HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez terrible anyone?

Old
01-18-2009, 08:58 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhkheg View Post
This team is extremely boring and more defense oriented than the Devils ever were.
If you genuinely believe that then the only explanation is that you are too young to remember the Devils from 1993-1997.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post
He isnt terrible or bad. He is just being paid too much ( like Drury ) and it leads you to want more than what they are capable of.

Gomez is a 60-70 point player who this season is playing up to the standards of a 60-70 point player.
Its really not his fault that someone decided to pay him like a 90-100 point player.

Dont blame Gomez and Drury for playing up to their usual level. Blame the dude that throws money around.
What I do is blame Gomez and Drury for essentially running Jagr out of town and owning the team. They obviously clashed with the former captain last year and were happy to see him gone.

So...the question is not what they are, but essentially what they promised to the team when this became "their team"...or as quoted "as we wanted it to be when we came here" (I can dig up the quote if you want).

Yes...I do blame management for paying them as such to disrupt the entire team chemistry and now we're nowhere closer to a cup and have no cap space to do anything.

How far behind cap were we 2 years ago? I think the most expensive player on our team was Jagr who had most of his salary and cap eaten by Washington.

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:13 PM
nyrfan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRamonte10 View Post
Over the past two months... excuse me if there has already been a thread i didn't see one on the first page... I have grown livid with the way Gomez is playing... He is brutal. His speed has not even been working out for him lately. When he gets control in the offensive zone, he makes blind passes to the front of the net like a dumb peewee player in travel hockey. He has almost no strength on the puck, and big defensmen are able to knock him off it with ease. On top of that, he can't catch a pass when we need him to. I want him out of NYC before he rots the rangers' salary and their future by bringing us down. Trade him for a young up and coming center that can win a draw. I'm sorry but no one can deny that this rant is unfounded. Get him out!
Here you say that your rant is unfounded. I don't think that's what you wanted to say.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:15 PM
nyrfan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHockeyFan View Post
Gomez has speed and skills. He just can't shoot. Kind of reminds me of Adam Oates..pure assist man.

I think he can be effective playing with the right players. Put him with a power forward that can create space for himself, and I bet you'll see some strong results. Zherdev is great, but he doesn't cycle...he's a dangler.

I liked Nylander back with Jagr, but that's done...no point in bringing a 38 year old back. I mean who is he going to cycle with?

If I had to get rid of someone, Drury and Redden are top two on my list.
I wish Gomez was that good.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:46 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Exactly, last year (and this year) he's putting up the exact same numbers as he always did with the Devils. It's just that Sather thought he's score 20 or 30 more points each year once he was gone from the "boring" Devils The Boring Devils, and he was wrong.
Fixed.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Ice Hockey

gomez is no better than a get the puck to center ice and dump the puck in player-- something we could have snagged for the NHL minimum, less than 1/10th his salary. he is unable to skate fast unless he is going directly forward. he tries to get cutesy with his little extra jumps when crossing over and loses speed. he is a turn-over machine.

his numbers were severely inflated and upper management bit. boy did they **** up.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Petemo

Does anybody wanna throw in the fact that he hasnt backchecked at all?

unless he has the puck, he is not skating. He lost the puck today, and while on the ice took his mouthpiece out for a few seconds, and put it back in...during play, while the penguins were entering the NYR zone.

Im 100% sick of him, he tries to joke his way out of people hating him.

Him and Drury are terrible.

Drury on CHI's 5 on 3 goal, POINTING to the other point man, like KALININ was supposed to go play the point man...no sense at all.

Redden isn't HALF as bad as some of you say, but Gomez and Drury are probably TWICE as bad.

Petemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Gomez for Ryan Smyth?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:19 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Gomez for Ryan Smyth?
in a ****en heart beat.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petemo View Post

Drury on CHI's 5 on 3 goal, POINTING to the other point man, like KALININ was supposed to go play the point man...no sense at all.
in drury's defense, in a 5 on 3, you just take whoever you're closest to. if he was further away from the guy he was pointing to then that would make no sense-- i don't remember.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:21 AM
NYRamonte10

I guess it's mostly Gomez's turnovers. I just can't stand watching a player who constantly turns the puck over every time we gain possesion in the offensive zone... he needs to talk to Staal to learn how to properly protect the puck and create/win scrums. He also needs to talk to zherdev, and learn that there is more to hockey than North/South, forward/backward hockey. I don't understand is he not able to perform a tight turn? I'd prefer to see him off the power play for the time being.

NYRamonte10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
I guess it's mostly Gomez's turnovers. I just can't stand watching a player who constantly turns the puck over every time we gain possesion in the offensive zone... he needs to talk to Staal to learn how to properly protect the puck and create/win scrums. He also needs to talk to zherdev, and learn that there is more to hockey than North/South, forward/backward hockey. I don't understand is he not able to perform a tight turn? I'd prefer to see him off the power play for the time being.
He can't protect the puck like Staal or any other bigger player for that matter, because he doesn't have the NADS to do it like his smaller counterparts do. Being gutsy would go a long way with helping Gomez maintain possession of the puck, but since he's a total ***** (save me the oh he fights twice a year BS) we have to witness him losing the puck or straight up throwing snow when someone comes near him.

MAN THE **** UP

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 12:41 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I just don't get it. Did you guys never watch the man play before? Stop making excuses for him, because his game isn't any different than it ever was when he played for NJ. This is how he's always played and this is why some people (hint: ME) were against signing him in the first place. I can't think of another guy in the NHL who averages the same statistics that Gomez does that I would want on my team less than "Gomer." I don't care if they were paying him 3 million, I still wouldn't want him on my team. Gomez was never "the man" on the Devils. This team didn't have a Patrik Elias when he was acquired, and thanks to the exorbitant salaries being paid to him and the other 2 extraordinarily overrated losers brought in with him, they aren't going to get one to play with him. And unless you surround Gomez with high-level talent, he's useless.

I've been watching hockey since 1992, and when it became my favorite sport, I spent countless hours watching tapes of old footage. There has never been a player that I've found more irritating to watch, and since his rookie year I don't remember a single guy who I thought was overrated as often as him. What a waste of talent and speed. He's a second line center with fantastic skating ability that he unfortunately never utilizes the right way. He gives the puck away in the offensive and neutral zones WAY too often, and he doesn't stop shooting. He's a terrible, terrible decision-maker, and he always has been, but especially the last 3 seasons.

I've referenced this stat earlier in the season, but I still find it amazing, so I'm going to reference it again:

Gomez: 22nd in the league in shots on goal with 146. For reference, Ovechkin is first with 291 and Jeff Carter is second with 198. The players just ahead of Gomez? Perry, Kovalchuk, Vanek, Guerin, Getzlaf, M. Koivu, all of whom have 149. Ryan Smyth has 146, as well. Kessel is just behind with 144, as is SIDNEY CROSBY, with 142.

Of the top 30 NHLers in shots on goal, with Gomez ranked 22nd, as I said, Gomez has the SECOND WORST SHOOTING PERCENTAGE:

The lowest shooting percentages in the NHL top 30 shots on goals:

1) Phanuef, CGY - 2.6%
2) Gomez, NYR - 5.5%
3) O'Sullivan, LA - 6.5%
4) M. Koivu, MIN - 8.1%
5) D. Brown, LA - 8.2%
6) Souray, EDM - 8.5%
7) Perry, ANA - 8.7%
8) Guerin, NYI - 9.4%
9) J. Blake, TOR - 9.5%

Everyone else in the top 30 of shots on goal has a shooting percentage of at least 10%, or higher. Gomez is one of only three players in the top 30 in shots on goal to have ten goals or less. Phaneuf has 4, Gomez has 8, O'Sullivan has 9.

Gomez is on pace for 249 shots, which is exactly what he's averaged every year since the lockout. He had a flukey year where he scored 33 goals in 05-06 (with a highly irregular shooting percentage of 13.5, the only time that stat has ever gotten to 10 or more in his career), the only time he's even gotten to 20 goals in his 8 year career. He must have liked scoring goals, because he doesn't stop shooting. But how many years does it take to realize that was a fluke?

Since that season, he's been taking 240-250 shots a year and his percentages have been 5.2, 6.6, and now 5.6. This didn't start with the Rangers, this started with the Devils. This man has horrendous shot and he's clearly being paid tons of money to be a playmaker. STOP SHOOTING THE PUCK. It's not like his shots usually create chances or rebounds, they're usually swallowed up by the goaltender or go way wide. He throws away several offensive zone opportunities a game because he just gives the puck away to the other team.

I find it mind-boggling that someone thought giving this man 7 million dollars a year for 7 years was a smart move. Toss in the fact that he's always had trouble getting motivated, and it just reeks of stupidity. Ah, but amazingly, Slats managed to top it with the Redden signing a summer later.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 01-19-2009 at 12:49 AM.
NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 01:15 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Fixed.
I dont get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I just don't get it. Did you guys never watch the man play before? Stop making excuses for him, because his game isn't any different than it ever was when he played for NJ. This is how he's always played
This is a man who knows what he is talking about. Analyze the statistics.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 01:21 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
He can't make anything happen out there. I'd trade him for Nylander strait up.
I've watched a handful of caps games as I usually watch the Isles and Devils broadcasts whenever I can, and I actually saw the Captials-Bruins game live saturday night, my aunt works for Exxonmobil and got tickets to their suite. Nylander is not the same player he was before he got hurt in his first year with the Capitals. He's garbage. Overhandles the puck worse than he did here and it means him losing the puck a lot. Gomers may be in a slump and he may not live up to his salary but I would never go back and swap Drury OR Gomez for Nylander, even if the salaries for all players remained the same as they are now.

The free agent market, particularly in capped leagues where teams would rather try and find ways to retain players in their prime, or trade for players since it ends up being cheaper in the end, the free agent market never seems to be stock full of talent and that means inflated prices. Because we didn't adequately start rebuilding until at the earliest a year or two before the lockout. We wasted a lot of drafts in the late '90's. On top of that we sent away a few late bloomers like Marc Savard.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 01:26 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I've watched a handful of caps games as I usually watch the Isles and Devils broadcasts whenever I can, and I actually saw the Captials-Bruins game live saturday night, my aunt works for Exxonmobil and got tickets to their suite. Nylander is not the same player he was before he got hurt in his first year with the Capitals. He's garbage. Overhandles the puck worse than he did here and it means him losing the puck a lot. Gomers may be in a slump and he may not live up to his salary but I would never go back and swap Drury OR Gomez for Nylander, even if the salaries for all players remained the same as they are now.

The free agent market, particularly in capped leagues where teams would rather try and find ways to retain players in their prime, or trade for players since it ends up being cheaper in the end, the free agent market never seems to be stock full of talent and that means inflated prices. Because we didn't adequately start rebuilding until at the earliest a year or two before the lockout. We wasted a lot of drafts in the late '90's. On top of that we sent away a few late bloomers like Marc Savard.
None of these points mean that signing Gomez (or Drury, for that matter) to ridiculous prices was a smart move.

What a ****** Sather is. You look across the river and you have one of the best GMs in all of sports, who says no more than 5 million (which is still an overpayment) for Gomez. Lou realizes that Gomez is not a key to his team's success and is fairly easily replaceable, but Sather, who hasn't done **** in this league since he wasn't associated with a team full of hall of famers, who hasn't done squat in nearly 20 years as a coach or GM, snatches him right up and pays him 10 million dollars a season. What a ****ing ******.

Old
01-19-2009, 01:32 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Id LOVE to bump the Gomez signing thread...there were maybe 3 people on this entire board, including myself that said this would be a colossal failure of a signing.

He and Drury, 2 worst offseason signings ever...followed by Redden which overtook those 2 as the worst offseason signing ever.

Terrible management by Sather, particularly the years.

I could stomach Gomez for 3 years and Drury for 2, because then theyd be stopgap players. 7 and 5, with 6 for Redden?

Frigging disgusting.
why is it that on the internet it's so easy to act like general managers can sign whoever they want to whatever terms? I'm sure Sather definately wanted Wade Redden for 6 years when he's got Rozy for 4 more and he's got Del Zotto and Sanguinetti on the way and new conttracts coming to Girardi and Staal. You give to get. I guarantee if we didn't sign Redden and he stayed in Ottawa or went to the Islanders(where I bet he has a year kind of like Mark Streit, no pressure, basically get to free lance out there since you're the best player?) everyone would be moaning and groaning.

And Gomez and Drury would be stopgaps at 3 years and 2 years, but for what? What magic powder are you guys snorting that's making you think we have homegrown centers that will be ready for the nhl anytime soon? Anisimov's name keeps popping up but it always seems like every year it's "next year this kid will be ready." Who else? Dubi is showing he's not ready to be a #1 center still, and there is no one else in the system. Is Blair Betts going to center our 2nd line? Is Tommy Pyatt going to center the 4th line? We have no centers in the system to be stopgap players. And we didn't then. Hence signing the two best centers on the market when we did.

Old
01-19-2009, 01:34 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petemo View Post

Him and Drury are terrible.

yeah, because it was a 5 on 3. Do you know nothing about the triangle? :

Old
01-19-2009, 03:09 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
why is it that on the internet it's so easy to act like general managers can sign whoever they want to whatever terms? I'm sure Sather definately wanted Wade Redden for 6 years when he's got Rozy for 4 more and he's got Del Zotto and Sanguinetti on the way and new conttracts coming to Girardi and Staal. You give to get. I guarantee if we didn't sign Redden and he stayed in Ottawa or went to the Islanders(where I bet he has a year kind of like Mark Streit, no pressure, basically get to free lance out there since you're the best player?) everyone would be moaning and groaning.
Wade Redden wouldn't have stayed in Ottawa, because their fans booed him out of town and the Sens offered him 2 million a year, in an effort to pretend like they wanted him back when they obviously didn't. What exactly are you basing it on that he would be just as successful as Streit with the Islanders? Is it the fact that he's slow and possesses none of the offensive skills that Streit does, or is it the fact that he's been atrocious for almost three straight seasons now?

Considering, all in ONE post recently, you've offered up gems like Mats Sundin isn't a "tough" player, something to the accord of Eric Lindros not being a scary player to play against, and Aaron Voros being better than a healthy scratch caliber player, I'll take your predictions with a grain of salt.

Quote:
And Gomez and Drury would be stopgaps at 3 years and 2 years, but for what? What magic powder are you guys snorting that's making you think we have homegrown centers that will be ready for the nhl anytime soon? Anisimov's name keeps popping up but it always seems like every year it's "next year this kid will be ready." Who else? Dubi is showing he's not ready to be a #1 center still, and there is no one else in the system. Is Blair Betts going to center our 2nd line? Is Tommy Pyatt going to center the 4th line? We have no centers in the system to be stopgap players. And we didn't then. Hence signing the two best centers on the market when we did.
Here's a thought: maybe instead of signing the "best centers on the market" during the WORST FREE AGENT OFF-SEASON in recent memory to long and highly overpriced contracts in a salary cap league, you could sign lesser players to smaller and shorter contracts, allowing you to play just as much youth as you're playing now and accumulate some higher draft picks. I'd rather do that for 2-3 years then spend the next 5-6 years getting eliminated from the playoffs in the first or second round. Considering, as YOU said, we don't have many great prospects (especially not scoring wingers which we desperately need), nor do we have the salary cap space to improve our team VIA free agency, why would you expect anything more than early round exits for the next half-decade?

Even if you say we wouldn't get the top, top picks because we have Lundqvist, I'd still rather get the 10th pick in the draft for 2-3 years then get the 18th and get eliminated in the first or second round every season. This team isn't making any progress, and there isn't any indicator that it's on the path toward making progress, and the biggest reasons for that are the presence of Glen Sather and his three prize acquisitions.

Old
01-19-2009, 03:20 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Drury and his contract are fine. 7 million for 3 more years, it's really not that bad, it's better then Gomez's.

It's his first year as captain, and you can see he's starting to come around. He's starting to show more passion in his game, did you see him against chicago the other night? He's not just the highest goal scorer on this team, he's the best one. His wrist shot is hard and fast, his one timer is perfect, and he is one of the best deflection-ists (if you will) I have ever seen. We just don't have the calibre forward or system that he played well with in Buffalo. Drury needs to be camped out in front of the net, and needs to be fed slow wrist shots to deflect, and rebounds to pound in. That's his game, we aren't giving it to him, and he is still doing just fine.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 03:22 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Drury and his contract are fine. 7 million for 3 more years, it's really not that bad, it's better then Gomez's.

It's his first year as captain, and you can see he's starting to come around. He's starting to show more passion in his game, did you see him against chicago the other night? He's not just the highest goal scorer on this team, he's the best one. His wrist shot is hard and fast, his one timer is perfect, and he is one of the best deflection-ists (if you will) I have ever seen. We just don't have the calibre forward or system that he played well with in Buffalo. Drury needs to be camped out in front of the net, and needs to be fed slow wrist shots to deflect, and rebounds to pound in. That's his game, we aren't giving it to him, and he is still doing just fine.
Drury exceled in Buffalo because he played with skilled and talented, speedy, shifty wingers, like Pominville. Genius Sather obviously thought Dawes and Callahan and Prucha were the same caliber player. Obviously he was wrong.

Old
01-19-2009, 03:36 AM
t3hg00se

Quote:
Drury exceled in Buffalo because he played with skilled and talented, speedy, shifty wingers, like Pominville. Genius Sather obviously thought Dawes and Callahan and Prucha were the same caliber player. Obviously he was wrong.
Actually, Sather obviously thought Jaromir Jagr was that calibre player, as he said when he made the Gomez/Drury signings. They were both signed to get Jagr a center. He couldn't have forseen Drury not meshing with Jagr.

This team has players of Pominville's character, he's no franchise player. Zherdev is more talented, speedy, and shifty then Pominville ever was and will be. Drury hasn't seen play time with most of the talent on this team, he hasn't even centered Naslund yet. He's the best goal scorer on this team and he plays with the worst play makers on our roster.

Old
01-19-2009, 03:41 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Actually, Sather obviously thought Jaromir Jagr was that calibre player, as he said when he made the Gomez/Drury signings. They were both signed to get Jagr a center. He couldn't have forseen Drury not meshing with Jagr.
Please show me one quote where Sather said he expected Drury to mesh with Jagr.

Quote:
This team has players of Pominville's character, he's no franchise player. Zherdev is more talented, speedy, and shifty then Pominville ever was and will be. Drury hasn't seen play time with most of the talent on this team, he hasn't even centered Naslund yet. He's the best goal scorer on this team and he plays with the worst play makers on our roster.
Why are you comparing Pominville and Zherdev? They are not the same type of player. And why are you trying to convince me that Drury is good. Please show me one instance when I said Drury was bad. One look at the team's roster shows that it was very clear what the Rangers were trying to do when they signed Gomez and Drury. They thought they could create a Devils/Sabres hybrid. A great defensive team with a great goalie, but also a team with small, speedy players like the Sabres had when they were really good right after the lockout. Obviously, as with quite a few other things, Sather was dead wrong on that one.

Old
01-19-2009, 03:58 AM
t3hg00se

Quote:
Please show me one quote where Sather said he expected Drury to mesh with Jagr.

Why are you comparing Pominville and Zherdev? They are not the same type of player. And why are you trying to convince me that Drury is good. Please show me one instance when I said Drury was bad. One look at the team's roster shows that it was very clear what the Rangers were trying to do when they signed Gomez and Drury. They thought they could create a Devils/Sabres hybrid. A great defensive team with a great goalie, but also a team with small, speedy players like the Sabres had when they were really good right after the lockout. Obviously, as with quite a few other things, Sather was dead wrong on that one.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/19538556/

I'm not going to go swimming through the internet to find what your looking for, it took me two seconds in google to find that though, it was generally believed that those signings were made to find a center for Jagr. It's the reason Nylander wasn't resigned.

I'm comparing Pominville and Zherdev because even though they do it differently, they are similar players. Zherdev has still yet to play with a strong playmaker, and still puts up good goal scoring numbers but has more of a playmaking touch then Pominville. They are both fast right wingers, who are good at moving the puck, and have great shots.

Old
01-19-2009, 04:20 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/19538556/

I'm not going to go swimming through the internet to find what your looking for, it took me two seconds in google to find that though, it was generally believed that those signings were made to find a center for Jagr. It's the reason Nylander wasn't resigned.
Maybe I expect too much in this regard, because I'm a journalist myself, but that's not a quote. That is the author of the article guessing at possible line combinations. If you recall, when training camp began last season, it was Gomez on Jagr's line, not Drury. Only after that didn't work out did they switch. Obviously, the switch didn't work either.

Quote:
I'm comparing Pominville and Zherdev because even though they do it differently, they are similar players. Zherdev has still yet to play with a strong playmaker, and still puts up good goal scoring numbers but has more of a playmaking touch then Pominville. They are both fast right wingers, who are good at moving the puck, and have great shots.
Because they do it differently is exactly why they aren't "similar players". They may share certain similar attributes, and put up somewhat similar numbers, but they play the game a different way. The way a guy like Pominville (and it wasn't just him by the way, the Sabres had a bunch of guys of his type when Drury was there) plays meshes really well with Drury. I don't know if Zherdev and Drury would be quite as successful. That said, before the season, I was hoping that Zherdev would play with Drury and Dubinsky, with Dubi on the wing. But I never expected Drury to score 35 goals. This team just doesn't have the kind of players necessary for him to excel, just like it doesn't have the players necessary for Gomez to excel.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 01-19-2009 at 04:26 AM.