
NYRamonte10

He can't make anything happen out there. I'd trade him for Nylander strait up.

Old
01-18-2009, 03:14 PM
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRamonte10 View Post
He can't make anything happen out there. I'd trade him for Nylander strait up.
i think a lot of people would do that because nylander makes a lot less money and has less years on his contract. Nylander has also been injury prone throughout his career. Besides Jagrs gone, why would we want to go back to nylander?

Old
01-18-2009, 03:18 PM
NYRamonte10

With Nylander, we are guaranteed at least 10 seconds of posession time, something Zherdev brings as well. These guys make other players better... and you can't say that Nylander's excellent seasons two and three years ago are entirely because of Jagr. If you get a chance watch Nylander play right now in WSH... he still is very effective. He can hold onto the puck... and can make the occasional nifty pass. Gomez looks like he is playing street hockey out there... it's hard to watch without throwing something.

Old
01-18-2009, 03:24 PM
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRamonte10 View Post
With Nylander, we are guaranteed at least 10 seconds of posession time, something Zherdev brings as well. These guys make other players better... and you can't say that Nylander's excellent seasons two and three years ago are entirely because of Jagr. If you get a chance watch Nylander play right now in WSH... he still is very effective. He can hold onto the puck... and can make the occasional nifty pass. Gomez looks like he is playing street hockey out there... it's hard to watch without throwing something.
i dont know if you can say his play in washington is highly effective, he is on the 2nd best scoring team in the east, 5th in the NHL, and he has 22 points. Dubinsky has been absent the last 25 games, and has more points than him.

Old
01-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Id LOVE to bump the Gomez signing thread...there were maybe 3 people on this entire board, including myself that said this would be a colossal failure of a signing.

He and Drury, 2 worst offseason signings ever...followed by Redden which overtook those 2 as the worst offseason signing ever.

Terrible management by Sather, particularly the years.

I could stomach Gomez for 3 years and Drury for 2, because then theyd be stopgap players. 7 and 5, with 6 for Redden?

Frigging disgusting.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 03:59 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Id LOVE to bump the Gomez signing thread...there were maybe 3 people on this entire board, including myself that said this would be a colossal failure of a signing.

He and Drury, 2 worst offseason signings ever...followed by Redden which overtook those 2 as the worst offseason signing ever.

I could stomach Gomez for 3 years and Drury for 2, because then theyd be stopgap players. 7 and 5, with 6 for Redden?

Frigging disgusting.
Brad Richards, anyone?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

Gomez has speed and skills. He just can't shoot. Kind of reminds me of Adam Oates..pure assist man.

I think he can be effective playing with the right players. Put him with a power forward that can create space for himself, and I bet you'll see some strong results. Zherdev is great, but he doesn't cycle...he's a dangler.

I liked Nylander back with Jagr, but that's done...no point in bringing a 38 year old back. I mean who is he going to cycle with?

If I had to get rid of someone, Drury and Redden are top two on my list.

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Brad Richards, anyone?

Id love to get something of value for Gomez, Redden and Drury, but it doesnt have to be equal in terms of what they are paid to do.

Id love to get Sheldon Souray outta Edmonton. Slapper from the point we could really use, and some toughness. Not the best defensive player for sure, but brings pieces we desperately need.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 04:34 PM
GoNikolaiZherdevGo

I think he still might be feeling his injury. He's lost two steps, and the lack of confidence and fire is killing his decision making ability.

GoNikolaiZherdevGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 04:45 PM
McMonster

Gomez is useless

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:07 PM
ThirdEye

I honestly don't think he's healthy. Even Gomez at his worst last year was much better than this.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:08 PM
bumrusherer

He isnt terrible or bad. He is just being paid too much ( like Drury ) and it leads you to want more than what they are capable of.

Gomez is a 60-70 point player who this season is playing up to the standards of a 60-70 point player.
Its really not his fault that someone decided to pay him like a 90-100 point player.

Dont blame Gomez and Drury for playing up to their usual level. Blame the dude that throws money around.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:29 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:

Id love to get something of value for Gomez, Redden and Drury, but it doesnt have to be equal in terms of what they are paid to do.

Id love to get Sheldon Souray outta Edmonton. Slapper from the point we could really use, and some toughness. Not the best defensive player for sure, but brings pieces we desperately need.
Kalinin sucks on D too. But does he bring anything else?? Not really, especially not a mean streak.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:55 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Kalinin sucks on D too. But does he bring anything else?? Not really, especially not a mean streak.
That hip check on Sid the Skid was mean. Vintage Kaspar.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post
He isnt terrible or bad. He is just being paid too much ( like Drury ) and it leads you to want more than what they are capable of.

Gomez is a 60-70 point player who this season is playing up to the standards of a 60-70 point player.
Its really not his fault that someone decided to pay him like a 90-100 point player.

Dont blame Gomez and Drury for playing up to their usual level. Blame the dude that throws money around.
No one forced them to take that much money, or play in NY.
If you choose to accept that kind of a contract, you have to accept the responsibility and expectations that go along with it.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 06:27 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNikolaiZherdevGo View Post
I think he still might be feeling his injury. He's lost two steps, and the lack of confidence and fire is killing his decision making ability.
Then get him to the press box for a month so he can heal. If hes going to play like this all season because hes not at 100% then I dont want him anywhere near the ice till playoff time.

Bring up AA, let Gomez heal for a few weeks.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 06:42 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post
No one forced them to take that much money, or play in NY.
If you choose to accept that kind of a contract, you have to accept the responsibility and expectations that go along with it.
I'm sure he has accepted the responsibility, it doesn't mean that he's magically going to turn into a 100 point player.

Gomez hasn't been great but the really sad thing as bad as he's been he's still 3rd on this team in points...

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 06:58 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:

Frigging disgusting.
I don't have a single problem with Drury, but Gomez on the other hand.....yuck.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 07:19 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Then get him to the press box for a month so he can heal. If hes going to play like this all season because hes not at 100% then I dont want him anywhere near the ice till playoff time.

Bring up AA, let Gomez heal for a few weeks.
Good idea - 'specially with the break coming.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 07:39 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
gomez isnt terrible, he just is a 4 million dollar player and not a 7+ million dollar player. many teams would love to have gomez on their team, just not as his salary.
Exactly, last year (and this year) he's putting up the exact same numbers as he always did with the Devils. It's just that Sather thought he's score 20 or 30 more points each year once he was gone from the "boring" Devils, and he was wrong.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

I remember earlier in the season I felt like Gomez was playing well but his wingers just weren't converting on the opportunities he was providing.

Recently, though, he's not even setting anybody up. He just skates into the zone, looks around, and usually turns the puck over.

Oh, and BTW, Zherdev is a better passer than Gomez. Just felt like throwing that in there since that was a pretty big debate a couple of weeks ago.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Anhkheg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Exactly, last year (and this year) he's putting up the exact same numbers as he always did with the Devils. It's just that Sather thought he's score 20 or 30 more points each year once he was gone from the "boring" Devils, and he was wrong.
Umm ... remember the promise the Rangers made to him? We will play the offensive style suited to your game and make you a two hundred point player ... lol. This team is extremely boring and more defense oriented than the Devils ever were.

Anhkheg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 07:56 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Heh.

I don't think he has been THAT bad. It seems like he can't find the chemistry with his linemates to make intelligent use of his penetrative abilities (no homo), and since his first instinct 99% of the time is to pass, it makes him look particularly bad when in reality it is likely a lack of chemistry from the whole line.

Buuuuuuuuuuut.... I'll just say, he's terrible.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote